WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Guest blogger Scott Harvey of Scott Harvey Wines returns - to ask wooters what they'd like to see in the blend for his upcoming 2007 InZinerator. Anybody who offers constructive input is hereby allowed to list "Wine Consultant" on his or her resume.

Want to thank the woot community for a wonderful 2009. As we come to the end of 2009 we are coming to the end of the 2006 InZinerator and need to produce a new 2007 vintage bottling. Since the wooters are the biggest InZinerator imbibers, I figure you should have the most input for the next blend. There was a big difference between the last two vintages. The 2004 was made in a drier style at about 1% residual sugar. Very similar to the original Menage a Trois blend when I created it back in 2002. The 2006 was made more to be like the Rombauer El Dorado Country Zinfandel at 2% residual sugar.

Both styles have their place and their following, but it’s time to stick with one style and build on it. The blend will be based on Zinfandel, Syrah and one other variety. Not sure which one yet until I get into the lab and start putting it together. The Zinfandel gives you the up front fruit and the broad base of the wine while the Syrah adds tannin and center structure. The third component is always the wild card. After the Zinfandel and Syrah are put together then I’ll experiment with a number of varieties to find the one that best ties the other two together into a full and complete wine. Then comes the part where you come in, the final decision on residual sugar. More like the original Menage a Trois at about 1% or like the Rombauer Zinfandel at about 2%. Now that you’ve had them both it would be great to hear your preferences.

After the wine is put together, then we have to decide on the label. The 2004 InZinerator came with three front labels all in the same case. We named them 1-Batman, 2-Hero on the Mountain, 3-Superman. We had a tremendous out cry from the distributors and retailers complaining that it was to confusing. We also wanted to introduce a female super hero label, so on the 2006 bottling we put just one label which we call the 4-Femknight. For the next 2007 vintage bottling we can use one of these 4 labels or a mix of them or maybe a new label with just the Z from InZinerator on the front. The back label always stays the same and is really what the TTB approves as the main label. What label or labels would you like to see on the new 2007 Vintage?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Welcome back, Scott!

I found that I preferred the 2004 style, drier, much more over the 2006 style. It was because you said the magnums of the 2006 were actually created as the drier style that I ended up getting those. The 2004s went down really quickly, but the 2006 (bottles) ended up sitting in the fridge for a long time until I ended up just reducing it and turning it into a sauce.

I love the characters on the bottles, but I have read the hub-bub about them and you ending up getting the bottles banned in certain places because of them. And since I already have a full collection of all the current labels, I think I'd like to see just the plain big ol' Z as the label for this one. Plus it helps to distinguish the vintages at an easy glance.

Unless you want to make a new character that's somewhat Catwoman like in appearance. Like maybe a Catwoman with 8 arms... Octocatwoman!

or would it be 6 arms + 2 legs...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
cheron98 wrote:Welcome back, Scott!

I found that I preferred the 2004 style, drier, much more over the 2006 style. It was because you said the magnums of the 2006 were actually created as the drier style that I ended up getting those. The 2004s went down really quickly, but the 2006 (bottles) ended up sitting in the fridge for a long time until I ended up just reducing it and turning it into a sauce.

I love the characters on the bottles, but I have read the hub-bub about them and you ending up getting the bottles banned in certain places because of them. And since I already have a full collection of all the current labels, I think I'd like to see just the plain big ol' Z as the label for this one. Plus it helps to distinguish the vintages at an easy glance.

Unless you want to make a new character that's somewhat Catwoman like in appearance. Like maybe a Catwoman with 8 arms... Octocatwoman!

or would it be 6 arms + 2 legs...

I agree with Cat 100% on both fronts. The drier style with a less "child-tempting" (i.e.: gov't bull s***) label so that you don't get banned from some states. The drier style is more food friendly which I prefer.

I disagree about the octo-mom label.

I also greatly appreciate that you are asking our opinion about your wine making process. I love this place and I very much appreciate the wine maker participation that you and Peter (among others) exhibit.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

evanssm1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages evanssm1

I agree with what Cheron has to say. I also purchased a few of your magnums because they were more like the 2004 instead of the 2006 750ml bottles. Oh and it didn't hurt that they came signed ;). I also agree I like the idea with a big Z on the Label. A big red Z on a black back round with a silver lining. Good luck and thanks for the great offerings.

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar
Ohio #2 Wine Tasting (Anyone In?)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
evanssm1 wrote:I agree with what Cheron has to say. I also purchased a few of your magnums because they were more like the 2004 instead of the 2006 750ml bottles. Oh and it didn't hurt that they came signed ;). I also agree I like the idea with a big Z on the Label. A big red Z on a black back round with a silver lining. Good luck and thanks for the great offerings.

