Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Talking with sanity and cheron last night, it just makes sense for our wine to have it's very own thread.

First, a huge THANK YOU! to sanity for putting this all together for us. Those who were able to attend the crush and bottling were able to see first hand the fantastic job she did for us.

For those who were not able to attend and are receiving their wines via wootleggers/ups, you will notice that there are no labels on the bottles. Besides the fact we didn't come up with a final decision on time - we have learned wine labels are expensive. For the quantity we would have needed, it's $1 per label, 2 labels per bottle. Please feel free to design, print and label your own bottles. sanity and I talked about using a metallic marker and writing on our bottles. I hope those who make labels will post them here; and Charlie the owner of Grape Expectations (the place we made the wine) asked for a copy of all the different labels we make so he can put them up with all the other labels from all the wines made there.

2 of the bottles were donated to Charlie to enter in a wine judging contest - sanity can fill us in on more details as it happens.

Now to the best part - the wine. YUM! I think everyone was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of juice we made. Even Charlie at GE was very impressed with the blend after initially having some reservations when we picked our grapes. I liked that this was not a fruit bomb, it had some earthy undertones, you could definitely taste the Cab on the finish.

They recommended keeping the wine upside down for several days - your wine was bottled, driven around and flown cross country. After a few days, store on it's side like any other wine. Let it sit a few months and then drink up and post your tasting notes!

All of us who were there are really into doing this again in the fall - I am sure once you taste this first Pub Blend you'll agree we need to make this an annual event.

edited: 08/15/10 - Pic Galleries of the Making of CyberPub Cellars

edited 8/19/12:

CyberPub Cellars 2009 Pub Blend
62% Suisin Valley Zinfandel
23% Amador Barbera
15% Suisun Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
brix at crush 27%
Alcohol 17.6%
3.52pH, 13ppm FreeSO2, .054 VA
no MLF

CyberPub Cellars 2010 Pub Blend II
70% Amador Barbera
20% Suisin Valley(?) Petite Sirah
10% Suisin Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

CyberPub Cellars 2011 Rogue Rhone
86% Suisin Valley Syrah
9.5% Suisin Valley Mourvedre
4.5% Suisin Valley Viognier

Imagine4vr

The final blend -

23% Amador Barbera
15% Suisun Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (includes the small percentage of the community barrel, mostly cab, used to top off the barrel over the months.)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Hopefully, I'll be able to taste this at the next So Cal get together.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

So what happens if we win the tasting this fall?

kylemittskus

cjsiege wrote:So what happens if we win the tasting this fall?

You go into large scale production of course!!! I'll be a financial backer.

Imagine4vr

cjsiege wrote:So what happens if we win the tasting this fall?

We get bragging rights

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Thanks, imagine for starting this thread!

I was just about to answer cj, when I read ahead; yes, bragging rights is our prize.

The dinner is held in August at the World Market Center downtown, and is $65 per person. Last year's event had 400 attendees.

We'll have to come up with a different blend next time; Charlie was saying he was going to suggest this blend to other groups.

I'd like to keep this thread going as we taste the wine over the months to come, so click the permalink and bookmark it! I look forward to hearing about everyone's impressions.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
kylemittskus wrote:You go into large scale production of course!!! I'll be a financial backer.

With what funds? You're constantly babbling about an SIWBM.

Earlier today, for example:

kylemittskus wrote:Stupid SIWBM. I need some cheap whites. I'm not buying anything else, sadly.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

For those that care, here is the CT link for the wine.
Now, I suppose I should have tried to think up some tasting notes while we were bottling...but well, we were just having too much fun. I do know it was very tasty, much moreso than expected. A nice fruit, good earthy components, and tannins to back it up. We turned out what became a very good blend. I'm so glad I suggested to everyone that a Zin/Barbera dominant blend was the way to go.

Now I just wish I had ordered more than a half case.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
HitAnyKey42 wrote:For those that care, here is the CT link for the wine.
{snip}

Now I just wish I had ordered more than a half case.

Psssst...Hey dude, you wanna buy some good stuff?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

What's our next blend?

CT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tenuki wrote:What's our next blend?

You know what. I told sanity I probably wouldn't be able to do the next blend if it's done this year, but in reality, I can probably do the WINE.

