tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Boss Monster is bouncing.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
tommythecat78 wrote:???

http://deals.woot.com/ just copy/paste

tommythecat78

Imagine4vr wrote:http://deals.woot.com/ just copy/paste

Ahhh, now I see. That's all we need is another woot.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
sanity wrote:Sparky, java, Dennis the Menace Park, remember? It was there until the early 90's, don't know after that. The biggest collection of killer playground equipment.

Park is still there ... remember the little wading pool they had there? Don't remember what they have for equipment there now, have to check it out next time on the way to Mongolian BBQ.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:Boss Monster is bouncing.

Surprised it took this long, but I guess putting it off to a different page caused that delay.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:Surprised it took this long, but I guess putting it off to a different page caused that delay.

2691 woots = 16,146 bottles...so far...

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY

My fellow w.w's will be so proud of me! As I came last night after trudging through more than 5 inches of white fluffy stuff, my feet decided that it was time to do a Kristi Yamaguchi impression and attempt to do a triple lutz in the entry while carrying 2 pies in a box in one hand and a tote bag with 2 bottles of wine in the other. I saved the wine, but the pies and my pride are sort of smashed.

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
MarkDaSpark wrote:Park is still there ... remember the little wading pool they had there? Don't remember what they have for equipment there now, have to check it out next time on the way to Mongolian BBQ.

Oh, yes I remember the pool. That place was such a treat to go to when we were little.

sanity

NonnaWY wrote:My fellow w.w's will be so proud of me! As I came last night after trudging through more than 5 inches of white fluffy stuff, my feet decided that it was time to do a Kristi Yamaguchi impression and attempt to do a triple lutz in the entry while carrying 2 pies in a box in one hand and a tote bag with 2 bottles of wine in the other. I saved the wine, but the pies and my pride are sort of smashed.

so...did you still eat the pie?

Hope you are OK, and not sore today.

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY
sanity wrote:so...did you still eat the pie?

Hope you are OK, and not sore today.

Of course! Smushed cherry pie is great on a cold snowy morning. I woke up to more of the white stuff, probably more than a foot at this point, an it's still coming down. Shoveling will wait until much later. All the highways (I-80 and I-25) through town are closed, so no one is going nowhere for a while.

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

sanity

NonnaWY wrote:Of course! Smushed cherry pie is great on a cold snowy morning. I woke up to more of the white stuff, probably more than a foot at this point, an it's still coming down. Shoveling will wait until much later. All the highways (I-80 and I-25) through town are closed, so no one is going nowhere for a while.

So you like the white stuff?

It's 78* in the back yard, 70* in the front yard. I'm going outside to play!

Imagine4vr

sanity wrote:So you like the white stuff?

It's 78* in the back yard, 70* in the front yard. I'm going outside to play!

This is why I moved to AZ!! 80 outside and the sun is shining. Already went for a mile walk in the mountains, what a beautiful day

MarkDaSpark

Don't make me break out the cricket sounds again!!!!!

Dodgers 5 ... Cardinals 0 - 8th inning.

Edit (6:12pm PT): Dodgers Win!!!! 5-1 ..... now for the next victim.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

OK, I'm having "one of those days". Someday, I will be able to look back on this and laugh. Someday, I will be a stand-up comedian and this will become the routine of legends. Until that time... Well, here it is:

Today actually started on Thursday night, when I went to choir practice. One of the elderly choir members passed away earlier this week. So, at choir I found out that the funeral would be Saturday (today), at 1pm. Can there *be* a time for a funeral that totally wrecks the rest of the day more? Oh, please - I want to get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING accomplished on my Saturday other than attending a funeral.

(In the interests of full disclosure, I have to mention a couple of other background things. First, according to "Southern Family Rules", the elderly lady is related to me. In this, I mean that she was the mother of the husband of my first-cousin-once-removed. In a normal world, this is such a distant connection (by marriage no less) that there is no link. But according to "Southern Family Rules", I should have been calling her Auntie. The second background thing is that the woman annoyed the scaffolding out of me. I'm sorry. I shouldn't speak ill of the dead. But she was one of those people who was always wanting you to pity her because she was sick, or tired, or her husband left her after 40 years of marriage and wasn't she just such a saint. And then if you did anything to be of help, she would criticize you behind your back if it wasn't done according to her exacting standards.)

Forgot something earlier. I've been sick all week. Seasonal allergies from HELL this year. My voice is shot from the coughing and post-nasal ick. I sound like I should be dead.

