kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
LoonBoarder wrote:OK, guilty pleasure admission time. Watching Two and a Half Men last night with DW, there was a scene where one of the characters poured a couple glasses of wine. I swear the label on one of the bottles was Monkey Prize. If I can get a screen cap I'll post it. Can anyone confirm?

I watched it as well, but didn't pay attention to the bottle? hmm, if Cesare didn't erase it yet....

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

LoonBoarder

quality posts: 6 Private Messages LoonBoarder
kttest wrote:I watched it as well, but didn't pay attention to the bottle? hmm, if Cesare didn't erase it yet....

Not the one she (the baby's grandmother) was pouring, but on the table behind her...

Dude... wait, what?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
LoonBoarder wrote:OK, guilty pleasure admission time. Watching Two and a Half Men last night with DW, there was a scene where one of the characters poured a couple glasses of wine. I swear the label on one of the bottles was Monkey Prize. If I can get a screen cap I'll post it. Can anyone confirm?

It could've been Monkey Bay. That one gets me in stores all the time, it's so similar.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
LoonBoarder wrote:Not the one she (the baby's grandmother) was pouring, but on the table behind her...

Nope. One was a Champagne bottle (the one with white leaves/flowers on it with a pink cap) and the other had a label that looked like an anteater (or other 4 legged animal).

DVR is wonderful!!!

Edit: Not anteater. But thick bodied animal like a boar or buffalo. Gold cap.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
cheron98 wrote:It could've been Monkey Bay. That one gets me in stores all the time, it's so similar.

Nope, neither of them 8:17 into the episode

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
cjsiege wrote:Nope, neither of them 8:17 into the episode

*giggles* I watch stuff on the CBS website all the time and it didn't even occur to me to look there!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

I declare CJ the geek-prize winner of the day. (Nice work!)

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

Oh,yeah, clearly not.

cheron98

Just for you, Loon

(I forgot how fun that thread is/was!)

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
jwhite6114 wrote:I declare CJ the geek-prize winner of the day. (Nice work!)

Good to know I got something done today! (At home with allergies. Bleh!)

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
lauratchi wrote:There is some place in Vegas that, allegedly supposedly brings in NYC water for their pizza crust, claiming that is THE ingredient that makes NYC pizza so allegedly supposedly awesome.

The water is not an "alledgedly" thing. I can pretty much attest to the fact that NOWHERE can ANYONE make pizza like NY pizza, even if they were a NY pizza maker and continues with all the same methodologies and ingredients. They also need the NY water, and this is not the first time I've heard of places importing NY water for making their pizza. Same thing with bagels.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:The water is not an "alledgedly" thing. I can pretty much attest to the fact that NOWHERE can ANYONE make pizza like NY pizza, even if they were a NY pizza maker and continues with all the same methodologies and ingredients. They also need the NY water, and this is not the first time I've heard of places importing NY water for making their pizza. Same thing with bagels.

Food Network's Food Detectives did a side-by-side comparison thing using a NY pizza maker, creating three identical pizzas except for the water used. NY water, San Francisco water, and I think Chicago water. There was a panel of 4 tasting blindly and all 4 chose the NY water pizza as the best.

It really is all about the water

Cesare

quality posts: 1593 Private Messages Cesare
cheron98 wrote:Food Network's Food Detectives did a side-by-side comparison thing using a NY pizza maker, creating three identical pizzas except for the water used. NY water, San Francisco water, and I think Chicago water. There was a panel of 4 tasting blindly and all 4 chose the NY water pizza as the best.

Interesting, I'll have to look for that episode online or something. I've heard that so many times too, especially with Florida. I guess because so many NYers move there. I always wondered how much BS it was though.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Food Network's Food Detectives did a side-by-side comparison thing using a NY pizza maker, creating three identical pizzas except for the water used. NY water, San Francisco water, and I think Chicago water. There was a panel of 4 tasting blindly and all 4 chose the NY water pizza as the best.

True ... nowhere else can you get that melange of toxic waste, syringes, and water

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Jopo528

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jopo528

Too bad they didn't use San Angelo water...it adds flavor AND texture!

So, if I have no wine but am going to procure it I would say: I ain't got none y'all but I'm fixin' to. ? ~ Bowtie

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

Didn't they only use people from New York to test, though? What if they're just biased towards whatever funky taste NY pizza crust has?

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:True ... nowhere else can you get that melange of toxic waste, syringes, and water

No, see, that's the thing. NYC tap water is actually the cleanest in the country. It's spring water, from your tap. You must be thinking of Jersey water

cheron98

Moondragon wrote:Didn't they only use people from New York to test, though? What if they're just biased towards whatever funky taste NY pizza crust has?

No, I think they were from all over.

(edit: ok, maybe not)

Linky

All I know is, I personally have not had pizza as good as NYC's pizza. Some have come close, but there's just something about that crust And the same flavor in the crust is something I pick up in the NYC bagels, too. So it's gotta be something unique to that area.