Just not the multiple trips to Vegas...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tenuki

cheron98 wrote:You know what. I told sanity I probably wouldn't be able to do the next blend if it's done this year, but in reality, I can probably do the WINE.

Just not the multiple trips to Vegas...

Or just one trip to Vegas, you've gotta take care of Wendy! You can't create a monster and abandon it!

Seriously, I think we were all leery of the quality of the wine, and it turned out to be a good bottle that I'm happy with for $10. I'll give a couple away, bring some to game night etc. so have no problem going in for a future case. And yeah, HAK saving money on that extra half case ... probably seems pretty insignificant with all the other Vegas "costs"

CT

cheron98

tenuki wrote:Or just one trip to Vegas, you've gotta take care of Wendy! You can't create a monster and abandon it!

Frak. And she'll probably want to do the crush next time since she's done the bottling now Which means I'd have to get back out there this year, which is gonna be REAL tough. We'll see.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
Imagine4vr wrote:The final blend -

23% Amador Barbera
15% Suisun Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (includes the small percentage of the community barrel, mostly cab, used to top off the barrel over the months.)

Posted in the old thread as well .... but did they tell us the final numbers for our wine?

That is, the Alcohol level, pH, etc. or do we guess?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Now you have me intrigued to try the blend.

Is there any chance I can get a couple of bottles? Or just one?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

sanity

JOATMON wrote:Now you have me intrigued to try the blend.

Is there any chance I can get a couple of bottles? Or just one?

Well, I have 3 cases, though 11 bottles make up BOB 11, which is bottom of the barrel. Don't know yet whether that's a good thing or not. I'm willing to part with a couple bottles. I'm sure fellow wooters can work out how to get it to you or it can be shipped.

To echo tenuki, this wine turned out better than I had hoped it would. Fruity, earthy, and some tannins. I'll be tasting it this weekend with bbq.

sanity

MarkDaSpark wrote:Posted in the old thread as well .... but did they tell us the final numbers for our wine?

That is, the Alcohol level, pH, etc. or do we guess?

I have a call in to Charlie; I doubt he'll have an analysis for us though.

What would be your guess? And how would you arrive at the numbers?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
sanity wrote:I have a call in to Charlie; I doubt he'll have an analysis for us though.

Reach up and Pluck them from the Air?

"I think it's brilliant! What an idea! And I was there! He took the idea! He saw it ripe on the tree, he plucked it, and he put it in his pocket. It's, it's, dare I say... genius? Ah, no, no! But maybe, ooh! ah! maybe it is! Maybe I'm in the presence of greatness, maybe I just don't know it. But I saw it..." (Steve Martin in Roxanne)

We'd probably have to use a bottle to test with someone. Maybe Scott Harvey or Peter Wellington could help?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
sanity wrote:Well, I have 3 cases, though 11 bottles make up BOB 11, which is bottom of the barrel. Don't know yet whether that's a good thing or not. I'm willing to part with a couple bottles. I'm sure fellow wooters can work out how to get it to you or it can be shipped.

To echo tenuki, this wine turned out better than I had hoped it would. Fruity, earthy, and some tannins. I'll be tasting it this weekend with bbq.

Thank you for the offer. As you so correctly surmised, delivery will be the difficult part.

I see that neither you nor Tenuki will be participating in the RPM tour, so that option is out...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:With what funds? You're constantly babbling about an SIWBM.

Apparently jokes don't translate well via the internet without a complimentary emoticon.

ddeuddeg

kylemittskus wrote:Apparently jokes don't translate well via the internet without a complimentary emoticon.

Agreed, but are you talking about your joke or mine? Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

JOATMON wrote:Thank you for the offer. As you so correctly surmised, delivery will be the difficult part.

I see that neither you nor Tenuki will be participating in the RPM tour, so that option is out...

We have enough to part with a bottle for such a good friend. I'm sure we can find room to bring it with us in July. Right now, we're in the midst of making flight, hotel, and car arrangements. It's interesting to find that renting a car for a week from Oakland is almost $150 less than from SFO. Kind of makes it easy to decide which airport to use, despite the extra time driving from Oakland to San Mateo. And we're planning on flying out of Oakland to Ontario, anyway. But I digress.

kylemittskus

ddeuddeg wrote:Agreed, but are you talking about your joke or mine? Sorry, I just couldn't pass that one up.

