polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:This is an interesting system of accounting you use. In many homes, if LW isn't going, there's no airfare, etc. set aside to spend on other things. All you get is your own budget.

It is sort of like -- At 20% off, I can save more if I spend more.

And as you know, it will be more like "If you spend X on an rpm tour, I can spend that much on the house/garden/etc."

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
ddeuddeg wrote:Watch for the thread, and get in line quickly. Those who have been on either of the first two Tours will tell you that:
1) They are a blast!
2) You learn a lot, and taste a lot of really excellent wine.
3) Wooters are definitely "cool people."

Bahwm and I managed to go on both tours, and look forward to the next one.

We were all new once, and many of us enjoy getting together with other wooters to expand our horizons. Where are you located? There may be a wine.woot tasting event nearby.

I guess this means that we're planning on the next tour!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
rpm wrote:Look for the 2012 Magical History Tours thread coming soon.

This time, I'm going to try to do two Tours - essentially back to back:

Tour 1 - Mostly for those who have not been on Tour before, should be very similar to the 2008 Tour.

Tour 2 - For those who have already enjoyed a Tour (including participants in Tour 1 who are gluttons for 'punishment') - Tour 2 will be much more concentrated on one or two varietals in one area: possibilities include Napa Cabernet; Chardonnay, etc. With appropriate digressions.

And what about you and SWMBO taking a break in So Cal in August 2012 for birthday?

--- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
rpm wrote:Keep your eye out for the thread, which will be started relatively soon; perhaps in a week or so, or perhaps not until after Labor Day - some people complained last time the queue filled up while people were on vacation. As soon as it opens, post your commitment: that will get you a tentative spot. I may tentatively list the people who have queued up here on this thread and give them a short period to affirm their commitment. (In which case you've done the first step, keep watching though).

All of those commitments will be tentative. Once we have things a bit firmer, we will take deposits. There will be a period within which to get that in. If someone doesn't get their deposit in on time, they will lose their spot and move to the back of the waiting list.

This answers my question...I'll queue up here for the beginners tour, and again when necessary.

rpm

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rpm
zTimothyBz wrote:And what about you and SWMBO taking a break in So Cal in August 2012 for birthday?

--- T

hmmmmm, I'd like to. Dunno if it'll work. We'll see.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

SJCwineaux

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SJCwineaux
rpm wrote:... I may tentatively list the people who have queued up here on this thread and give them a short period to affirm their commitment....

Well, in that case I'll quit just watching and voice interest in the beginners tour. (Hopefully with +1. Of course depending on timing, etc.)

Thanks!

Got to remember: Buy less, drink more!

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
rpm wrote:hmmmmm, I'd like to. Dunno if it'll work. We'll see.

But, but, but who else could pour the 1862 Madeira while saying "For those of you who remember the American Civil War..."

--- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

[quote postid="4575288" user="rpm"] I may tentatively list the people who have queued up here on this thread and give them a short period to affirm their commitment. (In which case you've done the first step, keep watching though).

Sounds great. I shall keep my eye on the ball!

Is it broke or just fractured?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I definitively want to be on that list +1. Hopefully this will give me a week's leeway in case I miss the thread when it starts. I wouldn't want to miss something like this.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
JOATMON wrote:I'm in +1 for both tours. I just hope they are not scheduled during a business trip...

My July 2012 meeting in San Diego is July 15-20, so I'm putting it out to the wide world to not have the tour then.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

I have a question of etiquette for the tour...

Last time, I brought a Madeira to share at the dinner. Madeira, however, is not a California wine, much less a wine of the region we tour.

Was that out of line? I keep thinking about it, and I keep wondering if I shouldn't have...

(as of 2011-03-02)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
JOATMON wrote:My July 2012 meeting in San Diego is July 15-20, so I'm putting it out to the wide world to not have the tour then.

The other two tours began on Sunday with a get-acquainted gathering, around July 20th. If that pattern were followed next year, the best bet would be Sunday, 7/22. One complicating factor, among many, is the plan for having 2 tours back-to-back.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

JOATMON wrote:I have a question of etiquette for the tour...

Last time, I brought a Madeira to share at the dinner. Madeira, however, is not a California wine, much less a wine of the region we tour.

