cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Question: Is 9:30am on Monday morning too early for breakfast? Too late? What time do people need to be at the airport/get on the road?

Bearing in mind Bomber is approx. half hour from the Northville area (I will meet you folks at the hotel to lead/drive you down there), and only approx. 15 minutes from the airport.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Takes me back to the last "pure" World Series, won by the Tigers against the defending champion Cardinals in a stunning comeback from a 3-1 deficit. Mickey Lolich won three complete game victories, including the deciding game(on 2 days rest!) against Bob Gibson, the previous year's MVP. Denny McLain (a 31 game winner that season) had won game 6, also on 2 days rest. What a beautiful series that was! We'll never see the likes of it again, with what they've done to the game. The next year, they started divisional series, then expansion diluted the talent pool, free agency and skyrocketing salaries destroyed much of the loyalty the players once had for their teams, lights were installed at Wrigley, all kinds of things that made the game not quite what it used to be, when it was played in the daytime, on real grass. Still the best game there is, but not quite so wonderful.

Maybe that's what happened to the Tigers - they're still playing like it's the "old days"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:Question: Is 9:30am on Monday morning too early for breakfast? Too late? What time do people need to be at the airport/get on the road?

Bearing in mind Bomber is approx. half hour from the Northville area (I will meet you folks at the hotel to lead you down there), and only approx. 15 minutes from the airport.

That time is OK with me. Can't speak for SWMBO. Personally, I wouldn't mind heading out earlier, but LW is not so much of a morning person. Of course, we don't know yet how much reveling will take place Sunday night.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:Maybe that's what happened to the Tigers - they're still playing like it's the "old days"

Nobody plays like it's the old days. DH, middle relief pitchers, setup pitchers, closers, 4 or 5 days of rest between starts, I could go on and on. I'm not even going to mention performance-enhancing pharmaceuticals. Wait, I just did. Oh well.
Sorry, this is way off topic. I'll cross-post in the Politics thread. Or not.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

It also looks like a gothic D for the Duke Blue Devils the 2010 NCAA basketball champions!

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22

So,anything I can bring for ya'? I have a couple of decanters,could grab a couple of chairs,anything else?

No fresh morels this year,but I did fresh-preserve some(partly cooked,frozen and vacuum sealed). Might be good juicy-Lucy filling. I have been melting cheese over them on cheeseburgers,yummy.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

cheron98

crabbyman22 wrote:So,anything I can bring for ya'? I have a couple of decanters,could grab a couple of chairs,anything else?

No fresh morels this year,but I did fresh-preserve some(partly cooked,frozen and vacuum sealed). Might be good juicy-Lucy filling. I have been melting cheese over them on cheeseburgers,yummy.

Chairs would be helpful, I already have 2 decanters and 2 vinturis, so that should be enough.

mmm morels....

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Safe travels everyone! See you tomorrow!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cheron98

Summer Salad: Prepped
Pinwheels: Prepped
Potato Salad: Done
Tuscan Bean Salad: Done

To do:
Slice up veggies for grilling
Make vat of iced tea
Wait for tommy & +1 to arrive...

ddeuddeg

Chocolate cheesecake made. Check. (This one makes the white chocolate ginger one look like a dwarf.)
Chocolate curls for decoration. Check.
Wine packed and ready. Check.
Clean clothes ready to pack. Check.
Sleep next. Check.
Pulling a nallie. Not tonight. Good night, all.

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit

and ...

on my way. See you all soon. Safe travels. "Wherever you fare, may you fare well".

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

Zoomba77

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zoomba77

For additional outdoor seating (if needed), I'm going to toss my two camping chairs in the car. I also have a Vinturi I could bring if desired.

cheron98

Zoomba77 wrote:For additional outdoor seating (if needed), I'm going to toss my two camping chairs in the car. I also have a Vinturi I could bring if desired.

i got lots of vituris. seating extremely appreciated.

bahwm

T

cheron98 wrote:i got lots of vituris. seating extremely appreciated.

On the road at 9:17. Been driving for an hour. Making good time so far. Although we left later than expected-almost forgot the Humbugr! It is now safely in the trunk.

Sorry,cat. No chairs. Should have gotten that uhaul.

2 bottles of Boss Monster for crabby.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

crabbyman22

I have 4 folding chairs and 2 folding lounge chairs.Should I bring card table chairs too?

