+ Add a Comment

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

PoSt away, folks.

And you missed a hell of a weekend. Next year will be bigger, better, darker, and even more delicious. FEARSOME TANNINS from the waffleiron.

Thanks to WD and Drew for making this so awesome.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I saw Shutter Island. It was worth seeing but nothing amazing. Gone Baby, Gone (same author) was MUCH better I thought. It's been a while since I've seen an excellent movie. Wolfman was terrible. So was Avatar.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
PetiteSirah wrote:PoSt away, folks.

And you missed a hell of a weekend. Next year will be bigger, better, darker, and even more delicious. FEARSOME TANNINS from the waffleiron.

Was wondering if you'd find time to make the pub thread. Sorry about leaving so quickly and hope you got a ride okay. Gwaina or however you spell her name said it was cool. J was definitely about to crash and I figured I should get her home. Great seeing y'all though.

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Scott still doesn't have a CT license, grrr...

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

So after missing such an awesome Saturday and Sunday, I am definitely more leaning towards doing the Vincent Arroyo barrel tasting. Hoping some wooters will join me (hint hint to tenuki).

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm
mother wrote:Scott still doesn't have a CT license, grrr...

Ah, but you have friends who you will see during the summer! See PMs.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Now, if only I can get my woot b-day coupon . . .

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Want me to place an order for you? Do you want just one set? I already have a shipment of Scott Harvey in my cellar waiting delivery to you. I can easily add to it, and I'm definitely going to place an order for myself in a few. If I do 3 sets (with one or two going to you), it'll lessen the cost per bottle.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

You could send it here and pick it up in May if you come to the Woot Cellars tasting...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mother

Thanks for the offers you three. I'm trying to decide if I really want this enough to wootleg it. I'm getting really tired of wootlegging Scott's wine...

Plus I've got plenty of riesling in the house, and it's not something that California is known for

cheron98

mother wrote:Thanks for the offers you two. I'm trying to decide if I really want this enough to wootleg it. I'm getting really tired of wootlegging Scott's wine...

Plus I've got plenty of riesling in the house, and it's not something that California is known for

Yes but this includes the MICHIGAN riesling, which is fan-freaking-tastic.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Great deal on a 450 bottle wine cellar in SoCal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150416614461&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

I'd be all over it if I were anywhere near Moorpark, CA.

bahwm

mother wrote:Thanks for the offers you three. I'm trying to decide if I really want this enough to wootleg it. I'm getting really tired of wootlegging Scott's wine...

Ah, but it's Scott Harvey riesling! That's the difference! This man knows how to make riesling!

mother

bahwm wrote:Ah, but it's Scott Harvey riesling! That's the difference! This man knows how to make riesling!

But not how to buy a $200 shipping license :P

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
mother wrote:But not how to buy a $200 shipping license :P

Actually, I fear he is good with economics. How much does he need to sell to cover the CT license? Does he already have sufficient markets that he does not need to buy a CT license? Are there states with more wine-buyers that he could buy the license for first?

I think that it many winemakers decide it is not worth getting a CT license as the market is not large enough to be worth it, or they will go into other states first.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
bahwm wrote:Ah, but it's Scott Harvey riesling! That's the difference! This man knows how to make riesling!

This is a true story. In fact, so good that Jana told us (while beaming) that they are working on exporting their riesling to Germany. That's right...American Rieseling back to Germany!!!

I'll likely buy my set when I finally get my arse home this evening. Still in Napa but getting ready to head out of town in the next hour...while possibly stopping at one or two more wineries. And then again in a few hours when I pass through the Livermore valley.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

mother

polarbear22 wrote:Actually, I fear he is good with economics. How much does he need to sell to cover the CT license? Does he already have sufficient markets that he does not need to buy a CT license? Are there states with more wine-buyers that he could buy the license for first?

I think that it many winemakers decide it is not worth getting a CT license as the market is not large enough to be worth it, or they will go into other states first.

Between you, me, darlene, and rpm, he could easily justify the $200 ;)

Edit: And he is physically present in WI right now for marketing purposes... Doesn't seem too big a deal to get that CT license ;)

cheron98

People attending or thinking about attending the Woot Cellars Celebration in May

Your presence is requested in the thread.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
mother wrote:Plus I've got plenty of riesling in the house, and it's not something that California is known for

Kinda where I am on this. Working in favor is Scott and his Riesling experience. Against are those cali grapes. A $17 Riesling from Cali against a $17 New York is a big question mark. At this point I'd normally type the obligatory "I'll wait on the rats" But too many rats have sucked recently. And a rat on this would have to know Riesling to give me the sort of taste test I'd like. I just don't want to read; "It was sweet enough for the little lady."

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

PetiteSirah wrote:PoSt away, folks.

I bet I did...I'd love to make it one day.
Fun crowd and it sounds like Drew brought a taste of his southern hospitality!

What, no pics to post?

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
INTLGerard wrote:I bet I did...I'd love to make it one day.

What, no pics to post?

Drew was great. But I think we might have scared him off. He was going to join us at the Harvey house but didn't... something about work or had to wash his hair... yeah, that's it... his hair. Was it something we said?

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
mother wrote:...

Lighter wrote:Kinda where I am on this. Working in favor is Scott and his Riesling experience. Against are those cali grapes. A $17 Riesling from Cali against a $17 New York is a big question mark. At this point I'd normally type the obligatory "I'll wait on the rats" But too many rats have sucked recently. And a rat on this would have to know Riesling to give me the sort of taste test I'd like. I just don't want to read; "It was sweet enough for the little lady."

mother and Lighter,I purchased the 2 cali wines with the Super Bowl offer and was sorry I didn't take advantage of the 3-fer offer on his site.

We opened both Rielsings and enjoyed them both. they are different, but both have that German style flavor. Having lived and worked in Germany many years ago, I enjoy Rieslings as these were my first introduction to wine.

Of note is the low alcohol content. In my experience (and other may chime in on the science behind it in the main thread) the low alcolhol means a more delicate wine (oops, yes, that word was used in the description on the woot home page, and here is a very apt descriptor.) The SH Riesling is mild, delicate, very well balanced, and extremely food friendly. Not much bouquet, especially compared to the Jana, light in color, crisp with out being puckering at all, and as I sipped, my first thought was wow, I'm back in Germany sipping wine and eating schnitzel at my favorite little place on the Frankfurter Strasse in Neu-Isenberg. My next thought was this would be perfect for our hot summer days here in the desert. Again, this is a very mild, delicate wine. This is not a knock-your-socks-off wine, nor do I think it was designed to be. This is a perfect every day wine.

The Jana, too, reminded me of Germany. This wine had a stronger bouquet, a touch more fruitiness. both wines had a minerality, though slightly different from one another, that definitely reminded me of California. Also a good food wine.

These wines would go with almost any chicken-with-sauce dish, lighter pork dishes, or spicy dishes. One caveat would be to not serve it with tomato dishes (too much acid in the tomatoes) or any dish overtly seasoned with vinegar like pickles or olives or kimchi, etc.

Hope this helps. I'm looking forward to tasting the Michigan Riesling!

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
mewalk707 wrote:Drew was great. But I think we might have scared him off. He was going to join us at the Harvey house but didn't... something about work or had to wash his hair... yeah, that's it... his hair. Was it something we said?

Something we said? There were only like a dozen remarks that crossed the line, per hour

Benefits of being local, going back this weekend to hang out with CAGirl and mewalk again Although I have to play pool this week so can't make the 8th street wineries open house, so sad

CT

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
tenuki wrote:Something we said? There were only like a dozen remarks that crossed the line, per hour

Benefits of being local, going back this weekend to hang out with CAGirl and mewalk again Although I have to play pool this week so can't make the 8th street wineries open house, so sad

I'll be thinking of you as I enjoy my time at the 8th street winery's open house.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
tenuki wrote:Something we said? There were only like a dozen remarks that crossed the line, per hour

You really should come to AZ in 2 weeks

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
Imagine4vr wrote:You really should come to AZ in 2 weeks

I agree! If I don't ride the motorcycle out, you can drive with me. fly to Vegas, drive to AZ, fly back to CA.

cheron98

So. Truffle Tremor + 2004 Ty Caton Merlot = Mmm Mmm Good!

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:So. Truffle Tremor + 2004 Ty Caton Merlot = Mmm Mmm Good!

Truffle Tremor is delicious. Speaking of TC, I wantz Field Blend!!! I'm down to my last bottle and I don't want to drink it because then I'll have zero.

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:Truffle Tremor is delicious. Speaking of TC, I wantz Field Blend!!!