LoonBoarder

cheron98 wrote:Just for you, Loon

(I forgot how fun that thread is/was!)

O_o

Dude... wait, what?

cheron98

LoonBoarder wrote:O_o

Don't look at me like that, you know it's true

LoonBoarder

Thank you for your diligence. Frappin' video kept freezing on me when I was trying to get to that scene and 'cap it.

Dude... wait, what?

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
kylemittskus wrote:X-posted from the Deals thread:

Makes me very sad.

I just sent Ty an email with the subject line: "Field Blend blues..." I wanted to make sure "our" opinion was known.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

LoonBoarder

cheron98 wrote:Don't look at me like that, you know it's true

Dude... wait, what?

LoonBoarder

eric9tx wrote:I just sent Ty an email with the subject line: "Field Blend blues..." I wanted to make sure "our" opinion was known.

So the 5 bottles I have left should be going up in value?

Dude... wait, what?

eric9tx

eric9tx wrote:I just sent Ty an email with the subject line: "Field Blend blues..." I wanted to make sure "our" opinion was known.

Holy dogshit! I got this back within like 2 minutes:
"Eric, the good news is I have changed my mind. There will be a field blend red made for the 2008 vintage. I may change the name to Ty's Red or Ty's Red Field Blend or Ty's Field Blend Red. What do you like best?

I really appreciate the email and compliments. It makes my day! Please let me know as soon as you have your schedule for your trip in January. Take care,

Ty"

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Jopo528

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jopo528
eric9tx wrote:Holy dogshit! I got this back within like 2 minutes:
"Eric, the good news is I have changed my mind. There will be a field blend red made for the 2008 vintage. I may change the name to Ty's Red or Ty's Red Field Blend or Ty's Field Blend Red. What do you like best?

I really appreciate the email and compliments. It makes my day! Please let me know as soon as you have your schedule for your trip in January. Take care,

Ty"

Awesome. And how convenient now that we know when we can go, lol

And I like "Ty's Red"...just sounds mysterious and intriguing!

So, if I have no wine but am going to procure it I would say: I ain't got none y'all but I'm fixin' to. ? ~ Bowtie

eric9tx

Jopo528 wrote:Awesome. And how convenient now that we know when we can go, lol

And I like "Ty's Red"...just sounds mysterious and intriguing!

Yeah, I originally wrote to Mitchell about him not making any more Field Blend, but also asked if he knew any dates in Jan when he would NOT be around.

And I agree (and told him so).

213 wooted bottles

CT

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:No, see, that's the thing. NYC tap water is actually the cleanest in the country. It's spring water, from your tap. You must be thinking of Jersey water

No, it's not.

Reader's Digest Survey had them about the lowest in Water cleanliness.

Not even in top 10 in a 2008 Forbes study.

Edit: A NY Times article in 2007 stated that the EPA stated NYC water no longer needed filtration. But, there were other cities (including San Francisco, Seattle, Boston and Portland, Oregon) also listed. The article did not state NYC water was the cleanest in America.

HitAnyKey42

eric9tx wrote:Holy dogshit! I got this back within like 2 minutes:

Totally awesome! I already look forward to the 2008 Ty's Red. And yeah, I like that name too. If he feels the need to add "Red" in there, I'd rather him lose the "Field Blend" part altogether. At least I think that's what I think.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

eric9tx

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Totally awesome! I already look forward to the 2008 Ty's Red. And yeah, I like that name too. If he feels the need to add "Red" in there, I'd rather him lose the "Field Blend" part altogether. At least I think that's what I think.

My thoughts on the matter: "I like the simplicity of “Ty’s Red”, but “Ty’s Field Blend Red” rolls off the tongue easily (and might be more obvious/recognizable to the average consumer). “Red Field Blend”… bleh."

213 wooted bottles

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
eric9tx wrote:My thoughts on the matter: "I like the simplicity of “Ty’s Red”, but “Ty’s Field Blend Red” rolls off the tongue easily (and might be more obvious/recognizable to the average consumer). “Red Field Blend”… bleh."

"Ty's Red" would be great. On the back label bring up the field blend. "Our 2008 Ty's REd is a field blend of 40% dis, 40% dat and 20% of some other thing."

You'll enjoy visiting Ty. He likes wooters and had us try basically everything in the tasting room.

EDIT: And I cleared 4K posts. Seems like 3K was only a little while ago. Don't tell the boss.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

Hi there, wine.wooter -

3 years? Are you kidding me? Although it seems like just yesterday we decanted the pioneering concept of Wine.Woot, we've now survived three trips around the sun thanks to our wonderful community (that's you) and equally wonderful winery partners (maybe that's you, too, since we always make a point of getting the winemakers involved in the community). Wine straight from the source, commentary straight from the users: not a bad way to spend three years. So now that we are the steely veterans of the Internet wine world, what changes will come with the fourth leaf of Wine.Woot?