I think he means the Z that's already kind of a trademark like you see on the capsule tops - Purple outlined by yellow on black background.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm

Scott, I strongly agree with those who suggest returning to the 2004 style. Of course, I prefer drier red wines anyway, but still, the relatively high residual sugar reminded me of the old "paisano" or "(expletive deleted) red" style generics made in California in the late 1950s and early 1960s (and before, I'm sure...) - mostly Zin in the better versions (more carignane and lots of alicante in the less impressive versions) but sweeter to the taste than the generics labeled as "chianti".

I'm not saying the wine was at that level of quality, just that as good as it was, and as well-made as it was, it reminded me of the style.

There was a market for that back then, and I suspect there is a market for it still. But, is it art?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bowerad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bowerad

Hi Scott. Love your wines and, in fact, am expecting the UPS guy to be dropping by any minute now with a half case of Syrah. It's delayed Christmas for me!

To the point, I have to agree with the previous posters that I would like to see you do a drier style. I never had the 2004 InZin but the 2006 was definitely a bit too sweet for my tastes. Full disclosure: I've never managed to develop a taste for sweet wines much to the dismay of some port loving friends.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

I really liked the 06 but agree it was almost dessert-like. I also really like Rombauer zins so find it interesting that was what you were aiming for. 06 probably wasn't as jammy as I think of a Rombauer being but definitely enjoyable. The 04 was good QPR though and I wouldn't be disappointed if that's the final direction.

CT

jschacht

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jschacht

I purchased the magnum last Feb. and kept it for Thanksgiving. It was perfect. Blend was 76% Zinfandel / 24% Barbera. Haven't had the others -- this was my first -- but if you can again keep the alcohol to no higher than 13.5% I'd be interested in trying whatever you come up with.

As for labels, though the superheros were fun, I'm more interested in the contents of the bottle.

All the best to you in 2010!

jmpdelos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmpdelos

Here's another vote for the 2004 style. I also agree with Cheron on using the Z (or any new character) for the label. It's nice to be able to differentiate them at a glance and I'm a fan of different labels rather than the same, boring, virtually identical ones from vintage to vintage. Of course, that doesn't really apply in this case since none of the InZinerator labels have been boring :-). On the subject of labels, it was also really nice of you to include a set of them with my order.

While I haven't contributed much to the forums, I do read them pretty religiously and think it's really great that you and other wine makers contribute and even solicit opinions from the masses.

Thanks!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Hi Everyone,
Great to be back on the woot blog. I'll be putting this blend together in the next week, so really appreciate your input. So far looks like the 2004 style is more popular. Which is good, becuase it is the one I was leaning more towards. If we used a Z label, it would be the InZinerator Z that is already on the rest of the labels.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

The 2004 style is clearly the way to go - my vote would just be adding to the overwhelming tally. The labels are fun but if it's down to a rerun of an old label or a new Z, I vote for the mark of Zorro.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

I was just about to mention Zorro! Perhaps SH making the sign with a purple-stained hand? XD

As for the wine itself, I've not had the 2004, but have tried the 2006. I enjoyed it, but REALLY loved the Barbera. It's the only one of the trio I bought from the SH deal awhile back that I've tasted, and that only because I was blessed to 'rat it; the others are cellared. I co-opted my parents as volrats, and they enjoyed it enough that my mom ordered the trio when it was offered again during a more recent wootoff.

All of that is to say--I agree with those supporting the drier 2004-style blend. Would Barbera work as the third grape, especially as it was apparently blended in with the 2006 magnums (which I'm STILL kicking myself for missing; I'm a teacher and w.w. is blocked by our district servers, so no signed bottles for me )? I'm still learning, so don't know whether it would play well with the other two grapes, but I do love what you do with a Barbera! :P~~

(Forget adding a line to my resume; I just wish there were a way to get in on a set of labels! Are they available anywhere?)

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0

Another vote for the 2004 style. I had some of the 2006 lately and didn't realize it was so distinctly different. Too sweet for a non dessert wine, imho. The cork had some sugar crystallization on it, which I found interesting.

I like all the labels, but sticking with one per vintage makes the most sense.

Edit: The 2006 I didn't like was a 750 ml. I'm saving the magnums I bought ;)

Stash at CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

I really enjoy both the 2004 and the 2006. Aware of the greater amount of residual sugar before I tasted the '06, I was not put off by it the way some were, and I think it makes an excellent companion for certain dishes. In fact, I'm hosting a seven-course dinner this coming Saturday (a benefit for the local free outdoor Shakespeare festival, and I'm planning on serving the '06 with the Arugula Salad with Pomegranate and Toasted Pecans following the main course. I'm counting on the sweetness in the pecans and pomegranate seeds to hold their own with the wine.
BTW, this will be the 4th such dinner we've had at our home, and we typically feature at least one Scott Harvey wine on the menu, and they're always very well received.
In any event, I'm also one who's more interested in what's in the bottle than what's on it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ScottHarveyWines

(Forget adding a line to my resume; I just wish there were a way to get in on a set of labels! Are they available anywhere?)[/quote]

I'll send a set of labels to anyone that wants one. Send a message to my private message area and we'll get a set out to you.

