cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
evanssm1 wrote:Cheron,

Evanssm1's Fiancee: I added you on facebook and joined the facebook group!

Thought so, wasn't sure who this strange person was friending me up

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

evanssm1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages evanssm1
cheron98 wrote:Thought so, wasn't sure who this strange person was friending me up

Maybe I'll create my own name so I don't have to use his.

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar
Ohio #2 Wine Tasting (Anyone In?)

MrsEvans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrsEvans
evanssm1 wrote:Maybe I'll create my own name so I don't have to use his.

Oh So I Did! now I'm my own Wooter!!!!!!

cheron98

MrsEvans wrote:Oh So I Did! now I'm my own Wooter!!!!!!

Hooray!

cheron98

So - for those who will be in the area around lunchtime on Saturday (let's say 1pm) - where would you like to go for lunch?

There's a couple of places I have in mind that are really great, so let's pick one of these

Indian - Mirchi, excellent Southern India style, less spicy, more delicious
Italian - Sophia's, recognized in Delta's Sky magazine as a top "hidden treasure" Italian restaurant, October 2009 issue
Mexican - Border Cantina, best Mexican in the area, by far

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
cheron98 wrote:So - for those who will be in the area around lunchtime on Saturday (let's say 1pm) - where would you like to go for lunch?

There's a couple of places I have in mind that are really great, so let's pick one of these

Indian - Mirchi, excellent Southern India style, less spicy, more delicious
Italian - Sophia's, recognized in Delta's Sky magazine as a top "hidden treasure" Italian restaurant, October 2009 issue
Mexican - Border Cantina, best Mexican in the area, by far

I don't think we can check in until 2 or 3 so I suppose we'll drive from the airport directly to the restaurant. KTT, Cesare?

Who is planning on wearing their wine.woot shirts at the tasting? Anyone?

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
Krugsters wrote:I don't think we can check in until 2 or 3 so I suppose we'll drive from the airport directly to the restaurant. KTT, Cesare?

Wow's planning on wearing their wine.woot shirts at the tasting? Anyone?

That sounds fine to me, flying always makes me hungry! We can have lunch, go to the hotel to check in and freshen up before the tasting. We land at 11:30, so could do lunch earlier, but how far a drive is it from DTW?

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

cheron98

kttest wrote:That sounds fine to me, flying always makes me hungry! We can have lunch, go to the hotel to check in and freshen up before the tasting. We land at 11:30, so could do lunch earlier, but how far a drive is it from DTW?

20 minutes to my place. Ish. But I figure you'll be in my area around 12:30, since you LAND at 11:30. Figure on another half hour to get off the plane, grab bags (if any) and get your car. People always forget to add in that time

The hotel you're staying at would very likely let you check in earlier, but it makes sense to want to head back to freshen up after lunch. If you'll have any perishables with you that wouldn't take sitting in a hot car, you can plan to come to my place first to drop things off - all the restaurants are north of my place anyway. And they're all about as long a drive away from my place. Going directly there from the airport, it's probably fastest to get to Sophia's, but without being familiar with the area, I won't put you through that mixing bowl without having someone to follow.

Heck, it's probably just easiest to meet up at my place first anyway.

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
cheron98 wrote:20 minutes to my place. Ish. But I figure you'll be in my area around 12:30, since you LAND at 11:30. Figure on another half hour to get off the plane, grab bags (if any) and get your car. People always forget to add in that time

The hotel you're staying at would very likely let you check in earlier, but it makes sense to want to head back to freshen up after lunch. If you'll have any perishables with you that wouldn't take sitting in a hot car, you can plan to come to my place first to drop things off - all the restaurants are north of my place anyway. And they're all about as long a drive away from my place. Going directly there from the airport, it's probably fastest to get to Sophia's, but without being familiar with the area, I won't put you through that mixing bowl without having someone to follow.

Heck, it's probably just easiest to meet up at my place first anyway.

We'll have a GPS, so finding the place shouldn't be a problem.

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

cheron98

kttest wrote:We'll have a GPS, so finding the place shouldn't be a problem.

You haven't seen the 275/696/96/M5 interchange It confuses GPS machines all the time.

Cesare

quality posts: 1698 Private Messages Cesare
cheron98 wrote:You haven't seen the 275/696/96/M5 interchange It confuses GPS machines all the time.

If we can get around NJ no problem then I'm sure its fine. It can't be any worse than there!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MrsEvans

We would love to meet people for lunch evanssm1 and I. We are driving from Dayton (3.5 hours) so let us know where to meet and we will be along for the ride! Sophia's could be fun or the Mexican place. Let us know.

cheron98

Cesare wrote:If we can get around NJ no problem then I'm sure its fine. It can't be any worse than there!

And then your car winds up in a puddle...