Come, walk with me.

3 deals per week.

Like all little brothers, we want to be just like our big brother, Woot. So we're taking that next step and moving to 3 deals every week. But we're also keeping each Monday offer around on its own special page. And this week's Monday offer is the perfect time to start: Boss Monster, the newest wine from Woot Cellars, a Dry Creek valley Zinfandel wrapped in vintage video-game graphics. After that moves off of the front page, Wednesday's offer will be featured Wednesday and Thursday, and the Friday offer will be available Friday through Sunday.

We like this rhythm because it still gives you world famous Wine.Woot forumites two whole days to assess, research, comment, argue, espouse, and challenge both the wine and the winemaker or proprietor who we famously invite into our forums for each deal. And that's no small thing.
Selling pallets and pallets of wine in a short period of time is almost always the second favorite thing a winery takes away from the Wine.Woot experience. Almost without exception the winery can't stop talking about participating in the Woot community. If you'll pardon our fake French, they frickin' love the opportunity. So please keep joining us. In addition to adding great value to the site, your entertaining ways are helping us secure better and better deals.

But Winedavid39, how does the new schedule impact the Labrat program?

Good question. The golden ticket is still in play for those willing to accept this Herculean responsibility. (If that's you, hit us up at wine.woot.com/labrat.) But there are some key changes. So important that we have to bust out some eye-popping bullet points for effect:

As we said, Monday deals will be extended and available for purchase throughout the week (unless it sells out). After the two day event runs its course you can find Monday deals in the World of Woot community section (a la Shirt.Woot) or by simply typing: wine.woot.com/Monday.

Labrats will now have a more days to submit their report so both you and the wine can relax a little. Maybe you can invite some friends over, make it a full-on rat gathering, shoot a documentary of the experience. Whatever.

Labrat program will apply to Monday deals only. I repeat: Labrat program will apply to Monday deals only.

This week's Monday deal, Boss Monster by Woot Cellars, will have 6 labrats. So tune in and get the industry's only real-time, unfettered third-party feedback on wines being offered.
And we've renewed our Wine.Woot Woot-Birthday coupon program for a second straight year. Unlike President Obama's attempt to bring the Olympics to Chicago, we did our best Boss Huey Long imitation and strong-armed our way to securing another year of Wine.Woot Woot-Birthday
coupons. (Your ''Woot birthday''is the day you joined Woot.) We're pretty proud of this distinction: you don't see Shirt.Woot or Kids.Woot doing this for their fans, do you? You gotta love seniority. So, if you signed up for woot in October, one of the two emails you get from us this
month will actually have value.
So that's it for now, other than to say thanks. A big, tannic, fully decanted, 100 percent malolactic fermentation mouthfeel thanks for making this the best thing to hit the wine industry since the Seagram's wine cooler commercials.

We are just getting started.

Faithfully,
Winedavid39 (and counting)

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Cesare

quality posts: 1593 Private Messages Cesare
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Hi there, wine.wooter -

Already posted in the main thread. So the deals will be M W F. Labrats only on Monday. And the birthday coupons are renewed.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

HitAnyKey42

Cesare wrote:Already posted in the main thread. So the deals will be M W F. Labrats only on Monday. And the birthday coupons are renewed.

Yeah, saw that. I went to crosspost in case anyone else didn't do so already. Saw you took care of it already.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

eric9tx

polarbear22 wrote:"Ty's Red" would be great. On the back label bring up the field blend. "Our 2008 Ty's REd is a field blend of 40% dis, 40% dat and 20% of some other thing."

You'll enjoy visiting Ty. He likes wooters and had us try basically everything in the tasting room.

EDIT: And I cleared 4K posts. Seems like 3K was only a little while ago. Don't tell the boss.

Noted and forwarded. I wonder if he really gives a Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) about emails from some bumpkin in TX? Oh, well... as long as he keeps making good juice.

213 wooted bottles

CT

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
cheron98 wrote:No, see, that's the thing. NYC tap water is actually the cleanest in the country. It's spring water, from your tap. You must be thinking of Jersey water

I have to say one of the things I miss most about Chicago is the tap water. The water here is awful I won't even cook without filtering the water first.

MarkDaSpark

Good news and Bad news on Turley allocation .... Got the Hayne & Library PS increases I asked for , but no Pesenti Vineyard PS

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
MarkDaSpark wrote:Good news and Bad news on Turley allocation .... Got the Hayne & Library PS increases I asked for , but no Pesenti Vineyard PS

How did you hear? I asked for more of the Hayne as well.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
eric9tx wrote:"Eric, the good news is I have changed my mind. There will be a field blend red made for the 2008 vintage. I may change the name to Ty's Red or Ty's Red Field Blend or Ty's Field Blend Red. What do you like best?

1. Ty's Red
2. Ty's Field Blend Red

*. Red Ty's Field Blend

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:How did you hear? I asked for more of the Hayne as well.

Got a new invoice via email for the new total.