Back to Thursday night. I got to choir to discover that we're doing the "full reception" thing. See, in the South, whenever there is a major function at church, the church ladies cater the reception. Now, there is totally nothing wrong with that. In fact, some of the best wedding and funeral receptions I have ever been to were catered by church ladies. If you have never had sweet & sour sauced meatballs, homemade butter mints, or pineapple-cheese casserole, you have *no* idea what you are missing. Come visit me.

So I was late to choir practice on Thursday. Therefore I didn't get to sign up for my usuals. What was left? Pickled beets (bleh) or potatoes (preferrably scalloped). OK, potatoes. For 70-100 people. scaffolding.

Friday, I look up a recipe for scalloped potatoes online. I've actually never made them from scratch before. The box kind are normally my friend - but NOT when you're talking potatoes for that many people. Found a recipe. 2 lbs of potatoes to serve 8 people. Scale it up, then adjust down because this is a pot-luck type situation...need to make 10 lbs of potatoes.

This morning, about 9am, I start on Project Scalloped Potato.
* Step 1, Peel 10 lbs of potatoes. Eh, not so bad.
* Step 2, fire up oven and clear the sink, because I have to slice all those potatoes. Uh oh. Sink w/ garbage disposal has just clogged. Great. The water is slowly draining, so just scoop the peels into the trash and move on.
* Step 3, slice potatoes. Actually no problem. I have a mandoline. (Yes! Score!)
* Step 4, layer a couple of casserole dishes, no more than 4 layers deep, otherwise they won't bake fast enough (It is now 10:30am, funeral is at 1pm, and I still have to shower.) First 9x13 pan...4 layers done and into oven. Gee, that didn't use too many potatoes. I still have a lot left. Second 9x13 pan...4 layers done and into oven. Holy scaffolding. I still have a lot of potatoes. And no more 9x13 pans. Pull out 8x8 pan. 4 layers done and rearrange the oven. Craaap. I've only used up half the potatoes and about 60% of the hot milk. 2 qt oval casserole. 4 layers done. Rearrange oven again. Craaaaaaap. No more room in the oven. There is still a butt-load of sliced potatoes and 25% of the milk remaining. It's 11am, I still have to shower, and I have to leave the house by 12:30. Grab a loaf pan. 4 layers + last of the milk. OK, I can "officially" be done. But there is no room in the oven. This can't get baked. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). Plastic wrap over the top and shove into the fridge.
* Step 5, Bake for 45 minutes or until done. 45 minutes elapsed. Hell's bells. The first one is *not done*!!! Come back 10 minutes later. Nearly done. Pull from oven. Raise oven temp to between 375 and 400. Scoop contents of casserole out and into 5 qt crockpot. (Because I need to keep them warm.) Taste potatoes. Still not quite tender. Crank crock-pot to HIGH.

What time is it.... 11:30 am. *Must leave house by 12:30!!!* CRAAAAAAP.

11:38, pull second casserole out. This one is just underdone, too. Scoop into crockpot. Turn crockpot off. Cover stoneware with foil and stuff the stoneware insert back into the oven. 2 more casseroles to go, both needing at least 30 minutes. Check the sink. Yep. Still clogged and clogged badly. Run and take shower.

12:15: Holy scaffolding. Can I cut this much closer??? Open oven. 1 casserole is done. 1 is NOWHERE CLOSE!. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). Pull stoneware and jam back into crockpot. Pull done casserole and scoop into crockpot. Turn oven off. Leave the 4th casserole in there. No time left.

12:30: Head to church. Get caught in traffic. *tick...tick...tick* Arrive at 12:53pm. Run into the kitchen. Plug in crockpot and turn on high. Go into sanctuary. Music is starting.

Attempt to sing first hymn. Yeah...right! MY VOICE leaps into the vacuum!!! And I have a coughing fit. Did I mention the choir is supposed to sing at the funeral? Yeah, not happening.

Funeral service was actually quite lovely. Reception was lovely. Potatoes were done and were acceptable. I thought they were lacking something, but everyone else liked them.

4pm: Church has been cleaned up and I can finally head home. Guess what...the sink is still clogged. Change clothes and start to diagnose. Get out plunger. Remember that you have to be careful using a plunger on a double sink because you can geyser up & out the second sink. Place pot upside down over the other sink drain. **plunge down**

Yeah. THAT was not quite so brilliant an idea. I didn't factor in the air line/overflow for the dishwasher, which dumps into the disposal. I got caught SQUARE IN THE CHEST by a *spew* of nasty water coming out of the airline and straight at me. I am now soaked. And the sink is still clogged. After 15 minutes of playing "double dare" with the plunger and the disposal, I finally give up. I need info.

