polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

We are really enjoying the bottle from last offer. For a small bottle, it lasts a long time. I guess because you only need a little.

So in for one as a Xmas gift. Less than 150 shopping days, etc.

And are they really going to labrat this? That would be a real sweet deal.

pacw808

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pacw808

I'm looking forward to this purchase. I signed up for the labrat, perhaps prematurely, but hoping it would be fixed soon as Tennessee only recently is allowing shipments of wine into the state. I am hoping that Woot has paid the fee to do so! I really want the opportunity to participate more fully with wine.woot!

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

Woot writer, you are VERY good at what you do. BUT I DIDN'T CAVE. Despite rave reviews of wooters and executive chefs alike, I don't think I can spend $40 on a bottle of vinegar. Not to say it isn't amazing! I just ... no, sorry. ANOTHER TIME, perhaps!

fgarriel

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fgarriel

This might be the single best ingredient I've ever tasted. I won't share it with anyone other than my wife. Seriously, I have had dinner parties where I put this far out of sight so that no one asks about it.

I could eat it with a spoon.

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

Oooh, ooooh, can I rat please?

I got this on the previous offering - the comparison to cheaper balsamics? Like cabernet to white zin. The complexity is incredible. The Cavedoni actually tastes like wine.

I'm so glad to see this back on Woot. I'd been hoarding mine. Now I can break out the tomatoes and mozarella for all the Caprese I want - woo hoo!

Jan

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP
koneco wrote:I don't think I can spend $40 on a bottle of vinegar.

So many of us thought the same. I thought I was perfectly happy with my $11 bottle of balsamic. Thin, tangy, but good. But I've gone to the dark side of thick, gooey, sweet, aged.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

winefarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages winefarm
kogaku wrote:A bit rich for my blood. Well, that is, I am stumbling into my seventh decade of what passes for a life, yet, I'm not ready to have my wife kill me over the purchase of a bottle of vinegar. ;)

So, going out on a limb and assuming that no one will take pity on me and send me one gratis, for my health, so to speak, I offer up a modest proposal to The Chief Woot:

How about something for those of us of modest means who nevertheless do enjoy a spot of flavor on occasion?

What I am thinking of is the sale of some HP Sauce (Canadian or U.K. provenance, NOT the "domestic blend" by L&P which is NOT the same thing at all, and, costs quite a bit more, in my experience).

As I get older (and have become more rural), I find it harder and harder to find friends visiting CA or UK, and prevailing upon them to "bring me back just a FEW bottles" -- and, likewise, as Woot has put a serious crimp on my Ebay purchases, it's been a LONG time since I've made any purchases from Canadian sellers, and thus had opportunity to plead with them to toss a few bottles (and the cost) into the box before sending it down here to the states. (Ah, the joys of opening a big crate and finding a large format view camera AND a few bottles of HP Sauce!)

If, by some surreal set of circumstances, this beg-a-thon DOES gain some traction at Planet Woot, then I would 'humbly plead for the sale to either be restricted to -- or, include -- the "traditional" (AKA "normal" or "plain") HP Sauce (rather than "Spicy" or "Fruity" or "Bold" or any of the other "HP-come-lately" varieties.

For those of you who live in Canada, and bemoan your ongoing inability to purchase from Woot... enjoy your revenge. We in the states are unable to enjoy the ready supply of this bottle of flavor which you undoubtedly take for granted, what with it being in every supermarket (at modest prices!) and on nearly every restaurant table (at least as common as ketchup is in this country).

And for those of you wondering "just what the bleepin' hell IS this 'HP Sauce' of which he speaks?" I'll simply suggest that you scour the "specialty" shelves of your local grocery stores -- you MAY be able to find a bottle imported from the U.K.

for the past year or two I've seen them on occasion -- perhaps L&P no longer has the USA franchise? If so, good riddance! They certainly didn't MARKET the product with any serious result -- instead of USABLE sized bottles, at REASONABLE prices, they sold it in TINY bottles with HIGH prices -- and, to my palate, it seemed too sweet, with less flavor.

Imagine only being able to find ketchup in tiny bottles at several dollars per -- and having the product being too sweet with less flavor.

(Ketchup DOES have its place -- it's indispensible on french fries, for example.)

And, if anyhone tells you, "Aw, what's the big deal, just get a bottle of A1 sauce" then ask them if they'd consider (if a wine drinker) giving up their favorite varieties and instead "just pick up a few bottles of Ripple" (or Twist or Boon's Farm or some other [I'll leave the adjectives up to your imagination].

There is NOTHING like real HP on vzrious foods. I find it hard to eat eggs without HP. Of course, it's only been about 40 years since I discovered it (visiting British friends living in Toronto), so it's probably just a passing fad with me.

