kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

No PM for me.

Excited about the new bottling though.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We got the new 2007 bottled on the 20th. I'm already in Wilmington NC doing a winemaker dinner tonight.

On the subject of wine dinners:
It's not enough that you had to create this thread to develop interest in the wine, and then send out your email newsletter with an offer to buy it at a discount, you also had to throw in the little flyer about a dinner on February 12th in Wooster, OH, a mere 4-hour drive from Buffalo. Now how am I going to get a better chance to renew acquaintances and thank you in person, meet Jana, enjoy what looks like a terrific dinner at a very reasonable price together with wines that I already know are terrific, having tasted all of them previously? See you in 3 weeks.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We got the new 2007 bottled on the 20th. I'm already in Wilmington NC doing a winemaker dinner tonight. The Thursday bottling was a hectic day starting at 4:30 AM and ending at about 10 PM. We produced 72 @ 3 liter bottles, 48 cases of 6/1.5L magnums and the rest being 1,723 cases 12/750ml. I am real happy with the wine. But it is not fair to have me labrat the wine. A wine maker will always tell you the last wine thay made is the best. Rather than me labrat it, I have contacted three of you who participated on the blog to do the labrating. You will be getting a private message from me asking if you want to labrat the wine and where to send it. All of you, your participation really helped in making the wine really turn out great.
Thanks so much,
Scott

That is a wonderful approach. Great way to thank those that posted, and to get even more feedback next time.

Any update on being able to ship to CT?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:Any update on being able to ship to CT?

They ship to NY, know anyone there?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Rat-a-tat-tat

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:Rat-a-tat-tat

One. Where are two and three?

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:They ship to NY, know anyone there?

There are a couple. And trust goes both ways, so I think I would be safe.

Jana mentioned looking into CT license. But assuming we are too small for the fee, I will be in touch.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
kylemittskus wrote:One. Where are two and three?

Ummm...maybe over here? (busy day at work today, so only just noticed the PM)

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:There are a couple. And trust goes both ways, so I think I would be safe.

Jana mentioned looking into CT license. But assuming we are too small for the fee, I will be in touch.

As you well know, you are pre-approved, so all you'd need to do is let me know it's coming.

HitAnyKey42

ddeuddeg wrote:As you well know, you are pre-approved, so all you'd need to do is let me know it's coming.

He can also always ship to me too. After all, I still got resting in my wine fridge the last Scott Harvey Amador Sampler order from April which mother shipped to me that I will be delivering when we have the CT Clambake.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:As you well know, you are pre-approved, so all you'd need to do is let me know it's coming.

Thanks. I knew that. And we already have stong interest in making a connection. I will let you know. I may be able to ship to my daughter, but that would require a larger order to cover her as well.

My Cellar

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

Who is the 3rd rat? This has been a long week and my brain is tired.

kdjakubs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kdjakubs
tiger7610 wrote:Who is the 3rd rat? This has been a long week and my brain is tired.

Sadly, it isn't me. Im still in to buy a case.. shucks!

kdjakubs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kdjakubs
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We got the new 2007 bottled on the 20th. I'm already in Wilmington NC doing a winemaker dinner tonight. The Thursday bottling was a hectic day starting at 4:30 AM and ending at about 10 PM. We produced 72 @ 3 liter bottles, 48 cases of 6/1.5L magnums and the rest being 1,723 cases 12/750ml. I am real happy with the wine. But it is not fair to have me labrat the wine. A wine maker will always tell you the last wine thay made is the best. Rather than me labrat it, I have contacted three of you who participated on the blog to do the labrating. You will be getting a private message from me asking if you want to labrat the wine and where to send it. All of you, your participation really helped in making the wine really turn out great.
Thanks so much,
Scott