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

In honor of this discussion, I just popped the last of my 2006 InZin. The first taste confirmed what I remember, and the bulk of the comments here. I haven't mastered the tasting lingo, but I'd say it's very sweet, almost jammy not in the really fruity sense, but in the jam-vs-preserves "the sugar is the main player here, and the fruit lends flavor to the sweetness," if that makes sense. Oddly, it's too sweet for me to drink it alone; I remember that we did enjoy it with...maybe a pasta? Can't remember now. I'll definitely look forward to drinking the rest with food.

Wow--my tastes have really changed in the past few months--

ETA: Woohoo! PM sent; thanks!

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

In choosing the blend I would vote against adding Barbera to the mix only because the reserve Barbera is so good need to save those grapes for the good stuff. Love that reserve Barbera!

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

ddeuddeg

UBlink wrote:In choosing the blend I would vote against adding Barbera to the mix only because the reserve Barbera is so good need to save those grapes for the good stuff. Love that reserve Barbera!

Amen.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

turndon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages turndon

Count me in for another vote for 2004-style. The 2006 is great as a dessert or cigar wine, but I'm usually too lazy to make dessert and I smoke a cigar maybe once or twice a year...also, the 2004 was spot on--could maybe even go with a touch less RS. Missed the 2006 magnums, but waiting to pop my last 2004 mag in the near future for a dinner party or something.

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

I also vote for the drier 2004-style. Though I thought the '06 was fun and enjoyable, I lean toward the drier for repeat business.

Thanks you, Scott, for letting us add our 2-cents worth, and I'm very pleased that you have labels to spare.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane

Scott, thanks for taking the time to query us all on the 2007 blend...great of you to do this!

I'm absolutely for the drier blend...one other question: What was the "menthol" bit with the 2006? I don't think I was the only one to sense that, and not sure if that came from the higher RS or if it was the varietal used in the blending. It was definitely off-putting for my palette.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

I pile on with the 2004 preferences. While I like most wines (even the big jammy Zins), I prefer those a little drier, with more - shall I say ?subtlety?

For label, I liked the characters on the past vintages, but would like a new label for a new vintage. If the big "Z" is easiest, go for it.

-Andrew

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Just wanted to note my support for the 2004 style as well. I don't know enough about specific grape types and what they'd add to the blend to make an educated guess for that part. I do know what I like, though, so keep up the good work!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Ditto...ditto....ditto....and....DITTO!!

Scott, always love when you come to the forums and your wines in general. Even though I've only consumed a small portion of your wines (InZins & a Barbera) that are in my cellar, I've enjoyed every one of them, plus I've tasted many of your wines at woot gatherings. The 04 InZin was certainly better, IMHO, and I think the Barbera in that one may have helped make it that way.

Looking forward to hopefully meeting you in July when I join the insanity of RPM's next Tour.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ddeuddeg

gregorylane wrote:Scott, thanks for taking the time to query us all on the 2007 blend...great of you to do this!

I'm absolutely for the drier blend...one other question: What was the "menthol" bit with the 2006? I don't think I was the only one to sense that, and not sure if that came from the higher RS or if it was the varietal used in the blending. It was definitely off-putting for my palette.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

My palate sensed no menthol whatsoever.

gregorylane

ddeuddeg wrote:My palate sensed no menthol whatsoever.

With all due respect...that is why it is your palate.
Spelling better?

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

ttdesigns

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ttdesigns

As for the sugar content I would like a drier style similar to the 2004. To me it makes versatile.

As for the label I would like to see something new. I would go for a female Super Hero in space standing on an asteroid.

But what ever is chosen I cant wait to try it.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to try the 2004. Fortunately, the bottles of 2006 that I purchased I was able to sell to another wooter who liked them. My wife and I are big fans of zin, and in fact big fans of the Scott Harvey Amodor zin (bought a case at Whole Foods for 20% off recently - woot!). We both found the 2006 Inzinerator to be very disappointing and not pleasant to drink - too sweet.

Thank you for soliciting our input, I hope that you find this message constructive and not overly critical. There were many who very much enjoyed the 2006.

ScottHarveyWines

[quote postid="3706080" user="gregorylane"]Scott, thanks for taking the time to query us all on the 2007 blend...great of you to do this!

What was the "menthol" bit with the 2006? I don't think I was the only one to sense that, and not sure if that came from the higher RS or if it was the varietal used in the blending. It was definitely off-putting for my palette.

One of the blending components had a small amount of pyrazines. Pyrazines are the bell pepper/green tone that is more common in cabernet Sauvignon. In small amounts, as in this blend they come through as a slight menthol character. The menthol character can also come form vineyards planted near eucalyptus trees.

