Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

So let's try this again as there seems to be a lot more offers that ship to AZ these days and I notice more than a few people from the area posting in the main thread.

EDIT:

Looks like we'll be heading the Verde Valley Wineries - Arizona Wine Country over a weekend in April.

Once we have an idea I'll call around to some of the wineries re: costs etc. And check around for transportation, things to do, places to stay.

Who wants in??

1. Imagine4vr
2. sanity
3. T, sanity's +1

Maybes
1. alexa84
2. MarkDaSpark
3. kylemittskus
4. brainchasm
5. mr sanity

alexa84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84
Imagine4vr wrote:So let's try this again as there seems to be a lot more offers that ship to AZ these days and I notice more than a few people from the area posting in the main thread.

Anyone in the Phoenix area care to get together to drink wine? There are a few BYOB places if we want to go out, Cafe Monarch has been at the top of my list for quite some time. I know there are other places as well. Or if someone wants to host that would work; I'm pretty open to ideas. I have met wooters from all over the country and no one here in AZ!!

I'm thinking if there's enough interest we could plan something for mid January. And of course, anyone from the colder parts of the country are more than welcome to visit and escape the frigid weather.

Anyone??

here! I know I missed the Spring Training gathering, and I usually am short on free time, but I'd love to try to get together! And I'm sure I could convince a couple of friends to join us Keep me in the loop if anything starts to take shape!

to help encourage cold weather-ers, it was something like 80 degrees here today. I hear there's nothing but blizzards and collapsing roofs across the rest of the country right now....

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Possibly I can be persuaded ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

brainchasm

quality posts: 6 Private Messages brainchasm

I'm not in AZ (just a short drive though), but I wonder if it might not be feasible to meet in Jerome, AZ?

Reason I ask is, Maynard (from Tool) has vineyards there (Caduceus Cellars & Merkin Vineyards) and is producing pretty fabulous wine. The tasting room is open 365, and it might be a neat thing to tack onto a get-together.

And just because I like the music and the wines, a link - Cadueceus Cellars (give it like 30sec to load...)

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

We've been thinking about taking a ride out to AZ soon.

Visiting the tasting room in Jerome sounds interesting. We would stay in Cottonwood.

Imagine4vr

brainchasm wrote:I'm not in AZ (just a short drive though), but I wonder if it might not be feasible to meet in Jerome, AZ?

Reason I ask is, Maynard (from Tool) has vineyards there (Caduceus Cellars & Merkin Vineyards) and is producing pretty fabulous wine. The tasting room is open 365, and it might be a neat thing to tack onto a get-together.

And just because I like the music and the wines, a link - Cadueceus Cellars (give it like 30sec to load...)

sanity wrote:We've been thinking about taking a ride out to AZ soon.

Visiting the tasting room in Jerome sounds interesting. We would stay in Cottonwood.

I would love to do this - I'd stay overnight as well.

Anyone else?

alexa84

brainchasm wrote:I'm not in AZ (just a short drive though), but I wonder if it might not be feasible to meet in Jerome, AZ?

Jerome's a pretty neat little town - that might be a fun idea!

sanity

Shows what a geek I am - looking at the winery website, I see one of the wines named anubis and first thought is of SG-1. Then I thought of the greek/roman gods studied in 7th grade.

Here's the winery website.

Quite a few recent poor reviews of the staff at the tasting room give me pause, as does the qpr of the wines. I would hope we could arrange to visit a few tasting rooms in the area.

brainchasm, or anyone else, have ideas for other places to visit in the area?

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
sanity wrote:Shows what a geek I am - looking at the winery website, I see one of the wines named anubis and first thought is of SG-1. Then I thought of the greek/roman gods studied in 7th grade.

Quite a few recent poor reviews of the staff at the tasting room give me pause, as does the qpr of the wines. I would hope we could arrange to visit a few tasting rooms in the area.

If it makes you feel better, I read your first line and thought, "What's wrong with that? Seems norm... oh, right."