Ok Scott, since I didn't get the rattage I went ahead and just bought a case You are always welcome to slip and extra one in there if you like! It doesn't take long for it to get to WA thank goodness ! I sure don't mind! Or you could throw in a signed Magnum , but I'm not picky! Can't wait to taste it! BTW, I had sent a request for labels as well so to save you on some shipping, you are welcome to pop them in the box with the case. Keri-Lyn

olabner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages olabner
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I'm back, been going crazy putting this blend together and getting everything scheduled for bottling. After reading all your great input, we are definitely going with the dryer style. I opened up both a bottle of the 2004 and 2006 while making the blend. The 2006 is too sweet while the 2004 tested at 1.2% residual sugar. The new 2007 Blend ended up balancing best at .8% residual sugar.
Blend notes on all three blends are:

76% Zinfandel, 24% Barbera
In 4,941 gallons I added 74 gallons of Zinfandel concentrate to bring the wine up to .8% Residual Sugar. Recent test show 1.2% RS. Our method of testing is not as accurate as a comercial lab. None of the port wine (Forte) was used to sweeten the 2004.

76% Zinfandel, 21% Syrah & 3% port(Forte)
The Forte added was 118 gallons in addition to 146 gallons of Zinfandel concentrate which brought this wine up to just over 2% RS.

New 2007 InZinerator
67% Zinfandel, 26% Syrah, 7% Forte.
The Forte is at about 9% residual sugar while concentrate is at 68% RS. There is no concentrate in the 2007. The only wine used to bring the wine to .8% RS is the Forte. This wine balances to taste just a little dryer than the 2004. Total blend is 4,400 gallons and we will be bottling it on Wednesday the 20th of January.

For those of you who like the sweeter style another blend is also being bottled called One Last Kiss. It used the same blending wines as the InZinerator but as 50% Zinfandel, 38% Syrah and 12% Forte. It is closer to 2% RS. No concentrate was used in this blend either.

We went with two front labels alternating, so there will be 6 bottles of each in every case. One is the same as the Hero on the Mountain that was used on the 2004 vintage and the other is the new Z label.

Hey Scott. For my two cents, let me just say that the big selling point for the 04, to me, was the Barbera in the blend. I love this grape varietal, and it has been very hard for me to find at retail. At any rate, I loved the 04 InZin.

The 06 was good, to me, for what it was, but was a bit sweet for my palate. I am looking forward to the 07, but hope you can do some more blending with Barbera in the future.

I also bought 2 three-packs that were offered about a year ago with the Barbera in it. It was, of course, fantastic. In general, I would love to see talented winemakers like yourself do more with this exciting grape.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

The three Labrat wines shipped out yesterday.
Excited to see how they do.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

The three Labrat wines shipped out yesterday.

HitAnyKey42

ScottHarveyWines wrote:The three Labrat wines shipped out yesterday.

I can't wait to see how I do either.

PS. Cesare/kttest, I haven't really thought about what the end of my week/weekend is going to be like, but if you maybe wanted to try to get together for dinner to share in the labrattery let me know.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

cheron98

oppsie has agreed to join me in the rattery. We will be popping the bottle this weekend - either Friday or Saturday, haven't decided yet. Going to have it with some yummy crock pot ribs and corn bread. zoomba may be joining, haven't heard back from him yet though.

consanguineous

quality posts: 2 Private Messages consanguineous
ddeuddeg wrote:I'm surprised no one beat me to this. I got the email an hour ago. The '07 InZINerator is being offered at 20% off (25% off for club members) until January 31st. Codeword: inzin

Thanks for the information. I just found this thread and picked up a case for $16.90 a bottle shipped with that code. Couldn't wait for the rats; the offer might have expired.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
tiger7610 wrote:Can this offer be combined with a free shipping for woot members who purchased the last inzin? I think thats what the sheet said. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

The offer from July had a code that expired end of August.

bvd23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvd23

I haven't posted really, but have lurked for quite awhile. Anyway, I PM'd Scott for the free labels. So, what do I get? He sends me the labels and 4 autographed posters of the labels. Who does this sort of thing? Thank you Scott. I am now a lifetime customer every time I can afford it.

cheron98

Two kind, sir. Far two kind.

