MoscowMidnight

quality posts: 2 Private Messages MoscowMidnight
mother wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are you paying for the car up in NoCal?

[I'm so loathe to buy an Entertainment book after my previous experience with the company... NEVER buy a book from them directly!]

Though I've deleted it, I got a an email this week from the Entertainment Book publishers that all 2010 books are about $8.95 or so with FREE SHIPPING.

And as I go to their website now they are offering any two books or more in their inventory for $5 each. Shipping extra.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
MoscowMidnight wrote:Though I've deleted it, I got a an email this week from the Entertainment Book publishers that all 2010 books are about $8.95 or so with FREE SHIPPING.

And as I go to their website now they are offering any two books or more in their inventory for $5 each. Shipping extra.

Appreciate the thought, but this is how they got me a few years back! They will take the liberty of "selling" you a new book at full price EVERY year. Worst part was I had used my debit card so it was HELL to stop them...

mother

ddeuddeg wrote:I think having water along is a really great idea. Just in case. plan on bringing your own.

It looks like there is a Costco in Richmond not too far off the path up to Sonoma- should I try to stop and buy a few cases of water?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:It looks like there is a Costco in Richmond not too far off the path up to Sonoma- should I try to stop and buy a few cases of water?

There's a Costco in Santa Rosa, not far off the 101 (close to where we stayed last year). Great wine selection there (3 sets of bins, along with the normal wine pallets).

Costco Santa rosa - costco.com
1900 Santa Rosa Avenue, Santa Rosa - (707) 566-6420

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:There's a Costco in Santa Rosa, not far off the 101 (close to where we stayed last year). Great wine selection there (3 sets of bins, along with the normal wine pallets).

Costco Santa rosa - costco.com
1900 Santa Rosa Avenue, Santa Rosa - (707) 566-6420

I'm not a native as you know- isn't Santa Rosa way not on the way?

I should google map it... Oooh and I gotta find an In n Out for lunch Monday muhaha...

Edit: Yeah it's way past Sonoma... On the "bad new for my heart" side I not only found an IN-N-OUT on the way (Pinole) but found one right outside OAK airport for a midnight snack the night before :P

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
ddeuddeg wrote:I think having water along is a really great idea. Just in case. plan on bringing your own.

Dang, totally forgot about packing my nice water bottle for refilling. Guess I'll need to somehow buy some bottles too unless someone can make sure to bring enough for me too.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Best wishes to the trip participants for what I am sure will be an unforgettable experience. The organizers deserve a great deal of thanks for getting this together.

Looking forward to reading reports....and looking forward to going next year if the trip is "repeated" yet again.

Have fun !!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Leaving in a few hours, see you in a few days.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Dang, totally forgot about packing my nice water bottle for refilling. Guess I'll need to somehow buy some bottles too unless someone can make sure to bring enough for me too.

IIRC, bottled water was supplied to the tourists last time.

Note to self: bring water bottle for HAK.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:IIRC, bottled water was supplied to the tourists last time.

Note to self: bring water bottle for HAK.

Though,as I think a bit about it again, I'm pretty sure there's probably somewhere in Sonoma that I might be able to find a nice-looking Sonoma water bottle. That's actually a souvenir I would buy.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

Cesare

quality posts: 1559 Private Messages Cesare

What a day!
Started out at the American Admiral's club at JFK which was really cool. The only bad part was it was 6am.
Then first class to SFO. So. Awesome. We are ruined now. They even had Buena Vista Pinot Noir!
Picked up the car and made a quick stop at In-n-out just past oakland. mmmmm....
Then straight through Sacramento to Plymouth (Amador county). Sierra foothills.. goldrush country. So weird out here. Hot as hell too, it was over 100 today!
First stop, CG Di Arie winery. Had a nice tasting of their lineup then tasted a vertical of their blend with the winemaker/owner. Interesting guy. He created cap'n crunch among other things. See wltv episode 863.
Next stop, Vino Noceto! Had a nice time with Jim tasting their lineup and then some 09 barrel samples. He is like an expert on sangio here, very cool to talk to him. It was also cool to try their whites, barbera, port, etc. We only see the sangios and zin on woot. Must join the wine club!
We ended the day with dinner at Taste. Just spectacular. Great food, great local wines, great service. The town seems dead but this place was packed! I guess that's where everyone was.
And now I must go collapse in bed. So tired. But so worth it.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mother

Cesare wrote:
Then first class to SFO. So. Awesome. We are ruined now.