Homer(Simpson)

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest

We've arrived!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

cheron98

crabbyman22 wrote:I have 4 folding chairs and 2 folding lounge chairs.Should I bring card table chairs too?

Wow, if it's not too much trouble, please do!

cheron98

kttest wrote:We've arrived!

Hurray!

bahwm

Stopped for lunch at Panera on the Ohio trnpke and got gas. We have at least two more hours to go. Will check in first.

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit

Excellent fun!! Thanks Cheron98!! Can we do this again tomorrow?

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

ddeuddeg

Really good food, nice company, a beautiful day to sit out on the deck and enjoy a nice assortment of wines. Those folks in the regrets column really missed a good one.
Looking forward to touring Michigan wine country today.

crabbyman22

We had a really good time yesterday,it was great meeting all of you.Thanks for all of your hard work setting everything up,Cat.Wonderful job,great food and wine.dd,the cheesecake was excellent.

Hope you are all having fun today.

Homer(Simpson)

kttest

Fun day checking out some Michigan wineries, but boy was it hot! Finished off the day with an awesome dinner at Tabor Hill Winery & Restaurant. Kudos to Cheron on an excellent choice!

- Krista

cheron98

Thank you all for coming out here this weekend! I hope you all found it to be an Awesome Retreat like I did, although I must admit, I'm beat and ready for a quiet evening Spread the word about how pretty it is out here, and how there's nothing to fear about "Detroit". Or Michigan wines

Now to start thinking up an idea for next year...

cheron98

Oh yes, congratulations to our winners!

Bean bag race:
1st place: Zoomba
2nd place: tommy
3rd place: crusaderRabbit
Honorable mentions: ddeuddeg

Door prize: silvia

Monkey prize: silvia

Silent auction:
Polyphemus: tommy
EHP: Zoomba

Fun time:
Everyone!

Thank you to ddeuddeg for the cheesecake, the Evans' for the bread bowl and dip, crabbyman for the morels, and WD for being the ultimate enabler of this.

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

How about help Sparky drink through his wine locker?

cheron98 wrote:Thank you all for coming out here this weekend! I hope you all found it to be an Awesome Retreat like I did, although I must admit, I'm beat and ready for a quiet evening Spread the word about how pretty it is out here, and how there's nothing to fear about "Detroit". Or Michigan wines

Now to start thinking up an idea for next year...

kttest

Well we made it back home, luckily the thunderstorms didn't cause any delays. We got to the aiport early and had a lovely lunch at Vino Volo. We tasted some wines and their food was really good.

It was great to meet some Michigan & Chicago wooters as well as see some familiar faces again! Cheron really does have a lovely home and she did a wonderful job setting everyting up for us, so thank you! We had a great time and hope to see you all again!

- Krista

bahwm

Cat, thank you so much for a wonderful weekend and for all the work that you did to make this whole thing work. It was fun tasting the Woot Cellars wines side by side and seeing how they are changing.

We found a few nice Michigan wines. Thank you for driving us around yesterday. It was nice to see some old friends and meet some new wooters.

We got home about 7:50 PM after making the detour to do the wine exchange--nothing shady about that: meeting two guys in an empty parking lot next to a closed bar in downtown Cleveland and handing off wine and $$. Nice to meet another wooter though--this time it was PghRiverRat.

We had to drive through part of the nasty thunderstorm for about 20 minutes or so, but the rest of the drive was decent. We stopped for dinner and then, for some custard at a place not far from home. I am beat. It will be early to bed tonight!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Once again, had a blast in "Detroit" thanks to Cat and all the other wooters who joined in the festivities. Thanks again for letting Silvia and I stay and for rigging the door prize and raffle for her birthday. We both had a great time and look forward to the next one. It was also great meeting some new wooters!

The drive home was a little better than the drive out as we were able to find an alternate to the 30 mile backup on I-94.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

Quick recap, from memory, others please post corrections:

The gathering was awesome. Here's some notes on how things are still holding up (in order of trying) along with how the evening went:

Reboot - Better now than it was for New Year's. Still a little awkward, but better. Had with appetizers, approx. 6pm

Triacipedis - Still going well. Served quite chilled, has a richer mouthfeel to it now than I remember. I think the Chardonnay is making its presence known now. Had with appetizers/salad, 6:30pm

-- Break for Bean Bag races, and burger cooking --

Rinfrescante - We are all extremely sad there is no more. We are all extremely sad we weren't around for this one. Holding up really nicely, definitely getting "age" on it, but still a good amount of fruit left. Really glad I got to try this one. Enjoyed with burgers and grilled stuffs, approx. 7:30pm.

