sykotek

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sykotek
tomaste wrote:Try saying Triacipedis

@tomaste: That's awesome! I definitely need to read more carefully, I originally thought is said Tripredacus. ...didn't really make sense to me why it'd be named after something from Transformers.

eh...I'm tired of waiting, in for 1.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
sykotek wrote:Serious question:
Has there ever been a bad woot! cellar release?

IIRC, the sparking Woot Cellar wine (Reboot) was considered not good. However, you had to buy it for the label!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24

Last wooter to woot: auggie24

Been toooooo long, w.w. Glad we could meet again for a case of your whites!

RRichmo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RRichmo

As a member of the Woot Cellars=Autobuy Club, in for a case.

DarthMTS47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DarthMTS47

It's a sign! We just finished our last bottle of the 2008 Triacipedis last night! In for one at least!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:Insert swear words in 3 different languages. Just as I'm leaving on an extended trip this comes up. I cant buy any more wine, and really dont need 6 especially because I wasnt a huge fan of Triacepedis but I loved the Rhino. So anyone not need all 6 in upstate Ny. Otherwise I just got to home this comes up in a woot off or something, or someone wants to part with it at some point. "Continues muttering and swearing"

We can easily be persuaded to part with a couple from our allotment. Have a great trip, and enjoy your time in the homeland. See you in July, if not before.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

FergyinDaATL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FergyinDaATL
deadlyapp wrote:I think I'm going to have to go in on this one. I'm almost out of my case of kaleidoscope and this sounds pretty similar based on the stats. I hope it lives up to its original appeal.

The 2008 was very similar to the Kaleidoscope and a great summer wine. In for a 2!

johnsonr3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages johnsonr3

Milady LOVED it last time, and served ice-cold people couldn't stay away from it at early fall bar-b-ques. Glad its being offered again, and earlier in the year this time!

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:IIRC, the sparking Woot Cellar wine (Reboot) was considered not good. However, you had to buy it for the label!

Makes a nice Mimosa, too.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

nmsoonergirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmsoonergirl

In for one because it's my woot birthday, we are totally out of whites, and we eat enough spicy food that I think we'll find uses for this even if it's a tad sweeter than we would typically like.

I would like to gently point out, in case WD is around, that it's getting awfully warm in New Mexico...I'd happily pay a little extra now for summer shipping, or at least I'll hope that these ship relatively soon. I think we are in for a long, hot summer here.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
FergyinDaATL wrote:The 2008 was very similar to the Kaleidoscope and a great summer wine. In for a 2!

If it's similar to the Kaleidoscope, does that mean its QPR is not as good?

taxiguy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taxiguy

I did this last time around. It was the perfect wine for sitting on the porch watching the world go by on a summer's evening. This is a no brainer.

It's only money...

lahargis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lahargis

Easy buy!

Did I miss the anecdote to the Poizin? Gees, I have been busy!

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
random122 wrote:If it's similar to the Kaleidoscope, does that mean its QPR is not as good?

It's $10/btl. It is designed to be a "summer sipper". At the absolute worst, QPR=1. Honestly speaking, what more are you expecting?

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Let's talk more about this residual sugar. 21g/l (2%) is off my radar charts as far as tastes I'm familiar with. First of all, I'm a 95% red wine drinker (think dry red). I've had sweet dessert wines, but I don't think I've ever had a true (decent) semi-sweet wine.

Can someone just chime in generically on what you have experienced with some decent semi-sweet wines, and I'll wait patiently for the rats!

THANKS!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Kailadriel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel

My time has come. Wednesday night, I received the email. Thursday afternoon, I received my golden ticket. Yes, I have become one of the few, the chosen…the lab rats.

I received the Triacipedis – The Minotaurs Chalice, a 2010 California white. After squealing with delight, I sat down to the onerous task of finding people to drink with me. I came up with the brilliant idea of taking this wine to girls’ night. So, as a plus, you get the reviews of FOUR different drinkers! We paired this wine with some New York pizza, (pineapple pizza, to be specific). Names have been changed to protect the identities of the innocent.

To start, we chilled the wine for an hour or two in the fridge, and then took the plunge....