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:Two kind, sir. Far two kind.

He sent you two?!!

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:He sent you two?!!

Apparently he's got two labels going on. My guess is he wants us to choose one

Tomorrow is InZIN day. I'm kind of a little scared. There's only 5 of us. I think I need more people to come over and drink...

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:Apparently he's got two labels going on. My guess is he wants us to choose one

Tomorrow is InZIN day. I'm kind of a little scared. There's only 5 of us. I think I need more people to come over and drink...

Yeah, I already knew he was sending two bottles. Mine arrive on Monday. And since next week is going to be like my craziest work week of the year, I won't be able to touch them until the weekend.
With any luck Cesare/kttest and/or a few others will be free for me to head that way with the bottles to share in the joy.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kylemittskus

Either of you could share the wealth. Just get in the car and drive to So Cal. I have a couch.

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:Either of you could share the wealth. Just get in the car and drive to So Cal. I have a couch.

OR. You could get in the car and drive here.

I have a BED.

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:OR. You could get in the car and drive here.

I have a BED.

Well, that doesn't seem fair. You have the wine so you should definitely dri... oh, right. You have the wine.

Damnit!!!

cheron98

ok. So. This is my very brief summation of the evening with a full report to follow tomorrow when I'm not ready to just pass out.

There were 5 of us. We all enjoyed it quite a bit, but decided it DEFINITELY needs more bottle time and time to just chill out before drinking.

Straight out of the bottle was like smelling the oak barrels (which is a lovely scent, mind you, just not what you really want in a wine), and the Forte really came through on the palate with raisins and prunes. A little bit of time helped temper it and eventually chocolate came out. But really, we tried a number of methods to force this thing to open up and it just wasn't having any of it. Vinturi alone was not enough. Decant for a bit then through the Vinturi was best but still not quite there.

This is a BABY people. Lay it down for a year at least before opening it, or else give it A LOT of time to open up before having it. It's good now, yes, but it has so much potential that having it now is just a sin.

My regret of the evening: Not leaving any to sit in the bottle overnight to try tomorrow.

Why yes, we went through both bottles of it. Completely. AFTER having almost a full bottle of Knapp Curiosity (since I had to cook with it, we figured we might as well drink it).

We followed up with a Crown Bench Estates Vidal Icewine that was CLEARLY past it's time. So we made up for it with a Kent Rasmussen Esoterica Sousao. And then a 2003 Penfolds Bin 28. Because we're crazy like that.

Dinner was Crock Pot Ribs, Confetti Risotto, and Green Beans Provencale with spicy corn muffins, and eclairs for dessert. The risotto was the best pairing with the InZIN.

Another excellent wine by Mr. Harvey. I'm excited to see what this one does over time.

Pictures, recipes, etc to follow. Tomorrow. Now - sleep.

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Pictures, recipes, etc to follow. Tomorrow. Now - sleep.

All that wine for 5 people! No wonder you needed sleep. And no wonder 17.5 hours later, nothing new. We'll look for you sometime on Tuesday or so.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:All that wine for 5 people! No wonder you needed sleep. And no wonder 17.5 hours later, nothing new. We'll look for you sometime on Tuesday or so.

Working on it. Pictures have been uploaded to Facebook and Picasa, working on getting the recipes together. Soon. Promise.

cheron98

Ok. Pictures and recipes, click for larger:

The Wine:

The other bottle has one of the previous labels, but smaller. I liked the Z better.

Crock Pot Ribs:

(original recipe courtesy of Cooks.com - slightly altered)
1 c. finely chopped onion
3/4 c. lemon juice
3/4 c. chopped celery
1 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. wine vinegar
32 oz. bottle ketchup
1 tbsp. prepared mustard
Salt and pepper
3 - 5 lb. beef or pork Texas style ribs

In skillet, saute onion, celery and black pepper in butter. Add to crock pot with remaining ingredients (except ribs) and combine thoroughly. Add the ribs. Cover and cook on high setting 3 - 4 hours. Finish off with a sear on the grill.

