INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

What I find fascinating about quality aged BV is it's versatility to work before, during and after dinner as previous posts have been touting. It's amazing how just a drizzle brings the simplest food to another dimension. Whether it's with EVOO on some fresh bufala Mozzarella, garden tomato and basil or over some Grana Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano. I can only imagine what their extra vecchio 30, 50, 80 or 100 year old is like.

Kota6284

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kota6284
CasaDeCase wrote:Detailed Vinegar Information

Thanks for the info, and now that it is bouncing I am glad I bought it in plenty of time.

canonizer

quality posts: 23 Private Messages canonizer
intodogs wrote:Actually I purchased at 12:15am central time. Way early enough to be considered to rat. First posting was right about then. However my poets mind was not in tip top shape. So there ya go.

I think judging from my response, it's clear that I have nothing poetic to offer. Good luck with the possible rattage!

signed.

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase

Some Wooters have been curious about the name Botte Piccoa.

Some of the barrels used in balsamic aging have specific names. The process starts with a very large barrel called madre(mother)where the primary fermentation occurs. Then, the vinegar is moved to a series of barrels, called a batteria for aging. Each barrel is of a successively smaller size and made from different types of wood. The first and largest barrel is called the rincalzo.

As the vinegar evaporates in each cask, a process called travaso in employed to top-off each barrel with liquid from the next larger barrel. The final barrel - the only one from which the bottling is performed - is named botte piccole. The translation is simply: small barrel.

CasaDeCase

Kota6284 wrote:Thanks for the info, and now that it is bouncing I am glad I bought it in plenty of time.

Indeed. You Wooters are awesome - outstripping Wine.Woot's and our expectations in just the first day! I will see if Wine.Woot would like to repeat this just before Christmas.

thaerin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thaerin

Can't wait for this to show up at home. I'm already writing up a massive list of dishes I want to prepare with this fantastic stuff.

"He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." -- Benjamin Franklin

pengu1n

quality posts: 14 Private Messages pengu1n

Got the OK from the wife to get one for my Mom for Christmas...saw the bouncing and bought 2. I'm in the doghouse if she sees the credit card bill before she tries it.

champion123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages champion123

in for one..i am definitely curious with all these rave reviews AND the fact that winewoot is almost out of this balsamic vinegar in one day!

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege
CasaDeCase wrote:Indeed. You Wooters are awesome - outstripping Wine.Woot's and our expectations in just the first day! I will see if Wine.Woot would like to repeat this just before Christmas.

Ask WineDavid about the "12 Days of Wootmas" that he does at the beginning of December. I think you all would be an excellent addition to Wootmas if you could ensure the gift givers would get their shipment in time for wrapping and placing under a certain tree.

jplamb

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jplamb
CasaDeCase wrote:Indeed. You Wooters are awesome - outstripping Wine.Woot's and our expectations in just the first day! I will see if Wine.Woot would like to repeat this just before Christmas.

You guys were up last year on the Wine.Woot Gift week and sold 1533 bottles in a half day run during that (12/2). It'd be a perfect time to come back with another offering since this balsamic makes a wonderful gift. I'd definitely be in for some more for gifts in December if it's back.

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

Congrats on the Sell-Out!

jplamb

quality posts: 16 Private Messages jplamb

1,500 bottles, I guess that's not a shock that it sold out since it sold more last time in less than a day. Congrats on the successful sale and I hope you guys come back later in the year.

hanchyang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hanchyang
CasaDeCase wrote:Sorry for the long post – so much for the “short answer!” Well, if you read all the way down here there is a bonus: if you are truly interested in a true tradizionale we will sell up to ten bottles of DOP 15 year Cavedoni to Wooters for $80 – our best wholesale price. Seems crazy & outrageous but it is a bargain for the aficionado. It is not on our website, so you will need to send us an email to info@casadecase.com, and only the first 10 can be honored because that is all we can spare from our inventory.