Go online for help. "To prevent your disposal from clogging, never grind up the following things: 1) bones, 2) greasy stuff, 3) potato peels..." ***squeeeeeeeel*** Potato peels? Are NOT supposed to go in???? "Potato peels do not grind completely and cause jams in the U-Trap" fire Rocket Number 9 .

*Yes, we have now gone full tilt into the F- Word Zone.*

OK, now what. "To clear a U-trap clog, remove the U-trap and clean it out." fire Rocket Number 9 . That means plumbing work. "Unscrew the locking nuts and drop the trap out. Clear the clog and reattach the trap. OK, this might be do-able.

Clear out the undersink area. Pull out largest adjustable wrenches. Too small...Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). Extremely cramped under sink...double Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). Water outlet on disposal is on the BACK of the disposal, making it impossible to use a standard pipewrench...Triple Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). I need a strap wrench.

***At this point, I find it curious and infuriating that I have NOT bought a strap wrench to date. Especially since I've thought they were seriously cool for a couple of years. But every time I've gone to get one, I've talked myself out of it. "You don't *really* need one - you just want one because they look cool." Note to self...NEVER LISTEN TO SELF AGAIN!!!! Because NOW....I need one.***

Quick - call all of the "handy guys" I know who live relatively close. No one is home. Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966). Leave messages. Wait about an hour. Still no callback. Suck it up and go buy a strap wrench.

Come home. Yep, sink is still way, way clogged. Oh, and there are phone messages. Yep, someone has a strap wrench. Yep, he called me about 15 minutes after I left for Home Despot.

8pm. Hunker down under sink. Figure out how to use strap wrench. Holy scaffolding! It actually worked! Pull out U-trap. Yep. Totally JAMMED full of potato peel bits. Good news - there are no icky surprises at the bottom of the U-trap. It is *all* potato peels. About 1/2 lb of potato peels, in fact. Reattach trap and snug down the lock nuts. Amazingly...they are holding. Disposal is fine. No leaks.

Whew~! Now I just have to...clean...up...all...the...casserole dishes. Fuuuuck! *sigh*

The things I learned from this whole experience:

5. Buy a strap wrench. The metal handle kind with a woven strap. Best $10 you will ever put into your toolbox. Certainly cheaper than a plumber on a weekend.

4. 10 lbs of sliced potatoes IS A CRAPLOAD OF POTATOES!!!!

3. Anyone who tells you it takes 45 minutes to bake a scalloped potato casserole IS LYING!!! A 9x13 pan of potatoes takes at LEAST 60 minutes...more like 70.

2. DO NOT run potato peels down the garbage disposal. This will surely lead to problems at a *most inopportune time*!!!

.....And the number 1 thing I learned from this whole experience......

1. fire Rocket Number 9 THE SCALLOPED POTATOES. Make Mac & Cheese next time!!!

Love to you all. I'm headed for bed!

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:blah, blah, blah, swear word, blah, blah, blah, more swear words, blah, blah, blah ...

Love to you all. I'm headed for bed!

Sorry you had such a ..... umm, err, umm, what was it again?

a) bad day
b) really bad day
c) really, really bad day
d) all of the above

So sorry. And you are going to update the schedule, right?

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sorry you had such a ..... umm, err, umm, what was it again?

a) bad day
b) really bad day
c) really, really bad day
d) all of the above

So sorry. And you are going to update the schedule, right?

Yeah. But only if I don't have to make scalloped potatoes.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

Are we coming up on a 24 hour bounce for the Boss Monster? Gotta be a record.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:Yeah. But only if I don't have to make scalloped potatoes.

But, but, but ..... I like scalloped potatoes!!!

Oh very well. No scalloped potatoes.

And I thought you were headed for bed?

MarkDaSpark

speedoo wrote:Are we coming up on a 24 hour bounce for the Boss Monster? Gotta be a record.

Would have a * by it, since it wasn't the main woot, and was hidden on the Monday page.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
cjsiege wrote:Yeah. But only if I don't have to make scalloped potatoes.

Um...I took a nap today.

And thus ended my Saturday.