I'm sure the Buyer(s) at Woot CAN find a deal on a consignment of HP Sauce if they keep their eyes open. Hopefully they will, some day soon.

(If you do, please promote it on the main site LOUDLY ;) I don't check here very often. I used to enjoy a nice glass of wine on occasion, but my body can no longer tolerate any alcohol at all (spinal damage which causes near-instant migraines upon the ingestion of any adult beverage.)

noted. I'll have to check out this HP.

WD

kylemittskus

quality posts: 259 Private Messages kylemittskus

The first time this was up, I thought to myself: I understand gourmet foods, but I'm ok with whatever the grocery store sells. And even if I wasn't, $35 is pretty steep. I bought two bottles and I blame Corrado and my anteater friend, along with the rest of you hooligans for making me a snob. Thanks a lot!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

LaVikinga

quality posts: 23 Private Messages LaVikinga

Oh Boy, I was hoping this would show up again! In for two. This is such a fabulous deal. We like it drizzled over a slice of Cabot's Seriously Sharp (Hunter's Choice) Cheese on top of either water crackers or Triscuits.

I prefer the Triscuits as the salt on them does something amazingly wonderful when it's combined with the sweetness of vinegar.
It's so delicious on top of slices of moist roasted pork. Heck, it would be good on top of a grilled Swiss & cheddar cheese sandwich or french fries and chicken nuggets for that matter!

If you're undecided, take the plunge. If you don't like it, you can give it away, but I'm thinking you won't. I promise you, you will NOT be disappointed.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

lahargis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lahargis

I am so glad to see this again!! Yummmmm!!!

philmcfly

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philmcfly

I'm not domesticated at all... and cooking goes as far as a microwave and jiffy pop. How much does one add to a salad? I'm used to drowning my leaves and veggies in Balsamic, but obviously not with this stuff.

In for 2 as a gift for me and another.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

nothing like beating a dead horse but this stuff really is amazing. We killed off the first bottle a while back (which had a mother and is now resting peacefully in the back of a pantry full of cab, will it work Kittah?) and have since opened the back-up bottle. Today I find myself purchasing a replacement back-up IMO, in terms of quality and overall enjoyment in their respective fields, this is right up there with Bandini and Amano. We have three different BVs open in our house at any given time (for different purposes) but this one is just for us and VERY special guests.

CT

intodogs

quality posts: 5 Private Messages intodogs

I'm so willing to beg
To become a lab rat
Not pulling your leg
I'd tip my hat
To the Woot Gods above
For letting me try
To convince all you Wooters
To BUY BUY BUY!!!

And no, I'm not eight years old, just act like it sometimes.....

painda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages painda

I bought a bottle of this for my sister-in-law last time it was up, and she absolutely raves over it! It's fantastic drizzled over sliced strawberries with some fresh ground pepper and a little sugar. Or over vanilla gelato and some fresh berries. I never would have thought those would be good combinations until I tried them. Yummy!

canonizer

quality posts: 23 Private Messages canonizer
intodogs wrote:I'm so willing to beg
To become a lab rat
Not pulling your leg
I'd tip my hat
To the Woot Gods above
For letting me try
To convince all you Wooters
To BUY BUY BUY!!!

And no, I'm not eight years old, just act like it sometimes.....

If you ordered from woot at eleven forty-eight/
there's nothing to say except you're too late.

(to be a rat)

edit: ok, i've passed before. i think i might have to grab it this time.

signed.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 38 Private Messages woopdedoo

Got some last time and I thought I was a bit nuts. I am not sure I completely confessed on the actual dollar amount to Mrs. Woop, but nonetheless, she has enjoyed it to the last drop. So, in for two this time.

Since this will most certainly sell out soon, I again suggest that the wine.woot warehouse needs to be cleared out of the remaining Triacipedis while warm weather is still upon us.

Just sayin' ...

iceeblue7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages iceeblue7

I'll had my 2 cents to the cavalcade of praise. I was in for one the first time and 3 for the second. Gave one of the bottles from the second order to my sister, she and her husband are chiefs. I love this stuff hard to not go in again even though I have two bottles left. I sprinkle on mozzarella and fresh tomato and basil sandwiches divine.

This is to supermarket brought what dial up is to broadband.

As for HP or Daddies Sauce count me in WD I grew up on the stuff. Very different as sauces go. A UK staple with egg and chips.

seltzerdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seltzerdog
MannyLaMancha wrote:Does anyone else think the picture of the guy inside the box looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World from the Dos Equis commercials?

