cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tomaste wrote:First thing that my wife was when I mentioned Ann Arbor, MI, was "Ooh! how close is that to Mackinac Island?"

It looks like about a 4-5 hour drive to/from the Detroit area.

It would be a blast to stay at the Grand Hotel for a night or two, and then come up for the wine.

I'll look into it more and see if its within our budget to arrange a trip like this!

Mackinac Island is so pretty. If you want a really great extended trip, my suggestion would be to do 2 days on the island, a day in Mackinaw City, then head west to the Old Mission and Leelanau Peninsulas for the wine trails there, then come on down. Or do them AFTER being here. Either way. It'll be gorgeous up there at the end of May if winter doesn't extend itself. If you're lucky, there'll be an early bloom of the lilacs on the island.

The Grand Hotel is REALLY pricey, and be forewarned that if you do go that route, you will need to be in a shirt, tie, and jacket after 6pm, and she will need to be at LEAST business dress. But it is well worth the experience. You can also just get a day pass to the grounds and have the luncheon buffet for $40 each. Check out this site here for a discount package for admission to the popular attractions on the island, which includes admission to the Grand grounds (making the luncheon buffet $30 each) (yes. it's worth it.).

Also remember: no cars on the island. Period. Except the ambulance. Even the UPS guy has to have his truck ferried over and left at the dock, and unload everything onto a horse drawn cart. I've seen it. It's amusing. Overnight parking is always free at the ferry docks with your paid ticket. Just let them know you're an overnight and they give you a little tag or something for the car.

There's also a great number of inns and hotels and B&Bs on the island, AND there's a cheapy little $50/night or so but very quaint B&B in St. Ignace in the Upper Peninsula, right across from the Arnold Ferry Line dock. But I'll be darned if I can remember the name of it. Plus it means extra ferry tickets if you want 2 days. But still cheaper than on the island.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

tomaste wrote:Looks like you have another woot cellars to add to the list! sparkling!!

http://twitter.com/woot/status/6652342008

Added to the list.

Geez.

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:This is what I get for not following the forums during finals. Add me to the maybe list, I have 2 concerns: being in the country at that point, and driving during memorial day weekend

gotcha.

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos

If it isn't too late, please add me to the maybe list. I'm getting laid off again at the end of the month, so I can't commit for sure yet until I have an idea of my work situation around then.

I have all the Woot Cellars except the Rinfrescante and Humbug, so if I could make it, I could hopefully contribute some if they are still good. I unfortunately don't have a good place to store them, so I need to see how the ones from last year are holding up.

cheron98

Aracos wrote:If it isn't too late, please add me to the maybe list. I'm getting laid off again at the end of the month, so I can't commit for sure yet until I have an idea of my work situation around then.

I have all the Woot Cellars except the Rinfrescante and Humbug, so if I could make it, I could hopefully contribute some if they are still good. I unfortunately don't have a good place to store them, so I need to see how the ones from last year are holding up.

Ironically, those are the only two I don't have multiples of Gotcha down as maybe!

cheron98

attendees list updated.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:attendees list updated.

My biggest challenge in confirming now is that I have no idea what my business travel will dictate. Can I be "confirmed" for two attendees and then retract in the spring if it becomes clear that I can't swing it?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

cheron98

Corrado wrote:My biggest challenge in confirming now is that I have no idea what my business travel will dictate. Can I be "confirmed" for two attendees and then retract in the spring if it becomes clear that I can't swing it?

Absolutely. Just like the RPM tour Then those on the waiting list (confirmed that they can come, but we've run out of room) will be moved up into your spots.

Come March, I'll probably ask for those confirmed to reconfirm to make sure they're still coming and haven't forgotten about this.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:Absolutely. Just like the RPM tour Then those on the waiting list (confirmed that they can come, but we've run out of room) will be moved up into your spots.

Come March, I'll probably ask for those confirmed to reconfirm to make sure they're still coming and haven't forgotten about this.

"Confirm" me then. I have 3+ months to convince SWMBO that 2 days away from the girls with strangers is a GREAT IDEA and my Project Manager that a Memorial Day go-live is just a stupid idea.

Is the 24 "people" including spouses or are you really looking @ 12(ish) wooters + spouses? The tastings I've done pans out to about 15 drinkers being the max for getting a workable sample from a standard bottle (50ml/boozer).