Was that out of line? I keep thinking about it, and I keep wondering if I shouldn't have...

Was there a storm of protest? Did anyone refuse to drink it because it didn't fit the theme? In July 2008, nematic brought some wine from one of the NY wineries where he was working at the time, and no one complained about that, either. Sleep well tonight, with a clear conscience. Just my 2¢.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

rpm

JOATMON wrote:I have a question of etiquette for the tour...

No, you were not out of line. You were a generous friend sharing a treasure with old friends and new whom you knew would appreciate and value the gift.

Can't ask for much more from a friend.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

ddeuddeg wrote:Was there a storm of protest? Did anyone refuse to drink it because it didn't fit the theme? In July 2008, nematic brought some wine from one of the NY wineries where he was working at the time, and no one complained about that, either. Sleep well tonight, with a clear conscience. Just my 2¢.

Correct. And everyone who tasted those NY wines enjoyed them. I, for one, was glad he brought them.

If someone brought a fully aged Burgundy to taste along with aged (really good) Pinot or a 1st Growth Bordeaux to taste with a Cab of equal vintage (there are a few years where they were pretty close in quality), that would be fabulous.

Learning through all the senses - seeing the area, hearing the history, and drinking the wines - and having fun at it, is my motto for the Tours.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ddeuddeg

rpm wrote:No, you were not out of line. You were a generous friend sharing a treasure with old friends and new whom you knew would appreciate and value the gift.

Amen.

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
rpm wrote:No, you were not out of line. You were a generous friend sharing a treasure with old friends and new whom you knew would appreciate and value the gift.

+1 in spades Joatmon...incredibly generous & a story I have told umpteen times!

Added: IIRC, the older of the two came with a very interesting tale of the Vineyard being a moraine field at the base of a cliff in the Mediterranean...accessible only by boat. This was maintained by the original Vintners Family for many years. That was a great story! I often wonder about the satisfaction one could take away from producing a drink that won't be ready until your great grand children are 21!

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49

RPM, if you are someone else is keeping score or taking names, please include Anne and I on the list for Tour 2. I think Anne has sufficiently expanded her knowledge of wine since the last tour (I know she has expanded her drinking capacity) to not feel overwhelmed by it all, as she might have been last year.

bahwm

txmusicman49 wrote:RPM, if you are someone else is keeping score or taking names, please include Anne and I on the list for Tour 2. I think Anne has sufficiently expanded her knowledge of wine since the last tour (I know she has expanded her drinking capacity) to not feel overwhelmed by it all, as she might have been last year.

Nice to see that you are still around woot! We've been missing you! I believe Anne was interested in our local Garden Walk tote bag. The Garden Walk was this past weekend and a lot of fun! They still have the green one available here in case she's still interested. Personally, I think it is nicer than the others.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49
bahwm wrote:Nice to see that you are still around woot! We've been missing you! I believe Anne was interested in our local Garden Walk tote bag. The Garden Walk was this past weekend and a lot of fun! They still have the green one available here in case she's still interested. Personally, I think it is nicer than the others.

Thanks - I just ordered her a tote bag, might save it for a Christmas present, but probably just give it to her for no reason. She really wants to visit Ireland next year but a WW Tour would be very difficult to pass up. Not sure if we can do both or not, depending on timing, etc.

bahwm

txmusicman49 wrote:Thanks - I just ordered her a tote bag, might save it for a Christmas present, but probably just give it to her for no reason. She really wants to visit Ireland next year but a WW Tour would be very difficult to pass up. Not sure if we can do both or not, depending on timing, etc.

Wow! That was quick! Glad to be of service!

klezman

quality posts: 126 Private Messages klezman

+100

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

JOATMON

gregorylane wrote:+1 in spades Joatmon...incredibly generous & a story I have told umpteen times!

Added: IIRC, the older of the two came with a very interesting tale of the Vineyard being a moraine field at the base of a cliff in the Mediterranean...accessible only by boat. This was maintained by the original Vintners Family for many years. That was a great story! I often wonder about the satisfaction one could take away from producing a drink that won't be ready until your great grand children are 21!

Well, close.

