InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
richardhod wrote:It's not dead, it's probably pining for the fjords.

Sounds as if we have dead RATS though!

They're not dead, they're resting!

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx
bblewitt wrote:I'm not sold on the Gazzi - the Chard was very different and when served to a dinner group I got very mixed responses. It just wasn't something I enjoyed that much, but I really wanted this to be good. The reds were decent and I think good for the price point - if not a tad green.

I'm on the opposite side -- I don't care for the typical California chardonnay that's oaky/buttery/gross but prefer a European style or White Burgundy chardonnay. To me, Gazzi was great since it wasn't oaky/buttery, but if that's the style that someone prefers, then they wouldn't like the Gazzi. I was hoping to see Gazzi on the wootoff, but then remembered it sold out. Still wish for me.

To the person that thought it tasted like vinegar -- something was definitely wrong with the bottle, likely getting cooked as someone else pointed out.

For the Gazzi red's, I loved them both, especially the one that had Shiraz blended in (I think it was the 2007). They weren't like typical Pinot Noir's either, which I don't generally care for, so if that's what someone was expecting, the Gazzi wasn't for them.

grubber

quality posts: 2 Private Messages grubber

Is this a sign? The banner ad above is for 'The Arbor - Premier Texas Drug Rehab'

I think maybe I don't need another case of wine today...

noslensj

quality posts: 44 Private Messages noslensj
richardhod wrote:It's not dead, it's probably pining for the fjords.

InFrom wrote:They're not dead, they're resting!

Are those African rats or European rats?

greggarcia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greggarcia
richardhod wrote:

Seems like "somebody" is chomping at the bit! Just hold your horses folks... Apparently, I was one of those souls chosen to receive A Golden Ticket, and FedEx claims a package which requires a signature will arrive by 3:00PM (West Coast Time). When it arrives, I'll check the bottle temp and adjust as needed, and will be sharing with a couple of friends. This will all take another few hours so... Please stand by.

divadrabnud

quality posts: 8 Private Messages divadrabnud

1:27 p.m. PST - Vino just arrived gents (and ladies), one of each. Unscrewed the red and poured a glass. Fruity nose - let's give it 20 minutes to a half-hour to breath (or age for that matter considering the youth here.)

Chard went onto ice. We'll chill that one up for about the same amount of time.

The "Golden Ticket" from WineDavid39 is a nice touch - I feel special.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
- Mark Twain

semirose

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semirose
divadrabnud wrote:
1:27 p.m. PST - Vino just arrived gents (and ladies), one of each.

Oh! That explains the weight, I was like wow does one bottle of wine really weigh that much when I saw the tracking info.

Still at work folks but FedEx called earlier to say the package was being held for me so I'll pick it up on the way home.

divadrabnud

1:57 p.m. PST - Chardonnay slightly chilled. The label copy is identical but for the varietal name, location, and alcohol content. Not a lot of wasted effort here.

Hate to say it, but they nailed it here:

A very pleasant, round chardonnay with notes of fresh apple and light oak, crisp, clean finish. As dinner is a ways off, I am presently pairing this with some Trader Joe's dry-roasted almonds - unsalted.

The "very" is unnecessary, but it is pleasant. You can smell the oak in the glass, and slightly less to the taste - certainly not over-bearing. No butter, no vanilla - none of that sissy malolactic stuff. Definitely green apples - crisp and clean and cheap. Rivals any of the $10 and under Chards you'll find in the local (California) market.

- Mark Twain

TrippingOverDogs

quality posts: 5 Private Messages TrippingOverDogs

RAT REPORT ON THE WAY

Hey folks. Drove 5 1/2 hrs across two states to beat Fed-X home so I could Rat for you. Just got in a few minutes ago and the wine is warm from traveling around on a truck in south Georgia, so give me a bit of time to cool things off and I'll get back to you . . .

divadrabnud

2:24 p.m. PST - Cab has had just about an hour to breathe in the glass. Let me start by saying that although I fully expected the Chardonnay to be quite drinkable, I had my doubts about a 2009 Cab (read: grape juice fruit bomb) and expected to be gargling with this one.