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610

I will confirm on the same basis as Corrado. With my defense still unplanned, I hope to make it, but plans can change

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Corrado wrote:Is the 24 "people" including spouses or are you really looking @ 12(ish) wooters + spouses? The tastings I've done pans out to about 15 drinkers being the max for getting a workable sample from a standard bottle (50ml/boozer).

Given that thought, if the list grows well beyond 15, maybe I should bring a Humbug, so you'll have 2. We'll see.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

ddeuddeg wrote:Given that thought, if the list grows well beyond 15, maybe I should bring a Humbug, so you'll have 2. We'll see.

Assuming I make it, I can bring a Triacipedis, EHP, Toothy, or *maybe* my [next to] last MP.

cheron98

Corrado wrote:"Confirm" me then. I have 3+ months to convince SWMBO that 2 days away from the girls with strangers is a GREAT IDEA and my Project Manager that a Memorial Day go-live is just a stupid idea.

Is the 24 "people" including spouses or are you really looking @ 12(ish) wooters + spouses? The tastings I've done pans out to about 15 drinkers being the max for getting a workable sample from a standard bottle (50ml/boozer).

My house is limited in space. I've tried to get people to go outside but if the weather doesn't cooperate, it doesn't matter. I said 24 based on 1oz pours of each wine, combined with how many people I think can comfortably fit. Sure we can have multiple bottles of most of the wines, but unless there's a miracle, we've only got the one bottle of Rinfrescante.

So it's 24 bodies.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Given that thought, if the list grows well beyond 15, maybe I should bring a Humbug, so you'll have 2. We'll see.

Well, I didn't make it to NYC. So unless I can meet up with loweeel some other time either this week or whenever, or he plans to come to this, I don't have my Humbug since I was collecting it from him. So humbug is needed and appreciated.

cheron98

Corrado wrote:Assuming I make it, I can bring a Triacipedis, EHP, Toothy, or *maybe* my [next to] last MP.

I still have like 6 MPs, so don't worry about that one

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
cheron98 wrote:Well, I didn't make it to NYC. So unless I can meet up with loweeel some other time either this week or whenever, or he plans to come to this, I don't have my Humbug since I was collecting it from him. So humbug is needed and appreciated.

I have one I was planning on drinking soon, but I will save it for the event just in case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:I still have like 6 MPs, so don't worry about that one

watch the HVS? Drink, baby, DRINK!

cheron98

Corrado wrote:watch the HVS? Drink, baby, DRINK!

Yeah yeah I know. Sure could use some help with it

jenludwig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenludwig

confirm me+1, although depending on the work situation we may have to back out. hoping to be able to make it though.

cheron98

jenludwig wrote:confirm me+1, although depending on the work situation we may have to back out. hoping to be able to make it though.

Gotcha

Attendees list updated.

ddeuddeg

tommythecat78 wrote:I have one I was planning on drinking soon, but I will save it for the event just in case.

Go ahead and drink it if you want. I'll be sure to save 2, and I can bring both, if necessary.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

cheron98

Loweeel reminded me today of a place around here that's pretty dang well known for its burgers, so I figured I'd let you all know about it. Perhaps we can wander over there for lunch before the event

http://www.millersbar.com/

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22
cheron98 wrote:Loweeel reminded me today of a place around here that's pretty dang well known for its burgers, so I figured I'd let you all know about it. Perhaps we can wander over there for lunch before the event

http://www.millersbar.com/

I would hate to say how many years it's been since I've been to Millers Bar,but yeah,great burgers.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

cheron98

Think it's about time for a bump

cheron98

Oh, yeah, if you're on Facebook, I've created the event there as part of the DTW wine.woot group (open to all thought). Those of you that I can easily match your names to your usernames, I've already invited you to that event so you should see it. If you did NOT get an invite, then it just means I can't remember your real name (sorry!) or we haven't found each other on Facebook.

tiger7610

quality posts: 15 Private Messages tiger7610

Its really funny that you cant match my name to my username considering that you have my check for the room.

cheron98

tiger7610 wrote:Its really funny that you cant match my name to my username considering that you have my check for the room.

Cashed it already, the bank's got it I don't have you in my friends on facebook though... time to find you!

cheron98

*bump* So the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of heading to the LMS wineries on Sunday. Everyone else up for that? If so, I'd like to start calling them to make sure they can accommodate us, given it's a holiday weekend.