The gravel and dirt field, named Fajã dos Padres, is at the base of one of the biggest sea cliffs in the world, on the island of Madeira, off the west coast of Africa. The field has been used for crops for centuries, even when the only way to get to it was by boat.

The grape vines disappeared at some point in the past, but have been recently reintroduced. The land is still being used for other crops. Plus, there is now a glass elevator to get from the top to the bottom.

It even has it's own website.

(as of 2011-03-02)

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
JOATMON wrote:Well, close.

The gravel and dirt field, named Fajã dos Padres, is at the base of one of the biggest sea cliffs in the world, on the island of Madeira, off the west coast of Africa. The field has been used for crops for centuries, even when the only way to get to it was by boat.

The grape vines disappeared at some point in the past, but have been recently reintroduced. The land is still being used for other crops. Plus, there is now a glass elevator to get from the top to the bottom.

It even has it's own website.

That looks pretty neat. I am still amazed by Madeira growers...I'm sure they can taste their efforts somewhat along the way, but knowing your art won't be fully appreciated for 100+ years is...I don't know, maybe the essence of patience. Hard to slap a dead dude on the back and give him an "atta-boy". Just have to compliment a descendant.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
gregorylane wrote:Hard to slap a dead dude on the back and give him an "atta-boy".

Sounds like something from an Evil Dead movie.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

+1 +1 +1

I considered it a tremendous experience, to taste something I had only read about, but never had the chance to try.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink

Man, you just blink and who knows what you miss. Well, put the Blinks (2) on the list, or the waitlist, or the list to get on the waitlist. That would be for tour 2.

Thank you very much. And look forward to seeing everone.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
UBlink wrote:Man, you just blink and who knows what you miss. Well, put the Blinks (2) on the list, or the waitlist, or the list to get on the waitlist. That would be for tour 2.

Thank you very much. And look forward to seeing everone.

We have to wait for the actual thread. In which HaK will end up last on all lists.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Cesare

quality posts: 1644 Private Messages Cesare
MarkDaSpark wrote:We have to wait for the actual thread. In which HaK will end up last on all lists.

Ha! But he will get in at the last minute. Right?
Anyone else who posts to get on the list in this thread gets on the blacklist :p

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Cesare wrote:Ha! But he will get in at the last minute. Right?
Anyone else who posts to get on the list in this thread gets on the blacklist :p

He already claimed spots 1&2 for us for tour 2 only

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:We have to wait for the actual thread.

This seems at variance with:

rpm wrote:Keep your eye out for the thread, which will be started relatively soon; perhaps in a week or so, or perhaps not until after Labor Day - some people complained last time the queue filled up while people were on vacation. As soon as it opens, post your commitment: that will get you a tentative spot. I may tentatively list the people who have queued up here on this thread and give them a short period to affirm their commitment. (In which case you've done the first step, keep watching though).

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:He already claimed spots 1&2 for us for tour 2 only

Pending instructor's approval.

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl

SO I am first in line right? Last one to post is first in line, isn't that how it works? Would love to do a tour after reading about the last one and buying (and drinking) too much wine this year.

rpm

dstearl wrote:SO I am first in line right? Last one to post is first in line, isn't that how it works? Would love to do a tour after reading about the last one and buying (and drinking) too much wine this year.

Nice try.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Michelle and I are very interested, as always it comes down to timing and whatever our money situation looks like when the details come out.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Any chance for some sort of update anytime soon?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Any chance for some sort of update anytime soon?

I second this request.

dstearl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dstearl
CAGrl wrote:I second this request.

Since rpm stated that the last person to post is first in line I am just keeping my space reserved!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
dstearl wrote:Since rpm stated that the last person to post is first in line I am just keeping my space reserved!

Nope!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

I've wanted to go on the past WW tours but scheduling interfered.

Please put me on both trip lists for myself and another family member (also a wine.wooter).

If any firm dates for the trips(s) have already been selected, I must have missed them in hurriedly catching up on this thread.

I am traveling from the East Coast to the greater San Francisco area for a conference June 12/13-17. It would be nice bit of timing if somehow the dates selected for one or both of the WW trip(s) work out to be close to but not overlapping that period.

Going to be fun!!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker