jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey
froboy419 wrote:Ditto, I was packing and moving over the holiday weekend and Tuesday, hardly checked e-mail, much less wine sites. Missed the vouchers and the Joly from Lot18. grrrr...

You can still get Lot18 vouchers - check out http://deals.dailycandy.com/deal/1555/lot18-50-percent-off. If you "gift" the vouchers, you can get as many as you want. No referrals on these.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

Cesare

quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare

Amazon pumps 175 million dollars into LivingSocial

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

alexa84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84

wine.com 10% off 6 bottles or more with code THANKYOU through 6/3

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

Cesare

quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare
Cesare wrote:Amazon pumps 175 million dollars into LivingSocial

Let's hope for some more lot18 vouchers!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
Cesare wrote:Let's hope for some more lot18 vouchers!

Hmmmm.... with Amazon owning Woot and pumping money into LivingSocial, I'm actually hoping we see some Wine.Woot vouchers!

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

joshsting

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joshsting
richardhod wrote:WAIT!!!! do a google and read up... it's really one for layign down. Get another Savennieres first, and open it for your 30th anniversary...

With all these vouchers floating around I went in for 3 and will be laying them down for a number of years before opening them. I've never had a white capable of aging so I'm looking forward to it!

joshsting

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joshsting
jhkey wrote:You can still get Lot18 vouchers - check out http://deals.dailycandy.com/deal/1555/lot18-50-percent-off. If you "gift" the vouchers, you can get as many as you want. No referrals on these.

Sold out!!! Glad I went in for 12...

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
joshsting wrote:Sold out!!! Glad I went in for 12...

Let's try to keep talk of the deals on the other thread! I've responded on the other thread.

In the meanwhile, back to actual deals on wines:
So, Anyone have any opinions on Keenan Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon? It's up there for a mere $230 for 3 bottles.

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122
richardhod wrote:Let's try to keep talk of the deals on the other thread! I've responded on the other thread.

In the meanwhile, back to actual deals on wines:
So, Anyone have any opinions on Keenan Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon? It's up there for a mere $230 for 3 bottles.

I'm on the fence about that one as well. It looks good... but that's basically all of my credits. I was hoping to save some for when the spirits hit next month, but... that's four weeks away.

richardhod

random122 wrote:I'm on the fence about that one as well. It looks good... but that's basically all of my credits. I was hoping to save some for when the spirits hit next month, but... that's four weeks away.

I'd keep your powder dry. You can get the non-reserve Keenan for $30ish at K&L wines, or another local wine shop I'm sure. For an unknown-to-me-wine, it's just toooo much.

richardhod

redwinefan wrote:I agree with you. Wine.com usually has wines I can't get elsewhere at relatively decent prices, but not great prices. They often have deals on shipping or 10% off coupons, so I think those WineSpectator guys are being a little ridiculous.

The other great thing about Wine.com is you can schedule your deliveries for specific days months in advance which is great for people who live in hot states like me.

I picked up a deal on their steward shipping late last year which gave me unlimited free ground shipping for something like $20 for the whole year.

Also, if you picked up the LivingSocial deal, I think the Duckhorn trio looks like a nice buy for $99

Thought this was worth a cross-post here from the metadeals thread. Wine.com has its uses
Anyone have views on Duckhorn?

LSlipetz

quality posts: 10 Private Messages LSlipetz

I just pulled the trigger on 2 sets of the Super Tuscan set over on Lot18. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Since it was 4 bottles the shipping was free and it came to just about 80 dollars shipped for the 4 bottles. With the vouchers it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. CT entries seemed good. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts around here.

hunterjaydog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunterjaydog
LSlipetz wrote:I just pulled the trigger on 2 sets of the Super Tuscan set over on Lot18. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Since it was 4 bottles the shipping was free and it came to just about 80 dollars shipped for the 4 bottles. With the vouchers it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. CT entries seemed good. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts around here.

Not that my opinion counts for much, but I was tempted to pull the trigger on those this morning. Seems like a good wine at a fair (voucher) price so you probably did well. Only reason I didn't is because my cellar is full and I'm going to hold off for either a must buy, Volta (if it comes back) or the hard stuff in July.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
hunterjaydog wrote:Not that my opinion counts for much, but I was tempted to pull the trigger on those this morning. Seems like a good wine at a fair (voucher) price so you probably did well. Only reason I didn't is because my cellar is full and I'm going to hold off for either a must buy, Volta (if it comes back) or the hard stuff in July.

I have to agree with SLipetz. Good reviews + Good price + Credits = $10/bottle (Whattadeal!)

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

Some pretty good deals floating around out there right now - I just put in orders at several different sites.

