cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Dude .... You've been banned from the wine room in Cheron's list. You'll have to try to pry some Saké from bowtie's fingers.

*puts a new lock on the wine room door*

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
MarkDaSpark wrote:Dude .... You've been banned from the wine room in Cheron's list. You'll have to try to pry some Saké from bowtie's fingers.

Heh! I'll just wait until he's finished a bottle on his own, then it shouldn't be too hard.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

cheron98 wrote:*puts a new lock on the wine room door*

Good thing we already hid Bhodi's favorite Sake in there ... he'll find a why back in.

CT | | | | | |

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
jwhite6114 wrote:Good thing we already hid Bhodi's favorite Sake in there ... he'll find a why back in.

It better be one hell of a door, not many doors stop 250lbs of determined midwesterner.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
jwhite6114 wrote:And you know Britney Spears well enough to catch both references? Scary.

How could I not? It's the "music" of my generation. It's probably more strange that I know about Mott the Hoople than Britany Spears.

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:It better be one hell of a door, not many doors stop 250lbs of determined midwesterner.

Yeah there's no sake in my wine cellar. Sorry boys, your scare tactics don't work on me

JudyL1118

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JudyL1118

I absolutely should not have complained about having to unpack. Right after I posted that, we received word that my husband's oldest brother had a massive heart attack and died.

That's right: three deaths in ten days; my father, my nephew, and my brother-in-law. This in the middle of a highly stressful move - not that I'm blaming the deceased. I'm just having trouble grasping it all at once.

I am going to think happy thoughts from now on - I'm afraid I'm jinxed or something.

Here's my happy thought for today: "I'm only as strong as the coffee I drink and the hairspray I use." That means I'm a pretty strong old bird! That's some happy news.

Who hides behind that wine.woot user name?
Please post a quick bio on Getting to Know You
Join us on Facebook, too!

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:Yeah there's no sake in my wine cellar. Sorry boys, your scare tactics don't work on me

I travel with my own, they stole the bottle while I was passed out and hid it. I plan on using jdub as the battering ram to get it back

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

cheron98

JudyL1118 wrote:I absolutely should not have complained about having to unpack. Right after I posted that, we received word that my husband's oldest brother had a massive heart attack and died.

That's right: three deaths in ten days; my father, my nephew, and my brother-in-law. This in the middle of a highly stressful move - not that I'm blaming the deceased. I'm just having trouble grasping it all at once.

I am going to think happy thoughts from now on - I'm afraid I'm jinxed or something.

Here's my happy thought for today: "I'm only as strong as the coffee I drink and the hairspray I use." That means I'm a pretty strong old bird! That's some happy news.

Oh honey, I'm so sorry Your family shall remain in my thoughts and prayers for this added blow.

cheron98

bhodilee wrote:I travel with my own, they stole the bottle while I was passed out and hid it. I plan on using jdub as the battering ram to get it back

Oh here it is, I found it.

*opens the door briefly to place the sake bottle gently on the floor in the room, then closes and locks the door again*

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
JudyL1118 wrote:I absolutely should not have complained about having to unpack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your cycle of three is done. Hell of a way to end it, but it is done!!!

One box at a time, one hour at a time, then one day at a time. And post us some pics of the new house in progress.

xoxoxo

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
JudyL1118 wrote:

*bad things*

Many hugs and prayers for you and your family. You are in my thoughts and I will hope for you and yours nothing but good and happy things!

----------

jwhite6114

bhodilee wrote:I travel with my own, they stole the bottle while I was passed out and hid it. I plan on using jdub as the battering ram to get it back

Hey, if ends with the room spinning and me not caring where I am, it's all the same.

CT | | | | | |

CpprCr8

Dammit - they kewpied the "other me"! I knew I should have changed ID's before responding to that question! I was so happy with my "Zero Quality Posts"!

Oh well, at least the car still has more kewpies than I do.

jwhite6114

JudyL1118 wrote:I absolutely should not have complained about having to unpack. Right after I posted that, we received word that my husband's oldest brother had a massive heart attack and died.

Hang in there Judy ... with this many "downs" at once, you're due for a truckload of "ups" very soon!

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

BTW - Jana Zin up "over there" for those who are interested.

CT | | | | | |

Cesare

quality posts: 1469 Private Messages Cesare
jwhite6114 wrote:BTW - Jana Zin up "over there" for those who are interested.

I just put it in the discount thread so it's not lost here. Is it a good price? I like his old vine zin, I guess this is the same or similar.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Cesare

quality posts: 1469 Private Messages Cesare

Weird, my square is black here but not at the top of the page. It still says 99 woots.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

bhodilee

So, whats' the difference between a PC and a Workstation? When I got my last work computer I got a high end gaming PC since I work with Large (300mb) raster files and I figured gaming computers are supposed to render graphics fast so I'm good. Now I'm reading that a workstation may be better for what I do, but really, what's the diff? For those not in GIS consider it AutoCAD on roids.

