wysiwyg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wysiwyg

Just got mine today. The boxes clearly have a poor design, they were all torn or smashed inside. Not so great for something you want to give as a gift.

raddogz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raddogz

I got my two bottles today via FedEx.

The boxes were in perfect shape. I had to run out and get Vanilla Bean ice cream.

It's freakin awesome! If this becomes available down the road I'm buying more.

IWantSomeWine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IWantSomeWine
datafox1 wrote:The correct one is 9780688089634.

Browsed half.com and saw this selling brand new for $3! Added to cart and checked out instantly. Additional $3.99 for shipping (media mail) so $6.99 total...what a steal!

NismoPlsr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NismoPlsr
IWantSomeWine wrote:Browsed half.com and saw this selling brand new for $3! Added to cart and checked out instantly. Additional $3.99 for shipping (media mail) so $6.99 total...what a steal!

Good deal! I just did the same.

melisande8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages melisande8

Got my bottle today - it really is as good as everyone said.

One question though - how am I supposed to store this? Do I need to refrigerate it? I live in a top floor apartment and it gets pretty toasty in here.

metroshot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages metroshot
NismoPlsr wrote:Good deal! I just did the same.

Funny how on the same day, I got in:
1 Botte Piccola 7yr via FED-EX ground from Woot.

1 Oro Nero 15yr Tradizionale balsalmic & Olio Extra Virgin DOP olive oil from Umbria, Italy via UPS Ground from Casa de Case in San Francisco.

1 The Splendid Table: Recipes from Emilia-Romagna, the Heartland of Northern Italian Food book via US Mail from Amazon

I wonder if all the stars aligned together for me ???

Pictures of the 7yr, 15yr and a bottle of Umbria oil:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1004391/0

davisryan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davisryan

I still haven't received a shipping notice. Anyone else?

Anaxite

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Anaxite
davisryan wrote:I still haven't received a shipping notice. Anyone else?

Me neither. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if it comes in before writing to them.

intodogs

quality posts: 5 Private Messages intodogs

Central Illinois checking in and no shipping notice for me as well. But as I have stated in other posts, I live in an area where nothing ships ASAP.

Samsara

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Samsara

I never received a shipping notice, but mine arrived today.

First real balsamic I've ever had. I knew it would be great compared to the fake stuff, but my God, it's like comparing cabernet sauvignon to grape juice. There's no going back now. Woot, you do realize, if you don't offer this on a regular basis, I'm going to have to turn to prostitution to maintain this new lifestyle, right?

davisryan

Nevermind. Mine arrived today but never got a shipping notice. Now I need to get some strawberries and ice cream.

jasondo99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasondo99
davisryan wrote:I still haven't received a shipping notice. Anyone else?

All those who want to track go here:

https://www.fedex.com/AltRefTracking?cntry_code=us

Get your order number from your receipt and put it into the reference field, select your country and put your zip in. I always use this for wine.woot orders as they never give me ship notices.

jasondo99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jasondo99
jasondo99 wrote:All those who want to track go here:

Get your order number fr4om your receipt and put it into the reference field, select your country and put your zip in. I always use this for wine.woot orders as they never give me ship notices.

I just re-checked mine. It originally said 8/14 estimated delivery. Now it has been changed to 8/18. I live in FL. There goes my whole weekend...

ahorter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahorter

Get your order number from your receipt and put it into the reference field, select your country and put your zip in. I always use this for wine.woot orders as they never give me ship notices.

Thanks for the info! I hadn't received an email either, and sadly mine won't be here until 8/19. Now I have something to look forward for next weekend!

joanglo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joanglo
CasaDeCase wrote:Some of you have asked about this Botte Piccola in comparison to balsamic vinegars classified as tradizionale. This is a really big subject, but I will give a short explanation here and direct you to an excellent article where you can read all about balsamic classifications.

The short answer is that Cavedoni Botte Piccola is not a tradizionale classified balsamic – and you wouldn’t want it to be, considering that we sell Cavedoni tradizionale wholesale to restaurants and specialty gourmet shops at the equivalent of $24/oz for a base tradizionale (it must be at least 12 years old; the Cavedoni we sell is 15) and $44/oz for an extravecchio tradizionale. (extravecchio = very old, and must be 25 years old; the Cavedoni we sell is 30 years old).

