brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

No mention of organic classification... is it? And if not, are there any plans to offer an organic product?

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

rainrepublic

quality posts: 20 Private Messages rainrepublic
brucedoesbms wrote:Is evaporated cane juice the same as sugar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporated_cane_juice

Because we produce at the source, we can be choosy about our cane juice. We work with a local processor to get the perfect, unrefined dark sweet taste that is a signature ingredient to our product.

Jungle Josh

dc4all

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dc4all

And good for you too:

April 1, 2010 (Nuthetal, Germany) — The largest observational study so far to examine the association between chocolate consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease has found that those who ate the most chocolate--around 7.5 g per day--had a 39% lower risk of MI and stroke than individuals who ate almost no chocolate (1.7 g per day) [1].

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/719622?src=emailthis

rainrepublic

volto wrote:How is this a launch?

This is our first US sale. We are a Guatemalan Company. Until now, this secret has been for locals only.

Jungle Josh

vinithehat

quality posts: 23 Private Messages vinithehat
rainrepublic wrote:This is our first US sale. We are a Guatemalan Company. Until now, this secret has been for locals only.

Josh, I notice you have a woot under your belt. What do Guatemalan chocolate producers woot?

dangerhaus

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dangerhaus
vinithehat wrote:What do Guatemalan chocolate producers woot?

soon to be a major motion picture

the ha is silent - i'm laughing on the inside

ausfest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ausfest
PhilSandifer wrote:Lindt, as luxury chocolate brands go, is well below what people really go nuts on. Try Vosges or Theo if you want super-premium chocolate.

Where you're looking at $5-7.50 a bar.

This is a very, very good deal, from what I can tell, but of course, for a product launch it's tough to tell. But if you're comparing this to Lindt, you're not in the right market.

Indeed, Theo and Lindt barely compare to each other in terms of quality. The price difference truly reflects the experience. That said, where would Rain Republic lean on a scale that had the two brands at opposite ends? I am a bit of a chocolate snob and am flirting with today's Woot.

rainrepublic

vinithehat wrote:If so, please explain this:
"Allergy Info: May contain traces of milk, peanuts and/or tree nuts."

Our machines are used to make milk chocolate too. Even though we clean them well it is a possibility that traces of milk may remain and some people are verrry sensitive hence the warning.

Jungle Josh

dangerhaus

mboverload wrote:Woot changed its launch logo. I am sad.

Popehat has been retired for a new glitzy model. We should all mourn this turn of events.
This is bringing flashbacks of my ex.

Woot. You know not what you have done.

no: they know; i know not. never had a pope hat, and now that i do, you poop in it.

dangerhaus

ausfest wrote:Indeed, Theo and Lindt barely compare to each other in terms of quality. The price difference truly reflects the experience. That said, where would Rain Republic lean on a scale that had the two brands at opposite ends? I am a bit of a chocolate snob and am flirting with today's Woot.

ohfercryinoutloud, are you gonna buy it cuz someone gives it an 8.3 rating or are you gonna trust that woot (which generally is perceived to give value for money) is offering something worth the 30 bux and simply look forward to tasting it? some snob you are. eat the chocolate! EAT IT!

vinithehat

dangerhaus wrote:no: they know; i know not. never had a pope hat, and now that i do, you poop in it.

uhhh. okay man... you might be looking for trippin'balls.woot.com?

tlrowe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tlrowe

FWIW -
Trader Joes did a chocolate palette over Christmas - not sure if it is still available...
8 2oz bars for $10
The Venezuelan and Ecuadoran were stellar - and I am a severe chocoholic.

rainrepublic

vinithehat wrote:Josh, I notice you have a woot under your belt. What do Guatemalan chocolate producers woot?

Thanks for your question. As we are not in the US often so we can't order for ourselves, which bites because good wine is hard to come by here so, we like to gift. We have gifted red wines and today a box of chocolate, its the best in the world I hear, to friends, partners and family.

Jungle Josh

lesj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lesj
Catbertthegreat wrote:Amano would probably blow it out of the water.