Boy, what a surprise. Clearly the lower alcohol (13.9%) helps here, but the first thing you notice is the absence of over powering fruit and the presence of tannins. Nice acid level (but do I already feel a slight headache coming on?) Bring it to me! Much better than anticipated, especially coming from one who would never, repeat NEVER, purchase a screw-top Cab, never mind one under two years-old. :sumo: Note that 7,034 cases were produced (coming soon to your local house wine!)

I disagree with the review here somewhat as I wouldn't call it rich or full or having juicy fruit:

A rich, full wine with youthful, juicy fruit; easy tannin on the palate and cedar undertones; smooth, fleshy mouth feel with a balanced finish. Pairing suggestions: Grilled meat or pasta dishes,

But I do agree that the tannins are nice, very drinkable right now, and definitely has cedar undertones / finish. I am presently pairing this with marinated artichoke hearts and wheat crackers.

A mixed case that I would never have pulled the trigger on, was actually worth taking time out from my day to enjoy and labrat.

cheers,

divadrabnud

- Mark Twain

texacaliali

quality posts: 137 Private Messages texacaliali

Guest Blogger

I did not have a chance to taste this offering but did become very familiar with Vina Robles after their 2006 Vina Robles “Suendero" won the Grand Champion award at the 2009 Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo International Wine Competition a few years back. Quality producer. This bottle beat out hundreds of wines...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/life/food/wine/6242381.html

*WineDavid is my boss!

WineDavid was my Boss!

maarck

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maarck
Kao1138 wrote:I'd also be interested in knowing especially for the Chardonnay whether it was aged in oak or not.

The Chardonnay was aged in tank and in neutral oak barrel, aged for 12 months.

maarck

Kao1138 wrote:I'd also be interested in knowing especially for the Chardonnay whether it was aged in oak or not.

Hello -- The chardonnay was aged in tank and in neutral oak for 12 months.

maarck

Kao1138 wrote:What's the drinking window on these, especially considering the very recent bottling date?

Kao1138,

Those are fruity wines, easy drinking, fresh to open now. Made in that style to enjoy young.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
noslensj wrote:Are those African rats or European rats?

They're Norwegian Blues!

jeroly

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jeroly

Lab Rat Report

My first Lab Rat Fedex package ever arrived about three hours ago, and I must say I was fairly disappointed at the start. What was that lightly colored stuff in one of the bottles...wait, if memory serves me correctly, it must be white wine! I have never ordered one of those from Woot in the 196 or so bottles I've purchased over the last 4+ years, so why they want me to be ratting on the winemakers is a bit of a mystery...the process must really be more random than I thought.

The second bit of info I was bummed about was the fact that there is no cork in the bottles. Now I know that everybody says that the new twist-off technology is better than corks, and even more expensive so it's not about the winery trying to save a buck, but my issue with the twist-offs is what happens after you open the bottle. You see, I often don't get through an entire bottle at a time (or I'll go through more than one but less than two, or I'll finish the previous nights, start another, and... well you get the idea), and it's been my experience that my re-corking methodology, which is putting it under a semi-vacuum using the V-Gauge sealer, often doesn't work well with the twist-offs as the neck of the bottle is just that slight amount wider so that it ruins the ability to get a good seal.

Well, I figured that since it's a 2009 I'd better open it up ASAP as it would probably benefit from significant breathing. I poured a little into my favorite wine glass (crystal, to make myself feel like an English squire), gave it a swirl (strangely in the first pour there weren't 'legs' as such although it did cling to the sides of the glass like a high-tide mark, but without the legs effect - this phenomenon went away in the second pour), and gave it a sniff. Not a huge amount of aroma...I know I should say there were hints of blueberry, tobacco, and dirt, but I've never been able to pick up that kind of stuff in a sniff - I guess I never hunted truffles in a previous life). Then the taste - nice!

Well, nice in the 'that's a nice wine to have with a hamburger' or 'that's a nice wine to have with some cheese' or 'that's a nice wine to drink at a beach party' sense. It's seems to be a bit on the sweeter side while still readily identifiable as a cab sauv, perhaps a little 'fruity' while being low in tannins. I was surprised to find myself thinking that it was drinkable immediately (that was funny to think about a few minutes ago while I was reading the comments about wines that weren't given enough time - no such problems here!)

