MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 182 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
eric9tx wrote:My thoughts on the matter: "I like the simplicity of “Ty’s Red”, but “Ty’s Field Blend Red” rolls off the tongue easily (and might be more obvious/recognizable to the average consumer). “Red Field Blend”… bleh."

Yea, I like "Ty's Field Blend Red" better. Ty's Red just sounds ... plain.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
MarkDaSpark wrote:Yea, I like "Ty's Field Blend Red" better. Ty's Red just sounds ... plain.

I should say that I like both, but it depends entirely on the label. I also think I've been spoiled by Woot Cellars sense of humor.

Red Ty's Field Blend probably is a little too silly.

greenfields

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenfields
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Hi there, wine.wooter -

But Winedavid39, how does the new schedule impact the Labrat program?

Labrat program will apply to Monday deals only. I repeat: Labrat program will apply to Monday deals only.

Does anyone else read this as "there are going to be less wine only offers and more wine-related offers"? The lab rat program was the reason many people on the fence decided whether or not to go in.

From my own perspective, getting rid of the program for the following two offers either means that the offer will be wine-related and therefore not needing lab rats or it will be from an established winery that the long-standing wine.woot members will pump up on the boards and people will buy regardless of not having a lab rat.

MarkDaSpark

Cesare wrote:Already posted in the main thread. So the deals will be M W F. Labrats only on Monday. And the birthday coupons are renewed.

Wonder if they will change it to the person who actually suggested it first (not me, but someone we know and love .. from a distance)? hmmmmm ....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

greenfields wrote:Does anyone else read this as "there are going to be less wine only offers and more wine-related offers"? The lab rat program was the reason many people on the fence decided whether or not to go in.

From my own perspective, getting rid of the program for the following two offers either means that the offer will be wine-related and therefore not needing lab rats or it will be from an established winery that the long-standing wine.woot members will pump up on the boards and people will buy regardless of not having a lab rat.

Sounds like the latter, since they said they wanted to go more towards the wine a day eventually.

Also,

We like this rhythm because it still gives you world famous Wine.Woot forumites two whole days to assess, research, comment, argue, espouse, and challenge both the wine and the winemaker or proprietor who we famously invite into our forums for each deal.

They indicate wine in that paragraph. So one of the 3 deals may be wine related, but it sounds like at least 2 will always be wine.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:They indicate wine in that paragraph. So one of the 3 deals may be wine related, but it sounds like at least 2 will always be wine.

I totally don't like the idea of the 2-day wine offering with no rats and limited time for discussion. That's the primary reason I (we) buy through wine.woot. Well, the $5 shipping is another biggie...and probably the true primary reason. But still, the diminishing of the interaction with the winemakers, labrats, etc, etc will make me much less likely to buy during the later week offerings. Hmmm, wait. Maybe that's a good thing for me. Since I need to cut back on buying...something I never seem to be able to do.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I totally don't like the idea of the 2-day wine offering with no rats and limited time for discussion. That's the primary reason I (we) buy through wine.woot. Well, the $5 shipping is another biggie...and probably the true primary reason. But still, the diminishing of the interaction with the winemakers, labrats, etc, etc will make me much less likely to buy during the later week offerings. Hmmm, wait. Maybe that's a good thing for me. Since I need to cut back on buying...something I never seem to be able to do.

Maybe, but as greenfields thought, the two on the backend may be wineries we know (and love), so there may not be as big a need for labrats on those.

It will be interesting.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I totally don't like the idea of the 2-day wine offering with no rats and limited time for discussion. That's the primary reason I (we) buy through wine.woot. Well, the $5 shipping is another biggie...and probably the true primary reason. But still, the diminishing of the interaction with the winemakers, labrats, etc, etc will make me much less likely to buy during the later week offerings. Hmmm, wait. Maybe that's a good thing for me. Since I need to cut back on buying...something I never seem to be able to do.

How often do you (personally) really wait for labrat reports before buying though?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

Yup!

cheron98 wrote:How often do you (personally) really wait for labrat reports before buying though?

