Quality Posts

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Fusebox Wine Blending Kit
$69.99 + $7.00 shipping

Condition: New
Product: 1 Fusebox Wine Blending Kit

Oooh, this looks kinda cool. Another good wine-party item?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1547 Private Messages Cesare

Fusebox website

Crushpad website
Crushpad on twitter
Crushpad on Facebook

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

PSquishy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages PSquishy

What exactly is this? A wine chemistry set so we can make our own blend of about 3 full size bottles?

nptacek

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nptacek

Froogle

Almost half price, according to Froogle. Nice!

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen

$89.99 at Costco - another Woot bargain!!

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

How good is this deal?

Well, shipping direct from Fusebox is just a tad higher than woot (), and the product discount vs. retail ain't too bad either. All in all, this is a kick-ass discount.

Click the link above for full discount details, product links, etc.. (You know how it works, don't you?)

CT | | | | | |

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg

At last, CT is on the list! I'm sure they'll be deliriously happy.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rileyper

quality posts: 66 Private Messages rileyper

Mystery Wine, Wonder what it is???

Great deal

(any date on the wine)

insurgent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages insurgent

Two days after getting this in the mail your front door will be broken down by the DEA and you will be busted for your meth lab!

yessrinc

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yessrinc

Got this for the last beach trip with the kids and signifcant others. We had a blast trying the historic blends and had fun making up our own. The whole crowd loved the challenege and the wine. Highly recommended.

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen

Will Scott Harvey drop in to give us blending advice?

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

ptopper

quality posts: 12 Private Messages ptopper

thanks for the testimonial, yessrinc...I was going to let you all scratch your heads awhile until I popped in.

FORMER Fusebox Ninja
(left Crushpad, this is my final woot for them - but I'll be back with new surprises in the future!)

ptopper

Yes, it's the best darn chemistry set you'll ever see..kinda like being a winemaker without having to wait for your wine to age... :-)

FORMER Fusebox Ninja
(left Crushpad, this is my final woot for them - but I'll be back with new surprises in the future!)

ptopper

and yes, it works with a mac :-)

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

Cesare

quality posts: 1547 Private Messages Cesare
ptopper wrote:thanks for the testimonial, yessrinc...I was going to let you all scratch your heads awhile until I popped in.

Welcome back. So, you're at crushpad now?

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

PSquishy

The bottles are cork sealed. But when we pop them to start our mixing skills, we will need to consume the three bottles' worth of wine within a day or two, otherwise, like any wine, it will go bad. Right? Or am I confused?

ptopper

Cesare wrote:Welcome back. So, you're at crushpad now?

I am...wondered if anyone would remember me...I've been a little quiet since 2007...what month was it? I'll look it up...

November, 2007...

Oh yeah, it was Thanksgiving...

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

trwagner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages trwagner

Ok, I can't possibly believe I was actually the first wooter on this one. It's such a great idea that I'm in for two.

ptopper

PSquishy wrote:The bottles are cork sealed. But when we pop them to start our mixing skills, we will need to consume the three bottles' worth of wine within a day or two, otherwise, like any wine, it will go bad. Right? Or am I confused?

Hi PSquishy, bottles are cork sealed...inside are luscious Napa Valley wines, to blend up and see what a great wine you can make out of them. Mystery wine is a blend made with the same components, and you guess what's in it...

...all intended to be blended (and drunk, of course!) in one sitting, a little blending party, if you will... the sets include enough equipment for four people to participate comfortably.

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

ptopper

trwagner wrote:Ok, I can't possibly believe I was actually the first wooter on this one. It's such a great idea that I'm in for two.

Thanks trwagner - it really is fun...please keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

In fact, if anyone wants to reach me directly at Crushpad, please feel free to email me at pamela@crushpadwine.com

My official title is Fusebox Ninja (no kidding...send me an email, I'll send you a card!), but some folks find "Pamela" less intimidating... :-)

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

burrnini

quality posts: 10 Private Messages burrnini

can someone who has tried this chime in on the quality of the individual wines? it sounds like a very interesting concept, but i'm a bit wary of the generic-ness of the wine. are the wines on the oaky side or the fruity side? or are all of the varietals well balanced?

also, what is the difference between buying this set and buying 4 bottles of relatively inexpensive single varietal bottles and using those to mix?

ptopper

burrnini wrote:can someone who has tried this chime in on the quality of the individual wines? it sounds like a very interesting concept, but i'm a bit wary of the generic-ness of the wine. are the wines on the oaky side or the fruity side? or are all of the varietals well balanced?

also, what is the difference between buying this set and buying 4 bottles of relatively inexpensive single varietal bottles and using those to mix?