Wow AA does 3 class service on JFK-SFO, don't they? That's real first class, not the kind you usually get domestic! Way jealous.

ddeuddeg

Made it to Oakland, 30 minutes late because, are you ready for this? We had to wait for the flight attendants to arrive from wherever on another flight. Better that than the pilot, I guess. That's after arriving in Las Vegas 25 minutes early. We got cooked on our way from the plane into the terminal there because it was 110°. Then in Oakland, it's about 62°. Anyway, here we are, and we'll see everyone tomorrow.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Cesare

mother wrote:Wow AA does 3 class service on JFK-SFO, don't they? That's real first class, not the kind you usually get domestic! Way jealous.

Yeah LA too. Huge seats that go almost flat, I'm 6' tall and stretched out I couldn't hit the seat in front of me. Real hot food, drinks, wine, snacks, etc. Personal video player loaded with movies with big bose noise cancelling headphones. Two free checked bags which is useful for bringing wine back. They are using 767-200s with gogo inflight internet for a fee. I didn't use it but maybe on the way back.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

JOATMON

HAK!

What will I be looking for tomorrow at the airport? You know what to look for for me, but I'm in the dark right now.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

Since the bottling line will not be running tomorrow, I'm thinking of heading over to Ty Caton first, and if we have enough time afterwards going over to Wellington. We'll be stopping by Wellington during the tour.

(as of 2011-03-02)

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo

* Update *

As of Friday, we counted 25 Tour-ists. Everyone for whom I have received funds via postal mail or PayPal should have received a confirmation message via email. As of Saturday's postal mail, we are still missing funds from 8 people. Please send me a PM or email if you believe you have sent funds but have not received a confirmation of receipt.

We could still accommodate up to 4 more individuals.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at 6 pm at the Sonoma Valley Inn on Monday. No need to eat beforehand.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
merbill wrote:Okay, I'm not interested in a three-way, especially if you're implying anything close to the AndyDuncan "Sausage Gravy" meaning. However, if somebody is looking for a roommate to save some $, then PM me. Like I said, I have a room already booked at a AAA rate, but I can cancel (by the 16th) if an extra bed is out there, or convert my room to 2 beds (assuming BW goes along with it) if somebody is currently homeless. HAK's sheet indicates he's got an extra bed, but I'm not sure its the latest info.

Mr Hod: I have an old car too that needs a couple of new tires but is not likely to break down, so maybe we can work something out (assuming you're not contagious and feel better soon). You initiated the gathering at Java's this weekend, so I assume you plan to attend if you can. When do you see yourself leaving to go to Sonoma?

Merbill call me let's share a ride and fuel costs! 323 244 9830. My car roof us stuck down and I won't make it north at a decent hour after fixing it... or risk norcal rain in the jalopy. Will be a Java's in an hour if u know him.

ddeuddeg

JOATMON wrote:....tomorrow, I'm thinking of heading over to Ty Caton first, and if we have enough time afterwards going over to Wellington.

IIRC, Wellington is on the way back to the hotel from Ty's tasting room.

ddeuddeg

woopdedoo wrote:No need to eat beforehand.

Good to know. Thanks. See you in 24.

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

I am very sorry to have to say that speedoo+1 and I have to cancel. My mom is being hospitalized this week for a procedure and as a result I can't be away.

We've been trying to figure out a way to avoid canceling since we got the news on Friday, but it's just no go.

I hope this last minute cancellation does not present too many problems, and we are very disappointed that we will miss a fabulous tour.

ddeuddeg

speedoo wrote:I am very sorry to have to say that speedoo+1 and I have to cancel. My mom is being hospitalized this week for a procedure and as a result I can't be away.

We'll be praying for your mom. Hope everything goes well.

JOATMON

Fundamental rules of RPM Magical History Tour

(as of 2011-03-02)

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
coynedj wrote:Excellent question re water. I plan to bring a fairly large bottle.

Another question regards getting from the airport to the hotel (I thought I had already asked this, but didn't find the post). I get in at 1:40 on Monday - will there be a loud, boisterous group gathering to take the shuttle?