He doesn't always drink vinegar, but when he does, he prefers Cavedoni.

jschacht

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jschacht

In addition to all of the sweet suggestions...just a couple of drops of this on a salad along with some really flavorful EV olive oil and a little s&p turns a simple salad into something extraordinary. Same prep -- splash of olive oil and a few drops of the Cavedoni -- on grilled veggies. These are the elements that make everything in Italy taste amazing. That, and, well, being in Italia.

intodogs

canonizer wrote:If you ordered from woot at eleven forty-eight/
there's nothing to say except you're too late.

(to be a rat)

edit: ok, i've passed before. i think i might have to grab it this time.

Actually I purchased at 12:15am central time. Way early enough to be considered to rat. First posting was right about then. However my poets mind was not in tip top shape. So there ya go.

wineman26

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wineman26

Not that it makes a difference (because everyone here has already showered this product with praise) but I ordered 2 AND gifted 2 more.

This is incredible stuff and while some may think it is expensive, it is not in comparison to the quality and the price is WAY better than you will find anywhere else.......

jhk6731

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhk6731

DAMN YOU WINE WOOT, your perpetually emptying my bank account. i should stop coming here....

gcdyersb

quality posts: 142 Private Messages gcdyersb
JanFP wrote:So many of us thought the same. I thought I was perfectly happy with my $11 bottle of balsamic. Thin, tangy, but good. But I've gone to the dark side of thick, gooey, sweet, aged.

Sounds like a Parker 99 pointer! More seriously, this stuff sounds really good.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

Veela

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Veela

If the big gold button said "I Want Ten" I would have clicked it.

Love this stuff, I just finished my first bottle, and now I don't feel so bad about opening the next.

And if I had my way with woot, the main picture would show the bottle spewing rainbows and kittens and stars. It's that good.

bkarney

Veela wrote:If the big gold button said "I Want Ten" I would have clicked it.

Love this stuff, I just finished my first bottle, and now I don't feel so bad about opening the next.

And if I had my way with woot, the main picture would show the bottle spewing rainbows and kittens and stars. It's that good.

Excellent first post!!

CT

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

Perfect birthday gift for my mother! Thanks, WD and WF!

And thanks to the handy-dandy gifting option which I used, I can still order one for me!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 259 Private Messages kylemittskus
gcdyersb wrote:Sounds like a Parker 99 pointer! More seriously, this stuff sounds really good.

So did you get some or what?

I'm concerned that my gift bottle may not be gifted because I'm greedy and selfish.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7

There isn't much I can say that hasn't already been said; this stuff is unbelievable. I bought just one last time, and I still have some left. I use it all the time. This may be the single best thing I have purchased on woot. In for two this time.

This with pears, strawberries, ice cream, tomatoes, bread, anything, is awesome. I am very glad Cavedoni decided to offer some more. I have been waiting.

JRuegg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JRuegg

I rarely look at wine.woot. Today I glanced. Not a single negative review or comment. Does that even happen on Woot forums?

You've made me insanely curious so now I've ordered some expensive vinegar.

jennyland

quality posts: 10 Private Messages jennyland

How does this item compare with, say, the balsamic vinegars available from Zingermann's?

197 Woots and counting (including 16 Basket of Chocolates)

globewalker

quality posts: 2 Private Messages globewalker

wow.. now I am curious..
we aren't chef's and never bought quality Blasamic.. but I understand quality and am really thinking about trying this..
Of course my wife already thinks I have a wine.woot habit...
although she doesn't mind partaking...
Maybe best to buy first and explain later.

bkarney

globewalker wrote:wow.. now I am curious..
we aren't chef's and never bought quality Blasamic.. but I understand quality and am really thinking about trying this..
Of course my wife already thinks I have a wine.woot habit...
although she doesn't mind partaking...
Maybe best to buy first and explain later.

as Grace would say, "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission"

CT

coursair

quality posts: 1 Private Messages coursair
Veela wrote:And if I had my way with woot, the main picture would show the bottle spewing rainbows and kittens and stars. It's that good.

Something like this maybe?

Thanks to Cornify.com!

Robotube

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Robotube
fivedozenwhales wrote:I've had this before, and can say without hyperbole that it is hard to keep myself from drinking it. It is that good.

You actually CAN drink this. It's not uncommon in Italy to conclude a meal by drinking a shot of fine Balsamico such as this, mostly due to its excellent digestive properties.

squeaks321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages squeaks321

I just checked the Woots by state map and concluded that I will never move to Idaho, Utah, New Mexico, Arkansas, Kentucky, or New Hampshire. Not enough foodies.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

already bouncing? wow!

CT | | | | | |

FatJ

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FatJ

Hmm... i am conflicted.