I decanted the bottle (my hunch was right - I couldn't vacuum-seal the bottle with V-Gauge) and let it sit some more. Second taste seemed pretty much the same. I left it in the decanter; I'll finish my half of the bottle as well as see if it fits in the 'nice with an eggplant parmigiana hero' category in about half an hour. When that's done, I'll check back in here with the follow-up as well as the feedback from my SO, and later tonight I'll get very very brave and try the chardonnay - it's been about 25 years since I bought a bottle of that, as when I do drink white wine I tend to go for Pinot Grigio (when my SO opens a bottle and I'm too lazy or cheap to start another bottle of red) or Sancerre (on rare occasions, usually when I have fish in a french restuarant).

TrippingOverDogs

LAB RAT REPORT!

This is my first rat, so thanks for giving me the opportunity. And for those of you who think you may never get the chance, don’t despair. I signed up to rat a year and a half ago at the same time I bought my first Woot, and then I forgot all about it. I have enjoyed staying in the background, reading all of your notes, and buying wines when I simply couldn’t resist. So it was a complete surprise when I received an email saying that I’d been chosen to write a review, and although we’d planned on driving home today, anyway, I like to think of it as Karma that my first rat brought me home. Now I’m bringing it home to you. This is for the 2009 Karma Cabernet:

Pop and pour, or rather, screw and pour. (Did I just say that?):

Wine is bright and clear. Color is medium red, actually a little lighter than most cabs I am used to. With a swirl and sniff, there is no “explosion,” but a light to medium intensity on the nose, and, rather than red fruits, I detect some blackberry. My husband kept thinking there was some cocoa in there somewhere, and on subsequent sniffs, I found something else very light in the background, not exactly mushroom, but close. This is not a powerhouse cabernet. It is medium bodied, but with a definite tannin kick in a good way, something I was not expecting.

After an hour or so in the glass:

I came back in from the garden to have another go and was pleasantly surprised. I am sure I had preconceived ideas of an $8 bottle of wine, and normally, I probably wouldn’t bother to pay that much attention to the difference an hour later. This one had opened up. There was much more fruit, more sour cherry now, and some licorice, but balanced by the very noticeable tannins, not soft, but not harsh or astringent, with finish under two minutes. If you have the room and are in need of some inexpensive wine to tide you over until that $60 bottle is at its peak, or you have a backyard summer barbeque coming up and don't want to waste the Barbera on Uncle Bubba, for 8 bucks a bottle I don’t think you’ll go wrong here.

TrippingOverDogs

Lab Rat Report #2: Karma Chardonnay

Put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up . . . The California Karma Chardonnay has fresh fruity aromas, actually more pineapple than lime, but with citrusy overtones and coconut. Definitely no fruit bomb here, rather dry and crisp. I don’t drink a lot of white wine, especially chardonnay, and am loath to spend more than $10-15 a bottle, so this one is right up my alley. I can’t speak for true chardonnay lovers, but for red wine drinkers who want an occasional cool summer alternative this could be your deal.

greggarcia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greggarcia

Greetings fellow Wootophiles and Oenophiles,

After 18 months of faithful Wooting, and having earned my Black Box in Wootery, a Golden Ticket hath blown my way. First time Rat and I’ll admit that I've never been much of a tasting note keeper, preferring to simply relax and enjoy. In order to establish a baseline, I would say that my taste in wine tends to be about 90% + Dry Red Wine with an occasional Dry White and on a rare occasion a Dessert Wine. Within the Dry Red category, I especially enjoy nice Pinot Noir (I liked the Davis Family PN and the Expression 44), or other varietals such as a good Cabernet Sauvignon or Zinfandel (Pedroncelli Pedroni-Bushnell) or Sangiovese (Vino Noceto).

FedEx arrived at 2:45 PM and the bottle temperature measured 73 degrees, so they both spent a few minutes in the fridge to achieve more proper temperatures. The Chardonnay was chilled to 55 degrees and the Cabernet was pulled out at 62 degrees.