Kailadriel’s tasting notes: The wine is a pale gold color, with just a light tinge of green. When just out of the bottle, it smells strongly of apple and grass. A quick taste reaffirms this, hitting the middle of your tongue with a strong burst of sweet apple, but that fades into a strong, tart grassy finish in the back and sides of your mouth.
As it continues to bloom, a bit of honeysuckle comes through. The wine comes across as not quite sweet, but definitely leaning towards it.

Paired with the pineapple pizza, the wonderful flavors of apple and honeysuckle disappear, being overwhelmed by the food. The flavors of grass and a hint of honeysuckle remain, which makes this okay to eat by, but I definitely preferred it chilled and alone.

Thirty minutes after opening, the apple fades away, leaving behind grassy, herbal notes, and the floral notes are starting to become a lot more prominent. A hint of citrus appears as well.

An hour after opening, the floral notes overwhelm, and the wine is much looser, the flavors feel fully developed. A touch of grass and herbal notes remains, but it reminds me more of lemongrass than a fresh cut lawn.

Poop Sandwich’s tasting notes: The color is almost like champagne. Like the crayola color champagne. I would most definitely drink this. Often. When I took a sip straight out of the bottle, it was almost bubbly, with a zesty tang to it. An hour after we popped the cork, it’s an extremely floral wine.

Cuddlemonger’s tasting notes: It is a clear golden color. I have a floral nose right off the bat. A sip right after corking it gives a sweet beginning with a mild bloom. It is similar to a White French Riesling. An hour after opening, it had a very strong bloom.

Language and Literature’s tasting notes: It is pear colored. It smells like wine. A fruity wine, kind of like a juicy pear or apple. It tastes like green apple, kind of tart. It’s pretty damn good wine – and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t usually like wine. The bottle is hilarious and awesome and I would buy it just for that.

A final review:
Language&Literature and Poop Sandwich: I would drink this *insert curse word of your choice here* 8/10 times.
Cuddlemonger: I greatly enjoyed this wine. I would drink it again.
Kailadriel: I am regretting purchasing 6 bottles of white wine earlier this week because it means I cannot buy this awesome wine. If you like floral/fruity whites that have a nice tart balance, you must buy this wine. I’d give it a 8.5 out of 10.

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Excellent work, Kailadriel and friends! I think this will answer some of the questions on the boards right now. Thank you! (And maybe you can split an order with one of your fellow tasters?)

goneferal

quality posts: 19 Private Messages goneferal
tomaste wrote:Woot Cellars = autobuy!

Also, if you weren't around for the first one there's a super secret Woot style message in the name!

Try saying Triacipedis with a Bronx, NY accent.

If it still doesn't come to you, here is the answer. ;)

http://spoilertext.com/d6

I decided earlier in the night that I was going to sound it out, like hooked on phonics, till I could say the name of that dinosaur on the label right. I just busted out laughing when I heard what I was saying. You got me, wine woot. Oh yeah, in for one.

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
jhkey wrote:Let's talk more about this residual sugar. 21g/l (2%) is off my radar charts as far as tastes I'm familiar with. First of all, I'm a 95% red wine drinker (think dry red). I've had sweet dessert wines, but I don't think I've ever had a true (decent) semi-sweet wine.

Can someone just chime in generically on what you have experienced with some decent semi-sweet wines, and I'll wait patiently for the rats!

THANKS!

No rats needed here JH...this is autobuy! Gotta have a little white in the cellar...eat more fish!

In for 2. Probably the best woot cellar wine since I was inducted.

BTW...got my Kaleidescope in yesterday...yummy.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

jaredmac11

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jaredmac11
jhkey wrote:Let's talk more about this residual sugar. 21g/l (2%) is off my radar charts as far as tastes I'm familiar with. First of all, I'm a 95% red wine drinker (think dry red). I've had sweet dessert wines, but I don't think I've ever had a true (decent) semi-sweet wine.

THANKS!

I am the worst of the worst when it comes to describing wines-- I know what I am and that's a infantile, newbile wine drinker. Especially for whites. But 'semi-sweet' whites have been my favorite whites. Perhaps that's due to an uneducated palate.

I find dry whites to be often dull and not well balanced. However, semi-sweet wines are typically more enjoyable. I just find there is more to pick apart.

Now, I have had a sweet(apologies if this is the improper word; 'fruity'?) 'dry' wine but that was an expensive bottle shared with me by a friend who knows alot more than I. It was most certainly a treat.