Monkey Prize - Also holding up nicely. Still got a few years left in it, methinks, but is drinking nicely now. It's at the pop-and-pour state now. 7:45pm

-- Monkey Prize $1 raffle drawing --

Humbug! - I still don't really care for this one. It's just awkward to me. Better now than it was, for sure, but still... weird. Others seem to think it's doing fine though. 8pm.

Polyphemus - At prime, right now. Gonna start fading soon. Still tasty, but I'd say there's about another year on it before starting to see it go down. 8:15pm

Toothstejnn - Awesome. Also at pop-and-pour phase, no aerating required. Still solid. 8:30pm

EHP - Still one of the favorites. Still requires a touch of air time to drink. Still going strong. 8:45pm

-- Door prize drawing --

Boss Monster - Still the Boss. Still a Monster. Put this in the decanter before lunch, 8.5 hours later we finally got around to drinking it, and it STILL went through the Vinturi. This is a BEAST, and so, so tasty. That PS in there is REALLY holding it up. 9:15pm

Adequate Gift - Ok, by this point in the evening, I was beaten and tired. We had an aggressive schedule going here to get through everything without getting palate fatigue, but I think mine was going by the time this came around. We fixed that by serving dessert (rich chocolate cheesecake) with this, about 9:30. Awesome pairing. Wine's doing well - should've run it through the Vinturi though.

CyberPub Cellars Publend - people were saying this was the favorite then again, I think palates were shot, so we could all just be crazy. 10:00pm

10:30pm was the Silent Auction closing, and folks dispersed around 11pm.

Fun, fun evening.

kttest

It was great to taste all the Woot Cellars side by side. I definitely agree about the Reboot and Poly. What I noticed about the Monkey Prize and Humbug was that the fruit had started to fade and there is definitely a lot of oak coming through that wasn't there the last time I had them.

In addition, the Cyberpub Blend was good and definitely seems as though it has some great potential! I hope I get to try it again in a year or 2.

- Krista

tommythecat78

kttest wrote:It was great to taste all the Woot Cellars side by side. I definitely agree about the Reboot and Poly. What I noticed about the Monkey Prize and Humbug was that the fruit had started to fade and there is definitely a lot of oak coming through that wasn't there the last time I had them.

In addition, the Cyberpub Blend was good and definitely seems as though it has some great potential! I hope I get to try it again in a year or 2.

Not to mention we got to try Another Ridiculous wine at the gathering.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

kttest

tommythecat78 wrote:Not to mention we got to try Another Ridiculous wine at the gathering.

Yes and what an Amazing Ride it was!

- Krista

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tommythecat78 wrote:Not to mention we got to try Another Ridiculous wine at the gathering.

So the new Woot Cellars wine has the initials AR?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm

kttest wrote:Yes and what an Amazing Ride it was!

How Awesomely Real it was especially with the chocolate cheese!

Cesare

quality posts: 1643 Private Messages Cesare

Let's just call it a white elephant. Astonishingly Refreshing!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

Absolutely Rewarding on all counts. Thanks to everyone for an amazing weekend not soon forgotten.

ddeuddeg

tommythecat78 wrote: Thanks again for letting Silvia and I stay and for rigging the door prize and raffle for her birthday.

Cat's a truly awesome hostess, isn't she? She even posted an honorable mention for me in the beanbag race, instead of calling it last place. Kind of an Altered Reality, actually.

ddeuddeg

kttest wrote:In addition, the Cyberpub Blend was good and definitely seems as though it has some great potential! I hope I get to try it again in a year or 2.

Duly noted. A test of my Amazing Recollective powers.

tommythecat78

ddeuddeg wrote:Cat's a truly awesome hostess, isn't she? She even posted an honorable mention for me in the beanbag race, instead of calling it last place. Kind of an Altered Reality, actually.

At least there wasn't an Apparent Removal of your name from the list.