OK, that puts a 100 ml bottle on the retail shelf at $110 for the tradizionale and $210 for the extravecchio tradizionale. Notice I said 100 ml. Ouch! The Botte Piccola is 250 ml. No wonder the article referenced above states that “Tradizionale remains a curiosity for most consumers.” The Cavedoni tradizionale are also DOP certified, but that is another discussion.

Botte Piccola is a true “Aceto Balsamico di Modena” – Balsamic vinegar from Modena which falls into the general classification of industrial – or commercial balsamic. Here is where the consumer can get into real trouble. There production of tradizionale is very strictly controlled – see the details in the article, but not so for commercial balsamic. Even those made in Modena. They run the range from very inexpensive, poor quality stuff to very good high-quality vinegars.

The low end is very yucky tasting stuff made with lots of vinegar and additives like caramel for color, sugar for sweetness and thickening agents. When a waiter pours balsamic into the dish of olive oil on your table, this is what he is using – and by the way, the oil is lousy too, its bad quality masked by the sweet balsamic. Restaurants buy this concoction in plastic jugs for next to nothing and boil it down to use in salad dressing and glazes (yuck!).

The good quality balsamics which are under 12 years old are a completely different animal. They are made with integrity and no additives with the same care as the tradizionale. There are, however, still differences besides age. The most notable are that the initial cooking process (read the article) for the commercial balsamics is done at a higher temperature and for a longer period to give the sugar formation a jumpstart. And, second, the must (this is the pressed grape juice that starts the process – read the article for a good explanation) is combined with vinegar. For the tradizionale no vinegar is used. The key to quality control here is not over cooking, and the percentage of must to vinegar. The good stuff is made with a lot more must than vinegar.

So what is a consumer to do? It’s not easy, but you can start with reliable merchants and sources (like Wine.Woot!) and getting recommendations from trusted sources. Also, armed with thelittle bit of knowledge presented here, the bottle label also tells a lot. Don’t be fooled by how fancy it is.

For instance here is what you will learn on the Botte Piccola label:

• It is a real “Aceto Balsamico di Modena
  • The ingredients list contains only two ingredients: “Cooked grape must and wine vinegar,” and notice the order – very important – more must than vinegar.
  • From the neck tag: “Lic Min. API 53 MO.” I don’t know how anyone is supposed to know this, but that is assurance that the producer is an authentic member of the official consortium in Modena.
  • Also from the neck tag: Made only from Trebbiano grapes grown in the Modena region.

Just a word on Trebbiano. You probably know that this is a Spanish varietal. The grapes used in the production on balsamic are not from Spain. At some point long ago, I don’t know when, they were planted in the area around Modena. They are well suited to balsamic production because of their high sugar content. Botte Piccola is made only from Trebbiano, but traditionally Lambrusco is also used.

One last thing, if you read the article referenced above, you will see that tradizionale is aged in as many as five different types of wood barrels. Botte Piccola is aged only in oak, because that is what Paolo Cavedoni chooses to use for this product.

Sorry for the long post – so much for the “short answer!” Well, if you read all the way down here there is a bonus: if you are truly interested in a true tradizionale we will sell up to ten bottles of DOP 15 year Cavedoni to Wooters for $80 – our best wholesale price. Seems crazy & outrageous but it is a bargain for the aficionado. It is not on our website, so you will need to send us an email to info@casadecase.com, and only the first 10 can be honored because that is all we can spare from our inventory.

Enjoy the Vinegar!

Howard

joanglo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joanglo
joanglo wrote:

I think in the explanation for the vinegar ad, it needs to be said up front that wine vinegar is added. If I'd read this first, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I don't like the addition of wine vinegar to the must. What I do is put cheese cloth over an open bottle and let it evaporate and thicken. Has taken some bottles over a year, even in the desert. The flavor is a little tart but really good on strawberries, ice cream and Parmesan shavings. I appreciate knowing the information and must say that the vinegar, while fairly mild is nice and thick. I've only put it on Parmesan so far--need to make some ice cream and try it on that.

ceist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceist

Thank you for the tip. I put in my information and see that my order finally shipped yesterday (8/13) and they don't anticipate delivery until 8/20! I wonder why some orders were processed quickly and others so slowly . . . .

champion123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages champion123

Thanks for the tip!