Tasters included myself, and friends Jim and Jennifer.

We paired the wines with some Barely Buzzed Cheese, Dr. Kracker Classic Crackers, TJ's Mixed Raisins and Raw Almonds. Both bottles were simply unscrewed and poured.

As regards the Chardonnay, I got some floral notes and a definite tropical fruit nose and taste of pineapple and enjoyed the crispness. The Cabernet had some tannin, but was pretty smooth… I can’t place the fruit, but I would say a mix of raisin perhaps, though not in a stewed fruit sense, and maybe some sour cherry notes, but not too distinct to my nose and taste buds.

Jennifer detected a bitter aftertaste in the Cabernet, which I think was her interpretation of the tannins. Though not a fan of Chardonnay, she enjoyed it and found it to be crisp and clean… a summer delight she said.

Jim found the Cabernet to be fairly smooth, and thought that it became smoother over time. He was surprised upon learning of the price and felt it was better than the price would have suggested.

I thought I would be passing on this offer, in part because my two small wine fridges are filled with the "good stuff" and there are cardboard boxes stacked under and around my bed with the everyday drinkers, so another dozen bottles I don't need, but after trying them both I may be splitting a case with my neighbors. I would say that this wine really offers a very good QPR and if you are in the market for some less expensive wines for general entertaining or as an everyday drinker, these wines offer a better bang for the buck than expected.

EDIT: After reading some of the other Lab Rat Reports, I realized that I had neglected to answer the oft asked questions when dealing with Chardonnay... Oak? Butter? So, I concur with others that this Chardonnay was lightly oaked, and sans butter.

semirose

quality posts: 2 Private Messages semirose

So I had a minor freak out yesterday when I got the e-mail saying I'd been chosen, and then another one when I realized my new shift (started Monday) meant I wouldn't be home when Mr. FedEx Kiwi (ahh I'll miss his accent while I'm on days) came knocking with yet another box for me. Luckily the option to hold at a location popped up this morning and I got a call a few hours later saying it was there. And then another minor freak out occurred when I realized everyone I would taste the wine with was either busy or out of town tonight and I'm out of town the rest of the weekend so a Saturday lunch tasting was also out, this amplified when I realized there was not one but two bottles. But still, a glass of each was had and thoughts were thought.

Califronia Karma 2009 Chardonnay; chilled 30 min in fridge.
Sip 1 - holy fruit, pear mostly, very smooth, not as much acid as I'd like
Sip 2; straight after tasting leeks I was making for dinner for doneness - ooo there's the acid I was looking for, still very peary, getting some of that oak.
Sip 3+ - Not much different, still light, crisp, and pleasant.

California Karma 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon
Sip 1; straight after pouring - bit woodsy
Sip 2; 30 min later, with a spoonful of peanut butter because I was hungry - Loads of alcohol, getting something not fruit I don't know how to describe since it's not wood, leather, or spice. Bit of a tart fruit in there.
Sip 3; 1 hr in glass - Happened to be reading the rat reports already posted as I sipped this and someone mentioned sour cherries and my mind was like bam, yes, that's what you're tasting, mmm sour cherries please come in season. Tannins are light and pleasant. Nice finish to go with my puttering around the kitchen.
Sip >4; while eating dinner of sauteed leeks and feta on a slice of crusty yummy bread - Oh that's lovely, fruit really comes out, very smooth, let's have another
Sip the last; with a piece of dark chocolate - Hi tannins, I was wondering where you went, did you miss me? Still cherry.

Verdict;
Chard - nice light mouthfeel, very fruity with a nice bit of oak to balance, no butter. I'd say the acidity falls below Kaleidoscope and above Gazzi Chard (the two whites I've had most recently, I definitely prefer more crispness). Nice summer evening on the porch wine (which I definitely took the last few sips out for even though we went from almost 90 to under 60 in a day so it's not feeling as summer anymore)

CS - First few sips weren't to my liking, mostly alcohol and some wood tones, but after a little bit in the glass it was nice and once I had some food with it it definitely grew on me. The creamy cheese with the leeks really brought out the fruit, mostly cherry and blueberry, and mellowed an already fairly low key wine. It was a decent glass, nothing spectacular but it's a pleasant weekday dinner wine.