I think I still have 5. Too bad you're not coming in May, I may have been convinced to share

And I'm not so delighted by the truffle tremor. I think I was hoping for it to taste more similarly to the truffle cheese we had recently in Buffalo, but it's a little too strong for me. It's good with the Merlot, but I found after just a few bites I'd had more than enough of it. It's gonna take way longer to go through this than hoped. Which means I have a whole wedge that I'm not sure what to do with.

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:I think I still have 5. Too bad you're not coming in May, I may have been convinced to share

Five?!?!

Sparky probably has a bunch too. But no! I'm an spoon and didn't realize how good it was when I only bought one set!

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Hey, you need to go post in the Ct thread.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:I think I still have 5. Too bad you're not coming in May, I may have been convinced to share

And I'm not so delighted by the truffle tremor. I think I was hoping for it to taste more similarly to the truffle cheese we had recently in Buffalo, but it's a little too strong for me. It's good with the Merlot, but I found after just a few bites I'd had more than enough of it. It's gonna take way longer to go through this than hoped. Which means I have a whole wedge that I'm not sure what to do with.

That's where we are with the Bermuda Triangle--too much of it. I'm not such a bleu cheese fan. Oooh, maybe we'll put some of that out tomorrow night. I'm going to put some of that red pepper icewine jelly on some brie and bake it. We tried that before and it was delish!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:Five?!?!

Sparky probably has a bunch too. But no! I'm an spoon and didn't realize how good it was when I only bought one set!

I think I have 6-7 or so...
One of these days I'll get my wine inventory on CT.

Edit: For the first time, I asked my 5yo to go down to the wine cellar to pick out a bottle of wine. He was thrilled! "Daddy, I'm going to grab one of the red ones!" And, low and behold, the TC Field blend is what he came back with. A couple nights later, it was a Ferrari-Carano. Not bad, kid. Not bad.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:I think I have 6-7 or so...
One of these days I'll get my wine inventory on CT.

Edit: For the first time, I asked my 5yo to go down to the wine cellar to pick out a bottle of wine. He was thrilled! "Daddy, I'm going to grab one of the red ones!" And, low and behold, the TC Field blend is what he came back with. A couple nights later, it was a Ferrari-Carano. Not bad, kid. Not bad.

Awesome story! Kid has damn fine tastes.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

I think I may have found heaven.... a nice Cohiba cigar, some white port, and to top it all off, a newborn daughter to cuddle with.

And no, the cuddling was AFTER the cigar.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
bahwm wrote:That's where we are with the Bermuda Triangle--too much of it. I'm not such a bleu cheese fan. Oooh, maybe we'll put some of that out tomorrow night. I'm going to put some of that red pepper icewine jelly on some brie and bake it. We tried that before and it was delish!

Same here with the Bermuda Triangle.

We did break into the Truffle Tremor tonight. I liked the goopy part best, which got even goopier when I put it on a toasted Pita. Joel, after careful consideration gave it high marks. The truffle was subtle, but that was fine with me. There is a fine line between tasty truffle and way over the top truffle. Less is more.

Back to my glass of Little Vineyards Syrah.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:Five?!?!

Umm, 8 or 9

Shows 9 in CT, but not sure if I brought one to Vegas and haven't updated since then.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

INTLGerard wrote:I bet I did...I'd love to make it one day.

What, no pics to post?

Haven't had time to make them Web sized and upload them yet. Plus get approval from everyone on their pics ..... So probably Wednesday I'll post the link to the pics.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

mewalk707 wrote:Drew was great. But I think we might have scared him off. He was going to join us at the Harvey house but didn't... something about work or had to wash his hair... yeah, that's it... his hair. Was it something we said?

Nope. Just WD flying out early on Sunday, and having to go over last minute stuff with Drew. He wished he could have made it, but he got done too late.

Actually, I think WorstVeg scared him off at Biale .....

cheron98

lauratchi wrote:Same here with the Bermuda Triangle.

We did break into the Truffle Tremor tonight. I liked the goopy part best, which got even goopier when I put it on a toasted Pita. Joel, after careful consideration gave it high marks. The truffle was subtle, but that was fine with me. There is a fine line between tasty truffle and way over the top truffle. Less is more.

Back to my glass of Little Vineyards Syrah.

Yes, the goopy part was better. I think I'm going to have to make a salad with candied walnuts and cranberries and crumble the crumbly part of the cheese on top with a raspberry vinaigrette. I'd make a vinaigrette out of my vinegar but since I just started a fresh batch, there's just not enough there.