aces219

quality posts: 6 Private Messages aces219

As for $ amount, let's call it $180/bottle for everyone except oto. That's $5/bottle for shipping which is maybe a little high but probably not tremendously so (no woot shipping prices here!). Oto, I will let you know $ amount once I have actually shipped your bottles.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
edlada wrote:A very good Sauternes that is considered to be right behind d'Yquem is Chateau Rieussec. It is priced a bit lower and is mighty fine. The vineyard is owned by the Rothschild family and they take good care of it. I had a '95 a while back that was absolutely fantastic, good acid to balance the sugar, a lot of apricot, peach and floral notes and a finish that went on into the next week! Well worth checking it out if you don't have the money for d'Yquem.

Nice tip. Can get that locally. Not the '95, though.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

aces219

Your perfume will be sent out later this week. Just need addresses.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

for those curious, it appears you can get a 750 for $360 here

edlada

quality posts: 6 Private Messages edlada
ddeuddeg wrote:Nice tip. Can get that locally. Not the '95, though.

Greetings to you and the lovely bawhm from Basia and I.

I talked about the '95 Chateau Rieussec because that is the only one I have drank however everything I have read on the internet suggests just about any year the wine is very good and in some years fantastic. I looked around and find it scores in the low to mid 90s (and even high 90s FWIW) almost everywhere, so go to your local wine shop and get a bottle! ;)

My dogs like me, that is important.

dsapp

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dsapp

The check is in the mail for one bottle. I suppose I will get it someday from Krugsters or Polar Bear or HAK or someone else in "Woot-land." Thanks again to everyone who will be passing the bottle from person to person to person across the country. How fun!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
dsapp wrote:The check is in the mail for one bottle. I suppose I will get it someday from Krugsters or Polar Bear or HAK or someone else in "Woot-land." Thanks again to everyone who will be passing the bottle from person to person to person across the country. How fun!

Yeah, with them being shipped to K, I'm assuming I'll pick up your bottle and PB's two bottles when I get my bottle at some point before the end of May and then I'll bring them up to PB along with all the other wine I'm holding for him & mother & darlene.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

OK, let me know.
Thanks!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla

You piqued my curiosity to see what I could find here in L.A. WITHOUT going to Costco. The best deal for a half bottle of d'Yquem was at Woodland Hills Wine Company. A 1997 375 ml sells for $124.99...so I bought a bottle. Not sure whether to thank you or curse you...

http://www.whwc.com/p/306889

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

HitAnyKey42

luckyinla wrote:You piqued my curiosity to see what I could find here in L.A. WITHOUT going to Costco. The best deal for a half bottle of d'Yquem was at Woodland Hills Wine Company. A 1997 375 ml sells for $124.99...so I bought a bottle. Not sure whether to thank you or curse you...

Looks like that store near you is also the cheapest pretty much anywhere. A quick wine-searcher search shows everywhere else being more expensive than that. So you at least got the best deal available for that vintage.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
luckyinla wrote:You piqued my curiosity to see what I could find here in L.A. WITHOUT going to Costco. The best deal for a half bottle of d'Yquem was at Woodland Hills Wine Company. A 1997 375 ml sells for $124.99...so I bought a bottle. Not sure whether to thank you or curse you...

Nice catch!

So, folks, what's so good about this that it's $250 for 750ml at its best ever deal? this is more than vintage port!

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
richardhod wrote:Nice catch!

So, folks, what's so good about this that it's $250 for 750ml at its best ever deal? this is more than vintage port!

You've never had a Sauternes?

Oh, my friend, you're in for a treat. Next time you're in town, we'll crack my '03 Lafaurie-Peyraguey. ("Infanticide!" they'll cry.) And from what I understand, d'Yquem is in a whole different universe from the rest of the pack.

Of note, you can always get decent deals on various rare or hard-to-find vintages of d'Yquem and other such delicacies at WineBid as well. Sadly, my birth year was a terrific vintage in Sauternes, so I have as yet been unable to afford a birthday bottle. Luckily, though, that means I'll have many, many more years of exquisite birthday Sauternes to look forward to. (Edit: actually, looking at WineBid, some of the lesser chateaus' '88s aren't outrageously priced at all. Hmm...)

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

richardhod

k1avg wrote:You've never had a Sauternes?

Oh, my friend, you're in for a treat. Next time you're in town, we'll crack my '03 Lafaurie-Peyraguey. ("Infanticide!" they'll cry.) And from what I understand, d'Yquem is in a whole different universe from the rest of the pack.