PS: That golden ticket definitely went into the folder I have labeled "keep forever"

Ashpoo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Ashpoo

Hooray, I was chosen to be a Lab Rat! Thank you Woot! Unfortunately my package is being held at FedEx right now but luckily they're open on Saturday for pickup. I will issue my report tomorrow night. Thanks again!

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
ratnikov wrote:I opened a bottle of Gazzi Chardonnay the other day and was very surprised to find absolutely no butter, considering it saw both oak and malo-actic fermentation. The effect was rather a very silky and round mouthfeel, somewhat subdued fruit, touch of minerality and excellent overall. My point being that plain stats completely deceived me on that one!

Very happy here with the Gazzi Chardonnay. My Mom, who apparently has a more developed palete then I, was able to taste a bit of butter and oak, but very subdued. We both really liked it. I'm convinced that some folks got bad bottles though from some of the comments left on the original Gazzi discussion (bottle shock, or bad batch, dunno?).

This current offering will be up all weekend eh? :/

bsevern

jbfowlertx wrote:For the Gazzi red's, I loved them both, especially the one that had Shiraz blended in (I think it was the 2007). They weren't like typical Pinot Noir's either, which I don't generally care for, so if that's what someone was expecting, the Gazzi wasn't for them.

It was the 2007 had 15% Syrah, and I agree it was excellent (especially given the cost). Shared both vintages with guests, and while they enjoyed both, the overwhelming favorite was the 2007.

According to the Gazzi website they also bottled Syrah. I asked Scott Harvey if it might possibly make an appearance here, but all I got was crickets in the night

dickb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dickb
joecmrasales wrote:Every Gazzi 2006 Chard bottle I opened was bad... crystals around the cork and a horrible taste.

I thought the Pinot was OK... considering the price.

I, too, had the crystal corks and was disappointed w/the wine. I called customer service and was VERY pleasantly surprised that a new order was placed and a case arrived yesterday, less than 2 weeks after my initial contact. I have not opened a new one yet but am optimistic it could not be twice for the same product...
me in Central Michigan

jeroly

Lab Rat Report #2

Well we polished off the Cabernet Sauvignon last night with a couple of italian heroes (chicken and eggplant parmigiana, not Buffon and Totti). My SO agreed with me pretty much down the line - more than just 'drinkable,' it's really quite enjoyable. Like me, she didn't pick up much aroma but liked what smell she did find, and liked the taste quite a bit. We concurred in our assessment that it doesn't have a huge amount of varietal character but is smooth and pleasant.

In the past we've adopted a 'house wine' that we would keep in larger quantities than our other stashes and drink more often than the rest; the idea was that it would be on the cheaper side, and we'd maybe have it 50-60% of the time. For example, we used to buy Wolftrap in bulk when we could find it for $6 a bottle. We agreed that at $8 1/2 or so a bottle we'd be happy to hail the Karma Cab regularly. Buying a half-case of it for $100 (you see, when I told the SO I'd probably never finish six bottles of Chardonnay in the rest of my life, she corrected me, saying I'd probably not have six _glasses_) is another issue entirely, and I'd say it's not worth $17 a bottle.

We couldn't bring ourselves to try the Chardonnay last night, but I promise to have a bit with lunch tomorrow - I'll have a salade nicoise and that should give the cuilinary space for a little white.

P.S. Looking over the other rodent reports, I see some discussion about the wine opening up significantly after an hour or so. I didn't really detect much of that, but it certainly didn't get worse! Maybe there was an even smoother feel to it after a bit, but I didn't really detect a huge difference given how smooth it seemed right out of the bottle.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
boghogb wrote:I, too, had the crystal corks and was disappointed w/the wine. I called customer service and was VERY pleasantly surprised that a new order was placed and a case arrived yesterday, less than 2 weeks after my initial contact. I have not opened a new one yet but am optimistic it could not be twice for the same product...
me in Central Michigan

In reference to the Gazzi Chard, they will all have crystals on the cork. This is normal and not an issue with wine. Please read thisor google another article about tartrates .