Actually for any of the restaurants, that interchange isn't a big deal - for Sophia's, just keep all the way right (to get on M5 East/South), and for Mirchi, just keep all the way left (to get/stay on 96). It's the middle exits that get confusing (middle-left lane goes to M5 West/North, middle-right lane goes to 696).

cheron98

MrsEvans wrote:We would love to meet people for lunch evanssm1 and I. We are driving from Dayton (3.5 hours) so let us know where to meet and we will be along for the ride! Sophia's could be fun or the Mexican place. Let us know.

*writes down* no... indian... got it

MrsEvans

cheron98 wrote:*writes down* no... indian... got it

I'm confused! Do you know of any brewpubs around Detroit? We might do our own thing for lunch and explore the city more. But who knows its too far away to plan details!

cheron98

MrsEvans wrote:
I'm confused! Do you know of any brewpubs around Detroit? We might do our own thing for lunch and explore the city more. But who knows its too far away to plan details!

Ann Arbor boasts the Ann Arbor Brewing Company in Downtown AA, which is about 45 mins from my place in traffic. And Ann Arbor is much more pleasant than Detroit. U of M is right there in Ann Arbor and has a lovely campus, and since it's a college town, it's a really great place to walk and explore.

I wouldn't recommend going to Downtown D. But that's just me

This is also a possibility for everyone else if y'all want to head there - it's closer to the airport, too.

MrsEvans

cheron98 wrote:Ann Arbor boasts the Ann Arbor Brewing Company in Downtown AA, which is about 45 mins from my place in traffic. And Ann Arbor is much more pleasant than Detroit. U of M is right there in Ann Arbor and has a lovely campus, and since it's a college town, it's a really great place to walk and explore.

I wouldn't recommend going to Downtown D. But that's just me

This is also a possibility for everyone else if y'all want to head there - it's closer to the airport, too.

We actually did some research and found a few breweries we wanted to check out. Royal Oak Brewery and Dark Horse Brewery. So we are going to head to those and just meet up with everyone at your place around 4 or so.

But thanks for the ideas!

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

MrsEvans wrote:I'm confused! Do you know of any brewpubs around Detroit? We might do our own thing for lunch and explore the city more. But who knows its too far away to plan details!

From what I've heard from my colleagues who do business in Detroit, do *not* explore the city (assuming, of course, you value your life).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Krugsters wrote:Who is planning on wearing their wine.woot shirts at the tasting? Anyone?

Wine.woot shirts? Did I miss something?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
ddeuddeg wrote:Wine.woot shirts? Did I miss something?

Might be the Polyphemus shirts. Unless I missed something, too.

cheron98

Corrado wrote:From what I've heard from my colleagues who do business in Detroit, do *not* explore the city (assuming, of course, you value your life).

So true. oppsie would disagree, but she's a really tough cookie. In a small package. Do not underestimate her. Ever.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Wine.woot shirts? Did I miss something?

wine.woot has had two shirts to date - Polyphemus, and the "woot cellars" shirt, which is the beige shirt with the logo from those wooden boxes they gave out with gifts a while back.

Krugsters

cheron98 wrote:wine.woot has had two shirts to date - Polyphemus, and the "woot cellars" shirt, which is the beige shirt with the logo from those wooden boxes they gave out with gifts a while back.

I have the woot cellars beige shirt, as do most of the NYC crew.

I don't think I have any extras but if I find one I'll bring it.

cheron98

Krugsters wrote:I have the woot cellars beige shirt, as do most of the NYC crew.

I don't think I have any extras but if I find one I'll bring it.

I have one, but it's incredibly unflattering on me and so I refuse to wear it. I might frame it someday though.

I'll probably wear Polyphemus if it's not overbearingly hot out.

Krugsters

cheron98 wrote:I have one, but it's incredibly unflattering on me and so I refuse to wear it. I might frame it someday though.

I'll probably wear Polyphemus if it's not overbearingly hot out.

It doesn't look good on me either.

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:So true. oppsie would disagree, but she's a really tough cookie. In a small package. Do not underestimate her. Ever.

This is very true. She'll even go so far as to recommend buying (and ingesting) the most hideous-tasting sushi known to mankind. I need to go back to that thread and find out what the awful stuff was, so I never order it again. And I'll eat just about anything that isn't still moving.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

MrsEvans

Corrado wrote:From what I've heard from my colleagues who do business in Detroit, do *not* explore the city (assuming, of course, you value your life).

We are staying around the outskirts of Detroit. They are in Royal Oak and Marshall. We are really excited to check it out. The best part is that I'm a teacher and the Friday before is the last day with students! I cannot wait!

ddeuddeg

Hey Cat, if you're looking for some relaxation between Vegas and the gathering at your place, the Fenton Winery and Brewery has an interesting-looking Massage Day Out from 2-6PM on the 22nd. Not too far up the road.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Hey Cat, if you're looking for some relaxation between Vegas and the gathering at your place, the Fenton Winery and Brewery has an interesting-looking Massage Day Out from 2-6PM on the 22nd. Not too far up the road.

