MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
javadrinker wrote:I wish. All small stuff but yeah I'm getting greedy:

• Travel book from Frommers
  • Tickets to Lucha Va Voom (a wrassling show)
  • Free meal and entrance to Lobsterfest
  • Tickets to the Queen Mary
  • Tickets to a museum
  • Guitar Hero game for Wii (which I don't own)
  • Shiny new LB baseball cap

I need more stuff though.

Maybe we should buy a Wii together and share custody. I got a Xmas gift last year of a Wii game .... Soulcaliber, IIRC.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

And now everyone needs to send a congrats over to Cesare, since he just won a trip to Hawaii. Hey C, if you can't get time off to go, let me know and I'll take that trip off your hands.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:And now everyone needs to send a congrats over to Cesare, since he just won a trip to Hawaii. Hey C, if you can't get time off to go, let me know and I'll take that trip off your hands.

Just a bit late to the party dude!!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
MarkDaSpark wrote:Maybe we should buy a Wii together and share custody. I got a Xmas gift last year of a Wii game .... Soulcaliber, IIRC.

Too late...I already promised it as a birthday gift for my niece...the birthday gift I actually should have bought in March.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:We could do that ....

That would be fun

I'm there til Sunday. Why on earth would I head back on a Friday? Silly Sparky.

Planning on San Diego on Thursday, so if the group in that area would like to do dinner, that'd be cool. I get in to Newport Beach pretty early on Wednesday, I haven't decided if I want to go through the hassle of cancelling the hotel for that night and just go directly down to SD and stay the one night there.

Because for some reason I can't view my res online anymore. Possibly because my club member status went up a level since making the reservation. So. Yeah.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
javadrinker wrote:Might be too soon to get one going since we just had one last week and it was a very small one (just 5 of us). Plus the MW clan I believe is pretty much tied up all October. We can possibly have something small at my house in Orange County but it might be hard for the SD crowd to come up on such short notice (plus I'd only have a couple of days to clean after my return from Vegas).

Bah.

See previous post for SD-locals.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Cesare - Congrats. Kauai was our favorite island. There about 14 years ago now. Long way to travel, but what a great area. Not too touristy and just beautiful. We stayed up on the north end of the island, at the Sheraton Princeville, near Hanalai bay of Puff the Magic Dragon fame.

Enjoy.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
javadrinker wrote:You guys stop in So Cal and we will MAKE another So Cal gathering. Madwine has been looking for an excuse to host again.

Once you have the days sorted out let us know and it will be done.

Edit: BTW, looks like you guys got the Kauai trip. That one seems the best of the three.

This would totally make up for us not going to Vegas

I always wanted to go to Kauai, I've even mentioned it to Cesare recently. I've been to Oahu and Maui, but never Kauai...I still don't believe it!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Doh!! Keep forgetting that part. Should have rememebered, since one of my favorite set of books is the Prey series by John Sandford.

I'm a John Sanford fan as well

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

polarbear22

darlenee1 wrote:I'm a John Sanford fan as well

Me too. First book, I am reading the beginning, and all of sudden -- "He's at Midway at University and Snelling." His stories are set in my first stomping grounds.

I am also a Vince Flynn fan. Good stories, and he graduated from my college.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
polarbear22 wrote:Me too. First book, I am reading the beginning, and all of sudden -- "He's at Midway at University and Snelling." His stories are set in my first stomping grounds.

I am also a Vince Flynn fan. Good stories, and he graduated from my college.

Have not read Flynn. I'll have to check him out. However, I am currently up to my ears in books for school, so should probably;y put recreational reading on hold. The books for my lit class are all pretty easy reads thus far, which is a plus!

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Anything of interest while I was gone? I think my head's going to asplode with all the info I just packed into it.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Anything of interest while I was gone? I think my head's going to asplode with all the info I just packed into it.

No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry' Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape... after I kill Count Rugen.

Basically, Wine.woot has gone to 3x a week now, labrats only on Monday offer. Current new (Wednesday) offer is up now til Friday. Monday offer is now available all week, but after Wednesday, is on a separate page (see the sidebar).

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Piece of Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) web filter denies cinderella wine under the category of game playing.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

Crickets

MarkDaSpark

More Crickets

Edit: Funny part is that the dancing banana, carrot, & pepper are all in time with it.

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY
MarkDaSpark wrote:More Crickets

Edit: Funny part is that the dancing banana, carrot, & pepper are all in time with it.

OOO, they are! How funny!

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

MarkDaSpark

NonnaWY wrote:OOO, they are! How funny!

Thanks. Although it looks like the banana is on speed and off key from the rest .....

And no updates from J-Dub or Bowtie this morning? Are they in mourning from baseball?

otolith

Ohhhhhh, one more purchase and I'm back in black....better make it a good one.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Ohhhhhh, one more purchase and I'm back in black....better make it a good one.

Gee, whatever could you get? Perhaps the new offer tonight?

HitAnyKey42

MarkDaSpark wrote:Gee, whatever could you get? Perhaps the new offer tonight?

So do you have any insider info that you know tonight is going to be a "good one"?

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

Looking for suggestions. We are having roast duck with orange sauce (duck a la orange) tomorrow night. Anyone with recommendations for a wine pairing?

I am thinking that a Cabernet or Cab based blend would be good, but not sure if there are better matches.

Mainly looking for some direction on varietal, but this is our anniversary, so anything in the cellar is fair game for anyone that wants to browse.

My Cellar

polarbear22

Also, we opened our last bottle of Humbug last night. Really enjoyed it. I suspect it is near peak, as it does not taste much different from the penultimate bottle six months ago. But it has not started to decline.