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:Shows what a geek I am - looking at the winery website, I see one of the wines named anubis and first thought is of SG-1. Then I thought of the greek/roman gods studied in 7th grade.

Here's a site of other wineries in the Verde Valley Arizona Wine Country I've had delicious wines from Alcanterra, Stronghold and Pillsbury. sanity, the wines I brought to Vegas a few tastings back - the white was from Stronghold and Red was Pillsbury.

When were you all thinking might be a good time frame?

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:Here's a site of other wineries in the Verde Valley Arizona Wine Country I've had delicious wines from Alcanterra, Stronghold and Pillsbury. sanity, the wines I brought to Vegas a few tastings back - the white was from Stronghold and Red was Pillsbury.

When were you all thinking might be a good time frame?

I Remember them, and enjoyed them, too.

You had mentioned mid-January? That's a bit soon for us. How about mid-February? Or does that interfere with spring training?

sanity

Gatzby wrote:If it makes you feel better, I read your first line and thought, "What's wrong with that? Seems norm... oh, right."

Well, I didn't think anything wrong with it either.;)
Are you watching SG-Universe? I just started season 1. Please tell me it improves. I'm not expecting it to be like the others, I know the tone is very different...

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:I Remember them, and enjoyed them, too.

You had mentioned mid-January? That's a bit soon for us. How about mid-February? Or does that interfere with spring training?

Mid Feb works fine for me. Spring training doesn't start until the end of Feb - Do we want to look at a calendar and pick dates now?

How does mid Feb look for everyone else to do the Verde Valley Wineries? I'll update the title line to the Verde Valley.

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:Mid Feb works fine for me. Spring training doesn't start until the end of Feb - Do we want to look at a calendar and pick dates now?

How does mid Feb look for everyone else to do the Verde Valley Wineries? I'll update the title line to the Verde Valley.

Yes, let's pick a date. I'm being selfish here, since I want to ride the bike. That will depend upon weather at the time.

Ideally, Saturday for tasting, unless you think it will way too busy, then pick a day. Weekend of Feb 19?

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:Yes, let's pick a date. I'm being selfish here, since I want to ride the bike. That will depend upon weather at the time.

Ideally, Saturday for tasting, unless you think it will way too busy, then pick a day. Weekend of Feb 19?

Sounds good, I updated the title and will update the first post.

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:Yes, let's pick a date. I'm being selfish here, since I want to ride the bike. That will depend upon weather at the time.

Ummm, count me out then. That's Dark & Delicious Weekend!!!! Plus the Scott Harvey party (with the Golden Ticket!) is that Sunday.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sanity

Oh hell, I knew that date sounded familiar. What about the weekend before or after?

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:Oh hell, I knew that date sounded familiar. What about the weekend before or after?

Weekend before will probably be out for me (nephew's bday is 14th, but the weekend after might be okay ..... depending on how much wine is purchased during the orgy that is D&D weekend.

And how much snow is going to be around there? I think it's close to Flagstaff, with higher elevations, and has more potential to have snow & ice?

Imagine4vr

If we're trying to avoid :shudder: snow - I'd go for April - (not March since I'll have guests here all month and will hopefully be doing Vegas Mar 12/13) - I won't be available Feb 26/27 as my friends are coming in and staying at my place.

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:If we're trying to avoid :shudder: snow - I'd go for April - (not March since I'll have guests here all month and will hopefully be doing Vegas Mar 12/13) - I won't be available Feb 26/27 as my friends are coming in and staying at my place.

April sounds good to me. It looks like with the elevation, maybe not so much snow, with February avg temps Highs in mid 50's, Lows in high 20's? Easter is late, April 24th.

alexa84

I like avoiding snow. & I might actually be able to do a trip in April (weekends will hopefully be busy in the restaurant biz until at least then). so we'll put this on, er, ice until then? I can't decide if that was "pun-ny" or not....

MarkDaSpark

alexa84 wrote:I like avoiding snow. & I might actually be able to do a trip in April (weekends will hopefully be busy in the restaurant biz until at least then). so we'll put this on, er, ice until then? I can't decide if that was "pun-ny" or not....

