Leahbh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Leahbh

I originally didn't want to read these books, but since the first one was only $5 for kindle I decided to try it out. Also, it has 4.5 stars with over 2,000 reviews on amazon and over 10,000 reviews on barnes and noble, surely all those people couldn't be crazy. So, I read the first book and immediately bought the 2nd and 3rd books in the series. It was awesome. I just finished a few weeks ago and I think I'm going to have to read it again pretty soon. I'll definitely have to re-read the entire series before the first movie comes out in march 2012.

Anyone else read the books? Looking forward to the movie(s)?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

ADDING THIS FOR THOSE NEW TO THE THREAD: THERE ARE SPOILER ALERTS IN LATER PAGES!!! You have been warned.

Leahbh wrote:I originally didn't want to read these books, but since the first one was only $5 for kindle I decided to try it out. Also, it has 4.5 stars with over 2,000 reviews on amazon and over 10,000 reviews on barnes and noble, surely all those people couldn't be crazy. So, I read the first book and immediately bought the 2nd and 3rd books in the series. It was awesome. I just finished a few weeks ago and I think I'm going to have to read it again pretty soon. I'll definitely have to re-read the entire series before the first movie comes out in march 2012.

Anyone else read the books? Looking forward to the movie(s)?

Haven't, but just added it to thrace. Sounds interesting. I think I've either read a preview, or a review, or something...it feels familiar.

And I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who picks up kindle books thinking 'eh, for $X, I can try it'. :D

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Leahbh

Mavyn wrote:Haven't, but just added it to thrace. Sounds interesting. I think I've either read a preview, or a review, or something...it feels familiar.

And I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who picks up kindle books thinking 'eh, for $X, I can try it'. :D

I have SO many kindle books!! I think, oh only 99 cents or only 2.99, but it adds up fast! I'm making myself not buy any books for at least an entire month. I'm only downloading free books now. I've have so many to read anyway, I don't need to keep downloading more.

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the hunger games.

what is thrace?

Mavyn

Leahbh wrote:I have SO many kindle books!! I think, oh only 99 cents or only 2.99, but it adds up fast! I'm making myself not buy and books for at least an entire month. I'm only downloading free books now. I've have so many to read anyway, I don't need to keep downloading more.

Let me know how that works out for you. :D

My sister and I share books, and we both buy lots...with physical books you can see how many are stacked up to read, but with the kindle...ah, well. The list grows!

kenney9226

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kenney9226

All the astute readers of Harry Potter realize that the books are really all about Neville Longbottom, all Star Wars fans know the movies are all about Annakin Skywalker, and true fans of the Hunger Games books know the books are really all about Haymich Abernathy.

Mavyn

Leahbh wrote:

what is thrace?

Sorry, didn't see this question yesterday.

Umm...Thrace is the kindle. Yes, I name my kindles.

Thrace (DX), Thatch(gen 3), and Kicker(gen 1).

Leahbh

Mavyn wrote:Sorry, didn't see this question yesterday.

Umm...Thrace is the kindle. Yes, I name my kindles.

Thrace (DX), Thatch(gen 3), and Kicker(gen 1).

hahaha. hilarious.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Read the books, loved 'em, can't wait for the movie, got my mom to read the books, and now my sister has them.
It's a good series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby

I have the first one. Started it but wasn't in the mood for that style. Haven't picked it back up but plan too. coworker loved them

Leahbh

kdccrosby wrote:I have the first one. Started it but wasn't in the mood for that style. Haven't picked it back up but plan too. coworker loved them

you definitely should. i thought the beginning was a little slow, but i kept with it and it gets SO much better. I'm going to read all 3 again.

Mavyn

Finished all three a few weeks ago. Very good, enjoyed them. Will be interesting to see who gets picked as a director.

Leahbh

Mavyn wrote:Finished all three a few weeks ago. Very good, enjoyed them. Will be interesting to see who gets picked as a director.

I'm really disappointed in some of the casting, especially cinna and haymitch.