K, according to HP a workstation is a PC designed to do one thing very well as opposed to multiple things decently. I needs me something that allows me to get online and crunchy the numbers fast since I do a lot of analysis. I'm thinking then a workstation is good to go, though, now my question is, would a high powered server benefit me even more than a workstation?

What I'd REALLY like to find is a crazy powerful laptop with two DVI or HDMI outs on it for hooking up to multiple monitors so I can rock it on the desk with wireless mouse and keyboard but when i gotta take my Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) with me I can have the same power I'm used without waiting forever for it to respond.

CpprCr8

bhodilee wrote:So, whats' the difference between a PC and a Workstation? When I got my last work computer I got a high end gaming PC since I work with Large (300mb) raster files and I figured gaming computers are supposed to render graphics fast so I'm good. Now I'm reading that a workstation may be better for what I do, but really, what's the diff? For those not in GIS consider it AutoCAD on roids.

K, according to HP a workstation is a PC designed to do one thing very well as opposed to multiple things decently. I needs me something that allows me to get online and crunchy the numbers fast since I do a lot of analysis. I'm thinking then a workstation is good to go, though, now my question is, would a high powered server benefit me even more than a workstation?

What I'd REALLY like to find is a crazy powerful laptop with two DVI or HDMI outs on it for hooking up to multiple monitors so I can rock it on the desk with wireless mouse and keyboard but when i gotta take my Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966) with me I can have the same power I'm used without waiting forever for it to respond.

You do realize that a laptop will *never* have the same power, speed, etc. of a workstation, don't you? Heat dissipation, drive size, lack of space for adding memory, etc. etc. etc.

bhodilee

CpprCr8 wrote:You do realize that a laptop will *never* have the same power, speed, etc. of a workstation, don't you? Heat dissipation, drive size, lack of space for adding memory, etc. etc. etc.

Oh, I know, but I can dream. I'd happily lug around a 15 pound laptop if it meant workstation power. Workstations are quickly pricing themselves out of the equation though. HP ones start at like 1700 and that's about where I want to end.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
CpprCr8 wrote:Dammit - they kewpied the "other me"! I knew I should have changed ID's before responding to that question! I was so happy with my "Zero Quality Posts"!

Oh well, at least the car still has more kewpies than I do.

Don't worry. We still think of you as "Zero Quality."

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

jwhite6114

eric9tx wrote:Don't worry. We still think of you as "Zero Quality."

Eric hangin' in Wisconsin, again!

CT | | | | | |

cheron98

jwhite6114 wrote:BTW - Jana Zin up "over there" for those who are interested.

Must be a zin day. Seems like there's Zins everywhere.

cheron98

eric9tx wrote:Don't worry. We still think of you as "Zero Quality."

OUCH!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Sending many hugs your way ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:So, whats' the difference between a PC and a Workstation? When I got my last work computer I got a high end gaming PC since I work with Large (300mb) raster files and I figured gaming computers are supposed to render graphics fast so I'm good. Now I'm reading that a workstation may be better for what I do, but really, what's the diff? For those not in GIS consider it AutoCAD on roids.

Hmmm, normally a workstation was basically something you'd put in a high traffic area that kept everything on a server (or mini-computer (AS/400) or mainframe). Basically just memory and video.

But in reading the Wikipedia article on workstations, it indicates that it is also a high-end type PC dedicated to technical or scientific apps. And may or may not use a version of UNIX.

Chances are, the gaming PC you got has a regular CPU in it, whereas the workstation would probably have a server type CPU (Intel Xeon class) in it. Which is why they cost so much more.

Servers don't normally have high end graphics needs, so that wouldn't help you. And CJ (IIRC) stated some of the limitations of the laptops. The biggest hurdle for a laptop is the heat generated by the CPU. It's got to get rid of it, and the higher end CPU, the more heat it will generate.

Best thing is to find out from your software vendor which systems they support. They may not support some or any workstations. You may also be limited on a workstation running other software, depending on what operating system it uses.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Cesare wrote:Weird, my square is black here but not at the top of the page. It still says 99 woots.

I think that is on a delay. It may only update the total once a day or so.

Edit: Mine still doesn't show the two from last night (Craig & Woot Cellars) yet.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:*puts a new lock on the wine room door*

Like that's going to work. Dudette, I'm from the LA area. Keys? We don't need no steenkin keys!

Plus, J-Dub doesn't have to suffer any more brain damage

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Hmmm, normally a workstation was basically something you'd put in a high traffic area that kept everything on a server (or mini-computer (AS/400) or mainframe). Basically just memory and video.

