wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
gregorylane wrote:You tell 'em!

Hereabouts we consider ourselves the Gold Coast...don't even go to Florida's eastern side (except South Beach...Woohooo!). However...we think of ourselves as "the west coast", and Cali,Oregon and Washington as "the LEFT coast".

Not much to argue about there.

[joke] Ever heard that California is a lower elevation than the rest of the country?
After all, fruits and nuts roll down hill!
[/joke] (insert cheezy rimshot)

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm

Our tour wine arrived today in Buffalo! Yeah! Everything is fine and cool, no leaks. Our Gun Bun 6 bottle bag with handles is in good condition. I am so happy that this wine is in the house before we leave for Sip "N Sail! Gave our fav driver something special that was already in the house. He was thrilled! Poor guy, he really had to work for this delivery!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg

To quote a famous philosopher: Our Tour Wine arrived today. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
What a coincidence: Based on well-regarded rumors that arrival was imminent, I actually had the phone in my hand, about to call our FedEx buddy to tell him not to leave it tomorrow, when I looked out the window, and there was his truck at the end of our driveway.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

wkdpanda wrote:(insert cheezy rimshot)

Your wish is my command.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

winetrancer wrote:someone takes YOU serious?

Looking for pillow to laugh into, composing myself now... OF COURSE they do!

Careful out there. Some of us aren't fooled by those screen names, and know perfectly well that's your DH you're messin' with.

txmusicman49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49

As already stated earlier and ever more eloquently, our tour wine arrived today on the 3rd Coast (Texas to the uninformed)and all appears well. Thanks WD39, brother George and all of the shipping staff at Wine Country Connect. It was well worth the wait.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Bah my wine didn't come yet!

Thankfully I should be around all afternoon tomorrow for FedEx...

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mother wrote:Bah my wine didn't come yet!

I was kinda hoping mine would come today, since if it comes tomorrow that means I need to either leave it in my office all weekend or leave it in my car from 5pm til late at night. I suppose the evening shouldn't be too hot for it to sit in the car that long?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ddeuddeg

mother wrote:Bah my wine didn't come yet!

But what are you doing the next day? Not too far down the road, there's a nice sipping/sailing opportunity. I'm sure you'd be welcomed with open arms.

ddeuddeg

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I suppose the evening shouldn't be too hot for it to sit in the car that long?

Should be OK. Try to park in the shade, I suppose, but it doesn't get much hotter in the trunk than outdoor temp.

Cesare

quality posts: 1642 Private Messages Cesare
ddeuddeg wrote:Should be OK. Try to park in the shade, I suppose, but it doesn't get much hotter in the trunk than outdoor temp.

My wine just came. You get to keep an eye on it this weekend.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Got my "woot loot" today. Yikes - did I really buy all that wine? My kids thought it was hilarious that I remembered each of the wines as I brought it out of the box(es). They have no idea what a wine addiction is like.....

Thanks to WD and all of the woot crew for handling the shipping in their inimitable style. When I went to FedEx to pick up my seven boxes, the guy who brought them out asked if he could come to the party.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
gregorylane wrote:You tell 'em!

Hereabouts we consider ourselves the Gold Coast...don't even go to Florida's eastern side (except South Beach...Woohooo!). However...we think of ourselves as "the west coast", and Cali,Oregon and Washington as "the LEFT coast".

Not much to argue about there.

On no, gold coast is old coast,Cocoa Beach is where its at!Some of the worlds best surfers!

gregorylane

quality posts: 15 Private Messages gregorylane
ERMD wrote:On no, gold coast is old coast,Cocoa Beach is where its at!Some of the worlds best surfers!

Hah! Some of the best surfers in the world LEAVE there to go find real waves!

Ron Jon and Stuckeys' Pecan Logs is all Cocoa is about now...and when the big O shuts down the Space Center, Stuckeys' is leaving.

BTW, KR's Cab Franc is extraordinary.

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

gregorylane

[quote postid="4093555" user="ddeuddeg"]To quote a famous philosopher: Our Tour Wine arrived today. O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!
{snip}

Whoa! People on glass toilets shouldn't pass stones.

Edit (I'm serious here!): my snipper is busted!

There is really no point in trying to explain liberty to people who don't understand what it means.
rpm-2012

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
gregorylane wrote:
Whoa! People on glass toilets shouldn't pass stones.

Edit (I'm serious here!): my snipper is busted!