Mavyn

Leahbh wrote:I'm really disappointed in some of the casting, especially cinna and haymitch.

I hadn't looked...bahahaha!

Will be interesting to see. I hope for the best, and never expect the book to be much like the movie...

cbartho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbartho

reviving dead thread:

Co-worker is reading this series and can't put it down! I will power through first book of Game of Thrones and then start on this.

As for casting in the movie: Jennifer Lawrence is amazing. Watch Winters Bone. 13 wins for best actress, and about two dozen nominations for best actress including Oscar and GG for that movie. Amazing performance.

I'll be watching for one reason only though: Lenny Kravitz, YUM!

Leahbh

cbartho wrote:reviving dead thread:

Co-worker is reading this series and can't put it down! I will power through first book of Game of Thrones and then start on this.

As for casting in the movie: Jennifer Lawrence is amazing. Watch Winters Bone. 13 wins for best actress, and about two dozen nominations for best actress including Oscar and GG for that movie. Amazing performance.

I'll be watching for one reason only though: Lenny Kravitz, YUM!

I've seen winter's bone, and jennifer lawrence is awesome. I think kravitz is WAY too old to be playing cinna. I just can't see it. Since most of the tributes are unknown kids, can't complain there.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I just finished reading the first book. I find the premise very disturbing, and had a difficult time reading it. I'll finish it, just because.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
kenney9226 wrote: Annakin Skywalker

is a whiny little coward-Katie Kaboom.

Still single, can't imagine why.

Leahbh

I bought my tickets for IMAX today! so excited!

tinsoldiergt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tinsoldiergt

Just read the books, loved them!!! A little worried about the movie though, the trailer seemed a bit lackluster and the casting didn't really get me too excited. But... I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt and going to go, regardless. Just hope it's not another Eragon.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
tinsoldiergt wrote:A little worried about the movie though, the trailer seemed a bit lackluster...

Completely agree.

KtCallista

quality posts: 33 Private Messages KtCallista

I now have copies of the books for my Kindle. They are the next in my queue after I finish Archaea

You can call me Goddess, that's fine.

Turken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Turken

Intrigued by the movie trailers, wife bought the books a couple weeks ago. I ended up reading them right behind her. Quite addictive and enjoyable, even if there were some unresolved questions and plot holes. Been too long since I've read some fiction just for fun.

Now, the question is what to read next. KtC's link there looks interesting...

Mavyn

Any help on the age group these are for? 9 yo says a friend has read them, and wants to see the movie...I am hesitant, seems a little brutal.

ignorant

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ignorant
Mavyn wrote:Any help on the age group these are for? 9 yo says a friend has read them, and wants to see the movie...I am hesitant, seems a little brutal.

I'd say it's more for Jr High and above.
I believe the movie is getting a PG-13 rating and that's because they don't show some of the more graphic violence on screen.

Leahbh

ignorant wrote:I'd say it's more for Jr High and above.
I believe the movie is getting a PG-13 rating and that's because they don't show some of the more graphic violence on screen.

I agree, I'd say 9 is too young. I have a friend who's a substitute teacher and she's had middle school kids in her classes who have read them.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

otolith wrote:I just finished reading the first book. I find the premise very disturbing, and had a difficult time reading it. I'll finish it, just because.

My son dropped it in my lap and said "read it".

I started it last night and had bad dreams!
I guess I'll have to finish it. If for no other reason, just so he gives me back all my books and CD's that he took off to grad school.

If he is reading my stuff, I guess I have to read his.

It is odd, there were no kids series that adults read when I was a kid.
Now there is this, and Potter. It seems all readers have read them.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

Leahbh

dontwantaname wrote:
It is odd, there were no kids series that adults read when I was a kid.
Now there is this, and Potter. It seems all readers have read them.

I also really loved the percy jackson books. those are geared younger than the hunger games. I'm finding a lot more YA fiction that I like better than adult books. I'm not sure why though. I'm 29, btw.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Leahbh wrote:I bought my tickets for IMAX today! so excited!