I suppose both.

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
JOATMON wrote:Thank you for the offer. As you so correctly surmised, delivery will be the difficult part.

Well, I can either pick one up from tenuki or I can part with one of mine. I'm gonna try to make it to the pre-tour dinner on Monday so as long as I pick up my bottles from mewalk by that time, I should at least have a bottle to part with. Let me know if you're interested. Another good excuse for me to make it up to Sonoma.

ddeuddeg

CAGrl wrote:Well, I can either pick one up from tenuki or I can part with one of mine. I'm gonna try to make it to the pre-tour dinner on Monday so as long as I pick up my bottles from mewalk by that time, I should at least have a bottle to part with. Let me know if you're interested. Another good excuse for me to make it up to Sonoma.

Keep us up to date on that, please, because I'd rather not have to pack one in my suitcase for the trip from Buffalo, if there's another alternative. And it sure will be nice to see you again.

sanity

I decided today, as I was labeling boxes, to taste a bottle every 6-8 weeks and post the notes.

4 people tasted and made notes; the consensus is listed and individual tastes noted. I decided to use this as an exercise in reporting tasting notes.

Upon opening, very pretty dark magenta color, almost dark cherry.

First flavors: cherry, other berry, alcohol, brown tree bark, burned candied fruit, sour cherries, and a feel of chalkiness and tannins.

Very pleasant mid-palate taste of fruit and earth.

20 minutes later, alcohol and chalk have faded significantly, black cherry, tobacco, basil (definitely not anise or licorice), hint of chocolate and other spiciness.

These flavors were not in your face, but very fleeting. The wine is definitely weak on the finish, but still very pleasant.

We tasted this with a top quality cooked pepper bacon, and browned chicken thighs which were ingredients that ended up in a gringo-mexican chicken stew. Very nice with the food, brings out the spiciness, pepperyiness in the wine.

This wine is not a fruit bomb,nor an earthy delight. It is a pleasant, unsophisticated "daily drinker". surprisingly better than many $10 bottles of wine out there.

We had an interesting discussion about wine. When we first began this venture, I tasted the grapes before crush, and at the press, and the liquid during the fermenting process. I was amazed to learn that sweet zinfandel grapes tasted like zinfandel wine.....but not. The same with the cab and barbera. this was a true revelation to this novice re how wine flavors are achieved, considering the starting product.

Every time I lifted the glass to take a sip, I smelled and tasted earth, fruit and spice.Not a fruit bomb (which I was expecting), not a spice bomb either. A pleasant wine. This was a great learning experience considering the source.

gregorylane

J,

Just got my case in. Does anyone know if I can bring 3 bottles to the History Tour via checked luggage (I would think that's OK?!)? If so, we can give it a taste then.

GL

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

sanity

gregorylane wrote:J,

Just got my case in. Does anyone know if I can bring 3 bottles to the History Tour via checked luggage (I would think that's OK?!)? If so, we can give it a taste then.

GL

Yes, you may check wine in your luggage. There is a thread around here about traveling with wine.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
sanity wrote:I have a call in to Charlie; I doubt he'll have an analysis for us though.

If you knew the starting gravity of the must (or even the Brix) and have a triple-scale hydrometer then you can read off the potential alcohol. If the juice started at, say, 24 Brix, the potential alcohol is around 13%.

The mathy way is to take the specific gravity of the juice, assume that it's a sugar-water solution, calculate the # moles glucose (@ 180 g/mol), assume perfect conversion for a dry wine to ethanol, calculate # moles ethanol produced (@ 46 g/mol), use its specific gravity (0.789 g/mL) to get the alcohol percentage by volume.

That was an aside to my note that the Pub Blend was nice and tasty. Thanks all for making it, to tenuki for bringing it the other day, and I hope to be in on the next round.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cheron98

klezman wrote:If you knew the starting gravity of the must (or even the Brix) and have a triple-scale hydrometer then you can read off the potential alcohol. If the juice started at, say, 24 Brix, the potential alcohol is around 13%.

IIRC, the brix was at like 27 at the crush.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
cheron98 wrote:IIRC, the brix was at like 27 at the crush.