Honest? Rarely. (hoping WD doesn't read my posts, which is a pretty good bet)

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
eric9tx wrote:Honest? Rarely. (hoping WD doesn't read my posts, which is a pretty good bet)

When I first started at w.w I actually waited pretty regularly. Now I mainly don't but only because there's so many repeat wineries. If they're varietals I'm interested in and I haven't had anything by them, then I still wait for some confirmation in either rat or pub form and even when I am in, I'm still interested in what the rats had to say.

CT

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
eric9tx wrote:My thoughts on the matter: "I like the simplicity of “Ty’s Red”, but “Ty’s Field Blend Red” rolls off the tongue easily (and might be more obvious/recognizable to the average consumer). “Red Field Blend”… bleh."

I like Ty's Field Blend Red the best as it is almost lyrical plus it has the all important "field blend" in the name. That's fairly unique and adds charm to the wine because of how it was made (if it truly is a field blend that is).

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
eric9tx wrote:Honest? Rarely. (hoping WD doesn't read my posts, which is a pretty good bet)

Interestingly, I've used the Rat reports to talk me out of making some purchases that would probably have been a mistake for me. If I'm on the fence, it's normally because it's a wine I'm unfamiliar with, or a blend of varietals I like with ones I'm not too fond of. I use the reports to tip me one way or the other. If the report confirms that the flavor profile is not one that I like, then I've saved my money and can buy more later.

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 7 Private Messages LoonBoarder
cjsiege wrote:Interestingly, I've used the Rat reports to talk me out of making some purchases that would probably have been a mistake for me. If I'm on the fence, it's normally because it's a wine I'm unfamiliar with, or a blend of varietals I like with ones I'm not too fond of. I use the reports to tip me one way or the other. If the report confirms that the flavor profile is not one that I like, then I've saved my money and can buy more later.

This.

Dude... wait, what?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:Got a new invoice via email for the new total.

I did a couple hours later. Got another bottle of Hayne PS.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

polarbear22

greenfields wrote:Does anyone else read this as "there are going to be less wine only offers and more wine-related offers"? The lab rat program was the reason many people on the fence decided whether or not to go in.

Or that the labrat program is getting a little expensive.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

Cesare

quality posts: 1626 Private Messages Cesare

Man the Twins/Tigers are really dragging this out. 4-4 in the 10th, now 5-5 in the 11th. That's ok, play 15 innings for all I care. Be nice and tired for tomorrow! :P

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

Cesare wrote:Man the Twins/Tigers are really dragging this out. 4-4 in the 10th, now 5-5 in the 11th. That's ok, play 15 innings for all I care. Be nice and tired for tomorrow! :P

Okay, why do the Twins have a red "C" with the T on their hats?? I never noticed it before.

Edit: And did anyone else think of the Tatto sleeves from The Big Bang Theory last night when seeing Inge at the plate for the Tigers?

polarbear22

Cesare wrote:Man the Twins/Tigers are really dragging this out. 4-4 in the 10th, now 5-5 in the 11th. That's ok, play 15 innings for all I care. Be nice and tired for tomorrow! :P

Damn Yankees. (Those two words just go together.)

And man, what a game. I figured it would be over when I got back from my ride, and when I checked, it was top of the 8th. Vikings last night and now a Twins game. I need some sleep.

My Cellar

Cesare

polarbear22 wrote:Damn Yankees. (Those two words just go together.)

And man, what a game. I figured it would be over when I got back from my ride, and when I checked, it was top of the 8th. Vikings last night and now a Twins game. I need some sleep.

Now you can sleep. Bring on the Twins!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:How often do you (personally) really wait for labrat reports before buying though?

Well, so far this year....I haven't. But look at my sig. They're pretty much ALL wineries I've bought from before and love. Only one I hadn't was Roessler, and I'd heard plenty about them from previous offerings.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
Imagine4vr wrote:I have to say one of the things I miss most about Chicago is the tap water. The water here is awful I won't even cook without filtering the water first.

It isn't as good as it used to be tho. I find it way chemically than the past.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

I barely wait to read the boards. I pretty much decide within moments of seeing the offer if I will buy or not.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, why do the Twins have a red "C" with the T on their hats?? I never noticed it before.