Sorry burrnini, I was offline for awhile...

the wines in the set are all Napa Valley wines-same quality as commercial wines we produce that sell for $40 to $75.

Here’s a link to Chicago Times write-up: http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/jan/24/news/chi-0124_d_winejan24

Set comes with 5 varietals, guidebook, graduated cylinder, pipettes, placemats, mystery wine game.

Different than buying four bottles of cheap wine? Very. Wine quality is much better, and you never know if the wines you buy cheap are blends...even single-vineyard wines can be blends of several varietals and clones from the same vineyard.

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

portapady

quality posts: 1 Private Messages portapady

new jersey :-(

ptopper

portapady wrote:new jersey :-(

Hey portapady, got any friends or relatives in NY, (who won't pilfer if you have it delivered to them)?

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

crzycajn70

quality posts: 2 Private Messages crzycajn70

FTA: And once you’ve flexed those blending muscles, you and your fellow wine geeks can guess at what went into the 375 mL bottle of Mystery Wine. Note: “Hi-C”, “soy sauce”, and “Ben-most excellent” are not acceptable answers.

What about "baby diaper?" :-)

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

rpm

quality posts: 166 Private Messages rpm

I think this could be fun for a party. It can certainly give you an idea of how most wines are actually put together. As I described it in some notes I put together for the Magical Mystery Tourists last summer:

I think a description of old style blending, known as “fractional blending” might be interesting. The idea is to match a previous bottling with which you were particularly pleased (or which represents your ‘house style’). You start with samples of all the wines you’re considering for the blend, of different years, grape varieties, vineyards, even blocs within vineyards. The samples are tasted and from that initial tasting choices are made for further consideration. Those are assembled into sample blends using essentially a scale model of the amount of wine you want to build. That is, you must take samples in proportion to what’s available in the wine your considering. If you were making a 30,000 gallon blend, and you had only 1,000 gallons of one of the wines you wanted to use, you could not put more than 1/30th of that wine into the sample blend. It sounds simple, but in practice you could have literally hundreds of samples and several dozen trial blends until you came up with what you wanted.

Even today, most wines are a blend of different 'batches' (whether from different barrels, different blocks in a vineyard or different vineyards, or different growers, and, often different varietals), which are assembled in much the way I have described, though with much more complexity than you'll find in the kit.

I'm probably not a buyer (for pretty much the same reasons I was a not a buyer of the scent set - I've done a little tasting of proposed blends in my time), but I'd urge anyone with a hankering to understand just what putting a blend together involves, and who has the disposable dosh, to give it a whirl.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ninaco

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ninaco

Not the sort of thing I'm interested in, but (hopefully) the perfect Christmas gift for my BIL. Good price! In for 1.

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

This might be the most interesting thing I've ever seen on woot.

So let's say I blend something that I thing is pretty tasty (unlikely, but probable) - how long could this wine be cellared? Assuming it's "high quality Napa Valley" like it's saying, I'm going to assume that it's possible? I'm guessing there's not really enough wine in one kit to do this, but it seems like fun.

Cliffs notes:

It looks like the set it designed to have the wine immediately consumed, so how much room for improvement is there if you don't?

CT

RDSmith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RDSmith

Fusebox Ninja –

Every wine must have a story, so can you give us any additional information of the source of the grapes and the vintage of the wines in the kit?

Thanks,

Bob Smith

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

ptopper,

It seems that folks will tend to run out of some of the varietals before others, or they might want to continue playing after all of the blending wine is gone.

What should they look for on the market if they want to buy additional wine to experiment further?

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

FWIW I helped a winemaker friend out last year making a "barrell select" cabernet. Basically had bottles from 5 different barrels of cab, and mixed them up in with pipettes and cylinders it may have been some of the most fun I've ever had with clothes on.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

ptopper

rpm wrote:I think this could be fun for a party. It can certainly give you an idea of how most wines are actually put together. As I described it in some notes I put together for the Magical Mystery Tourists last summer:

Even today, most wines are a blend of different 'batches' (whether from different barrels, different blocks in a vineyard or different vineyards, or different growers, and, often different varietals), which are assembled in much the way I have described, though with much more complexity than you'll find in the kit.