Then hydrometer says potential alcohol is just shy of 15%. Given non-fermentables and such, maybe 14.5%?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

sanity

klezman wrote:Then hydrometer says potential alcohol is just shy of 15%. Given non-fermentables and such, maybe 14.5%?

Thanks cat and klezman; I looked up the brix and yes it was 27%. It "feels" like a 14.5%, as opposed to something with less alcohol. Also, I remember at the time of the crush I was surprised at how some of the fruit was raisiny, and tasted sweeter than some of the other fruit, which got me thinking that the alcohol would be higher.

In tasting, it doesn't taste of high alcohol like some wines do, though at first whiff the alcohol is certainly prevalent.

Next time, I'd like to be more involved in the process throughout.

gregorylane

Well...let my case sit in the chiller for 48 hrs., and opened a bottle last night. I, nor POSSLQ were much in the mood for drinking (trying to get a bit fitter), so we just poured 3 glasses with the entire bottle (my son is always included).

Not really going to give long tasting notes, but here's the impression:

Lots of fruit on the nose and palette initially (the Barbera?). It was great to let the wine open in the glass, and we both took about 2 hours to drink our portion. So many changes...from new fruit with a bit of spiciness...to earthier tones in about a half hour. After a half hour, WOW. Very well balanced...the tannins were smooth...the fruit forwardness just kind of faded away.

After an hour and a half the Zin and the Cabernet were really blended and up front. At 2 hours the finish came on strong, a bit hot, but not with alcohol...more the Zin I think.

But very, very smooth!

Excellent job all of you that made this. I will be squirreling some away...I think this has a good 4-5 year window, but is excellent now. It'll be interesting to see if there is a sleepy period.

Great job, again !

rpm-2012

sulakdd

quality posts: 12 Private Messages sulakdd

Thanks again Sanity! I hope you're feeling better!!

Here's my tasting notes for the Publend:
Dark in color - dark plum.
Fruity nose; really smells like "wine," if that makes sense ; )
Some cherry on the nose, but this is probably the strongest example of cassis that I've smelled; I smell blackberry brandy too; generally, just a mix of dark berries.
First sip - light tannic bite, mostly on the sides of the tongue; I can't really pick out anything particular as far as flavor goes. It's a good wine, not great, easy drinking. Poured the second glass through the vinturi - tastes "lighter" and a little more fruity.

ddeuddeg

Now that this has popped back up, I'm wondering if we ever reached a decision on labels, were we getting them printed, or is it every man for himself?

Imagine4vr

ddeuddeg wrote:Now that this has popped back up, I'm wondering if we ever reached a decision on labels, were we getting them printed, or is it every man for himself?

Every man/woman for themselves. The price to print labels was costly - I'm sure sanity can chime in here about that.

ddeuddeg

Imagine4vr wrote:Every man/woman for themselves. The price to print labels was costly - I'm sure sanity can chime in here about that.

I hope she will. Didn't there need to be some kind of label on the wine for the competition or something next month?
I remember some discussion about the price being somewhere around a couple of dollars each. We spent in the neighborhood of $1000 on the trip out there just for the bottling weekend, counting airfare, 2 nights lodging, and that delightful soirée on Friday night with you, Sparky, HAK, and tenuki. In that context, $2 per label for a case of wine comes out to about a 2% increase in the overall outlay. Pretty small potatoes.
If anybody is going to print labels and hasn't already done so, and could add another dozen for us, I'd be happy to pay for them. I simply don't have good access to the design copy or a means of getting them printed. I'd be happy with any of the designs we looked at, even if there never was a consensus about the winner.

sanity

I'm traveling and don't have access to my notes right now; what I remember is that with artwork charges for using our own design, the labels came out to about $2 each, so $4 for a front/back combo. I am going to make labels soon; have a lot on my plate now. I'll report back with firm info. I don't think labels were required for the judging, though.

We did send our money in this week for the August dinner. Anyone else coming for dinner?

tenuki

sanity wrote:I'm traveling and don't have access to my notes right now; what I remember is that with artwork charges for using our own design, the labels came out to about $2 each, so $4 for a front/back combo. I am going to make labels soon; have a lot on my plate now. I'll report back with firm info. I don't think labels were required for the judging, though.

We did send our money in this week for the August dinner. Anyone else coming for dinner?

Thinking about it, always up for an excuse to go to vegas

CT