Enjoy the Vinegar!

Howard

I propose that those Wooters who managed to get in on this offer post a report on the tradizionale versus the Botte Piccola.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 259 Private Messages kylemittskus

Triacipedis! Triacipedis! Triacipedis! Please??? I'm down to 6 bottles and am drinking it sparingly.

And, I'm very glad I was in for two before the sellout (congrats and thanks) And I, too, would love to see this again during gift week.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

swootchie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages swootchie
hanchyang wrote:I propose that those Wooters who managed to get in on this offer post a report on the tradizionale versus the Botte Piccola.

I got an email saying that I am one of the lucky 10. once I get both the 2 bottles i purchased today and the *1* I will add my opinions to those of the other lucky 10.

Swootchie

OmniOne

quality posts: 6 Private Messages OmniOne
swootchie wrote:I got an email saying that I am one of the lucky 10. once I get both the 2 bottles i purchased today and the *1* I will add my opinions to those of the other lucky 10.

Lucky bastard. I didn't see the offer until a few minutes ago. Drat and/or failure.

GOGO11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GOGO11

Store this stuff upright. The two bottles I had stored horizontally from the last woot leaked on the nice box. No longer "gift suitable", guess I'll have to keep for myself.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

Congratulations, you guys, on buying 1500 $35 + $5 shipping bottles of balsamic vinegar. I won my bet. Too bad I didn't buy one myself, and too bad I didn't bet any money. I just had a feeling ... you know?

Anyway, GOOD JEORB!

OmniOne

quality posts: 6 Private Messages OmniOne
OmniOne wrote:Lucky bastard. I didn't see the offer until a few minutes ago. Drat and/or failure.

Belay that post, I got one too! =D

Actually, I'm not sure whether to be excited or horrified that I'm spending $160 on 600 ml of balsamic. Probably both.

adams828

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adams828

Just curious - got in on 2 early this morning, and have previously signed up for lab rattage. Now I see many people posting they are "available" to test - is this necessary to be considered? I have purchased a number (I guess not that much relatively speaking) of offerings, and always thought that just signing up was all that was needed.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
adams828 wrote:Just curious - got in on 2 early this morning, and have previously signed up for lab rattage. Now I see many people posting they are "available" to test - is this necessary to be considered? I have purchased a number (I guess not that much relatively speaking) of offerings, and always thought that just signing up was all that was needed.

No, but it sometimes will help WD decide who to send the labrat bottles. Begging on your birthday, anniversary, etc. sometimes helps too.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

claudicina

quality posts: 34 Private Messages claudicina

With this sold out, there seriously won't be another wine woot until Monday?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:No, but it sometimes will help WD decide who to send the labrat bottles. Begging on your birthday, anniversary, etc. sometimes helps too.

Some of us are suspicious that begging, etc., actually decreases your chances. The one thing I would add here is that I believe they do pay attention when someone who will be unavailable because of schedule, out-of-town, whatever, posts a message to that effect so as to avoid "wasting" a labrat bottle.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

adams828

quality posts: 2 Private Messages adams828

Thanks for the info MarkDaSpark and euddeg. Ah, the wonderful mysteries of wine.woot continue!

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 52 Private Messages Pufferfishy

I was on the fence this AM but came back to pull the trigger

That'll learn me....

You've been put on posting probation for this REALLY REALLY OLD post

grizz78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grizz78
MarkDaSpark wrote:No, but it sometimes will help WD decide who to send the labrat bottles. Begging on your birthday, anniversary, etc. sometimes helps too.

So, if begging for rat status on your anniversary helps...

My anniversary to a wonderful woman (and a winewooter) is coming up soon. How about some of the bubbly?

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
claudicina wrote:With this sold out, there seriously won't be another wine woot until Monday?

~bumped~
It's gonna be a long weekend without an offering.
With that mentioned, how's about a really early clue?
;)

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

Kisisie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kisisie
Pufferfishy wrote:I was on the fence this AM but came back to pull the trigger

That'll learn me....