Many of the people who have tried Amano and our bar, expressed how much they enjoy our bar as much as theirs

brucedoesbms

rainrepublic wrote:This micro batch was made just last month so its as fresh as possible.

Just how big, or should I say small, is a micro batch?...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

rainrepublic

ausfest wrote:Indeed, Theo and Lindt barely compare to each other in terms of quality. The price difference truly reflects the experience. That said, where would Rain Republic lean on a scale that had the two brands at opposite ends? I am a bit of a chocolate snob and am flirting with today's Woot.

The price represents the quality of our product, the dedication of our workers and our commitment to doing things right. This is the best of the best, you will not be disappointed.

Jungle Josh

vinithehat

rainrepublic wrote:Thanks for your question. As we are not in the US often so we can't order for ourselves, which bites because good wine is hard to come by here so, we like to gift. We have gifted red wines and today a box of chocolate, its the best in the world I hear, to friends, partners and family.

You're here a couple hours and you're already self-serving, sarcastic and snarky. Welcome to woot!

lilbrownbat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lilbrownbat
Greshmahg wrote:Guatemalan chocolate?! Not exactly Dutch, Danish, or Belgian.

Pass.

Guatemala is the country of origin of the beans -- they don't say where the chocolate itself is produced. FWIW, they don't grow cocoa in Denmark, Belgium or the Netherlands ;-)

rainrepublic

brucedoesbms wrote:Just how big, or should I say small, is a micro batch?...

Only 11,500 bars were produced. They are all on sale via woot only. They are one of a kind and we hope you wooters enjoy them.

Jungle Josh

lesj

adamanth wrote:What about this product's Fair Trade status? I assume that if they aren't saying then it isn't Fair Trade?

Hi, although our products are not "Fair Trade" certified, they do comply and surpass most of the labor, environmental and social standards required for this and other certifications. However, we are working directly with the coops and communities that produce our cacao and vanilla in the creation of a fund that will allow them to cover the costs all these certifications.

ausfest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ausfest
dangerhaus wrote:ohfercryinoutloud, are you gonna buy it cuz someone gives it an 8.3 rating or are you gonna trust that woot (which generally is perceived to give value for money) is offering something worth the 30 bux and simply look forward to tasting it? some snob you are. eat the chocolate! EAT IT!

Never question my snobbery. A snob samples, let's the flavor attach itself to the soft palate and melt its way to the taste buds in order to assess that the product is worthy of purchase price. We snobs don't merely order the object of our snobbification on some website just because some forum bully offers up a harangue climaxing in all caps.

That said, in for one.

lesj

What type of wine would you recommend to pair up with a dark chocolate? and, does anyone have any good stories about pairing dark chocolate with wine?

brucedoesbms

What genotype of cacao do you utilize in your chocolate? Is it the Criollo variety?

brucedoesbms

rainrepublic wrote:Only 11,500 bars were produced. They are all on sale via woot only. They are one of a kind and we hope you wooters enjoy them.

wine.woot!ers better jump on this if there are only 1,150 orders available... I smell an early sellout!

bzandt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bzandt
brucedoesbms wrote:They're the same... Sucrose

That's like saying that vodka, tequila, rum, and whiskey are all the same, because they're all roughly 40% Ethyl Alcohol and 60% water. What makes all those spirits different are the minute flavorings and impurities that come from the source ingredients (corn, potato, rye, etc).

The more refined a sugar is, of course, the more these impurities are removed and more similar sugars from different sources taste. But I've definitely had some (relatively) unrefined cane sugar in chocolate before and it's flavor is the first thing you notice.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
rainrepublic wrote:Only 11,500 bars were produced. They are all on sale via woot only. They are one of a kind and we hope you wooters enjoy them.

Mmmmmm... 3.28E-28 solar masses of chocolate...

vinithehat

afranke wrote:Mmmmmm... 3.28E-28 solar masses of chocolate...

OK spaz, it's wedgie time!

bzandt

dangerhaus wrote:crunchy frogs, i hope.

