kylemittskus

quality posts: 259 Private Messages kylemittskus
vegasgz wrote:Apologies for this FNG question but if I previously signed the labrat form, would I have to fill it out again for this purchase or am I permanently labrat eligible? Danko.

Cheers,
David

Once and for all, brother. Now cross your fingers.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

CasaDeCase

quality posts: 14 Private Messages CasaDeCase
kylemittskus wrote:Well damn you all for making me spend $75 on some vinegar!!!

How should I store this until Christmas? Cold in the fridge? In my wine cooler? Pantry?

Just on your shelf with the cork stopper on the bottle. It's pretty indestructible. For sure will last way past Christmas.

kylemittskus

CasaDeCase wrote:Just on your shelf with the cork stopper on the bottle. It's pretty indestructible. For sure will last way past Christmas.

Thank you friendly importer of expensive, but worth-while, gourmet vinegar!

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I wish I'd been a labrat during the Emergency Holiday Provisions debacle! I just read through the labrat comments and didn't find a single one mentioning the "dirty socks from the bottom of the laundry basket with eau de gym shorts, etc." that about 1 in 4 bottles had. Sure, 8 or 9 were great, but then those 3 or 4 bottles just about make me lose the contents of my previously ecstatic stomach. Woot never responded to my request for a refund/exchange either. sigh.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

kylemittskus

ckeilah wrote:I wish I'd been a labrat during the Emergency Holiday Provisions debacle! I just read through the labrat comments and didn't find a single one mentioning the "dirty socks from the bottom of the laundry basket with eau de gym shorts, etc." that about 1 in 4 bottles had. Sure, 8 or 9 were great, but then those 3 or 4 bottles just about make me lose the contents of my previously ecstatic stomach. Woot never responded to my request for a refund/exchange either. sigh.

No refund or exchange because it was soooo long ago ad I'm sure they are well out by now. And many of us have discussed these "bad bottles" in length. It leaps into the vacuum that they were there at all but we're over it. You should get over it with us.

MannyLaMancha

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MannyLaMancha

Does anyone else think the picture of the guy inside the box looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World from the Dos Equis commercials?

winefarm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages winefarm
MannyLaMancha wrote:Does anyone else think the picture of the guy inside the box looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World from the Dos Equis commercials?

It is.

insurgent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages insurgent

The closest you will ever got to awesomesauce in a bottle. Be sure to try it on ice cream. Delicious!

jschacht

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jschacht

We loved this so much the first time around, we bought a whole slew of them for gifts the second time we saw it. (Plus two more for ourselves.) Might be time to buy more.

I would say, compared to the best balsamico "tradizionale" we purchased in Modena, this is not quite as viscous and insanely flavorful.

But it's darned good, and better than anything I've seen at (or near) this price point in the U.S.

Well worth the splurge, and a lovely and impressive gift.

kmtisme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmtisme

I bought 3 bottles in a previous woot offering last year. This stuff is great. Makes a great gift (for others or yourself).

penlight

quality posts: 3 Private Messages penlight

I live where this stuff is made and it's awesome. You can use this on almost anything! I makes a great marinade. They make some here in blueberry and strawberry that you could almost put on ice cream (gelato). This is well worth this small price.

sweetjezka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweetjezka

surprised that the foodie in me submitted to wine.woot before the wino in me did.. and at 4 am at that. perhaps dropping cash on gourmet vinegar isn't wise at this hour? heh.

excited to try it- and will be glad to share what i do with it if lucky enough to be a rat!

gokal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gokal

i know this question has been asked but i just wanted to clarify that if i am under 21 i can get this and the shipping handlers wont ask me if i am 21 or not right ?

Ragnarok043

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Ragnarok043

got 1 last woot, definitely worth it. whether its for yourself or a present you cant go wrong with it. like everybody mentioned, i cant believe how good it is with vanilla ice cream. you'll find yourself being carefully stingy making sure to not waste a single drop licking the bowl clean.

OmniOne

quality posts: 6 Private Messages OmniOne

Will this go well with strawberries or ice cream?

*sarcasm*

All joking aside, any other suggestions? Apéritif? Digestif? Something else?

Zia Lia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Zia Lia

What rating does this have? In Italy, balsamics are certified by del Centro Studi e Formazione Assaggiatori (CSQA) on a scale of 1-4 leaves. The more leaves, the better the stuff.