Adrian S Jones

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase

Some of you have asked about this Botte Piccola in comparison to balsamic vinegars classified as tradizionale. This is a really big subject, but I will give a short explanation here and direct you to an excellent article where you can read all about balsamic classifications.

The short answer is that Cavedoni Botte Piccola is not a tradizionale classified balsamic – and you wouldn’t want it to be, considering that we sell Cavedoni tradizionale wholesale to restaurants and specialty gourmet shops at the equivalent of $24/oz for a base tradizionale (it must be at least 12 years old; the Cavedoni we sell is 15) and $44/oz for an extravecchio tradizionale. (extravecchio = very old, and must be 25 years old; the Cavedoni we sell is 30 years old).

OK, that puts a 100 ml bottle on the retail shelf at $110 for the tradizionale and $210 for the extravecchio tradizionale. Notice I said 100 ml. Ouch! The Botte Piccola is 250 ml. No wonder the article referenced above states that “Tradizionale remains a curiosity for most consumers.” The Cavedoni tradizionale are also DOP certified, but that is another discussion.

Botte Piccola is a true “Aceto Balsamico di Modena” – Balsamic vinegar from Modena which falls into the general classification of industrial – or commercial balsamic. Here is where the consumer can get into real trouble. There production of tradizionale is very strictly controlled – see the details in the article, but not so for commercial balsamic. Even those made in Modena. They run the range from very inexpensive, poor quality stuff to very good high-quality vinegars.

The low end is very yucky tasting stuff made with lots of vinegar and additives like caramel for color, sugar for sweetness and thickening agents. When a waiter pours balsamic into the dish of olive oil on your table, this is what he is using – and by the way, the oil is lousy too, its bad quality masked by the sweet balsamic. Restaurants buy this concoction in plastic jugs for next to nothing and boil it down to use in salad dressing and glazes (yuck!).

The good quality balsamics which are under 12 years old are a completely different animal. They are made with integrity and no additives with the same care as the tradizionale. There are, however, still differences besides age. The most notable are that the initial cooking process (read the article) for the commercial balsamics is done at a higher temperature and for a longer period to give the sugar formation a jumpstart. And, second, the must (this is the pressed grape juice that starts the process – read the article for a good explanation) is combined with vinegar. For the tradizionale no vinegar is used. The key to quality control here is not over cooking, and the percentage of must to vinegar. The good stuff is made with a lot more must than vinegar.

So what is a consumer to do? It’s not easy, but you can start with reliable merchants and sources (like Wine.Woot!) and getting recommendations from trusted sources. Also, armed with thelittle bit of knowledge presented here, the bottle label also tells a lot. Don’t be fooled by how fancy it is.

For instance here is what you will learn on the Botte Piccola label:

• It is a real “Aceto Balsamico di Modena
  • The ingredients list contains only two ingredients: “Cooked grape must and wine vinegar,” and notice the order – very important – more must than vinegar.
  • From the neck tag: “Lic Min. API 53 MO.” I don’t know how anyone is supposed to know this, but that is assurance that the producer is an authentic member of the official consortium in Modena.
  • Also from the neck tag: Made only from Trebbiano grapes grown in the Modena region.

Just a word on Trebbiano. You probably know that this is a Spanish varietal. The grapes used in the production on balsamic are not from Spain. At some point long ago, I don’t know when, they were planted in the area around Modena. They are well suited to balsamic production because of their high sugar content. Botte Piccola is made only from Trebbiano, but traditionally Lambrusco is also used.

One last thing, if you read the article referenced above, you will see that tradizionale is aged in as many as five different types of wood barrels. Botte Piccola is aged only in oak, because that is what Paolo Cavedoni chooses to use for this product.

Sorry for the long post – so much for the “short answer!” Well, if you read all the way down here there is a bonus: if you are truly interested in a true tradizionale we will sell up to ten bottles of DOP 15 year Cavedoni to Wooters for $80 – our best wholesale price. Seems crazy & outrageous but it is a bargain for the aficionado. It is not on our website, so you will need to send us an email to info@casadecase.com, and only the first 10 can be honored because that is all we can spare from our inventory.

Enjoy the Vinegar!

Howard

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase

Age Restriction: A few folks have inquired if you need to be 21 years old to sign for this stuff: no alcohol in balsamic vinegar. So anyone can sign.

intodogs

Since this very fine offering is obviously going to sell out very quickly....can we please have another one before Sunday midnight? I would LOVE to have something sparkling (the kind you drink, not the kind you wear on your fingers)!!! This habit of buying on wine.woot is almost getting out of hand. Emphasis on almost....