The Lamuri Nero d'Avola at Last Bottle and Chemin des Olivettes at WiredForWine both look like terrific QPR plays if you're a fan of the Old World.

WineShopper also has a number of interesting specimens up, and I went in for a mixed half-case there - primarily to get a bottle of the Spring Valley Uriah, which, while pricey, is purportedly really good. I once got a bottle of it in a CellarThief Magic Pack, but never got a chance to drink it, losing it in a tragic accident, and have been dying to try it ever since.

Worth a look for those of you who just saved a bunch of cash on the Truchard case, or saved more by missing it as it sold out before most West Coasters were out of bed.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
k1avg wrote:Some pretty good deals floating around out there right now - I just put in orders at several different sites.

The Lamuri Nero d'Avola at Last Bottle and Chemin des Olivettes at WiredForWine both look like terrific QPR plays if you're a fan of the Old World.

WineShopper also has a number of interesting specimens up, and I went in for a mixed half-case there - primarily to get a bottle of the Spring Valley Uriah, which, while pricey, is purportedly really good. I once got a bottle of it in a CellarThief Magic Pack, but never got a chance to drink it, losing it in a tragic accident, and have been dying to try it ever since.

Worth a look for those of you who just saved a bunch of cash on the Truchard case, or saved more by missing it as it sold out before most West Coasters were out of bed.

I popped a 08 Lamuri Nero D'avola tonight and it's pretty damn good juice for 14 bucks. I will buy some of the 05's.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

k1avg

tytiger58 wrote:I popped a 08 Lamuri Nero D'avola tonight and it's pretty damn good juice for 14 bucks. I will buy some of the 05's.

Good to know. Everything that's come up on Last Bottle so far has been pretty solid juice (I've seen a couple I've tried before), but this is the first offer that's really appealed to me, QPR-wise.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
richardhod wrote:Thought this was worth a cross-post here from the metadeals thread. Wine.com has its uses
Anyone have views on Duckhorn?

I had also gotten the LS deal and by signing up for the Wine.com newsletter I'll get that 1 cent shipping on my first order placed by July 1st. So I'll definitely order something.
I'll most likely go for something that's normally an expensive bottle I wouldn't normally buy which will age for a long time. Basically with all the stuff I have, I need to not buy anything that won't last a minimum of 5-10 years or more.
So any suggestions of a good bottle for a good price on there, let me know. Basically looking for something right around that $80 mark so I use up the voucher and then can pretty much not bother even looking at that website anymore.

EDIT: One I just clicked on and am looking at is:
Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino 2004 as I do like a good Brunello and this'll age awhile still.
or Marques de Murrieta Dalmau Tinto Reserva 2004 for another of my fav varietals, plus great savings...according to them.
(leaning towards the second one currently)
EDIT2: and of course another wine just crossed my radar (Vinedos de Paganos El Puntido 2005 which is half the price of the others (I can get two), has better ratings, and is from a vineyard planted in my birth year. LOL (and I just love how the reviewers have such differing opinions on aging sometimes...WS says drink now through 2015....WA says drink 2016-2030 )

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

richardhod

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I had also gotten the LS deal and by signing up for the Wine.com newsletter I'll get that 1 cent shipping on my first order placed by July 1st. So I'll definitely order something.
I'll most likely go for something that's normally an expensive bottle I wouldn't normally buy which will age for a long time. Basically with all the stuff I have, I need to not buy anything that won't last a minimum of 5-10 years or more.
So any suggestions of a good bottle for a good price on there, let me know. Basically looking for something right around that $80 mark so I use up the voucher and then can pretty much not bother even looking at that website anymore.

EDIT: One I just clicked on and am looking at is:
Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino 2004 as I do like a good Brunello and this'll age awhile still.
or Marques de Murrieta Dalmau Tinto Reserva 2004 for another of my fav varietals, plus great savings...according to them.
(leaning towards the second one currently)
EDIT2: and of course another wine just crossed my radar (Vinedos de Paganos El Puntido 2005 which is half the price of the others (I can get two), has better ratings, and is from a vineyard planted in my birth year. LOL (and I just love how the reviewers have such differing opinions on aging sometimes...WS says drink now through 2015....WA says drink 2016-2030 )

Yes, good idea indeed! I did the same on Invino today with Jadot Crand Gru 06. Price isn't more than $10 better than street, but with $20 credit I can't get a goo quality smooth approachable Grand cru for $40. Cellaring for 5 years or more.

EDIT:
Drouhin's Cote de Beaune Villages looks as if it's good, and great value at $15. Most places it's something around $20, but I did find it at $11
here though they have no vouchers and postage may cost more.

comments?

chukon99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chukon99

Anyone have thoughts on the Cigluiti pair that's up on lot18?

http://www.lot18.com/product/428/2007-cigliuti-barbaresco-duo

LSlipetz

chukon99 wrote:Anyone have thoughts on the Cigluiti pair that's up on lot18?

http://www.lot18.com/product/428/2007-cigliuti-barbaresco-duo

I was look at these earlier, but the lack of info on CT has me a bit turned off.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
LSlipetz wrote:I was look at these earlier, but the lack of info on CT has me a bit turned off.

If you look at CT for reviews on previous vintages, you'll see some very good ratings. Ergo, it seems like this vitner has a good track record on the barbarescos. However, you will also notice that these need cellaring for a few more years, so patience will be required.

LSlipetz

jmdavidson wrote:If you look at CT for reviews on previous vintages, you'll see some very good ratings. Ergo, it seems like this vitner has a good track record on the barbarescos. However, you will also notice that these need cellaring for a few more years, so patience will be required.

Hmm, I did not look at the previous vintages, good call though. Now I am back to considering these once again.

richardhod

LSlipetz wrote:Hmm, I did not look at the previous vintages, good call though. Now I am back to considering these once again.

a good googling is generally also wirth it too

tourette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tourette
LSlipetz wrote:Hmm, I did not look at the previous vintages, good call though. Now I am back to considering these once again.

I picked up some of this based on the outstanding reviews from previous vintages. Sounds like a really top notch barbaresco. I also grabbed a couple of the cheap Burgs to round out with free shipping. Great deals with vouchers.

Jeff

richardhod

tourette wrote:I picked up some of this based on the outstanding reviews from previous vintages. Sounds like a really top notch barbaresco. I also grabbed a couple of the cheap Burgs to round out with free shipping. Great deals with vouchers.

Jeff

Looks like an atypical fun interesting winemaker. PArker likes. Not absolutely classically representative of Barbaresco, adn I'm lookingg for traditionally-classic style, so I think I will pass. but I bet they're tasty.

blog review of 04

Berry Bros selling 2006 Barbaresco,'Vigna Erte', Bricco di Neive, Cigliuti
Cigliuti’s wines are for those who love a rich fruit forward style, created on the back of very low yields, rotofermentors and differing sizes of oak. From the gentler sloping, south facing Bricco di Neive vineyard, 'Vigna Erte' is all about grace and softness (compared to the firmer minerally structure of Serraboella). Bottled in Sept 2008 after 18 months in large Slavonian oak, the nose swirls with classic tea-leaf and summer berry characters, while the palate boasts a raspberry/strawberry succulence, openness, and give. Moreish and delicious for another 10 years at least.
(David Berry Green, BBR Buyer)

Likewise: 2007 Barbaresco Cru Serraboella, Cigliuti, Neive.
Clearly remains the estate's flagship wine as its maintains a stiff upper lip in the face of whatever the weather; the white Serraboella soil and near vertical gradient giving this wine high-toned poise. Still a relative baby, this one should grow and grow... if you can wait.
(David Berry Green, BBR Buyer, April 2011)

tourette

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tourette

Interesting. Wish I would have known that before as I also have a preference for the traditional old world wines. It should still be yummy though, as you said.

Did you pick up some of the monprivato? As I understand it, that's one of the truly classic traditional barolos. I'll be excited to try it (in about 10 years or so, haha).

Jeff

k1avg

It's a Magic Pack day on CellarThief. I haven't bought anything from them in a while, since their offers are either not that appealing (lots of South American stuff lately), too expensive, or sell out before I get a chance to grab some. So I went in for a full-case Pack; we'll see what happens...

--
The current holdings.

froboy419

quality posts: 0 Private Messages froboy419

I'm not sure what kind of wine sells for $0.05, but according to a Slickdeals post, a place called BevMo! is having a five cent wine sale tomorrow:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=908804&t=2998455

I guess we'll see.

richardhod

tourette wrote:Interesting. Wish I would have known that before as I also have a preference for the traditional old world wines. It should still be yummy though, as you said.

Did you pick up some of the monprivato? As I understand it, that's one of the truly classic traditional barolos. I'll be excited to try it (in about 10 years or so, haha).

Jeff

No, I'm new to Barolo and the like in Nebbiolo, the last having drunk at about 15, so I missed that one. I am using my credit just for the best, but hadn't decided to research the Italians yet.

nearly went for the Parent Pommard, as it was the best of the Pommards which are all premier cru, but I'm hoping for a Grand Cru / top
Premier cru WITH a better discount already. Wasn't really that cheap.

hunterjaydog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hunterjaydog
froboy419 wrote:I'm not sure what kind of wine sells for $0.05.