That's gotta hurt

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n

So, when's the list getting started for next year as I would like to add myself +1? The "see you next year?" in the title suggests that it may happen again.
-Pengu1n

ddeuddeg

pengu1n wrote:So, when's the list getting started for next year as I would like to add myself +1? The "see you next year?" in the title suggests that it may happen again.
-Pengu1n

But the question mark after next suggests that it may not be quite that soon. Maybe 2012. And you can bet that after the number of last minute dropouts, leaving those who went on the tour to pick up additional costs, there will probably be some sort of a (non-refundable) deposit required to get on the list. After all, that's standard practice in the travel industry.

rpm

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rpm
ddeuddeg wrote:But the question mark after next suggests that it may not be quite that soon. Maybe 2012. And you can bet that after the number of last minute dropouts, leaving those who went on the tour to pick up additional costs, there will probably be some sort of a (non-refundable) deposit required to get on the list. After all, that's standard practice in the travel industry.

We'll be thinking about when and what we'll do over the next few weeks, and I'll post something by mid-September.

I think there will be a $100 nonrefundable initial deposit to get a confirmed place on the list. That $100 will be nonrefundable for any reason.

I'll start the list first come first served, but I'll rearrange the order into the order initial deposits actually arrive.

Then, there will be an additional deposit in an amount to be determined, I'm currently thinking ~$250-350, due by year end to keep your place. That deposit will be refundable if you spot can be filled from the waiting list if any)

While final plans for the tour details will not sort out by year end, we'll have dates, probably the hotel, and more details before that second deposit is due.

Our goal will be to have final costs out to people by late April or early May - erring a little high if we have to so there are no surprises later. Once that estimate goes out, you'll have a couple of weeks to get payment in.

If payment doesn't arrive when due, we go to the next person on the list, who will then have the opportunity.

All deposits except the initial $100 will be refundable if your spot is filled from the waiting list, but only when the person on the waiting list pays. We haven't decided whether to have the new person pay us, and refund the drop-out, or have the new person pay the drop-out, who will then confirm to us X has purchased the drop-out's spot(s). The latter will be less work for us - we'd rather spend the time we have to invest in the trip on the plan and arrangements than on bookkeeping.

I'll keep the deposits in my (noninterst bearing, sorry) attorney's trustee account, so there is no co-mingling with anyone's personal funds.

I am thinking that, as much as I absolutely loved this Summer's Tour, filled with old friends and new, I would like to either (1) have a tour primarily for New Tourists or (2) have two back-to-back Tours, one with the more purely historical/basic educational theme for New Tourists and a second Tour for veterans of one or more of the Tours to explore one or more particular areas or wines or themes.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

wkdpanda wrote:[joke] Ever heard that California is a lower elevation than the rest of the country?
After all, fruits and nuts roll down hill!
[/joke] (insert cheezy rimshot)

That's actually about Southern California - God picked up the US by holding onto Baja and shaking, and the fruits and nuts all ended up in Southern California -- which was major league flakey way before the rest of the state got crunchy granola and somewhere to the left of the Gang of Four....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
rpm wrote:I think there will be a $100 nonrefundable initial deposit to get a confirmed place on the list. That $100 will be nonrefundable for any reason.

Then, there will be an additional deposit in an amount to be determined, I'm currently thinking ~$250-350, due by year end to keep your place. That deposit will be refundable if you spot can be filled from the waiting list if any)

I don't understand why this would be necessary. If someone from the waiting list can take your spot & cover all the pre-paid costs (and hence not alter the cost of the tour), why would the initial deposit still be nonrefundable? Especially at that early of a stage (ie. more than 6 months before the trip)? I can't think of any type of trip where the deposit is nonrefundable 6 months ahead of the trip, and most of those are like that because there is nothing in place to "have someone take your spot" like we do.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

rpm

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I don't understand why this would be necessary. If someone from the waiting list can take your spot & cover all the pre-paid costs (and hence not alter the cost of the tour), why would the initial deposit still be nonrefundable? Especially at that early of a stage (ie. more than 6 months before the trip)? I can't think of any type of trip where the deposit is nonrefundable 6 months ahead of the trip, and most of those are like that because there is nothing in place to "have someone take your spot" like we do.

Last time, we had a very large number sign up, only to fall away. I think an initial nonrefundable deposit will discourage anyone who isn't serious about the Tour from signing up on a 'what the heck' basis. I don't know the extent to which we had sign ups last time who were never really serious. Think of it as an option on a spot on the Tour.

The amount is TBD - maybe it would be larger or smaller, and maybe it would be partly refundable. Another approach would be to give people the option of a small, nonrefundable deposit (with a larger one later on) or a larger initial deposit that would be fully refundable if they were replaced by a waiting list person by a date certain.

Understand, the reason I put the thoughts out was to get feedback. You don't like it. OK, I hear you.

And, note that we did not fill all the spots this Summer, even though we had as many people on the waiting list as there were spots. That ended up costing you money, and ended up with both woop and me foregoing reimbursement on a few things as our share of the increased costs. That's not fair to the Tourists or to us.