Of note, you can always get decent deals on various rare or hard-to-find vintages of d'Yquem and other such delicacies at WineBid as well. Sadly, my birth year was a terrific vintage in Sauternes, so I have as yet been unable to afford a birthday bottle. Luckily, though, that means I'll have many, many more years of exquisite birthday Sauternes to look forward to. (Edit: actually, looking at WineBid, some of the lesser chateaus' '88s aren't outrageously priced at all. Hmm...)

Well I've had mediocre sauternes and hmmm, meh. My current standard of exquisite in sweeter end is outstanding late harvest riesling. However, I am willing to be surprised!

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
k1avg wrote:You've never had a Sauternes?

Born in '88? I got underwear older than that.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

joshsting

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joshsting

What Costco in the Seattle area had this deal? Is there any left? I'm kicking myself for not reading this thread earlier and getting in on a local deal since I live in the Seattle area!!!

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
gregorylane wrote:Born in '88? I got underwear older than that.

I graduated high school in '88.

richardhod

joshsting wrote:What Costco in the Seattle area had this deal? Is there any left? I'm kicking myself for not reading this thread earlier and getting in on a local deal since I live in the Seattle area!!!

Anyone in CA can get the 96 Yquem for $129 +tax from K&L wines. From what I can tell it's the least amazing of the recent vintages, but as Yquem still amazing.

k1avg

richardhod wrote:Well I've had mediocre sauternes and hmmm, meh. My current standard of exquisite in sweeter end is outstanding late harvest riesling. However, I am willing to be surprised!

Yeah, I had some young, lower-end Sauternes not too long ago as well and it was highly unimpressive. You really have to go to the established chateaux (not physically, of course) to really get a taste for the stuff. Again, I've never had d'Yquem specifically, so it's possible it's just really expensive pancake syrup, but given the reputation, I doubt it.

gregorylane wrote:Born in '88? I got underwear older than that.

Well, okay. As long as you don't feel the need to tell me that whenever you're wearing it.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
k1avg wrote:Well, okay. As long as you don't feel the need to tell me that whenever you're wearing it.

Deal!

But, don't call me an old fart.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
k1avg wrote:Of note, you can always get decent deals on various rare or hard-to-find vintages of d'Yquem and other such delicacies at WineBid as well. Sadly, my birth year was a terrific vintage in Sauternes, so I have as yet been unable to afford a birthday bottle. Luckily, though, that means I'll have many, many more years of exquisite birthday Sauternes to look forward to. (Edit: actually, looking at WineBid, some of the lesser chateaus' '88s aren't outrageously priced at all. Hmm...)

My daughter was born in 88 as well. Tried to find a good birth year bottle for her 21st. I was looking at red wines.

Any suggestions?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:My daughter was born in 88 as well. Tried to find a good birth year bottle for her 21st. I was looking at red wines.

Any suggestions?

Veuve Cliquot holds up well, and has the added feature of being festive, although not red.
Opus One has the color you're looking for, but they tend to be uneven in quality, and I don't know anything about the '88 vintage.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

k1avg

polarbear22 wrote:My daughter was born in 88 as well. Tried to find a good birth year bottle for her 21st. I was looking at red wines.

Any suggestions?

It was also a decent vintage in Bordeaux, so many of the better houses' offerings have held up pretty well. I had a bottle of Chateau Talbot (a fourth-growth, I think) last year for my birthday that was a little over the hill but still very drinkable and impressive, with tons of interesting secondary characteristics. I imagine there are some '88 Barolos that are still holding up pretty well too. It wasn't a great year in Burgundy and most Port houses didn't declare the vintage, so other than that, you're probably left with dessert wines and sparklies, as ddeuddeg suggested.

It wasn't much of a vintage in California (according to the charts anyway; you'd have to ask RPM for the real story), but I actually have a bottle of '88 Mondavi Reserve Cab I've been holding for this year. I suspect it will be significantly past its prime, but recent CT notes are somewhat edifying that there's at least something to be salvaged there. I probably won't look towards California for good '88s much longer though.

--
The current holdings.

polarbear22

k1avg wrote:It was also a decent vintage in Bordeaux, so many of the better houses' offerings have held up pretty well. I had a bottle of Chateau Talbot (a fourth-growth, I think) last year for my birthday that was a little over the hill but still very drinkable and impressive, with tons of interesting secondary characteristics. I imagine there are some '88 Barolos that are still holding up pretty well too. It wasn't a great year in Burgundy and most Port houses didn't declare the vintage, so other than that, you're probably left with dessert wines and sparklies, as ddeuddeg suggested.