MHBoston

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MHBoston
melisande8 wrote:Got my bottle today - it really is as good as everyone said.

One question though - how am I supposed to store this? Do I need to refrigerate it? I live in a top floor apartment and it gets pretty toasty in here.

I'd like to know also. I'd prefer not to refrigerate since we are short on space but I certainly will if it is a must.

| w ~ 41 | s.w ~ 44 | so.w ~ 7 | w.w ~ 28 | k.w ~ 1 |

Diorules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Diorules

Great tip about finding the tracking. Mine's in Reno, but I havent recieved any info on it.

Diorules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Diorules
MHBoston wrote:I'd like to know also. I'd prefer not to refrigerate since we are short on space but I certainly will if it is a must.

You can just keep in it in a cabinet. It'll be just fine up there. Just leave the cork on it while not using.

mirlyn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mirlyn

Woot finally sent me a tracking # today and I tracked it and FedEx says they delivered it on 8/14 with comment "left at front door, no signature required." First off, I was home the entire day and no one knocked on my door. Second, I live in an apartment complex, so they left it in my apartment complex HALLWAY? That's safe. Third, the leasing office is right next door - why not deliver it there? Oh I'm so heated. FedEx is "researching" this for me but I think I'm screwed out of my vinegar .

MHBoston

Diorules wrote:You can just keep in it in a cabinet. It'll be just fine up there. Just leave the cork on it while not using.

Great! Thanks.

soneill5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages soneill5

Ok... got mine today- how do you use the dropper for measuring?

beezlebubba

quality posts: 6 Private Messages beezlebubba
soneill5 wrote:Ok... got mine today- how do you use the dropper for measuring?

you pour it from the dropper into a teaspoon, tablespoon, measurung cup, etc.
I got mine yesterday...very little leakage mostly just some drops on the seal. In the first offerring I had no leakage at all. We are just about finished with the bottle from the first offerring so this is just im time. thanks again....

jennyland

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jennyland

Mine was delivered yesterday. The box was in good condition, it could have been regifted, but it wont ;)

I was impatient to try it out when I got home, but I was conservative. Trying a vinegar on ice cream sounds curious, but I wanted to go with something more .. usual for my first foray. I cored and diced a fresh tomato and diced some mozzarella. Sprinkled it with fresh ground black pepper and a smidge kosher salt. Lightly poured the balsamic on top and tossed the dish to let all of the flavors combine.

I was in love at the first taste! By the scent of the vinegar, I thought it was going to be pungent and sharp. I couldn't have been more wrong! It was delicate and sweet, tempered well with the juicy tomatoes and the creamy mozzarella!

I will be ordering more of this product the next time I see it available on Wine.Woot. Tonight, mayhaps, I'll be adventurous enough to try it on that infamous combination: strawberries and vanilla ice cream!!

197 Woots and counting (including 16 Basket of Chocolates)

gosla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gosla

Ordered 2. Just found that BOTH BOXES were clearly shipped damaged. One was leaking all over the inside of it's box. The other wasn't leaking, but the box was torn up. So much for use as gifts. Pretty disappointed. Is there anything I can do to rectify matters???

ibanezmike

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ibanezmike

Both of mine arrived with the boxes in great shape and very well packed, but both were leaking inside the boxes, which will likely keep me from giving one as a gift. Croooooooooow!!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 317 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

gosla wrote:Ordered 2. Just found that BOTH BOXES were clearly shipped damaged. One was leaking all over the inside of it's box. The other wasn't leaking, but the box was torn up. So much for use as gifts. Pretty disappointed. Is there anything I can do to rectify matters???

Sorry about that. email service@woot.com

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

Both shipments (Central VA and Central NC) arrived on Weds. Safely all around. Now to crack open the first bottle.

davisryan

Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream works very well. It has a strong vanilla taste to begin with, and the balsamic amplifies it more!

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase
Winedavid39 wrote:Sorry about that. email service@woot.com

Regarding Damaged or Soiled Boxes needed for Gifts Casa de Case will be happy to ship you at our expense an empty Botte Piccola box if you want to use it for appropriate gift presentation. Just email us: info@casadecase.com.