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

rnatalie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages rnatalie
InFrom wrote:They're Norwegian Blues!

Lovely plumage.

Certified Wine Geek

joed10303

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joed10303
jhkey wrote:In reference to the Gazzi Chard, they will all have crystals on the cork. This is normal and not an issue with wine. Please read thisor google another article about tartrates .

how can you say its normal to have crystals on a cork ? i've been drinking wine for over 30 years and this is the first and ONLY time i've had crystals. the gazzi chard wasn't even worth $5. the best of the lot was the 06 pinot. buying wine online is a bit of a gamble sometimes you win and unfortunately sometimes you lose !!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
joed10303 wrote:how can you say its normal to have crystals on a cork ? i've been drinking wine for over 30 years and this is the first and ONLY time i've had crystals. the gazzi chard wasn't even worth $5. the best of the lot was the 06 pinot. buying wine online is a bit of a gamble sometimes you win and unfortunately sometimes you lose !!

Google the phrase "wine crystals on cork", read the articles and get back to us. Thanks.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

bsevern

Although far from an expert, I've been drinking wine for a while too, and have seen tartrate crystals a handful of times on both whites and reds (although mainly on aged whites). Astetically unpleasing perhaps, but completely benign in taste. If there's an odd taste, then something else is going on.

Here's an interesting quote from an online article on this topic of tartrate crystals:

Why are 'Wine Diamonds' or tartrate crystals a sign of quality?

Acids are very much a winemakers friend, as long as they are not excessive, as a high acid wine is going to keep very much better, and longer, than one with a lower acid level which will tend to be lacklustre and flabby.

The crystals themselves are totally harmless, it is just a matter of aesthetics, so next time you come across what looks like sugar granules in the bottom of your wine glass, don't worry, just think 'quality'.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2697588

jeroly

Lab Rat Report #3

We cracked open the Chardonnay this afternoon with our tuna lunch, and I must say it was a pleasant surprise. The SO, who isn't a fan of sweet whites either, suggested we pop it in the freezer for a few minutes before opening to get it even cooler than fridge temperature. Well, it all worked out nicely - it was definitely on the dry end of the Chardonnays ledger, not exactly crisp but not overpoweringly sweet either. It was an enjoyable drink and I could see having it again with fish or perhaps served very cold at a hot summer picnic.

I didn't detect any buttery taste (saw that talked about in prior comments; didn't know about it in wine but have observed it in homebrewed beer that was fermented at too high a temperature - in homebrew it's due to excessive levels of diacetyl. In homebrew it can sometimes be remedied by letting it age for a good amount of time before opening, but I don't know if the same will work for a buttery white wine), and would say that it's not a bad choice for a red wine drinker that needs to bring some white to a party that they may be forced to share in, which is about my highest possible praise for a white!

Well, it's time to scurry off to the nest - cheers, everybody!

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets
joed10303 wrote:how can you say its normal to have crystals on a cork ? i've been drinking wine for over 30 years and this is the first and ONLY time i've had crystals. the gazzi chard wasn't even worth $5. the best of the lot was the 06 pinot. buying wine online is a bit of a gamble sometimes you win and unfortunately sometimes you lose !!

I did not have this wine but I have had many bottles with crystals on the corks mostly reds but whites as well. The crystals are different than black or white sediment as they are faceted, grow in clusters and are usually on the cork but can fall into the bottle. Most of these bottles were very good or great and had some age, none of them were chemically flawed. When I see crystals it is a positive based on my experience with them.

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets

As for this offer, a $100 case of what sounds like a pleasant drink anytime wine is always a good deal. I have 1/2 a case of white on the way and some rose and a bunch of reds and that is just from woot. I'll have to pass.

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

I'll second the recent posts about crystals usually being a good thing - recently lucked into buying a 1999 Riesling Spatlese Mit Pradikat, which then survived an overseas move with me and on finally opening it I was pleased to find the wine was excellent, probably had a few good years left (though the cork was starting to shrink with age) - and then at the bottom of the bottle there were a couple good-sized tartrate crystals left - some pushing a quarter inch. Definitely not a bad thing for such a luscious aged wine!