Definitely want to hit Round Barn and Tabor Hill - thinking of ending the day at Tabor Hill since they have a really lovely restaurant there, I just need to call in reservations. Why yes, I did plan this all out in my head this morning on my drive in to work. I'm a freak like that.

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:*bump* So the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of heading to the LMS wineries on Sunday. Everyone else up for that? If so, I'd like to start calling them to make sure they can accommodate us, given it's a holiday weekend.

Definitely want to hit Round Barn and Tabor Hill - thinking of ending the day at Tabor Hill since they have a really lovely restaurant there, I just need to call in reservations. Why yes, I did plan this all out in my head this morning on my drive in to work. I'm a freak like that.

It's not like Detroit is such an arduous drive or anything, but I'm stuck in Buffalo on Friday evening, so by the time we get there on Saturday, we're not going to feel like turning right around and heading home on Sunday, especially since you've already gone to the trouble of planning such a nice day. So we're definitely up for this. Or is it down for this? I'm just too old to keep up.
I don't know the territory at all. Would we be driving back to your place on Sunday night? I'll need to make appropriate plans for accommodations one way or the other.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:It's not like Detroit is such an arduous drive or anything, but I'm stuck in Buffalo on Friday evening, so by the time we get there on Saturday, we're not going to feel like turning right around and heading home on Sunday, especially since you've already gone to the trouble of planning such a nice day. So we're definitely up for this. Or is it down for this? I'm just too old to keep up.
I don't know the territory at all. Would we be driving back to your place on Sunday night? I'll need to make appropriate plans for accommodations one way or the other.

Yeah, head back this way afterwards - it is about a 2.5 hour drive to the LMS area but I have no problem doing the driving. I might even rent a larger vehicle just so there's fewer vehicles out there. Wineries tend to close up around 5pm, which is why I'd like to finish the day at Tabor Hill for dinner, since the restaurant is open considerably later. Monday should be a holiday for most people anyway.

Also figured with doing that on Sunday, anyone who comes out from the Chicago area has the option to just head home afterwards, since we'll be about 2 hours out from Chicago.

Don't have anything planned for Monday, since I'm not sure how many are planning to stay through.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

cheron98 wrote:*bump* So the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of heading to the LMS wineries on Sunday. Everyone else up for that? If so, I'd like to start calling them to make sure they can accommodate us, given it's a holiday weekend.

I'm thinking that getting the missus away for one night is about all I'm gonna be good for. Even though we could technically fly Saturday AM and catch the 10PM out of DTW home Sunday night, rolling in close to 1AM on Monday probably doesn't count as "just one night away from the girls" in her book.

cheron98

Corrado wrote:I'm thinking that getting the missus away for one night is about all I'm gonna be good for. Even though we could technically fly Saturday AM and catch the 10PM out of DTW home Sunday night, rolling in close to 1AM on Monday probably doesn't count as "just one night away from the girls" in her book.

You can always try

ddeuddeg

Corrado wrote:I'm thinking that getting the missus away for one night is about all I'm gonna be good for. Even though we could technically fly Saturday AM and catch the 10PM out of DTW home Sunday night, rolling in close to 1AM on Monday probably doesn't count as "just one night away from the girls" in her book.

Easy for me to say this, since mine are all grown up, but this pretty nearly constitutes proof that you need to get away occasionally.

RyanCianfarani

quality posts: 6 Private Messages RyanCianfarani

Is this event at full capacity already??

CT

cheron98

RyanCianfarani wrote:Is this event at full capacity already??

Not quite - there's a bunch of people on the Maybes, but if you confirm yourself, you jump ahead. Still have 5 spaces available

cheron98

And the rest of you maybes - I'm gonna start sending PMs soon to nag at you to firm up. Cuz I need a headcount of who's interested in heading to the LMS wine trail so I can get reservations set there. Busy weekend for wineries!

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote: Cuz I need a headcount of who's interested in heading to the LMS wine trail so I can get reservations set there.

ddeuddeg + bahwm

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:ddeuddeg + bahwm

Yeah, I kinda got that already

RyanCianfarani

quality posts: 6 Private Messages RyanCianfarani

Any rough estimate on the time? My birthday is May 29th, so I'd have to plan accordingly.

CT

cheron98

RyanCianfarani wrote:Any rough estimate on the time? My birthday is May 29th, so I'd have to plan accordingly.

We usually get things started around 4pm and go til people leave