If any of you want a ride from SFO, shoot me an email or leave a message. Not sure what time I'm going to be starting to move, but I can drive right by SFO en route from southern Peninsula.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
JOATMON wrote:Since the bottling line will not be running tomorrow, I'm thinking of heading over to Ty Caton first, and if we have enough time afterwards going over to Wellington. We'll be stopping by Wellington during the tour.

What time are folks heading over to Ty's? I may have just been there recently, but I don't tend to pass up tasting opportunities with him. Can I meet up with some of you at the hotel so that we don't all drive ourselves individually? (I could drive...just figure it's better to pool vehicles)

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

I got a pm from bkarney at 11 last night - he has cancelled.

With speedoo and +1 canceling at 1:30 this morning, that means we are down from 23 to 20 Tourists.

They will be missed, and clearly have legitimate reasons for their last minute cancellations. However, to be fair to others, in the future, if we do this again, we will try to take deposits early on which will cover everyone's share of the fixed costs so that last minute cancellations do not unfairly burden those who go on the Tour.

Woopdedoo will have to run the numbers, that will probably increase costs.

I look forward to seeing everyone at 6:00 pm at the Sonoma Valley Inn!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

JOATMON

rpm wrote:I got a pm from bkarney at 11 last night - he has cancelled.

With speedoo and +1 canceling at 1:30 this morning, that means we are down from 23 to 20 Tourists.

They will be missed, and clearly have legitimate reasons for their last minute cancellations. However, to be fair to others, in the future, if we do this again, we will try to take deposits early on which will cover everyone's share of the fixed costs so that last minute cancellations do not unfairly burden those who go on the Tour.

Woopdedoo will have to run the numbers, that will probably increase costs.

I look forward to seeing everyone at 6:00 pm at the Sonoma Valley Inn!

I understand that people may have all sorts of legitimate reasons to cancel, and some may be legitimate for the last minute, but it's still sad.

According to RPM's latest list on the front page:

A Note to those below 26: Do NOT be discouraged. If last year's experience bears out, you will probably end up with a chance to go as some other potential participants determine they cannot go for a whole host of reasons.

woopdedoo
rpm
SWMBO (closing dinner only)

1. coynedj
2. mother

3. HitAnyKey42
4. ddeudeg
5. bahwm

6. Ublink
7. mrs.Ublink
8. Cesare
9. Krista
10. wkdpanda
11. JOATMON
12. txmusicman49
13. txmusicman49+1
14. gregorylane
15. gregorylane+1
16. andyduncan
17. klezman
18. apw2123
19. richardhod
20. merbill

Which means that I moved up from initial #46 (and that was after some people had already sent their regrets) to #11.

Also, it appears that we have 10 (or 11) repeaters out of the 22 (or 23) total participants from last year:

RPM
woopdedoo
ddeuddeg (under a different alias)
ddeuddeg+1
UBlink
UBlink+1
Cesare
kttest
JOATMON
andyduncan
SWMBO (only final night)

A note to the repeaters (and to myself): this is not the tour we did two years ago. We will be going to different places, with different motivations and different reasons. I plan to approach this tour as if the last one didn't happen, so I won't be using energy comparing the two.

(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

JOATMON wrote:HAK!

What will I be looking for tomorrow at the airport? You know what to look for for me, but I'm in the dark right now.

I'm an almost 6' skinny guy, I'll have a rather large brown suitcase (and carry-on), wearing beige shorts and probably changing into a green t-shirt when I get to SFO. I'll call you when the plane lands and then again when I have my bag with me outside to be able to direct you to where I'll end up standing.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

ddeuddeg

JOATMON wrote:A note to the repeaters (and to myself): this is not the tour we did two years ago. We will be going to different places, with different motivations and different reasons. I plan to approach this tour as if the last one didn't happen, so I won't be using energy comparing the two.

Most wise advice. Both bahwm and I have been saying for many years, "You can't go back." Further, we are different people now, in any case, certainly in terms of our own wine knowledge.
This tour is simply going to be a blast!
See you all later, and we start rolling early tomorrow!

rpm

speedoo wrote:I am very sorry to have to say that speedoo+1 and I have to cancel. My mom is being hospitalized this week for a procedure and as a result I can't be away.

We've been trying to figure out a way to avoid canceling since we got the news on Friday, but it's just no go.

I hope this last minute cancellation does not present too many problems, and we are very disappointed that we will miss a fabulous tour.

I'm sorry about your mother, and hope all goes well.

That said, the last minute cancellations -- yours and bkarney -- are a problem as over half of the tour costs shared among participants are "fixed" costs which cannot be reduced by eliminating the marginal cost of your meals and tastings. It not be possible to even eliminate all of your marginal costs at this late date.

Woopdedoo and I have spoken this morning and he is trying to sort it all out and determine the best way to deal with the roughly $1,900 gap we have with being 20 instead of 24 (which was the number costs were calculated on).

We are working on the assumption that everyone who is still on the list is coming. However, I note also that there are some people we show as coming who have not yet paid Woopdedoo. You know who you are. Bring your checkbooks, because no one will be on the bus tomorrow unless Woopdedoo has been paid.

There will be some changes as a result of the last minute cancellations, but I will leave that to Woopdedoo to explain when he finally determines how to handle the shortfall in the least disruptive way.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that drinks this wine with me
Shall be my brother; be (s)he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And wooters in their garrets now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That drank with us upon our History Tour.

with apologies to WS....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Cesare

We've been here at the best western since last night. There was a power outage yesterday in part of sonoma including here and as a result their internet isn't working. Still no eta on it. I am interested in ty caton so let me know. Some of you have my number.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

ddeuddeg

This is bahwm: I heard on the weather last night that flights coming into SFO this AM may be delayed because of fog. Just thought I'd give a little head's up on that. Sorry I didn't post it last night--I fell asleep!

ddeuddeg

Cesare wrote:We've been here at the best western since last night. There was a power outage yesterday in part of sonoma including here and as a result their internet isn't working. Still no eta on it. I am interested in ty caton so let me know. Some of you have my number.

Us, too. We are planning on being in Sonoma around noonish. We'll want to get something light to eat before we begin the afternoon's adventures. You guys have our cells as well.

bahwm

mother

ddeuddeg wrote:Us, too. We are planning on being in Sonoma around noonish. We'll want to get something light to eat before we begin the afternoon's adventures. You guys have our cells as well.

bahwm

Naturally interwebs problems when I might get stuck running a Live Meeting at noon pacific I curse Murphy and his laws. Current plan is to stay here at my close to the airport hotel until I either get a reprieve or 1pm when I'm done.

HitAnyKey42

rpm wrote:Woopdedoo and I have spoken this morning and he is trying to sort it all out and determine the best way to deal with the roughly $1,900 gap we have with being 20 instead of 24 (which was the number costs were calculated on).

There will be some changes as a result of the last minute cancellations, but I will leave that to Woopdedoo to explain when he finally determines how to handle the shortfall in the least disruptive way.

Unfortunate as it is I would hope those the had to cancel so last minute would be willing to put forth at least a portion of their amounts.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

ddeuddeg wrote:This is bahwm: I heard on the weather last night that flights coming into SFO this AM may be delayed because of fog. Just thought I'd give a little head's up on that. Sorry I didn't post it last night--I fell asleep!

My plane is gettin ready to take off so hopefully we don't have any delays with landing....knock on wood.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
woopdedoo wrote:Looking forward to seeing everyone at 6 pm at the Sonoma Valley Inn on Monday. No need to eat beforehand.

So is this party at the Sonoma Valley Inn open to non-tourists? I'm meeting up with CAGrl this evening to fork over her Vegas wine. Would love to meet you guys. Is there anything I can bring? Food/wine?

rpm

mewalk707 wrote:So is this party at the Sonoma Valley Inn open to non-tourists? I'm meeting up with CAGrl this evening to fork over her Vegas wine. Would love to meet you guys. Is there anything I can bring? Food/wine?

Party is open to non-Tourist wooters - we look forward to seeing you!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
HitAnyKey42 wrote:My plane is gettin ready to take off so hopefully we don't have any delays with landing....knock on wood.

you really shouldn't be hitting yourself in the head like that!

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

tiger7610

quality posts: 16 Private Messages tiger7610
InShadows wrote:you really shouldn't be hitting yourself in the head like that!

When I need to knock on wood and all I have is plastic around, I always use my head. I guess great minds think alike.