Now young wines - I don't have much experience with crystals there. And given multiple posts here about bad bottles needing replacement (the Gazzi) it sounds like some of these just got cooked or were inconsistent for quite a few people. There are always risks with long-distance shipping! Also I would wonder if certain more delicate/subtle whites are even more prone to prolonged bottle shock from that type of environment?

Glad all the rats showed up - great reports all!

gooberpeas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gooberpeas

I was the one to first say that I did not enjoy the gazzi wine but as far as the crystals go they were present bit gave me no pause, I have seen them plenty ( in my short 2 years of wine drinking) and I understand that they pose no threat to the wine itself. Maybe my tastes aren't sophisticated enough...maybe my tastes have been too influenced by the sangiovese which is a very flavorrful grape and I've only recently learned to REALLY enjoy that made me feel like the pinot was so lifeless (not to mention either white which I felt like I was choking down) but my tastes are still developing and there may come a day that I really enjoy a wine like the gazzis that I so didn't enjoy this time around. I'm just giving them all an honest try and posting how I feel....I'm currently influenced by some Mondavi sav blanc and some pedroncelli sangiovese (the sangiovese which I felt was a slight bit flat compared to my expectations which were influenced by the Costa del sol sangiovese on which my sangiovese teeth were cut)

FromanNoodles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FromanNoodles

We sell the Cabernet at my work, (an Italian meat market and bakery) and my boss says its the best wine we carry; Out of the other 30 different wines we have.

Ashpoo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Ashpoo

We enjoyed both bottles this evening. Our group consisted of myself and fiance, Luke, and another couple, Jenna and Joe. Jenna and Joe like wine but I think we drink a little bit more than they do. We don't drink whites very often and if we do it's usually pinot grigio. I usually don't care for chardonnay but was excited to rat nonetheless. Luke and I love pinot noir, especially Oregon pinots. I also love zinfandel but that's usually a little too much for Luke.

Chardonnay:

Initially out of the bottle we all detected pear and apple scents on the nose. Joe's first impression was "I smell alcohol". At first taste we thought it was fruitier than most other chards. It was also very crisp. It almost reminded us of a semi-dry riesling. Almost. With fruits (pear, grapes, apricots) Jenna and Joe thought it was harsh. I thought they definitely took the sweet away but was still drinkable. Green olives really brought the fruit flavor out in the wine. I think it was at that point that Luke and I were thinking it was quite riesling-esque. It also went well with brie. The brie was buttery and the wine fruity. Overall Luke and I really liked this wine. I might be in for one because it was unlike most chardonnays we've had.

And the Cabernet:

Out of the bottle we detected deep plum on the nose. Joe again immediately thought, "Holy alcohol!" I thought the first taste was pleasant with mild tannins, Jenna woodsy, Luke and Joe tart cherry. They actually said that before I mentioned that others detected cherry as well. It softened up a bit through the vinturi and the guys thought it was very smooth with smoked gouda. I really liked it with milk chocolate; it seemed to bring out a taste of strawberries in the wine. Dinner consisted of spaghetti, meatballs, and garlic cheese bread. It paired well with the meat and sauce but the guys said they thought it went best with the cheese bread. Overall I thought this was a good cabernet and is good to drink now with potential to be even better in the next couple years.

I'm going to think about getting in on this one overnight. I just bought a bunch recently and can really stand just one more purchase. I kind of want to hold out in hopes of a pinot or zin offering but these were really good wines for the price.

Thanks again woot!

jbfowlertx

quality posts: 11 Private Messages jbfowlertx

I wrote a caustic response to this but have come to my senses and want to delete it. I once was learning about wine and didn't understand that crystals were normal. It's okay to be learning. Just be open to it.

nklb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nklb

This wine is from Paso Robles. I have had nothing but good experiences with wine from this region. That plus the almost universally glowing reviews mean this is a must buy for me!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Now, off to play some slots!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.