I'm getting a group of friends together and we're seeing it opening weekend! That way if it isn't as awesome as we think we'll at least be able to laugh/roll our eyes together, and if it is - instant discussion group!

Of course I already have my outfit picked out.

I liked book 1, found a lot of book 2 to be meh/redundant, and mostly enjoyed book 3. I imagine that puts me squarely in the fan category.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Mavyn

Oh, the irony... Hunger Games merchandise

inkycatz

Mavyn wrote:Oh, the irony... Hunger Games merchandise

I think your link is busted!

Mavyn

Bugger. I was afraid of that, stupid flash.

http://www.hottopic.com and then go to Pop Culture and The Hunger Games. Or, there's a big flashy banner on the main page.

inkycatz

Mavyn wrote:Bugger. I was afraid of that, stupid flash.

http://www.hottopic.com and then go to Pop Culture and The Hunger Games. Or, there's a big flashy banner on the main page.

Boy, that stuff is pretty ugly.

Ha! They've even got the China Glaze nail polish.

Ah, guess that makes it all in the spirit of the Capitol at least.

Leahbh

Mavyn wrote:Bugger. I was afraid of that, stupid flash.

I saw some of that at the mall last weekend. Didn't see anything worth buying. I DID get my ID card though ;) https://www.facebook.com/cafepress?sk=app_348211151865582

inkycatz

Leahbh wrote:I saw some of that at the mall last weekend. Didn't see anything worth buying. I DID get my ID card though ;) https://www.facebook.com/cafepress?sk=app_348211151865582

Shiny!

I always find etsy to be better suited to my fangirl needs.

Mavyn

The nail polish was the kicker for me.

And yes, that site has "interesting" clothing.

Leahbh

inkycatz wrote:Shiny!

I always find etsy to be better suited to my fangirl needs.

I LOVE etsy! The only thing I bought from cafe press was the ID card, since it was official, not user/fan created.

KtCallista

ignorant wrote:I'd say it's more for Jr High and above.

At the elementary school where I work:

Most of the 5th & 6th grade read it. Some of the 4th graders have read it. It's next in my reading que, didn't get much reading done over the weekend.

If you want a fun YA that is Harry Potter-like, you want Percy Jackson.

Turken - I'm still only halfway through Archaea (I reviewed it on Good Reads). My husband finished it. He is putting up his own review. In full confession I do casually know the author - his daughter was on our t-ball team last summer and now goes to the charter school and is in dance with Ver1. His wife is the secretary at the school and his Mother-in-law goes to my church. Unfortunately, Orc ruined a bit of the ending in that this is a happy story and nothing too terrible happens, maybe in the sequel....

Mavyn

Thanks, KT, that makes me feel much better. I'm not good at determining 'age appropriate' and his dad hasn't read the books.

KtCallista

Mavyn wrote:Thanks, KT, that makes me feel much better. I'm not good at determining 'age appropriate' and his dad hasn't read the books.

Not having read the books, I'm not sure if that's an appropriate range, but that's who I've seen reading it, or have said I should read it. I'm snoopy when it comes to the what kids are reading and they all know I want to see what it is. I know one of the Mom's was really upset all the kids were reading it because she felt it was really inappropriate for their age group. (They did not read it as an assignment, it was their choice of books.)

tinsoldiergt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tinsoldiergt
KtCallista wrote:Not having read the books, I'm not sure if that's an appropriate range, but that's who I've seen reading it, or have said I should read it. I'm snoopy when it comes to the what kids are reading and they all know I want to see what it is. I know one of the Mom's was really upset all the kids were reading it because she felt it was really inappropriate for their age group. (They did not read it as an assignment, it was their choice of books.)

Some of the death scenes in the books did seem to go into a bit of unnecessary detail if the target audience is indeed preteens, although with the main point of the book being 'death games' they should be expected I guess.