Confetti Risotto:

(recipe courtesy of Cooking Club of America)
5 c water
1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 each baby red and orange bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup shelled peas
1/2 cup white wine
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup (2oz) freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add carrot; cook 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, squash, and peas; cook an additional 5 minutes. Drain veggies, reserving water. Set aside veggies, return water to saucepan. Add wine, soy sauce, and salt. Reduce het to low; cover and keep wine mixture simmering while making risotto.

Melt butter in large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; add 1 cup wine mixture. Cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Continue to add wine mixture 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring often until rice is just slightly resistant to the bite and creamy, about 30 minutes. Stir in reserved vegetables and cheese.

Green Beans Provencale:

(recipe courtesy of Cooking Club of America)
2lb green beans, trimmed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 each baby red and yellow bell peppers, cut into strips
1 1/2 tsp herbes de Provence
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup pine or soy nuts, toasted

Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in large pot over high heat. Add beans; return to a boil. Cook beans until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain; run under cold water to stop cooking. (Beans may be cooked ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper; saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans; cook 5 minutes or until heated, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with herbes de Provence and salt; stir to coat. Serve topped with nuts.

Spicy corn muffins:

(recipe courtesy of Ezra Pound Cake)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup buttermilk
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup corn kernels (add up to 3 tablespoons more if you’d like)–fresh, frozen or canned (in which case they should be drained and patted dry)
1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded, deveined and finely diced
1/4 red bell pepper, seeded, deveined and finely diced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin or fit the molds with paper muffin cups. Alternatively, use a silicone muffin pan, which needs neither greasing nor paper cups. Place the muffin pan on a baking sheet.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, salt, baking soda and black pepper. In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter and egg yolk together until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend. Don’t worry about being thorough–the batter will be lumpy, and that’s just way it should be. Stir in the corn kernels, jalapeno, red pepper and cilantro. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a thin knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its mold.

Fully plated:

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote: Fully plated:

You, my dear, are an arteest.

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:You, my dear, are an arteest.

You coulda been here just a short flight

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:You coulda been here just a short flight

It all looks lovely. Sorry we couldn't make it.
I noticed a couple of those recipes were from the Cooking Club of America. I just got an offer from them the other day. It looks pretty interesting, and I've been trying to decide whether it's worth it. If it's one of those things where you have to remember to say no to stuff you don't want/need, I'm lousy at that. Thoughts?
In any event, we'll be trying the green bean recipe soon. Looks yummy. And we're looking for ways to use the pine nuts I just spent a fortune on.

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
kylemittskus wrote:You, my dear, are an arteest.

You meant "artiste"!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
cheron98 wrote:Ok. Pictures and recipes . . .snip

All of the food looks wonderful! Sorry we couldn't join you.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:It all looks lovely. Sorry we couldn't make it.
I noticed a couple of those recipes were from the Cooking Club of America. I just got an offer from them the other day. It looks pretty interesting, and I've been trying to decide whether it's worth it. If it's one of those things where you have to remember to say no to stuff you don't want/need, I'm lousy at that. Thoughts?
In any event, we'll be trying the green bean recipe soon. Looks yummy. And we're looking for ways to use the pine nuts I just spent a fortune on.

I signed up for CCA way back in high school and did the lifetime membership thing. Got an excellent stainless steel cookware set out of it and got myself suckered into buying TONS of cookbooks - you do have to remember to tell them to stop with the books. But it's been worth it to me. I still use those pots. I still get the magazines and wander through the recipes, but I'm not real active otherwise. They do offer classes from time to time if one is in your area - they're in Detroit fairly regularly. It's really what you make it - you can be super active or just enjoy the magazines.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

I just ordered three bottles, and the discount code is still working. But probably not for much longer.

Cheron, are there any restaurants in Greektown that you could recommend?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)