bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

I'd love to sign up for the 2012 Tour(s)!!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

We're interested in the 2012 tours, but will wait for the official threads.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:We're interested in the 2012 tours, but will wait for the official threads.

+1

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Might I make a suggestion regarding the fact that there are 2 tours potentially... Just sign up for one of them. As awesome as it would be to do both tours back to back, why not just sign up for one so that as many people as possible are able to join in? That way we don't end up having both tours full of the same people, thus pretty much negating the whole two-tour thing in the first place.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Might I make a suggestion regarding the fact that there are 2 tours potentially... Just sign up for one of them. As awesome as it would be to do both tours back to back, why not just sign up for one so that as many people as possible are able to join in? That way we don't end up having both tours full of the same people, thus pretty much negating the whole two-tour thing in the first place.

I believe that RPM indicated that one tour would be limited to rookies (i.e., WW'ers that haven't been on a tour at all) and that the other would be open to previous touristas.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm
MarkDaSpark wrote:I believe that RPM indicated that one tour would be limited to rookies (i.e., WW'ers that haven't been on a tour at all) and that the other would be open to previous touristas.

That is the plan. The idea is that we'd like to do something as close to the original 2008 tour as possible for those who have not done a tour - to give the broad historical perspective the initial Touristas received. And, then, using the 2010 tour as a very loose model, to have a second tour with a particular theme, perhaps in more depth than the original tour.

Woop and I are in discussions. Updates should be posted within another week or so.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm going to try really hard to make the tour. Sadly I'm guessing I should do the newbie tour, but I will be sad, because pretty much everyone I know on woot will be on the other tour.

cheron98

MarkDaSpark wrote:I believe that RPM indicated that one tour would be limited to rookies (i.e., WW'ers that haven't been on a tour at all) and that the other would be open to previous touristas.

Yeah, I know. Just been seeing a lot of "Sign me up for BOTH tours!" posts and was trying to gently nudge people not to do that

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
tiger7610 wrote:I'm going to try really hard to make the tour. Sadly I'm guessing I should do the newbie tour, but I will be sad, because pretty much everyone I know on woot will be on the other tour.

I would bet that RPM will overlap, and that lunches and dinners and after hours stuff will be inclusive of all...could be wrong, but that'd be lots more fun!

Edit: Maybe not after reading above...seems he might be thinking separate dates...can't spread an RPM too thin!

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

cheron98

gregorylane wrote:I would bet that RPM will overlap, and that lunches and dinners and after hours stuff will be inclusive of all...could be wrong, but that'd be lots more fun!

Edit: Maybe not after reading above...seems he might be thinking separate dates...can't spread an RPM too thin!

It would be difficult for him to do the two tours simultaneously. The tour is magical, but not quite THAT magical. Still can't be in two places at once

rpm

cheron98 wrote:Yeah, I know. Just been seeing a lot of "Sign me up for BOTH tours!" posts and was trying to gently nudge people not to do that

I agree - there will probably be some overlap between the two tours, and I think it's important for those who are newer to wine woot (or just the tours) not to be overawed or intimidated by the veterans. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I would want to consider veterans who want to do both tours on a case-by-case basis.

In the beginning tour, I will be much more of a teacher sharing my accumulated knowledge - as in the very first tour - but in the specialized/advanced tour, I will assume more knowledge and experience in tasting on the part of tourists (but we'll start off with a refresher at the opening reception) and be more of a 'senior colleague' conducting research with a group of colleagues whose experiences have been different from mine.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
rpm wrote:I agree - there will probably be some overlap between the two tours, and I think it's important for those who are newer to wine woot (or just the tours) not to be overawed or intimidated by the veterans. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I would want to consider veterans who want to do both tours on a case-by-case basis.

In the beginning tour, I will be much more of a teacher sharing my accumulated knowledge - as in the very first tour - but in the specialized/advanced tour, I will assume more knowledge and experience in tasting on the part of tourists (but we'll start off with a refresher at the opening reception) and be more of a 'senior colleague' conducting research with a group of colleagues whose experiences have been different from mine.

I like the concepts. First tour was an excellent learning experience. Don't want to repeat, but build on it.

Since you are on here, hope you did well with the storm and kept power.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
rpm wrote:I agree - there will probably be some overlap between the two tours, and I think it's important for those who are newer to wine woot (or just the tours) not to be overawed or intimidated by the veterans. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but I would want to consider veterans who want to do both tours on a case-by-case basis.

Do you think you might be ready to start the new thread for signups & figuring out the dates soon? With having to purchase flights and making sure requested vacation days are approved, the sooner the better. There have been many flight deals & specials that I've already missed out on because I haven't been able to purchase the tickets yet.
At least knowing the dates of the tours is the important part.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Any update on potential dates?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

bahwm wrote:Any update on potential dates?

Aren't you married?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
MarkDaSpark wrote:Aren't you married?

Maybe somebody gives a fig!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:Aren't you married?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
bahwm wrote:Any update on potential dates?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

We're trying to make some travel plans for the summer, and would really like to have some idea of when or if there will be a tour of Napa and Sonoma that we could fit into our plans. If progress is being made, it would be nice to know that. If not, and there isn't any realistic hope, it would be nice to know that, too. The longer we wait to make our own arrangements, the more expensive things tend to get, and we really don't want to be shut out of an opportunity to get together with our good friends for another tour experience, but frankly, we can't afford to wait much longer to act on plans to visit our friend in Spain this summer.
We've been promised repeatedly that more information would be forthcoming "soon."
It's time.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

ddeuddeg wrote:We're trying to make some travel plans for the summer, and would really like to have some idea of when or if there will be a tour of Napa and Sonoma that we could fit into our plans. If progress is being made, it would be nice to know that. If not, and there isn't any realistic hope, it would be nice to know that, too. The longer we wait to make our own arrangements, the more expensive things tend to get, and we really don't want to be shut out of an opportunity to get together with our good friends for another tour experience, but frankly, we can't afford to wait much longer to act on plans to visit our friend in Spain this summer.
We've been promised repeatedly that more information would be forthcoming "soon."
It's time.

I'll keep trying until I get some kind of response. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know.

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:I'll keep trying until I get some kind of response. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know.

You're not. I have points to use for a flight, but I can't book the flight until we have the dates, and the less lead time we have for dates, the fewer options there are for booking. Le sigh.

rpm

Expect an anoucement soon.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MarkDaSpark

rpm wrote:Expect an annoucement soon.