I'm probably not a buyer (for pretty much the same reasons I was a not a buyer of the scent set - I've done a little tasting of proposed blends in my time), but I'd urge anyone with a hankering to understand just what putting a blend together involves, and who has the disposable dosh, to give it a whirl.

Hello all, just got to the winery...foggy morning in SF (what's new), but I see the sun will break through any moment now...

lots of questions overnight, let's see if I can answer at least some of them. I'll do it in a short string of responses to give you folks something to chew on.

FUN AND FASCINATING! It IS fun for a party, rpm, and in fact it's set up for multiple participants...4 people, 4 couples, whatever. Fun for funseekers, and again you're right, rpm, fascinating for those who want to learn and expand their wine appreciation. Perfect gift for the Holidays, birthdays, etc.

For you folks who have not done any blending, you will be AMAZED at what even 4-5% of Merlot in your Cabernet will do, then put in a splash of Petit Verdot, etc...even small amounts change the entire character of the wine...typically for the better. Adds depth, complexity, color, interest. Once I experimented with blending, I gained an entirely new appreciation for what's in every bottle I drink.

HAVE fun and BE fascinated!

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

ptopper

rmm989 wrote:This might be the most interesting thing I've ever seen on woot.

So let's say I blend something that I thing is pretty tasty (unlikely, but probable) - how long could this wine be cellared? Assuming it's "high quality Napa Valley" like it's saying, I'm going to assume that it's possible? I'm guessing there's not really enough wine in one kit to do this, but it seems like fun.

Cliffs notes:

It looks like the set it designed to have the wine immediately consumed, so how much room for improvement is there if you don't?

The kit is designed for you to blend (and consume!) all the wine in a single session. It will provide a few hours of fun, and a whole new appreciation for what it takes to make a truly superb wine.

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

mrkpenguin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrkpenguin

Is a pipette bulb included in the kit? And is there an answer guide for what is in the mystery bottle?

ptopper

RDSmith wrote:Fusebox Ninja –

Every wine must have a story, so can you give us any additional information of the source of the grapes and the vintage of the wines in the kit?

Thanks,

Bob Smith

Ah, the story. I wondered when someone would ask about that. I always love revealing information I'm under contract not to reveal ;-)

Let's start with hints:

Cab- from "Cathy's heart"
Merlot is better than "Tea"
Petit Verdot will make you "GRGL" with joy.
Throw in a little juice from the "White Hall" and another location that if I reveal I'll lose my Ninja powers, but you get the high-end gist.

All wines are 2005, and they've been lovingly cellared and are ready to enjoy in your upcoming blending session. That's why it's like being a winemaker without having to wait for your wine to age!

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

ptopper

yumitori wrote:ptopper,

It seems that folks will tend to run out of some of the varietals before others, or they might want to continue playing after all of the blending wine is gone.

What should they look for on the market if they want to buy additional wine to experiment further?

Crushpad will soon be offering the ideal solution to your problem...follow us on twitter (twitter.com/crushpad) for upcoming details, or email me at pamela@crushpadwine.com for the inside information. :-)

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

ptopper

mrkpenguin wrote:Is a pipette bulb included in the kit? And is there an answer guide for what is in the mystery bottle?

yes 4 mouth pipettes and a graduated cylinder, and yes...for the mystery blend, you go online, enter your guess, and we'll tell you how close you got.

To practice your blending skills before making your own blend, we've also included "recipes" of great vintages from producers like Dominus, Lafite Rothschild, etc

FORMER Fusebox Ninja

antsyashley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antsyashley

This looks like a lot of fun! And a great experiment for my new wine blog. I just hope it ships in time to receive for my 9/11 birthday party in Florida!

Everyday Girl's Wine Journal
www.everydaygirlwine.com

PSquishy

ptopper wrote:Ah, the story. I wondered when someone would ask about that. I always love revealing information I'm under contract not to reveal ;-)

Let's start with hints:

Cab- from "Cathy's heart"
Merlot is better than "Tea"
Petit Verdot will make you "GRGL" with joy.
Throw in a little juice from the "White Hall" and another location that if I reveal I'll lose my Ninja powers, but you get the high-end gist.

All wines are 2005, and they've been lovingly cellared and are ready to enjoy in your upcoming blending session. That's why it's like being a winemaker without having to wait for your wine to age!

The cab is Corison?!?!