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

I like the superhero theme but I think it should be 1 new design each year. If you use the Chineese Zodiac you have a 12 year cycle to work with although I have trouble finding a good pig based superhero.

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

One of the things I think you asked for was a preference for what 3rd wine should be mixed with the Zin and Syrah. While I enjoy both, I prefer the character of a zin more, so I would like you to consider adding a sangiovese to the mix, since it is related to the zinfandel grape, but with a slightly different taste. A dry one, of course!

Cab is too strong and merlot can be too sweet, even when the quantities are small.

gregorylane

Bezalel wrote:I like the superhero theme but I think it should be 1 new design each year. If you use the Chineese Zodiac you have a 12 year cycle to work with although I have trouble finding a good pig based superhero.

"Spider Pig, Spider Pig...Does whatever a Spider Pig does!"

Homer Simpson

rpm-2012

ScottHarveyWines

mjc613 wrote:One of the things I think you asked for was a preference for what 3rd wine should be mixed with the Zin and Syrah. While I enjoy both, I prefer the character of a zin more, so I would like you to consider adding a sangiovese to the mix, since it is related to the zinfandel grape, but with a slightly different taste. A dry one, of course!

Cab is too strong and merlot can be too sweet, even when the quantities are small.

You're thinking like a winemaker. Sangiovese is a very good choice for the very reasons you give. I'm working on the blend this morning.
Thanks

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ScottHarveyWines wrote:You're thinking like a winemaker. Sangiovese is a very good choice for the very reasons you give. I'm working on the blend this morning.
Thanks

Yes!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

timmyjwoot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages timmyjwoot

Scott thanks so much for coming here to seek input, it's going to make getting our hands on the 2007 inZ even better to know that we might have had a little say in it.

I'll be the one voice of dissent here in saying that I prefer a slightly sweeter Zin. For me, that's what Zin is. I have plenty of options in my cellar for a drier wine if that's appropriate for the occasion. But if I want something bold and untamable, something rugged like the foothills of the Sierras, well that's when I want to get my heritage on and drink some California Zinfandel.

That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever you work your magic on.

Question- I just got tickets for my wife and myself to go to the Grand Zinfandel Tasting at the end of this month in San Francisco. Scott Harvey Wines is listed in the winery list, will you be there yourself? Any chance you might have the 2007 inZ blend w/ you for tasting?

Thanks again, love your blogging addition to the site and appreciate your efforts as a great winemaker.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Bezalel wrote:I like the superhero theme but I think it should be 1 new design each year. If you use the Chineese Zodiac you have a 12 year cycle to work with although I have trouble finding a good pig based superhero.

Did you see the Simpsons Movie?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

ScottHarveyWines

timmyjwoot wrote:Scott thanks so much for coming here to seek input, it's going to make getting our hands on the 2007 inZ even better to know that we might have had a little say in it.

I'll be the one voice of dissent here in saying that I prefer a slightly sweeter Zin. For me, that's what Zin is. I have plenty of options in my cellar for a drier wine if that's appropriate for the occasion. But if I want something bold and untamable, something rugged like the foothills of the Sierras, well that's when I want to get my heritage on and drink some California Zinfandel.

That said, I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever you work your magic on.

Question- I just got tickets for my wife and myself to go to the Grand Zinfandel Tasting at the end of this month in San Francisco. Scott Harvey Wines is listed in the winery list, will you be there yourself? Any chance you might have the 2007 inZ blend w/ you for tasting?

Thanks again, love your blogging addition to the site and appreciate your efforts as a great winemaker.

I think your talking about the ZAP tasting. I was one of the founders of ZAP and support it always. So, we'll be there. The new Inzinerator blend will be bottled on the 20th of January. We'll have it available to taste as a pre release tasting. By coming to ZAP you'll to be one of the first to try the new blend.

timmyjwoot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages timmyjwoot
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I think your talking about the ZAP tasting. I was one of the founders of ZAP and support it always. So, we'll be there. The new Inzinerator blend will be bottled on the 20th of January. We'll have it available to taste as a pre release tasting. By coming to ZAP you'll to be one of the first to try the new blend.

That is exactly what I was referring to, and exactly what I wanted to hear!!! Can't wait to give it a try, and will be sure to report back to wine.woot afterward.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

I'm with the folks prefering a drier version of the "Z". The 2006 reminded me of a so-called Late Harvest Zin, which is more of a dessert wine. I have one that's about 3.25% RS, and in the right time and place it can be very good. For me, the "Z" (can you tell which label I think you should use?) was in an uncomfortable place at 2% RS - too sweet to be just a dry, extracted, fruit-forward red, but not sweet enough to be called a dessert wine. I have one 2006 left, and I bet I will enjoy it more than the first because now I know what to expect.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919