Sad to see the last one go. But the only way I wouldn't be sad is if I kept the last one too long and it was no longer good.

My Cellar

kttest

polarbear22 wrote:Looking for suggestions. We are having roast duck with orange sauce (duck a la orange) tomorrow night. Anyone with recommendations for a wine pairing?

I am thinking that a Cabernet or Cab based blend would be good, but not sure if there are better matches.

Mainly looking for some direction on varietal, but this is our anniversary, so anything in the cellar is fair game for anyone that wants to browse.

We had a burgundy, can't recall which one, with Duck this past Sunday and it went great with it.

- Krista

otolith

kttest wrote:We had a burgundy, can't recall which one, with Duck this past Sunday and it went great with it.

That's what I was thinking. More of an old world, earthen wine to go along with the duck. For some reason I think the fat in the duck would be too much with the cab.

--John Muir

Cesare

quality posts: 1614 Private Messages Cesare
polarbear22 wrote:Looking for suggestions. We are having roast duck with orange sauce (duck a la orange) tomorrow night. Anyone with recommendations for a wine pairing?

Yeah cab is completely wrong for this. Old world type pinot is the only way to go.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:So do you have any insider info that you know tonight is going to be a "good one"?

Sure. Don't you know that WD consults with me on every wine offer?

No, but it will probably be good, as long as it's not a refurb

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Happy Anniversary man!!!!

Yeah, as others have said, PN sounds like a good match (not that I've had much duck in my life). Maybe open your Buena Vista Ramal PN so you can tell me how it's doing. I loved that PN.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

kttest

javadrinker wrote:Happy Anniversary man!!!!

Totally missed that this was an anniversary dinner! Happy Anniversary!

- Krista

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
polarbear22 wrote:roast duck with orange sauce (duck a la orange)

Pinot or Claret, if you have to do red.

That duck combo is probably better served with Riesling (Johannesburg Riesling if its a Cali) or Gewurztraminer. Both dry and sharp at cutting through the fat. Both fruity enough to bring out the orange. Both perfumey enough to take off that bit of blood smell that is common to duck. The Gewurztraminer is more Euro as a pairing. A bit heavier than a NY state dry Riesling.

polarbear22

Lighter wrote:Pinot or Claret, if you have to do red.

That duck combo is probably better served with Riesling (Johannesburg Riesling if its a Cali) or Gewurztraminer. Both dry and sharp at cutting through the fat. Both fruity enough to bring out the orange. Both perfumey enough to take off that bit of blood smell that is common to duck. The Gewurztraminer is more Euro as a pairing. A bit heavier than a NY state dry Riesling.

Thanks to all for the comments.

I did one search that recommended a Bordeaux with roast duck, so went with the old world, but not the Burgundy (Pinot) that you are recommending for red. Duck with fruit, they recommend Viognier, Gewurtz or Pinot.

So I may have to wait and make a call based on how it smells. Lighter gaves me some guidelines that I can apply.

My Cellar

polarbear22

javadrinker wrote:Happy Anniversary man!!!!

Yeah, as others have said, PN sounds like a good match (not that I've had much duck in my life). Maybe open your Buena Vista Ramal PN so you can tell me how it's doing. I loved that PN.

THanks. This is my second Buena Vista. I found this in FL when I was there in August and made my daughter drive it back. I loved that Pinot as well. I found a place in MA that carries Buena Vista, but only the lower price line. I keep suggesting that they get the Ramal Vineyard.

My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks. Although it looks like the banana is on speed and off key from the rest .....

And no updates from J-Dub or Bowtie this morning? Are they in mourning from baseball?

The only thing I could care less about than baseball is...well I can't think of anything right now. I have been on a field trip all day. It sucked and was cold

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:The only thing I could care less about than baseball is...well I can't think of anything right now. I have been on a field trip all day. It sucked and was cold

Did you at least have your Electric Socks on?

HitAnyKey42

So tonight was quite yummy. I wanted to cook up the Kielbasa I bought the other day, so cooked that up with onion, sweet green pepper (from my dad's garden), red pepper, & mushrooms over egg noodles. Paired it with a fabulous '04 Wellington Zin and with some P'Tit Basque cheese...both before and after dinner.
The P'Tit is a great pairing with Peter's Zin, even though 'they' recommend Bordeaux with it. I is a happy Eric tonight. MmmMMmmMMMmM!!!!!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

How can it be almost Friday???

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:How can it be almost Friday???

Well see, first there was Sunday, but that ended, and along came Monday, and thankfully that didn't take too long. Tuesday roared in like the wind over the frozen tundra (I can vouch for this as I was out in it the whole damn day). Wednesday decided to be a little nicer than Tuesday (mainly cause I was office bound). Then Thursday decided it hated me and was cold and rainy. I decided Thursday could go fire Rocket Number 9 itself, and in 45 minutes I will bid it adieu, which leads us to......FRIDAY.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

tommythecat78

bhodilee wrote:Well see, first there was Sunday, but that ended, and along came Monday, and thankfully that didn't take too long. Tuesday roared in like the wind over the frozen tundra (I can vouch for this as I was out in it the whole damn day). Wednesday decided to be a little nicer than Tuesday (mainly cause I was office bound). Then Thursday decided it hated me and was cold and rainy. I decided Thursday could go fire Rocket Number 9 itself, and in 45 minutes I will bid it adieu, which leads us to......FRIDAY.

This post is very Douglas Adams.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

bhodilee

tommythecat78 wrote:This post is very Douglas Adams.

who is Douglas Adams?

tommythecat78

bhodilee wrote:who is Douglas Adams?

Douglas Adams