Ditto .....

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I would love to taste AZ wines. I don't think it will be feasible, although maybe, but just know that I'm jealous.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

Imagine4vr wrote:So let's try this again as there seems to be a lot more offers that ship to AZ these days and I notice more than a few people from the area posting in the main thread.

EDIT:

Looks like we'll be heading the Verde Valley Wineries - Arizona Wine Country over a weekend in April.

Once we have an idea I'll call around to some of the wineries re: costs etc. And check around for transportation, things to do, places to stay.

Who wants in??

1. Imagine4vr
2. sanity
3. sanity + 1?

Maybes

So .... you gonna update this anytime soon?

alexa84

MarkDaSpark wrote:So .... you gonna update this anytime soon?

at least put me in the "maybe"s

Imagine4vr

MarkDaSpark wrote:So .... you gonna update this anytime soon?

updated

sanity

mr sanity will be a maybe till the last minute.

sanity

Add another +1. T, whom some of you so-cal wooters have met, will join us.

MarkDaSpark

Last weekend in April won't be good for me. Son's b-day weekend. Also Java wants to go to the Anaheim ComicCon (Wizards World) thing that weekend too.

Easter Sunday is the weekend before that (24th), so I assume that is a bad time for most as well. (Family dinner then.)

Palm Sunday is the 17th. I have no problems that weekend.

And right before that is April 15th. Does anyone really want to travel the weekend before taxes are due?

So weekend of the 2nd or 16th?

MarkDaSpark

Oh, and any Spring Training games the week of March 21st to 25th?? Since my son's cousins are in Phoenix, and the two boys have their birthdays the weekend after that, AND that week is Spring Break for him.

We may head out that way. Or not. Up to the Son (and Holy Ghost).

sanity

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
MarkDaSpark wrote:Oh, and any Spring Training games the week of March 21st to 25th?? Since my son's cousins are in Phoenix, and the two boys have their birthdays the weekend after that, AND that week is Spring Break for him.

We may head out that way. Or not. Up to the Son (and Holy Ghost).

Let me provide that assist there.

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:I vote for April 2.

That's the one weekend I'm not available.

Any other weekend in April is good for me.

sanity

Imagine4vr wrote:That's the one weekend I'm not available.

Any other weekend in April is good for me.

Ah, you did mention that. So sorry. How about the 9th? Or 16th.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Let me provide that assist there.

Thanks ... I need someone to wipe my tuckas as well.

I had hoped Imagine4vr had memorized the Cubs schedule and would know if they played either Angels or Dodgers that week (Angels on the 21st, Dodgers on the 22nd).

Darn Phillie Phans still upset over not playing in the World Series last season. Go throw a battery at Cliff Lee.

MarkDaSpark

sanity wrote:Ah, you did mention that. So sorry. How about the 9th? Or 16th.

16th is better for me, since the 9th is just before Tax Day. And as usual, I'll be trying to find receipts that weekend.

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:Ah, you did mention that. So sorry. How about the 9th? Or 16th.

Shall we shoot for the weekend of the 16th then?

Imagine4vr

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks ... I need someone to wipe my tuckas as well.

I had hoped Imagine4vr had memorized the Cubs schedule and would know if they played either Angels or Dodgers that week (Angels on the 21st, Dodgers on the 22nd).

Darn Phillie Phans still upset over not playing in the World Series last season. Go throw a battery at Cliff Lee.

I'm sure there are games that week (not sure which teams), but I won't have tix available for those dates as the guy who owns the season tix will be here with his posse that week.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks ... I need someone to wipe my tuckas as well.

Sorry about that. My arms won't reach quite that far (2281 mi., but who's counting?).

MarkDaSpark wrote:Darn Phillie Phans still upset over not playing in the World Series last season. Go throw a battery at Cliff Lee.

Nah! It was Phils management that was stupid enough to let him go. [insert 9-V here] But he's back, and all will be better this year!

MarkDaSpark

Imagine4vr wrote:Shall we shoot for the weekend of the 16th then?

Are we all good for the 16th????