Having a nonrefundable deposit cushion (1) gives us more flexibility in dealing with true hardship cases (and we had one where we ultimately told the person, who offered to chip in, she or he needed the money more than we did) and (2) ultimately lowers the total cost for the Tourists who do go on Tour. It's not as if we're keeping the deposits for ourselves after all.

If we'd had $4800 (at one point there were 48 people or more on the list) in nonrefundable deposits this past trip, we could have avoided the cost increase, as well as having more flexibility to do things we considered, but did not do because of the cost - both in terms of where we went and in terms of including more winemakers/owners as our guests for more meals in ways that would have enhanced the experience even more.

Remember: We're not a tour company that makes a profit on the Tour and pays the salaries of the people who do the work. Woop and I get reimbursed for out-of-pocket and Tour costs, but we don't 'make' money on this. We don't receive any actual compensation. Woop takes time from his business, in which he is a partner, and I take time away from my practice. That has an opportunity cost. I can't speak for woop, but for me, for the actual tour days alone, that can be in the low five figures.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
rpm wrote:We'll be thinking about when and what we'll do over the next few weeks, and I'll post something by mid-September.

I think there will be a $100 nonrefundable initial deposit to get a confirmed place on the list. That $100 will be nonrefundable for any reason.

I'll start the list first come first served, but I'll rearrange the order into the order initial deposits actually arrive.

While final plans for the tour details will not sort out by year end, we'll have dates, probably the hotel, and more details before that second deposit is due.

Our goal will be to have final costs out to people by late April or early May - erring a little high if we have to so there are no surprises later. Once that estimate goes out, you'll have a couple of weeks to get payment in.

If payment doesn't arrive when due, we go to the next person on the list, who will then have the opportunity.

All deposits except the initial $100 will be refundable if your spot is filled from the waiting list, but only when the person on the waiting list pays. We haven't decided whether to have the new person pay us, and refund the drop-out, or have the new person pay the drop-out, who will then confirm to us X has purchased the drop-out's spot(s). The latter will be less work for us - we'd rather spend the time we have to invest in the trip on the plan and arrangements than on bookkeeping.

I'll keep the deposits in my (noninterst bearing, sorry) attorney's trustee account, so there is no co-mingling with anyone's personal funds.

I am thinking that, as much as I absolutely loved this Summer's Tour, filled with old friends and new, I would like to either (1) have a tour primarily for New Tourists or (2) have two back-to-back Tours, one with the more purely historical/basic educational theme for New Tourists and a second Tour for veterans of one or more of the Tours to explore one or more particular areas or wines or themes.

Suggestions are welcomed.

"When" had better be carved into stone when the list opens up. I travel a lot on business, and I've been really lucky the last two times that I was home for the tours. I'd hate to put down a non-refundable deposit not knowing if I could go.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I will have to agree with HAK, I dont have a problem paying the deposit closer to the date, sort of like Krugster was asking during the Sip and Sail. I personally will not be able to figure out if I can attend the tour a year in advance. If you ask for 100 at the beginning you might not be able to gauge the interest, because many people will not be able to commit at that point. Also I think rpm should be the main money distributor, otherwise we are going to be dealing with many different addresses and payment systems to transfer our spot.

winetrancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winetrancer
tiger7610 wrote:I will have to agree with HAK, I dont have a problem paying the deposit closer to the date, sort of like Krugster was asking during the Sip and Sail. I personally will not be able to figure out if I can attend the tour a year in advance. If you ask for 100 at the beginning you might not be able to gauge the interest, because many people will not be able to commit at that point. Also I think rpm should be the main money distributor, otherwise we are going to be dealing with many different addresses and payment systems to transfer our spot.

Seems like the deposits could be refundable provided:
1. someone will/has taken your place based upon-
2. a secondary...say $400 deposit that comes due much closer to the Tour..like 4,5,6 weeks prior.
3. If no one has taken your place, and you haven't canceled prior to the pre-announced second deposit...you lose the first deposit.

It seemed this last time that it was far too easy too just not respond, leaving all parties in limbo. The writing of a check does wonders with the commitment of the heart.

rpm

winetrancer wrote:Seems like the deposits could be refundable provided:
1. someone will/has taken your place based upon-
2. a secondary...say $400 deposit that comes due much closer to the Tour..like 4,5,6 weeks prior.
3. If no one has taken your place, and you haven't canceled prior to the pre-announced second deposit...you lose the first deposit.

It seemed this last time that it was far too easy too just not respond, leaving all parties in limbo. The writing of a check does wonders with the commitment of the heart.

Your last observation is what prompts the whole exercise.

Thanks for your thoughts, which I will consider along with others' thoughts on this. I am still inclined to have an initial amount (TBD) completely nonrefundable - a token of seriousness if you will, so that we don't come up to a major deposit point, having made arrangements for the tour, and lose a whole horde of tourists.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

JOATMON wrote:"When" had better be carved into stone when the list opens up. I travel a lot on business, and I've been really lucky the last two times that I was home for the tours. I'd hate to put down a non-refundable deposit not knowing if I could go.