Eh, it's about an hour away. Not sure it's worth it for a 10 minute massage ;) Besides, I need the weekend between to do cleaning and shopping and prep.

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Eh, it's about an hour away. Not sure it's worth it for a 10 minute massage ;) Besides, I need the weekend between to do cleaning and shopping and prep.

But it looked so close on the map. 10 minute massage? Guess I should have read the fine print.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:But it looked so close on the map. 10 minute massage? Guess I should have read the fine print.

Besides, according to the calendar on the Winery's site, the massage day thing is actually the 15th. So someone's confused.

But yeah, Fenton's a good hour away. There's not really a straight-shot route - you have to take 96 out west to 23 to get north. And that means traffic, too

BTW, TMR has confirmed, and I've updated the first post to reflect that.

ddeuddeg

Any thoughts on staying in the US, instead of going through Canada? I'm sure it would take a bit longer, but how much? SWMBO is starting to get a bit nervous about the amount of wine we have to transport: 5 bottles for you, 3 for crabbyman + who knows what?

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Any thoughts on staying in the US, instead of going through Canada? I'm sure it would take a bit longer, but how much? SWMBO is starting to get a bit nervous about the amount of wine we have to transport: 5 bottles for you, 3 for crabbyman + who knows what?

Timewise, it's only supposed to be about an hour longer, so if you factor in the time spent at the border, especially with it being Memorial Day Weekend, it probably will even out to be about the same amount of car time. Just a little more gas, and some tolls. I totally understand the concern with the quantity of wine.

Although tommy and I did manage to go through the borders with 16 bottles total

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:Timewise, it's only supposed to be about an hour longer, so if you factor in the time spent at the border, especially with it being Memorial Day Weekend, it probably will even out to be about the same amount of car time. Just a little more gas, and some tolls. I totally understand the concern with the quantity of wine.

Although tommy and I did manage to go through the borders with 16 bottles total

So you like wine? Why are you going to Buffalo? Why do you have friends in Buffalo? They like wine too? Where did you meet them?

trucking asshat U.S. customs agents.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

Just a few days left for confirmations... get them in!

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Just a few days left for confirmations... get them in!

We're definitely coming, with a chocolate cheesecake, and your RLL shipments. The more I think about trying to cross the border twice each way during the holiday weekend, the more I think we'll pay for the extra gas and tolls, and stay in the US. Which means we won't be heading through Niagara-on-the-Lake wine country on the way to you, so anyone who needs something from one of those wineries (if any) would want to give me some serious lead time, especially with one weekend out in Vegas.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:We're definitely coming, with a chocolate cheesecake, and your RLL shipments. The more I think about trying to cross the border twice each way during the holiday weekend, the more I think we'll pay for the extra gas and tolls, and stay in the US. Which means we won't be heading through Niagara-on-the-Lake wine country on the way to you, so anyone who needs something from one of those wineries (if any) would want to give me some serious lead time, especially with one weekend out in Vegas.

PM for you, good sir.

cheron98

Attendees and Maybes list updated with responses or lack thereof from the May 1 deadline...

Since there's now tons of space possible, Maybes have until, oh, the week before to decide if you're coming or not. But I'm going to now open this up to my local friends as well who aren't wooters, but enjoy the woot wines I provide them

Lake Michigan Shore wine trail: I'm giving Tabor Hill the final head count just after I get back from Vegas, so I need a yea or nay on that by the 15th. Ish.

evanssm1

quality posts: 3 Private Messages evanssm1
cheron98 wrote:Attendees and Maybes list updated with responses or lack thereof from the May 1 deadline...

Since there's now tons of space possible, Maybes have until, oh, the week before to decide if you're coming or not. But I'm going to now open this up to my local friends as well who aren't wooters, but enjoy the woot wines I provide them

Lake Michigan Shore wine trail: I'm giving Tabor Hill the final head count just after I get back from Vegas, so I need a yea or nay on that by the 15th. Ish.

What happen to everyone? I thought the head count was around 25ish. Oh well everyone else is just going to be missing out.

(13) Woot Woots, (17) Shirt Woots, (10) Wine Woots, (2) Sellout Woot, (10) Kids Woot, (1) Deals Woot.
My Cellar
Ohio #2 Wine Tasting (Anyone In?)

cheron98

evanssm1 wrote:What happen to everyone? I thought the head count was around 25ish. Oh well everyone else is just going to be missing out.

They didn't confirm by the May 1 deadline. So they got shoved to maybes

This is what happens with the bigger events. When they're first announced, everyone is all "OOH OOH I WANNA GO I WANNA GO PUT ME DOWN I'M GONNA GO!" and then as it gets closer, reality sinks in and life gets in the way and people forget and back out. And I can't blame them, since I had to be that way for the RPM tour and the clambake. Stupid life getting in the way. It's just a fact of woot life

CORRADO, however, has no excuse. He's just a bum.