At $10 I don't really see how you could go wrong experimenting with semi-sweet.

Kailadriel

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kailadriel
cjsiege wrote:Excellent work, Kailadriel and friends! I think this will answer some of the questions on the boards right now. Thank you! (And maybe you can split an order with one of your fellow tasters?)

They are cheap and prefer to mooch....but would anyone in Manhattan like to split? Pleeeeeeeaaaaase?

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
cjsiege wrote:It's $10/btl. It is designed to be a "summer sipper". At the absolute worst, QPR=1. Honestly speaking, what more are you expecting?

Relative QPR. And really just any reason not to buy. I'm sure the rats won't help with this any. Just seeing "Woot Cellars..." already makes it hard enough.

jackiecanev2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jackiecanev2

My day off thus far: sleep in, make coffee, check wine.woot, mutter about the Amex, stare longingly at the one remaining bottle of Triacipedis on the wall, click the button for two, mutter about the Amex.

Here's to hoping it holds up to the original!

smitty8

quality posts: 3 Private Messages smitty8
Alison Gail Bixby wrote:Well, I'm trusting all of you whose comments I've been reading about this wine for so long now. In for two. Just when I told Mr. FedEx Man that I was giving him a break.. I've really enjoyed the Kaliedoscope which everyone seems to compare this to, but this is worth it for the label alone.

That's exactly what I told my FedEx guy on Wed. Oops.

krapfmr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krapfmr

Gah, payday today. Bank account is now $125 lighter. However, the wife will be pleased with this purchase.

Now if we can bring back the Albino Rhino...soon please...

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Well hi everyone! I had a feeling this would be showing up today. WD exceedingly kindly sent us a couple of bottles for the Detroit gathering this past Saturday. So theomach, tommythecat78, Zoomba77, and cyborgdo11 and I all got to try this (along with all the others who were tagalongs).

It was a mixed bag of which was preferred - the original Triacipedis or this one. The label's much more awesome, hands down. Me, personally, I preferred the new one. We tasted them side-by-side, so bear in mind that the original is now a few years in the bottle. Some were saying that they enjoyed the original Triacipedis better when it was new but side-by-side right now, this one is better.

It has a good clear color, very pale as is to be expected from a new white. There was a very aromatic component to hit, honey and apricot, some floral. The acid hit the palate like a refreshing splash of water - not effervescent, but fresh as if it were. The flavor of apricot hit first, settling into peach and green apple with a touch of minerality and grassiness. We couldn't figure out at the time what was in it (it's not listed on the label), but seeing the composition now makes a lot of sense.

The finish was clean, and the first bottle went fast. We had so much wine to go through that we never got around to opening the second bottle, so it is currently happily residing in my cellar, likely to be pulled out this weekend. Excellent summer wine - I heartily recommend serving it nicely chilled to get that refreshment from it, and then sipping your way through it as it warms up, for the full experience.

Everyone was asking when this would show up - I'd told them that generally when WD starts handing them out to gatherings, it's typically within a week or two. Here it is a week later! Now the only question is - 1 or 2...?

Edit: 2% RS? Really? Wow. Doesn't come across as "sweet" at all. Crisp, fresh, fruity... not sweet.

Also: For up to 4 players, level 21 and over.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote: ... Now the only question is - 1 or 2...?

How soon we forget. Re-read #10.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:How soon we forget. Re-read #10.

Yes but I've already made like 2 purchases THIS WEEK. I is really poor now.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

orthancstone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages orthancstone
cheron98 wrote:Edit: 2% RS? Really? Wow. Doesn't come across as "sweet" at all. Crisp, fresh, fruity... not sweet.

I think that just sold me (as if Woot Cellars didn't).

melrod333

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melrod333
cheron98 wrote:

It was a mixed bag of which was preferred - the original Triacipedis or this one. The label's much more awesome, hands down. Me, personally, I preferred the new one. We tasted them side-by-side, so bear in mind that the original is now a few years in the bottle. Some were saying that they enjoyed the original Triacipedis better when it was new but side-by-side right now, this one is better.