Edit: And did anyone else think of the Tatto sleeves from The Big Bang Theory last night when seeing Inge at the plate for the Tigers?

Well, I thought of you when I saw those sleeves on TBBT.......

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

MarkDaSpark

NonnaWY wrote:Well, I thought of you when I saw those sleeves on TBBT.......

Although, now that you mention it ......

MarkDaSpark

I'm sorry, but $99 for one bottle is not a low price. Cinderella wine is a big Fail IMO .... almost $300 for free shipping?

HitAnyKey42

MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm sorry, but $99 for one bottle is not a low price. Cinderella wine is a big Fail IMO .... almost $300 for free shipping?

Actually, they still haven't gotten their code to force you to buy the 3 bottles. You get the free shipping even on 1 bottle still.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Cesare

MarkDaSpark wrote:I'm sorry, but $99 for one bottle is not a low price. Cinderella wine is a big Fail IMO .... almost $300 for free shipping?

Why is it a big fail? CT avg value is $170. And you can get free shipping on just one.
More importantly, your clue begging puppy is requested in the main thread!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

MarkDaSpark

Cesare wrote:Why is it a big fail? CT avg value is $170. And you can get free shipping on just one.
More importantly, your clue begging puppy is requested in the main thread!

Cause I don't know if I'd want to waste it on you at that price ...

greenfields

quality posts: 1 Private Messages greenfields

Or I guess the third option of smaller production wineries where they can't offer as many bottles...

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Wow, Pedroncelli is serious about moving their juice. Now they're on Winespies (although it's the Cab this time).

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

So where do we go to get some of the Boss Monster zin? Or did it sell out? please no!!

MarkDaSpark

speedoo wrote:So where do we go to get some of the Boss Monster zin? Or did it sell out? please no!!

It's at http://wine.woot.com/Monday/

Edit: I see you found it ...

Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 0m 1.767s
Last wooter to woot: speedoo
Last purchase time: Wednesday, October 07, 2009, 2:01:24 AM Central Time

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, why do the Twins have a red "C" with the T on their hats?? I never noticed it before.

Twin Cities - Saint Paul and Minneapolis. The TC is the old logo, they went to an M for the logo for a while.

My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

I may never be warm again. Sitting at the golf course yesterday was very chilly. Weird thing was I didn't feel really cold until AFTER I got home. It's like my body just adjusted and only when I started to warm up did I realize how cold I really was. I shivered all damn night and I'm STILL cold! God bless drunk engineers with company cards and the girl in the beer cart though. I didn't pay for Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
polarbear22 wrote:Twin Cities - Saint Paul and Minneapolis. The TC is the old logo, they went to an M for the logo for a while.

I just want to thank you for turning me on to Playing for Change . I just found their tour info and bought tix to see them next month.

Truly inspirational and entertaining!

Moondragon

bhodilee wrote:I may never be warm again. ... I shivered all damn night and I'm STILL cold!

Need some electric socks or how about some soggy socks?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

I suspect we will see more non-wine offers, but we'll also see more "small" offers (as in very limited quantities). I also expect to see more of the "tail" offers, those that are either way more expensive than the "norm" or those that are way less expensive than the norm.

Lack of lab ratting will not really hurt any of these scenarios, IMO. Especially if you combine any two of these: low quantity and high price is going to find enough buyers to satisfy the available supply without labratting, and may struggle to sell more even with labratting due to price.

CT | | | | | |

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit

My expectations, imho, is that the Monday wine will be the big one, with LaBrats, rantings, et al. W & F offerings will be smaller volume, lesser known, "I need to get my name out" wineries. Possibly some interesting finds. Plus, having some wine related offerings, cheeses, toffees, etc without spoiling our beloved wine temptations. The first week, or three, may have some lovely offerings just to tempt and soothe the savage beasts here. The possibilities are exciting, I'm ready to see what the imaginations of WD can produce.

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
crusaderRabbit wrote:The possibilities are exciting, I'm ready to see what the imaginations of WD can produce.

His imagination scares me. He always finds stuff I want.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Moondragon

cheron98 wrote:His imagination scares me. He always finds stuff I want.

Psst. Cheron...

Moondragon wrote:(the rest of my labrat report...)