Glad you survived my dear.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
polarbear22 wrote:Domestic (i.e. store). Roasted with bacon on the breast, stuffed with oranges and some onion. Used the orange sauce that came with it. Served with Brussel Sprouts with bacon and an apple cider sweet-sour sauce. And wild rice with apricots, dried cherries, carots, pecans, onion and celery.

My wife sure knows how to "throw together" a dinner.

We so need to visit CT.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

I am working way too much. Off tomorrow. I'm opening something red and tasty. Maybe a Cab. Maybe Little's Band Blend. Or a Zin.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

MarkDaSpark

lauratchi wrote:We so need to visit CT.

Next summer has the Clambake .....

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
lauratchi wrote:We so need to visit CT.

We'll be ready.

And we have some great breweries around here, so the local beers are great.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
javadrinker wrote:Um...I took a nap today.

And thus ended my Saturday.

Glad you survived my dear.

Yeah? Well... *I* woke up at 11 and got ready to pick up my friend from the airport whose flight was supposed to arrive at 1 but didn't actually land until 1:30 and then got hassled on the way through customs and stuff (returning from Greece) and so didn't get to my car until 2:30 (Driving in circles around the airport wondering where the hell your friend is because they haven't turned on the cell phone yet is NOT my idea of a fun Saturday).

And then I had to drive said friend the half hour back to my place (opposite the direction I WANT to be going) to return him to his car so that I can FINALLY get on the road to get to Chicago 4.5 hours away.

And then I arrive so much later than originally planned that I missed the train to get downtown and so had to take a cab instead and the cabby decided to take the most AWFUL SLOW HORRIBLE WAY to get there and thus took almost all of my cash for the weekend.

But then dinner was fantastic (go see my thread for details. Shut up tommy.)

Yes. I drove 4.5 hours for dinner.

I love this place.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

tommythecat78 wrote:Boss Monster is bouncing.

Still bouncing ..... but seems like it's a little faster and lower than at the start. So maybe almost sold out?

MarkDaSpark

Okay, why does the logo on the Kansas City Chiefs helmet look like the state of Texas?

Edit: Nevermind. They used to be Dallas Texans in the old AFL.

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz

I bought the boss monster, hope it turns out well for us.

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

Imagine4vr

MarkDaSpark wrote:Still bouncing ..... but seems like it's a little faster and lower than at the start. So maybe almost sold out?

I don't think it will sell out. I'm going to guess there's a total of (approx)2900 woots? Tommy posted at 145am on 10.10 that the button was bouncing (first mention of it) and there are currently 2764 sold. If the button bounces at 10% this is what I figure.

(but I could be completely wrong, I am mathematically challenged).

tommythecat78

Imagine4vr wrote:I don't think it will sell out. I'm going to guess there's a total of (approx)2900 woots? Tommy posted at 145am on 10.10 that the button was bouncing (first mention of it) and there are currently 2764 sold. If the button bounces at 10% this is what I figure.

(but I could be completely wrong, I am mathematically challenged).

First bounce report was at 6:39 pm on 10/9 in the main thread.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Books ...

Check out "The Art of Racing in the Rain". It is more a book about life, and dogs, than racing. But very well written, a bit of a tear jerker.

And I really liked "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Moved quickly and as much fun as "The DaVinci Code".

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Imagine4vr

tommythecat78 wrote:First bounce report was at 6:39 pm on 10/9 in the main thread.

But no mention of how many sold at that time.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Nematic!!!

MarkDaSpark

Here's hoping it's Iron Horse for tonight's offer. WD's been quiet over in the main thread.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Here's hoping it's Iron Horse for tonight's offer. WD's been quiet over in the main thread.

I'm not supposed to be spending money!!!!!!!!!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
Imagine4vr wrote:Coming soon to a woot near you deals.woot.com

Good work... Looks interesting...!!

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
polarbear22 wrote:We'll be ready.

And we have some great breweries around here, so the local beers are great.

Want to grab a brew soon?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tommythecat78 wrote:Ahhh, now I see. That's all we need is another woot.

Six?! Six woot sites?! Insanity I tell you!! Madness!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Cj--that was hilarious. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Happy birthday to nematic (htw did sparky know that?)

Went to see Rob Thomas in concert tonight. What a great show! Had Carolina Liar and One Republic open for him. Now, off to bed...got a long day tomorrow.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

tommythecat78

MarkDaSpark wrote:Here's hoping it's Iron Horse for tonight's offer. WD's been quiet over in the main thread.

Here's hoping that it's Charles Shaw!!!