Lab rat report?
So I used mine on the Goosecross Chenin Blanc, but I had trouble. I don't know if I didn't get the needle all the way in, or what, but the cork only rose about half a centimeter and that's it. I pulled the corkscrew out, and tried again, but by this time it was too late: a little movement on the cork, but nothing more.
So I tried my rabbit ear corkscrew (my normal device) ... it went in the hole left by the needle and then straight back out. Useless.
Resort to a real corkscrew to get into the cork (and split the top): success at last.
So, was the trouble caused by the corkscrew or by me? I'll guess the latter. I have had another gas-powered corkscreww before, and it was my go-to opener until it ran out of gas. Fast and easy, it was a wonderful thing.
Comparing that one (bought from woot) to this one, this one is much more appealing. My first one looked and felt cheap; this one looks nice and feels more like a real gadget (rubber grip, more solid).
I would say I could open a new bottle tomorrow since I finished the Goosecross I opened tonight, but I still have half a bottle of Block 13 in the fridge to drink tomorrow. If I do open another bottle, though, I will post comments to be sure.
Edit: So in my hurry to get to the wine last night I never removed the cork form the corkscrew. This morning, however, I did so, and discovered that the needle had pierced the cork on the side, rather than straight through. Upon inspecting the needle, it appeared slightly crooked. A gentle push straightened it out.
While I have not yet tested it again, I believe that the cockeyed insertion is to blame for the initial failure to pull the cork.