Given the weather here in the southeast today, I'd bet it's the "spring surprise"

brucedoesbms

bzandt wrote: But I've definitely had some (relatively) unrefined cane sugar in chocolate before and it's flavor is the first thing you notice.

I prefer to notice the chocolate flavor first...

bzandt

dangerhaus wrote:crunchy frogs, i hope.

friday afternoon historical context video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy6uLfermPU

rainrepublic

brucedoesbms wrote:What genotype of cacao do you utilize in your chocolate? Is it the Criollo variety?

This is a really woot question, thanks. Let me start with some FUN facts. Cacao trees can self pollinate. On any tree you can find up to all three types of cacao, criollo, trinitario and forestero.

Because cacao is indigenous to Guatemala and many small farmers, 1 to 5 trees each, have plantations that stretch back 100's of year or more, we get a lot of criollo. We also get a lot of forestero, the largest seed and trinitario too. Its a mix as all natural cacao will be.

Jungle Josh

dangerhaus

tlrowe wrote:FWIW -
Trader Joes did a chocolate palette over Christmas - not sure if it is still available...
8 2oz bars for $10
The Venezuelan and Ecuadoran were stellar - and I am a severe chocoholic.

i saw it seasonally (december season) in detroit area a few years back, and just recently in pittsburgh (they may have continued it past the season). definitely good value (hey, it's trader joe's).

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
rainrepublic wrote:This is a really woot question, thanks. Let me start with some FUN facts. Cacao trees can self pollinate. On any tree you can find up to all three types of cacao, criollo, trinitario and forestero.

Because cacao is indigenous to Guatemala and many small farmers, 1 to 5 trees each, have plantations that stretch back 100's of year or more, we get a lot of criollo. We also get a lot of forestero, the largest seed and trinitario too. Its a mix as all natural cacao will be.

Wow! Is there a "Top quality chocolate primer 101" anywhere online or off so I can learn what it all means? Talk chocolate as well as rpm talks wine?!

bzandt

lesj wrote:What type of wine would you recommend to pair up with a dark chocolate? and, does anyone have any good stories about pairing dark chocolate with wine?

I like to pair some dark chocolates with a nice Malbec. I find the bitter notes in both the dark chocolate and the Malbec can compliment each other.

To the wisened winos here, feel free to tear my suggestion apart!

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
Cesare wrote:Rain Republic triple-single-origin Guatemalan Chocolate Ten - Pack
$24.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: 100% Natural
Product: 10 Two Ounce Rain Republic triple-single-origin Guatemalan Chocolate Bars

Rain Republic on Facebook

Product website

So, this is $6 inc postage for the equiv of a norma 100g ~= 4oz bar. "ridiculously exoensive silver lake coffee shop chocolate bars can be $7.50+tax. most decent choc bars are in the $3-4 range.

How can I know this is more chocolate's Iron Horse rather than NV Champagne?

We need taste-o-net for sampling.

ChefRAZ

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ChefRAZ
DaZoneRanger wrote:Do they even have cacao trees in Holland, Denmark or Belgium?

they process chocolate there. they get thier cocoa beans from several different places.really good choclate is a blend of different cocoa beans.

dangerhaus

lesj wrote:What type of wine would you recommend to pair up with a dark chocolate? and, does anyone have any good stories about pairing dark chocolate with wine?

yes but i cannot relate them here onaccounta the subsequent pairing.

emmy83

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emmy83

We got a sample of your chocolate with a Cabernet wine from woot. We all thought they went together pretty well.

I have a feeling that it would go well with the Barbara from a few weeks ago (the regulars will remember it). I thought the Barbara had a fair amount of chocolate aroma and I think it would probably be quite good with this.

dangerhaus

richardhod wrote:Wow! Is there a "Top quality chocolate primer 101" anywhere online or off so I can learn what it all means? Talk chocolate as well as rpm talks wine?!

maybe see brucedoesbms' comment about where chocolate comes from in the Quality Posts.

ecue

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ecue

I'm one of those guys that has to have chocolate the hand full of times each year I have a Port. I wonder how these will pair up.