But in reading the Wikipedia article on workstations, it indicates that it is also a high-end type PC dedicated to technical or scientific apps. And may or may not use a version of UNIX.

Chances are, the gaming PC you got has a regular CPU in it, whereas the workstation would probably have a server type CPU (Intel Xeon class) in it. Which is why they cost so much more.

Servers don't normally have high end graphics needs, so that wouldn't help you. And CJ (IIRC) stated some of the limitations of the laptops. The biggest hurdle for a laptop is the heat generated by the CPU. It's got to get rid of it, and the higher end CPU, the more heat it will generate.

Best thing is to find out from your software vendor which systems they support. They may not support some or any workstations. You may also be limited on a workstation running other software, depending on what operating system it uses.

They actually recommend the HP Workstations, but they're costly. I'm looking at this one and going to Windows 7 x64 when it comes out so I can get more RAM for it.

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4635317&CatId=2640

And I'm well aware of laptop limitations, I was more espousing what I wish I could have.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
bhodilee wrote:

If you are serious about that then Alienware has the laptops for you. They will meet and exceed most any desktop. BUT, they are going to be $$$$ when fully tricked out.

I use a Dell workstation at work. Higher end components, tighter build, better customer service and a bigger $$$$.

Reality is that a heavy duty gaming computer will equal a current workstation running some version of windows. I /think/ Apple also has a workstation model. A few years back, that wasn't the case at all. Particularly in regards to graphics.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:They actually recommend the HP Workstations, but they're costly. I'm looking at this one and going to Windows 7 x64 when it comes out so I can get more RAM for it.

http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4635317&CatId=2640

And I'm well aware of laptop limitations, I was more espousing what I wish I could have.

hmmm. I think I'd get more RAM and perhaps a bigger hard drive as well.

Right now, it's 4gb RAM, but it's also a quad core, so you're only getting 1gb per processor. Speedwise, I'd try to bump it up to at least 12gb (3 per processor). Should help it process a lot faster.

Also, how big are your GIS files? Graphics tends to need a lot of drive space, so you might want to see if you can bump it to a 1tb drive. Or see if you can get 2 of the 500 drives. You could always use one for backups.

bhodilee

Lighter wrote:If you are serious about that then Alienware has the laptops for you. They will meet and exceed most any desktop. BUT, they are going to be $$$$ when fully tricked out.

I use a Dell workstation at work. Higher end components, tighter build, better customer service and a bigger $$$$.

Reality is that a heavy duty gaming computer will equal a current workstation running some version of windows. I /think/ Apple also has a workstation model. A few years back, that wasn't the case at all. Particularly in regards to graphics.

Alienware = Dell

Looking at the Dells now, though HP seems to be cheaper for more for Workstations, plus I like HP

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:Like that's going to work. Dudette, I'm from the LA area. Keys? We don't need no steenkin keys!

Plus, J-Dub doesn't have to suffer any more brain damage

I never said it was a key lock

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:hmmm. I think I'd get more RAM and perhaps a bigger hard drive as well.

Right now, it's 4gb RAM, but it's also a quad core, so you're only getting 1gb per processor. Speedwise, I'd try to bump it up to at least 12gb (3 per processor). Should help it process a lot faster.

Also, how big are your GIS files? Graphics tends to need a lot of drive space, so you might want to see if you can bump it to a 1tb drive. Or see if you can get 2 of the 500 drives. You could always use one for backups.

Riddle me this Sparky. If it's a 32bit OS is going above 4Gb gonna do me any good? I think I might just wait for Windows7 and get the 64x version which theoretically means I'm only limited by the Motherboard as to how much RAM I could go.

The raster files I work with are anywhere between 100 and 500mb in size, quite often I'll have two or three loaded at once while I'm panning around the map (these are county wide aerial photography photos)

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:I never said it was a key lock

And I never said I'd pick the lock ....

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:I never said it was a key lock

Is it like a magic lock? cause i've read Lord of the Rings a lot.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 224 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:Is it like a magic lock? cause i've read Lord of the Rings a lot.

I know the Harry Potter spells... and by me I mean... yeah, me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:I know the Harry Potter spells... and by me I mean... yeah, me.

Was that what your final was on?

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

bhodilee wrote:They actually recommend the HP Workstations, but they're costly. I'm looking at this one and going to Windows 7 x64 when it comes out so I can get more RAM for it.

I think this is the real difference between workstation and gaming. Of course you're probably going to get better stability and customer support with a workstation as well, but a good gaming video card does not equal good business 3d graphics.
The hardware might be the same, but the drivers are different, and optimized with different goals in mind. Here's Nvidia's take (pdf download) for the difference between their geforce and quadro lines.

CT