Thanks to you and ddeuddeg. I have to start with when would we open it, to make sure what I get will last.

For my 50th, I had a 1959 Ch. Brainaire-Ducru. It was very interesting. I think it had held on, but it did fade quickly after opening. Fun experience.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

k1avg wrote:It wasn't much of a vintage in California (according to the charts anyway; you'd have to ask RPM for the real story), but I actually have a bottle of '88 Mondavi Reserve Cab I've been holding for this year. I suspect it will be significantly past its prime, but recent CT notes are somewhat edifying that there's at least something to be salvaged there. I probably won't look towards California for good '88s much longer though.

Depending on it's provinence, that '88 might be pretty good for you. As you'll see in this post from our NYC Mondavi Tasting back in 2009, it was one of the favorites.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

k1avg

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Depending on it's provinence, that '88 might be pretty good for you. As you'll see in this post from our NYC Mondavi Tasting back in 2009, it was one of the favorites.

Yep, that's the one! Hopefully it's as good as the one you guys tried, although at that age two years can make a big difference. I'll let you know in a couple months.

--
The current holdings.

aces219

joshsting wrote:What Costco in the Seattle area had this deal? Is there any left? I'm kicking myself for not reading this thread earlier and getting in on a local deal since I live in the Seattle area!!!

Issaquah. You could call and ask...

aces219

Bottles shipped today. Will arrive in MN Thurs and NY Fri. Ups ground. Will send tracking numbers.

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON
aces219 wrote:Somehow, my Costco had this on closeout for $160. I bought 1 bottle. Should I go back and buy more tomorrow? The bottle is in pristine condition and Costco seems to take care with their storage.

I hope this works out for all of you. My experience with Costco Chateau d'Yquem was...not positive.

It was thin and almost tasteless. It certainly was not what I had been lead to expect.

And I paid a lot for it. Major disappointment all around for everybody.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

polarbear22

aces219 wrote:Bottles shipped today. Will arrive in MN Thurs and NY Fri. Ups ground. Will send tracking numbers.

Thanks much. I hope my check beats the wine to NY.

And more, I hope that Joatmon's experience is an abberation.

My Cellar

k1avg

JOATMON wrote:I hope this works out for all of you. My experience with Costco Chateau d'Yquem was...not positive.

It was thin and almost tasteless. It certainly was not what I had been lead to expect.

And I paid a lot for it. Major disappointment all around for everybody.

Do you suspect foul play or just a bad bottle?

--
The current holdings.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

The bottles have arrived! I have the babies resting in perfect storage conditions until they are collected.
I have no idea whose bottles these are. :p

I will pass off 4 bottles to HAK where I am sure they will make their way to their rightful lucky owners.

Thanks aces!

PS- the bottles look perfect. I compared it to the 2005 I already own and it is the same color, same ullage, same everything.

ddeuddeg

Krugsters wrote:The bottles have arrived! I have the babies resting in perfect storage conditions until they are collected.
I have no idea whose bottles these are. :p

I will pass off 4 bottles to HAK where I am sure they will make their way to their rightful lucky owners.

Thanks aces!

PS- the bottles look perfect. I compared it to the 2005 I already own and it is the same color, same ullage, same everything.

One is mine. I'm sure you'll take good care of them.

dsapp

ddeuddeg wrote:One is mine. I'm sure you'll take good care of them.

One is mine, too. Thanks!

polarbear22

dsapp wrote:One is mine, too. Thanks!

And I should be the third with HAK the fourth.

dsapp - should I have HAK deliver yours to me with the others he is bringing around Memorial Day?

My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:And I should be the third with HAK the fourth.

dsapp - should I have HAK deliver yours to me with the others he is bringing around Memorial Day?

On that subject, I don't mind waiting until the Clambake to get mine, so whatever way works best to accomplish that objective.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:On that subject, I don't mind waiting until the Clambake to get mine, so whatever way works best to accomplish that objective.

Defintely room in the cellar. So HAK, let me know.

My Cellar

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Bottles have arrived safely.

Thanks!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

dsapp

polarbear22 wrote:dsapp - should I have HAK deliver yours to me with the others he is bringing around Memorial Day?

On second thought,

Krugsters: do you mind just holding my one bottle at your place? Next time I am in your part of the city (in a few weeks, I imagine), maybe my wife or I could send you a message and ask you to leave my bottle one day with your doorman. Would that be okay? If it's too much trouble, we can go the HAK to PB route.

aces219

And I have received pmt from everyone. Checks to be deposited when 19 gets around to it (he scans them in).

dsapp