I call that "Mother-In-Law" wine. 'Cause that's I'll I'm going to spend on her.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Anybody know about the Ehler's/Vino Family Cab Franc up on inVino? It's got super high alcohol at 15.4% yet a moderate pH of 3.6. Looking for hints as to style here, since I'm not sure what "classic Napa Cab Franc" means.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

froboy419 wrote:I'm not sure what kind of wine sells for $0.05, but according to a Slickdeals post, a place called BevMo! is having a five cent wine sale tomorrow:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=908804&t=2998455

I guess we'll see.

BevMo has a 5 cent wine sale 3-4 times a year. Buy one, get the second for 5 cents on about 150 wines or so, most of which are new world/international style. There are usually one or two that are interesting enough to consider, though. Great way to get some daily drinkers.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

richardhod

klezman wrote:BevMo has a 5 cent wine sale 3-4 times a year. Buy one, get the second for 5 cents on about 150 wines or so, most of which are new world/international style. There are usually one or two that are interesting enough to consider, though. Great way to get some daily drinkers.

Indeed the Torii Mor 2007 was on for $20, cheaper than woot, (I've drunk two bottles, but am keeping the other two for more than 5 years, as I think it's a sleeper like an old-world wine: very austere.. and wonderful potential).
Also the Haywood Zin, which grew on me, has been in this. the 05 is much better than 06 though which I would pass on.
I also stocked up on Schug PN, SB and Chard, found some quaffable fizz for about $6, and took a punt on a couple of Zins with little online data.

Take your smartphone and research instore. Oh yes, it's on the internets too...

richardhod

klezman wrote:Anybody know about the Ehler's/Vino Family Cab Franc up on inVino? It's got super high alcohol at 15.4% yet a moderate pH of 3.6. Looking for hints as to style here, since I'm not sure what "classic Napa Cab Franc" means.

It probably means chewy, fruity, concentrated and extracted! the description hints at it, but also talks of bright red fruit and an end of raspberry, so I'm not sure .I suspect it'll be like the Languedoc CF I had recently which was very good, even though it was riper.

klezman

richardhod wrote:Indeed the Torii Mor 2007 was on for $20, cheaper than woot, (I've drunk two bottles, but am keeping the other two for more than 5 years, as I think it's a sleeper like an old-world wine: very austere.. and wonderful potential).
Also the Haywood Zin, which grew on me, has been in this. the 05 is much better than 06 though which I would pass on.
I also stocked up on Schug PN, SB and Chard, found some quaffable fizz for about $6, and took a punt on a couple of Zins with little online data.

Take your smartphone and research instore. Oh yes, it's on the internets too...

That sounds like a good set of stuff to try. I tend to not get stuff there just because it's usually a shot in the dark, but with good recs I'm always up for something new. We'll see what they put up this time...nothing on the website yet.

klezman

richardhod wrote:It probably means chewy, fruity, concentrated and extracted! the description hints at it, but also talks of bright red fruit and an end of raspberry, so I'm not sure .I suspect it'll be like the Languedoc CF I had recently which was very good, even though it was riper.

Hence my confusion...I was hoping gcdyersb would be in there parts, since he's the resident expert

richardhod

klezman wrote:That sounds like a good set of stuff to try. I tend to not get stuff there just because it's usually a shot in the dark, but with good recs I'm always up for something new. We'll see what they put up this time...nothing on the website yet.

I'd say, use your nous. The ones I mentioned were all woot-aligned, and with my phone and good instinct I can generally tel which is cheap crap and which might be better. The ones it's hard to tell I go for a punt on. Same goes for CF... extrapolate from your experience with online data and use your instinct to close or save your powder!

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern
klezman wrote:Anybody know about the Ehler's/Vino Family Cab Franc up on inVino? It's got super high alcohol at 15.4% yet a moderate pH of 3.6. Looking for hints as to style here, since I'm not sure what "classic Napa Cab Franc" means.

I've been eying the Vino Family Cab and Cab Franc since it went up this morning, but am really on the fence. It's probably good, they claim it's the same juice as the $65/bottle Ehlers Estate, St Helena Cab.

IF it's the same juice as the Ehlers Estate, then it's ~77% off

2005 was a great year for Napa reds.....so tempting. Bummer I missed out on the lot18 vouchers, that would've made it a lot easier decision

wnance

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wnance
richardhod wrote:WAIT!!!! do a google and read up... it's really one for layign down. Get another Savennieres first, and open it for your 30th anniversary...

OK, I did find another Savennieres at our local wine store (Century in Rochester, NY) so I'll bring that on our anniversary, and I bought one of the 04 Ladera Lone Canyon Cabs as well.

I haven't received my Joly yet, let me know when you think you're going to open it down the road. . .

Wes