martinkey4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages martinkey4

I know we have said it before - but I really think this is one of the last lot18 deals we will see. They have gone through multiple deal sites to attract new customers. They are now working on doodledeals.com which is targeted to new moms. From the main deal page:

"Unless you were raised in Napa, Loire, or some other far away valley, you probably choose wine the same way we do: by the prettiest label. Today’s deal gives you the Grape Escape you’re looking for—$75 to spend on award-winning wines from some of the best vineyards in the world on Lot18.com."

That tells me that this is a stretch, but still an attempt, to get new customers. I don't see where they would go from here. I'm not saying that new moms are a bad source of customers - but you start where you will get the best return and move from there. Since they aren't repeating any deal sites - they are all about spending their money on new exposure.

Wine and wenches empty men's purses
English Proverb
CT

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
wayne82 wrote:java whatever is what it replaced re tard .ed with. I was panic ing thx for answering so fast, lol

Yeah, I am well aware of the filter. Like you, I typed "stooopid" (well, typed the correct way, as you know).

murrayd222

quality posts: 0 Private Messages murrayd222
wayne82 wrote:How is Lot18's shipping anyone know?

They will hold shipping if your immediately respond to your order confirmation email. They also intend to use temperature controlled shipping during the summer.

All foreign wines are shipped via a retailer in NJ (Hops & Barrel or something like that). With them, you can mix and match any four foreign bottles shipped from them in one order to get free shipping as well.

No referral linking please.

trevindalton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trevindalton
martinkey4 wrote:I know we have said it before - but I really think this is one of the last lot18 deals we will see. They have gone through multiple deal sites to attract new customers. They are now working on doodledeals.com which is targeted to new moms. From the main deal page:

"Unless you were raised in Napa, Loire, or some other far away valley, you probably choose wine the same way we do: by the prettiest label. Today’s deal gives you the Grape Escape you’re looking for—$75 to spend on award-winning wines from some of the best vineyards in the world on Lot18.com."

That tells me that this is a stretch, but still an attempt, to get new customers. I don't see where they would go from here. I'm not saying that new moms are a bad source of customers - but you start where you will get the best return and move from there. Since they aren't repeating any deal sites - they are all about spending their money on new exposure.

I will respectfully disagree with you. There is a bounty of group share sites and cities that Lot 18 has not hit. I will say that their frequency may reduce, as we have seen in the past 4-6 weeks, but as they continue to grow and expand their selections (food and wine teaser on their site today), their VC money will continue to be spread across the web.

tourette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tourette

I just purchased and used Shannon's link. Wes's third link box was locked for editing, so I assume somebody else is already about to purchase a third with his link? Didn't want to do a 4th for somebody.

And once again, I'm at the bottom of the list. Living in PST time gets me screwed over every time. Ah well, still a good deal and glad others can benefit!

Jeff

martinkey4

trevindalton wrote:I will respectfully disagree with you. There is a bounty of group share sites and cities that Lot 18 has not hit. I will say that their frequency may reduce, as we have seen in the past 4-6 weeks, but as they continue to grow and expand their selections (food and wine teaser on their site today), their VC money will continue to be spread across the web.

Yeah - I can see that side as well. My feeling is that at some point, their VC's will stop looking for new sign ups and start looking for profit. When the first voucher came out, there was a new one each week. Now, they are a month apart.

However, to your point, with their new offerings coming - I could see them target specific customers outside of the wine area.

In the end, I don't see this lasting much longer. They've had three (IIRC) rounds of funding, each talking about number of new customers. New customers only go so far - they need repeat (non-voucher) business.

English Proverb
CT

froboy419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages froboy419
tourette wrote:I just purchased and used Shannon's link. Wes's third link box was locked for editing, so I assume somebody else is already about to purchase a third with his link? Didn't want to do a 4th for somebody.

Yes, I was editing Wes' third box at the same time! I've completed Wes.

Thanks krugsters for posting the deal, hunterjaydog for posting the spreadsheet and richardhod for cross-posting to "New Deals." I'm on crappy bus wifi and otherwise might not have checked "Vouchers!"

wayne82

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wayne82

All the more reason to get the vouchers now. I have drank the buty, I can vouch for it. Would prob waste my vouchers on it but i splurged for the barbescos cause never had.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
wayne82 wrote:All the more reason to get the vouchers now. I have drank the buty, I can vouch for it. Would prob waste my vouchers on it but i splurged for the barbescos cause never had.