Where does this fall?

una foglia = 1 leaf (red identifying label)
due foglia = 2 leaves (silver identifying label)
tre foglie = 3 leaves (gold identifying label)
quattro foglie = 4 leaves (black identifying label)

stebs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stebs

Has anyone here ever had both this balsamic AND the 18-year-old balsamic from Leroux Kitchen? Just wondering how they would compare, since I've had the Leroux stuff and absolutely loved it (drink it straight, strawberries, ice cream, etc)...

Thanks!

Neophyte Oenophile Extraordinaire

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

In for 2 since I think Cesare & kktest might be bummed they missed this. Good to have an extra just in case.
(yeah, I watch me woot peeps backs )

shashy69

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shashy69

is it kind of thick and syrupy?? i have been trying to find some that i had yrs ago and it was sooo good...

Chuud0ku

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Chuud0ku

I was just saying how much I would like some good balsamic. Woot you are my hero!

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

How good is this deal?

Info is pretty much the same as last year. As is the fact that there does not appear to be a direct-from-manufacturer web-site to use for retail price comparison.

A quick Google search, though, turned up several sites selling this for $75.00. Another was selling it for considerably less, and that is the site I used for this offer's comparison. You may very well find other offers out there, but this ought to do for now.

Click the link above for full discount details.

CT | | | | | |

kogaku

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kogaku

A bit rich for my blood. Well, that is, I am stumbling into my seventh decade of what passes for a life, yet, I'm not ready to have my wife kill me over the purchase of a bottle of vinegar. ;)

So, going out on a limb and assuming that no one will take pity on me and send me one gratis, for my health, so to speak, I offer up a modest proposal to The Chief Woot:

How about something for those of us of modest means who nevertheless do enjoy a spot of flavor on occasion?

What I am thinking of is the sale of some HP Sauce (Canadian or U.K. provenance, NOT the "domestic blend" by L&P which is NOT the same thing at all, and, costs quite a bit more, in my experience).

As I get older (and have become more rural), I find it harder and harder to find friends visiting CA or UK, and prevailing upon them to "bring me back just a FEW bottles" -- and, likewise, as Woot has put a serious crimp on my Ebay purchases, it's been a LONG time since I've made any purchases from Canadian sellers, and thus had opportunity to plead with them to toss a few bottles (and the cost) into the box before sending it down here to the states. (Ah, the joys of opening a big crate and finding a large format view camera AND a few bottles of HP Sauce!)

If, by some surreal set of circumstances, this beg-a-thon DOES gain some traction at Planet Woot, then I would 'humbly plead for the sale to either be restricted to -- or, include -- the "traditional" (AKA "normal" or "plain") HP Sauce (rather than "Spicy" or "Fruity" or "Bold" or any of the other "HP-come-lately" varieties.

For those of you who live in Canada, and bemoan your ongoing inability to purchase from Woot... enjoy your revenge. We in the states are unable to enjoy the ready supply of this bottle of flavor which you undoubtedly take for granted, what with it being in every supermarket (at modest prices!) and on nearly every restaurant table (at least as common as ketchup is in this country).

And for those of you wondering "just what the bleepin' hell IS this 'HP Sauce' of which he speaks?" I'll simply suggest that you scour the "specialty" shelves of your local grocery stores -- you MAY be able to find a bottle imported from the U.K.

for the past year or two I've seen them on occasion -- perhaps L&P no longer has the USA franchise? If so, good riddance! They certainly didn't MARKET the product with any serious result -- instead of USABLE sized bottles, at REASONABLE prices, they sold it in TINY bottles with HIGH prices -- and, to my palate, it seemed too sweet, with less flavor.

Imagine only being able to find ketchup in tiny bottles at several dollars per -- and having the product being too sweet with less flavor.

(Ketchup DOES have its place -- it's indispensible on french fries, for example.)

And, if anyhone tells you, "Aw, what's the big deal, just get a bottle of A1 sauce" then ask them if they'd consider (if a wine drinker) giving up their favorite varieties and instead "just pick up a few bottles of Ripple" (or Twist or Boon's Farm or some other [I'll leave the adjectives up to your imagination].

There is NOTHING like real HP on vzrious foods. I find it hard to eat eggs without HP. Of course, it's only been about 40 years since I discovered it (visiting British friends living in Toronto), so it's probably just a passing fad with me.

I'm sure the Buyer(s) at Woot CAN find a deal on a consignment of HP Sauce if they keep their eyes open. Hopefully they will, some day soon.