Thanks Cheron for this little snippet in your awesome pseudo-rat info. I promised SWMBO that I would hold off for some opinions if it was as good as the original before I pushed the big gold button. This gave me the perfect excuse to up the order from one to two.
We will now have the *discussion* that there is no room for 2 in the cellar, guess I am just going to have to start drinking more wine. The HORROR!

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

Ugh, woot cellars is auto buy for me, but i still have 4 rhinos among a bunch of other white wine, and live in Seattle where it is warm enough to drink white wine, like, twice a year (currently 49 degrees, with a high of 51...at least this is 15 degrees below normal). I'm still in, as Triacip the first was delicious and paired well with Asian food even in winter!

peterman99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterman99

In for one, and my first ever wine.woot buy!

klovings

quality posts: 1 Private Messages klovings

A dilemma for me this morning. After getting in on a woot earlier this week (that I split with a friend), I find that this one sounds better. I'm not sure that my husband would be thrilled to see another woot box at the door though.

I just finished off my first bottle of the Kaleidoscope and really enjoyed it. The taste was right up my alley as a wine drinker. For those of you who might have had both, how will this compare? It might help make my decision or help me get another friend who enjoyed the Kaleidoscope on board for a split.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Kailadriel wrote:They are cheap and prefer to mooch....but would anyone in Manhattan like to split? Pleeeeeeeaaaaase?

I'm highly tempted to order a second case (last time the Triacip came out, I had more than a case for myself) as this is guaranteed to be just awesome juice. Between myself & my mom I believe we went through at least 2 cases.
I'm out east on LI, but I'm in the city often enough (and we still need to get the next NYC Woot Tasting going, so any exchanges can take place then too.....as long as you head on over to the thread and decide to join us. *hint* *hint*
Toss me a PM if you want to somehow split up another case, especially if there are any other NYC/LI'ers who want a portion of a case.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

wkdpanda

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wkdpanda
kitcatbrat wrote:The vessel with the pestle has the pellet with the poison. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.

What a classic. And I am surprised only one other person has picked up the reference.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy

I've never tried a Woot Cellar... Judging from all the autobuys here I guess its about time I did.

hookajoe

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hookajoe
cheron98 wrote:
Edit: 2% RS? Really? Wow. Doesn't come across as "sweet" at all. Crisp, fresh, fruity... not sweet.

That's all I was waiting to hear. In for a case!

runtlee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages runtlee

Ahhhh to be back to wine.woot again! After a very VERY long hiatus from purchasing wine on the internet, I find an email from WD Wednesday evening telling me to expect a bottle of Triacipedis II on Thursday!! AGAIN I have been chosen to rat this wine... thats right... AGAIN!! I was one of the lucky chosen to labrat the 2008 Triacipedis! Unfortunately, I no longer have any of the '08 in the rack. To be honest, I dont think that any of it made it more than 30 days from the delivery :-).

I haven't opened it yet, as I was at work all day (and most of the night). However, I just put the chill on it, and will be popping the cork in mere moments!! Stay tuned... tasting notes to follow.

sdilullo

quality posts: 37 Private Messages sdilullo

Thanks for all the great reports, Rats.

I'm still somewhat on the fence, even though I've never pushed the big button on a Woot Cellars release and have been dying to get in on one.

Lots of people seem to be saying that if you love the Kaleidoscope, you'll love this. And I didn't love the Kaleidoscope, though it was good. Here's what I said about it in the thread from the Woot-Off:

sdilullo wrote:Cracked open a bottle while relaxing outside in the low-80s heat of SE Michigan.

I'll be honest (and brief - no fancy tasting notes on this bottle, 11 more to go and I'll do so next time!) and say that it was good but I didn't love it. The tart/sweet balance wasn't perfect for me. I was drinking it alone, no food, almost immediately after pouring.

The other half felt similarly - she also liked it, but wasn't in love. On the other hand, we both agreed that it's a great wine for $7/bottle.

Maybe it was just the day, the time, whatever... we're both looking forward to trying it again soon.

Oh, and the bottles are indeed gorgeous!

Sooooo... to buy or not to buy? Anyone have any extra insight?

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 255
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

flowerchild59

quality posts: 24 Private Messages flowerchild59

I have purchased this twice in the last few years. I remember it being a very nice, easy, not too dry, drinking wine. (So even my wine friends that don't like white wine liked this one too). The name and the label stood out in my memory. It is an auto buy for me.

On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.