I hear you, but it is sometimes hard to get hard commitments from the wineries. The week we did it in both times seems a good one, it's before harvest starts and after most people have dealt with the immediately preceding vintages by getting them into barrels or bottles, as appropriate. An brief respite where winemakers can be available. I would look for timing something like that. With two tours, that's more complicated, however....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

tiger7610 wrote:I will have to agree with HAK, I dont have a problem paying the deposit closer to the date, sort of like Krugster was asking during the Sip and Sail. I personally will not be able to figure out if I can attend the tour a year in advance. If you ask for 100 at the beginning you might not be able to gauge the interest, because many people will not be able to commit at that point. Also I think rpm should be the main money distributor, otherwise we are going to be dealing with many different addresses and payment systems to transfer our spot.

I hear you, but I think we have to gauge interest well in advance in order to make arrangements effectively. We had issues with it being too late this year. The whole idea is not to sign up on the list if you're not serious, on a 'well, if I can go, I have a spot' view.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

winetrancer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winetrancer
rpm wrote:I hear you, but I think we have to gauge interest well in advance in order to make arrangements effectively. We had issues with it being too late this year. The whole idea is not to sign up on the list if you're not serious, on a 'well, if I can go, I have a spot' view.

Gregorylane and his +1 (Winetrancer) are in! Graduate tour for sure, but one wonders if a separation of couples could occur!?

Anyway...we're in...if I'm livin'!

(I really need to log in as myself here. I'm serious here!)

bahwm

Post 2010 tour I made up a photo book. I tried to include pics of everyone and most all of the places that we visited. I almost posted a link to it here, but I realize that I should probably check to see if there is anybody who might have a problem with that. I did include screen names and some real names. Please let me know if you have any specific concerns. If so, I will not print a public link to the album.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rpm

bahwm wrote:Post tour I made a photo book. I just found out that there is a way to embed it on a website. Soooooo, here it is! FINALLY! Enjoy! The Official Unofficial 2010 RPM Tour Book, July 20 - 22, 2010

That's really cool! You should post a link in the Pub as well!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bahwm

rpm wrote:That's really cool! You should post a link in the Pub as well!

Wow! You're quick! I was just having second thoughts. See above. Sparky made me do it!

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
bahwm wrote:Wow! You're quick! I was just having second thoughts. See above. Sparky made me do it!

Great job! I love those Shutterfly books, I made some of our wedding to give as gifts and our honeymoon for us!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
rpm wrote:
I am still inclined to have an initial amount (TBD) completely nonrefundable - a token of seriousness if you will, so that we don't come up to a major deposit point, having made arrangements for the tour, and lose a whole horde of tourists.

I completely support a non-refundable deposit.

Last year, I waited and watched as my name sifted up to the top of the waiting list and dutifully checked airfare connections and hotel accomodations. But I could not book travel solely on the basis of the "gee, I'm not sure I will be able to make it" statement of the person in front of me. By the time the individual officially dropped a few weeks before the event, the cost of my cross-country airfare had risen so much that I could no longer afford to go.

And so I had to drop off the list as well, no doubt frustrating our gracious organizers as much as myself.

Edit: If a list is being started at this point in time, please count me in.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
bahwm wrote:Wow! You're quick! I was just having second thoughts. See above. Sparky made me do it!

Sparky didn't make you do it. He never gets around to posting pics

CT

wkdpanda

Earlier in the year, I asked Bonnie to order me a copy of the book, after seeing a copy.

I might just get my hands on it in another week!!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

Earlier in the year, I asked Bonnie to order me a copy of the book, after seeing a copy.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

bahwm

wkdpanda wrote:Earlier in the year, I asked bahwm to order me a copy of the book, after seeing a copy.

Point taken! It's in line with things to be packed!

gregorylane

wkdpanda wrote:Earlier in the year, I asked Bonnie to order me a copy of the book, after seeing a copy.

I'm replying to the second post.

Mamma Deb has put her foot down: Apparently we are in. Non-refund or no. So, the list starts behind us!

Seriously...she is firmly behind the concept that...We'd quit our jobs to hang out with you guys!

The rest of you all...the line forms behind Glane +1.

Edit: Wait...is Bowtie comin'?

rpm-2012

ddeuddeg

gregorylane wrote:I'm replying to the second post.

Mamma Deb has put her foot down: Apparently we are in. Non-refund or no. So, the list starts behind us!

Seriously...she is firmly behind the concept that...We'd quit our jobs to hang out with you guys!

The rest of you all...the line forms behind Glane +1.

Edit: Wait...is Bowtie comin'?

Have you been drinking?