(If you do, please promote it on the main site LOUDLY ;) I don't check here very often. I used to enjoy a nice glass of wine on occasion, but my body can no longer tolerate any alcohol at all (spinal damage which causes near-instant migraines upon the ingestion of any adult beverage.)

purplediamond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purplediamond

I bought two bottles last time this was on woot! and it is the best balsamic vinegar I have ever had, it's also the most expensive one, but it's worth it

My latest favorite use for it is on pan-seared watermelon steak - http://www.daytimetalk.com/2008/07/29/grilled-watermelon-steak-for-dinner/

To answer a question that was asked a few posts before mine: Yes, it is kind of syrupy and thick.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

What's with the limit of two?

rcd582

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcd582

Costco has a fantastic Italian Balsamic Vinegar from the controlled region in Italy for $11 per fifth. It is so good that everyone I recommend it to can't get enough of it.

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70

For obvious reasons I would never consider asking the following question for the wines, but with vinegar I'd like to know if it can be shipped APO or is this going ground? Thanks in advance.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."- Isaac Newton

zmanonice

quality posts: 22 Private Messages zmanonice

Yay! We've been waiting for this offer to come back around again. Everybody in our family loved it so much, it only lasted two months. Went to the web site and it wasn't available to order more.

Our favorite way to use it is to dribble it over steamed vegetables. A little bit goes a long way. Tried the strawberries and ice cream too which went verynicely. The little pourer really helps too.

Tried to find a comparable product in the local stores and they were either overpriced compared to this offer or much more runny. Costco is nice for everyday, mixing type use, but doesn't compare to this.

Also, the box presentation is very nice. Make sure you click on the image. Would make a great gift for your foodie friends or relatives.

In for two this time.

Z

Shameless plug - in before the rat deadline

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez

Last wooter to woot: deaconbluez

I didn't get this last time because I thought: "who the hell would pay $40 for a freakin' bottle of balsamic vinegar?"

After reading all the things everyone has posted about this, I'm willing to try this with an open mind. Rat me, WD, make me a believer!

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

Diorules

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Diorules

I got this stuff for a friend for Christmas and after tasting it, I wish I would have gotten it for myself as well. A great buy, this is really good vinegar.

Kota6284

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kota6284

It appears as though there is someone from Casa de Casa here in the forums so I have a question, the Cavedoni website says:

"Nasce dalla famosa uva trebbiano di Spagna."
in english "born from the famous trebbiano grape of Spain"

I was wondering if this means that it is using Spanish grapes instead of Italian grapes and simply made in Modena and that is why it does not have D.O.P. or "Tradizionale" status?

Second question being if this is using Spanish grapes are they treated in the same way that the grapes from Modena are treated in the Cavedoni DOP vinegars? That is my impression from reading the description on the Cavedoni website.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
damightyanteater wrote:I store mine in the fridge with saran wrap over the top (cork broke).

You can get replacement corks with or without a wooden top grip. Bed, Bath & Beyond carries them too - I think their set is like $8 for 6. Or just use a wine bottle stopper. Mine broke too, and I just put one of my better stoppers in it and it's been fine.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

datafox1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages datafox1

I was sad missed the first offer as I have never had some of the good stuff. I am glad I got in on this one.

Being summer there is a wealth of fruits to enjoy with this.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
gokal wrote:i know this question has been asked but i just wanted to clarify that if i am under 21 i can get this and the shipping handlers wont ask me if i am 21 or not right ?

That would be correct. You don't have to be 21 to enjoy this lovely vinegar

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ThyZad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ThyZad

way to lie to us Woot. in fact, you can get a lot more flies with vinegar than honey.

http://xkcd.com/357/

thecar761

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thecar761

Thanks to everyone for the comments on this offering. Also, I'm happy to note the absence of the usual "this is WINE woot not FOOD woot" comments.

I'm in for a couple and would love to rat. If that happens and it lives up to the hype, I will still have time to gift a couple.

winegeek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages winegeek

This really is amazing stuff! I bought it for the same price, year before last maybe, and have stored it in the fridge, using it only for the right times... if you are a balsamic fan, I would not hesitate to buy some of this stuff; it's just that good.

woot to your mother!

jlundste

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlundste

in and happy to rat!

davisryan

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davisryan

In for 2 and registered to rat. I'm actually going to Italy in October, but with the Euro exchange rate I think it would be hard to beat this price.

Kota6284

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Kota6284
davisryan wrote:In for 2 and registered to rat. I'm actually going to Italy in October, but with the Euro exchange rate I think it would be hard to beat this price.

I have not had this vinegar (will probable be in on this offer though), but in my experience in Italy last semester quality vinegar was not cheap (at least 30 Euros in Florence). Henceforth, if this is as good as everyone is saying then it would in fact be quite a deal even in Italy.

rlrct

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rlrct

I'm in. Missed it the last time. Available to rat.