Ugh, me too. I thought for sure it would still be here when I got home from work.

CasaDeCase

Now that the Botte Piccola has sold out, I don't know if anyone is checking-in here, but I thought I would throw out a recommendation to all the foodies on one of our favorite Italian cookbooks which pays a lot attention to balsamic vinegar. It is The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. The subhead on the title is "Recipes from Emilia-Romagna, the Heartland of Northern Italian Food."

Of course Emilia-Romagna is the home of balsamic and it plays prominently in their cooking. This is a great cookbook that won the James Beard Award and the Julia Child Cookbook of the Year award. It has been out for several years, so you should find it discounted.

The recipes are just terrific and there is a wonderful big section on ingredients, with five pages devoted to balsamic. Even if you don't cook, it makes great reading.

metroshot

quality posts: 2 Private Messages metroshot

"...recommendation to all the foodies on one of our favorite Italian cookbooks which pays a lot attention to balsamic vinegar. It is The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper"

Thank you! I was thinking of what to do with 500ml of this balsalmic since I don't eat ice cream (lactose intolerant)....

On eBay there are 2 identical titles but different ISBN numbers: ISBN-13: 9780307346711
ISBN-13: 9780688089634
Which one ???

CarpeDiem601

quality posts: 0 Private Messages CarpeDiem601
metroshot wrote:"...recommendation to all the foodies on one of our favorite Italian cookbooks which pays a lot attention to balsamic vinegar. It is The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper"

Thank you! I was thinking of what to do with 500ml of this balsalmic since I don't eat ice cream (lactose intolerant)....

On eBay there are 2 identical titles but different ISBN numbers: ISBN-13: 9780307346711
Which one ???

You poor soul. Maybe they will w00t an ice cream making machine. Make some of your own with Lactaid or any other lactose free milk!

datafox1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages datafox1

The correct one is 9780688089634.

metroshot wrote:"...recommendation to all the foodies on one of our favorite Italian cookbooks which pays a lot attention to balsamic vinegar. It is The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper"

Which one ???

metroshot

Ah, I got the LAST bottle of their 15 year old DOP tradizionale balsalmic for $80!

It was a pleasure chatting with Howard Case and was so enthralled with their service that I posted them on Yelp.com!

Will have to report back on the differences between the 7yr and 15yr !

metroshot

datafox1 wrote:The correct one is 9780688089634.

Thank you Datafox !

chipandstephanie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chipandstephanie

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
I missed it again. This time I was actually prepared, but work kept me away. Surely, I thouht, this will still be here for me to purchase over the weekend.

Drat you Wine.Woot Sellout, Drat you!
(But I will be upping my supply of that-sip-a-something...)

InFrom

quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom
kylemittskus wrote:Triacipedis! Triacipedis! Triacipedis! Please??? I'm down to 6 bottles and am drinking it sparingly.

OK, how did you know?

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
squeaks321 wrote:I just checked the Woots by state map and concluded that I will never move to Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Arkansas, Kentucky, or New Hampshire. Not enough foodies.

Hold on there, Squeaky... I'm in New Mexico and bought two bottles... try this balsamico with a freshly roasted Hatch green chile stuffed with fresh mozzarella... Enchanting...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

perryscottt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages perryscottt

Just got the shipping notification on the tradizionale with a delivery of Friday.

davisryan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davisryan
CasaDeCase wrote: I thought I would throw out a recommendation to all the foodies on one of our favorite Italian cookbooks which pays a lot attention to balsamic vinegar. It is The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. The subhead on the title is "Recipes from Emilia-Romagna, the Heartland of Northern Italian Food."

I ordered the book from Amazon for $13.18. Still waiting for my BV to ship...

winefarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages winefarm
CarpeDiem601 wrote:You poor soul. Maybe they will w00t an ice cream making machine. Make some of your own with Lactaid or any other lactose free milk!