Any thoughts or notes on the Buty?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Those of you who have gotten your 3 already. Has doodledeals notified you in any way that you got your three? Just trying to figure out if there is any way to confirm that you got your three, similar to LS.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
froboy419 wrote:Yes, I was editing Wes' third box at the same time! I've completed Wes.

Thanks krugsters for posting the deal, hunterjaydog for posting the spreadsheet and richardhod for cross-posting to "New Deals." I'm on crappy bus wifi and otherwise might not have checked "Vouchers!"

pur your name in the "I used your link" box FIRST! Then use the link and come back to fill in the rest of yoru details. That stops this problem.

Incidentally:
SFgate on Lot18

twowootthree

quality posts: 16 Private Messages twowootthree
wayne82 wrote:How is Lot18's shipping anyone know?

I received a Lot18 shipment yesterday around 7pm, which meant they were riding in the truck all day in Atlanta, GA. The bottles were hot. I didn't measure it with a thermometer, but I have to guess they were at least 100 degrees.

wayne82

Unfortunately, I had the buty 2005, I have no notes on it as I was in Washington at the time tasting lots of wines and I seem to have misplaced my binder. However, the Champoux vineyard was a better then the phinny.

Both wines had a very strong structure that will age for a long time. The phinny had more meat? and definately much more syrah character then I am into.

For what it is worth

wayne82

twowootthree wrote:I received a Lot18 shipment yesterday around 7pm, which meant they were riding in the truck all day in Atlanta, GA. The bottles were hot. I didn't measure it with a thermometer, but I have to guess they were at least 100 degrees.

So I should wait until fall?

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart
wayne82 wrote:So I should wait until fall?

I hope they'll be around in the fall.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

j0rdantay10r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0rdantay10r
twowootthree wrote:I received a Lot18 shipment yesterday around 7pm, which meant they were riding in the truck all day in Atlanta, GA. The bottles were hot. I didn't measure it with a thermometer, but I have to guess they were at least 100 degrees.

I bought something on Monday and expressed my concern for shipping. Someone from lot18 responded and advised that they could have the winery hold until the fall but suggested to proceed with shipment because it would cross the country in a refrigerated truck. I mentioned that I can't receive wine at work so I always miss the first delivery attempt and usually pick up the UPS InfoNotice and arrange to pick up my package at my local UPS Distribution hub the following day.

This strategy worked fine in the spring but meant that once the refrigerated truck dropped it off in my city, it was going to be exposed to heat every moment outside of the warehouse. I'm not sure how this will work out, but they did arrange to have the package held for local pickup. If this works, that will calm my fears and I'll be glad to continue purchasing throughout the summer. I live in Charlotte, NC so that means the package will be in a refrigerated truck across country and then in a temperature controlled warehouse until I stop by to pick it up...and all of this for free every time I order 4 or more bottles.

j0rdantay10r

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j0rdantay10r
smartheart wrote:I hope they'll be around in the fall.

Wait, you didn't know? This is revolutionary: http://goodgrape.com/index.php/articles/comments/lot_18_and_the_art_of_new_market_models

richardhod

j0rdantay10r wrote:Wait, you didn't know? This is revolutionary: http://goodgrape.com/index.php/articles/comments/lot_18_and_the_art_of_new_market_models

Ha! It's weird, but the claim, that this is for liquidating last year's stock, year on year, is almost certainly from my observation wine.woot's model, and that of a few competitors. So this article is engaging in quite a lot of PR puffery. Yes, they have money, but no they don't have a monopoly on quality-wine relationships and bypassing the three-tier model for boutique wineries.

wayne82

richardhod wrote:Ha! It's weird, but the claim, that this is for liquidating last year's stock, year on year, is almost certainly from my observation wine.woot's model, and that of a few competitors. So this article is engaging in quite a lot of PR puffery. Yes, they have money, but no they don't have a monopoly on quality-wine relationships and bypassing the three-tier model for boutique wineries.

Too me it seems a lot will fizzle out, however a few months is hardly much time at all.

The market for fine wines is changing some with the depression (err summer of recoverery lol) The top top wines are still super duper expensive cause the rich are richer then ever. However a lot of people are looking to keep up or maintain the wine style they had before.

There is no way they can keep throwing money out there like they are though. It seems it is going to end either: going out of business, selling to someone and (them) going out of business(classic build then bust making tons of money for original owner -this is a scam), or getting enough customers to actually make real money

smartheart

is the doodle deal all sold out? won't display for me at the site....children's gym

EDIT: DANG...confirmed....lot18 deal is indeed sold out

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
smartheart wrote:is the doodle deal all sold out? won't display for me at the site....children's gym

EDIT: DANG...confirmed....lot18 deal is indeed sold out

One buy from a freebie too. Tragic!