Regarding Leaking Bottles We experienced this with the last shipment. A very small percentage of the bottles seem to leak. Cavedoni doesn't feel it is from the vinegar expanding in hot climates during transit, but we think that is the only explanation, because the cork is very tight.
In any event, it has been reported in almost all cases that the leakage is just a very small amount. We can assure you that this in no way compromises the vinegar and the remaining vinegar in the bottle is just fine. if for some reason you are not satisfied with this explanation, you can send us the bottle you received and we will ship you a replacement. Please email us at the link above before doing so.

CasaDeCase

ibanezmike wrote:Both of mine arrived with the boxes in great shape and very well packed, but both were leaking inside the boxes, which will likely keep me from giving one as a gift. Croooooooooow!!

Please see our reply to winedavid39

pengu1n

quality posts: 14 Private Messages pengu1n

My thought on leaking bottles. Mine showed up just fine BTW. Boxes in great condition, and no leaks...but I was quite surprised that the bottles were as full as possible. I maybe had one tiny tiny bubble under the cork on both bottles. Doesn't give much expansion room at all. Maybe some bottles are filled too much and that is the cause?

I've just tried it straight up, but will be experimenting this week with it.

dschonew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschonew
CasaDeCase wrote:Please see our reply to winedavid39

Good evening,

I have seen a reply to the "how to store" question and was wondering if CasaDeCase has an opinion on the optimum method of storage. I have plenty of room in my refrigerator and would like to know if it is OK to keep it there.

Regards,
dschonew

CasaDeCase

pengu1n wrote:My thought on leaking bottles. Mine showed up just fine BTW. Boxes in great condition, and no leaks...but I was quite surprised that the bottles were as full as possible. I maybe had one tiny tiny bubble under the cork on both bottles. Doesn't give much expansion room at all. Maybe some bottles are filled too much and that is the cause?

I've just tried it straight up, but will be experimenting this week with it.

Yes, that is what I meant by, "that is the only explanation..." that the bottles are filled to high.

This at least is not as bad as olive oil, which REALLY expands with heat.... we had a problem with a very tiny producer who fills bottles with a tiny machine overfilling the bottles. When we opened the container about a dozen bottles had burst.... then, after we delivered a few cases to a customer in the Napa Valley in dead summer, they started exploding in their 110 degree kitchen. Not nice.

CasaDeCase

dschonew wrote:Good evening,

I have seen a reply to the "how to store" question and was wondering if CasaDeCase has an opinion on the optimum method of storage. I have plenty of room in my refrigerator and would like to know if it is OK to keep it there.

Regards,
dschonew

Sorry, I have been ignoring these questions only because I answered a similar post during the sale:

You do not need to worry about storing balsamic vinegar on an open shelf - even in extreme weather. There is no need to refrigerate it. Do keep the cork in it to prevent evaporation.

In fact, part of the aging process in the wood barrels is subjecting the vinegar to vast swings in temperature in the storage caves - which are actually up in attics where it is very, very hot in summer and extremely cold in winter.

Just keep it on the shelf.

dschonew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dschonew

Great, sorry for the reposted question.

CasaDeCase wrote:Sorry, I have been ignoring these questions only because I answered a similar post during the sale:

You do not need to worry about storing balsamic vinegar on an open shelf - even in extreme weather. There is no need to refrigerate it. Do keep the cork in it to prevent evaporation.

In fact, part of the aging process in the wood barrels is subjecting the vinegar to vast swings in temperature in the storage caves - which are actually up in attics where it is very, very hot in summer and extremely cold in winter.

Just keep it on the shelf.

MHBoston

Okay, now that I've had a chance to get the bottle and enjoy it, I want to know when it will be offered again I should have gotten three in this last offering but stupidly decided not to. Any word on this being available again before Christmas for gifting purposes?

swootchie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages swootchie
swootchie wrote:I got an email saying that I am one of the lucky 10. once I get both the 2 bottles i purchased today and the *1* I will add my opinions to those of the other lucky 10.

WOW! ok I got both shipments... the one from woot and i was one of the lucky ones to get the "better" balsamic.

love both. there is a definite difference between the two balsamics. the more expensive is much like a topping for any food... sweet, savory... it doesnt matter. and you like the spoon.

can't wait till this is back up on woot again so i can get more!

Swootchie