Edit: Not tragic because I love these deals, but still... curses!

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
random122 wrote:One buy from a freebie too. Tragic!

Edit: Not tragic because I love these deals, but still... curses!

Wow! That was fast! I think we sold them out! Even the LA website sold out. It still had a day to go too.

MichaelWB

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MichaelWB

Free Shipping at Lot18 from 7-9pm EST tonight.

Evidently my $20 credit just expired..so nothing that makes me want to bite.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Good article. Mentions Twisted Oak as well.

http://palatepress.com/2011/04/wine/for-a-limited-time-only-flash-sites/

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Krugsters wrote:Wow! That was fast! I think we sold them out! Even the LA website sold out. It still had a day to go too.

Ah, boo! That means I won't get mine free, after getting two people to buy through my link.

Wow, they only had 404 of them.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MichaelWB wrote:Free Shipping at Lot18 from 7-9pm EST tonight.

So glad I saw this... I'll go see if I can use my voucher + free shipping!

... or not. Nothing I want on there right now.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

smartheart

MichaelWB wrote:Free Shipping at Lot18 from 7-9pm EST tonight.

Which lot18 credits expire? I had the impression that once the vouchers were redeemed for credit they didn't expire.

--D. Parker

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
richardhod wrote:yes indeed thank you.

Spreadsheet Link for doodledeals lot18 $30 for $75 vouchers reposted.

Thanks, I just finished off random122's referral!

wayne82

bsevern wrote:Thanks, I just finished off random122's referral!

Man it said they were running it for a day. And I had 2 people lined up to buy for me this evening

When does their +25 dollar tick in, after the product gets to the purchasers? Anyone else have any experience with reffering someone to buy

richardhod

smartheart wrote:Which lot18 credits expire? I had the impression that once the vouchers were redeemed for credit they didn't expire.

Hi.. your "signup" credits expire pretty quickly, but the vouchers are generally good for a year, as are referral credits.

Incidentally, from one of these stories about these sites I saw a link to this http://www.vinecrowd.com/, probably one of the saddest and most ill-thought-out sites I've yet seen!

richardhod

wayne82 wrote:Man it said they were running it for a day. And I had 2 people lined up to buy for me this evening

When does their +25 dollar tick in, after the product gets to the purchasers? Anyone else have any experience with reffering someone to buy

Always buy early. Like great woot deals.. they'll sell out. I think once your friends make their first purchase, they give you your credit! It really does help with the credit.. I have quite a lot of credit stored up now.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
bsevern wrote:Thanks, I just finished off random122's referral!

Oh! I thought the deal ended awhile earlier.

Thanks!!

twowootthree

quality posts: 16 Private Messages twowootthree
wayne82 wrote:So I should wait until fall?

I'm definitely waiting for the fall for anything that needs to be cellared. I bought the two bottles, because I plan to consume in the next month or so. It sounds like Lot18 is a good company and will fix older problems, but it's something that is too uncomfortable to me. In all likelihood, my $400 in credits will sit in my account until cooler weather.

trevindalton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trevindalton

FYI...concerning the lot 18 doodle deals yesterday, I have already received an email "your deal is free message". Check your inboxes!

martinkey4

I've gotten my "free" notice as well from doodledeals.

As far as lot18 shipping. I've had good luck ordering and immediately responding to the order email (and copying service@lot18.com) to hold my shipment until the fall. They usually respond within a day that they are holding until October - but if I want it sooner, I can email them again.

English Proverb
CT

MichaelWB

smartheart wrote:Which lot18 credits expire? I had the impression that once the vouchers were redeemed for credit they didn't expire.

They gave me some promo credit or something..think it only lasted a week. Think the email said it was because I put something in my basket but didnt finish the transaction. Oh well.

tourette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tourette
MichaelWB wrote:They gave me some promo credit or something..think it only lasted a week. Think the email said it was because I put something in my basket but didnt finish the transaction. Oh well.

Off to put something in my basket without completing the transaction... Wish my luck!

MichaelWB

tourette wrote:Off to put something in my basket without completing the transaction... Wish my luck!

Good luck...but i dont think it works anymore. I dont know if its new but they now have a 10 minute clock till your basket expires.

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

Used to be 10 min tick tock for 1st timers.

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99
tourette wrote:Off to put something in my basket without completing the transaction... Wish my luck!

I'd heard this only worked if it was your first purchase. If you've already bought from them, you're probably out of luck.