tkastorff


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff
MoveoverCinderella wrote:I for one am sooo glad to see Char-da-yeaaa!! One of my all time favs is Cakebread...yum. Looking forward to trying this one. Rat?
By the way, John Denver was my husbands room mate in college years ago. Got some pretty funny pics.



we were disappointed in our visit to Cakebread, found it very overrated, but Chard is not our favorite, either ... unless it's Carneros region from Frank Fam or Rombauer

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

andyduncan


quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
SF2009 wrote:In total, we ferment over 2500 barrels sur lie a year



How much of the fermentation happens in the barrels and how much happens beforehand in the fermenters? Also, could you talk about a little more about barrel fermentation? What are some of the challenges there? IE: how much racking, if any, do you do during barrel fermentation?

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

vinokeeno


quality posts: 2 Private Messages vinokeeno
jhudelson wrote:
I like wine. I like it all. Hell, one of the best wines I have ever tasted was Boonesfarm Strawberry Hill (the first wine that I ever caught a buzz on).



Boone's Farm does not contain any wine. It is a "flavored malt beverage product". Check the label. (There was an empty bottle lying in the alley behind our office building.)

My Cellar - "This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
vinokeeno wrote:Boone's Farm does not contain any wine. It is a "flavored malt beverage product". Check the label. (There was an empty bottle lying in the alley behind our office building.)



AMAZING signature!!! My favorite book of all time!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

vinokeeno


quality posts: 2 Private Messages vinokeeno
kylemittskus wrote:AMAZING signature!!! My favorite book of all time!



My favorite Hemingway Wine quote comes from A Moveable Feast

"We thought of wine as something as healthy and normal as food and also a great giver of happiness and well being and delight. Drinking wine was not a snobbism nor a sign of sophistication nor a cult; it was as natural as eating and to me, as necessary."

My Cellar - "This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

*** Momentary Hijack ***

Hello Wooters!

Have you ever wanted to pick the brain of a respected winemaker? Face to face? Here's your chance!



Scott Harvey has agreed to join us on a whirlwind tour of Michigan wineries this summer before his duties at the Michigan State Wine Competition. Come get the details and come join us for A Weekend with Scott Harvey!

*** End Hijack ***

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

killgory


quality posts: 0 Private Messages killgory

Rombauer chard is wonderful. Just about any chard from Carneros is good.

I hate unoaked Chard that ferments in stainless steel. Not only can I smell it, it leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Oaked, buttery Chard is the only version that I can drink without wanting to spit it out.

txmusicman49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49
MoveoverCinderella wrote:Yes, that would be Tech. A very "historical" time for the University in alot of good and bad ways. (oops, I think my age is showing:>)



As is mine!

txmusicman49


quality posts: 3 Private Messages txmusicman49
woopdedoo wrote:Well, actually, John Deutschendorf.



Spelling was never my strong point, especially when it involves foreign languages.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
killgory wrote:Rombauer chard is wonderful. Just about any chard from Carneros is good.

I hate unoaked Chard that ferments in stainless steel. Not only can I smell it, it leaves a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Oaked, buttery Chard is the only version that I can drink without wanting to spit it out.



It's so amazing how different palates are. To me, Rombauer Chard tastes like liquefied caramel popcorn, which is not very appealing to me.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
andyduncan wrote:How much of the fermentation happens in the barrels and how much happens beforehand in the fermenters? Also, could you talk about a little more about barrel fermentation? What are some of the challenges there? IE: how much racking, if any, do you do during barrel fermentation?



Hi Andy,

I think Katie may have left the building. I can't really speak for her or St. Francis, but I can give you some general answers. A lot of wineries put juice to barrel and inoculate barrels individually (labor intensive). Some inoculate in tankand wait until there's enough fermentation activity to keep the yeast evenly distributed, then put it to barrel. The main drawback with pumping fermenting juice is foaming. Imagine pumping sparkling wine, or even soda pop, into a barrel at 10 gallons a minute - foam city. You can't close valves against rapidly fermenting juice because it is generating CO2 very quickly; when you open the valve it's like opening a hot beer that has been vigorously shaken, and if you leave the valve closed too long the pressure can rupture wine hoses. It's highly impractical to rack during barrel fermentation. Typically the wine is left on fermentation lees after dryness and just topped (barrels are only filled about three quarters full for barrel fermentation in order to avoid massive messes and losses from foaming). Some rack the wine off lees post fermentation, but a common approach involves aging on the lees (sur lie). Many wineries stir up the lees regularly (batonage). This helps incorporate flavor from the lees (yeast cells and grape solids) and aids in clarification, as the solids seem to settle better with each stirring. White wines are more susceptible to oxidation and wineries try not to rack or move them any more than necessary,

csquared22


quality posts: 1 Private Messages csquared22

First of all, I want to say I'm a N00b, but I was out to dinner and the St. Francis Chard was on the menu so I ordered a glass and I thought I would share my impressions since I haven't seen any labrats check in.

First - it was served way too cold. I warmed it the best I could and it did get better.

There was very little on the nose. It started out very light, but there was an oily mouth feel. Then there were flavors of pear and butterscotch. It definitely had a wonderful acid finish with - I believe - lime. It paired nicely with the sea bass (garlic steamed) with soy and sticky rice.

I did not find this to be overly oaked at all. I found this a great wine to pair with fish, or just as a stand alone drinker. I would suggest that it not be overly chilled. This wine was much better after it warmed a bit.

I was already in for 1, but I think I will try to up my order.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
csquared22 wrote:I was out to dinner and the St. Francis Chard was on the menu so I ordered a glass and I thought I would share my impressions since I haven't seen any labrats check in.



AMAZING!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

csquared22


quality posts: 1 Private Messages csquared22
kylemittskus wrote:AMAZING!



Yes - it was lucky. It was a special - not usually offered at the restaurant. It was a nice suprise.

bardolator


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator
csquared22 wrote:Yes - it was lucky. It was a special - not usually offered at the restaurant. It was a nice suprise.


I'm sure the answer to this is "no," but just in case, I have to ask--not Bonefish?

(I've tried several surprisingly nice wines there recently that they've had for a "this week only" kind of thing, and it would be kinda cool to get to check this out.)

Edelfaeule


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Edelfaeule
csquared22 wrote:First of all, I want to say I'm a N00b, but I was out to dinner and the St. Francis Chard was on the menu so I ordered a glass and I thought I would share my impressions since I haven't seen any labrats check in.

First - it was served way too cold. I warmed it the best I could and it did get better.

There was very little on the nose. It started out very light, but there was an oily mouth feel. Then there were flavors of pear and butterscotch. It definitely had a wonderful acid finish with - I believe - lime. It paired nicely with the sea bass (garlic steamed) with soy and sticky rice.

I did not find this to be overly oaked at all. I found this a great wine to pair with fish, or just as a stand alone drinker. I would suggest that it not be overly chilled. This wine was much better after it warmed a bit.

I was already in for 1, but I think I will try to up my order.



Thank you for the review. I think I'm going to go for one.

wiggie2gone


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wiggie2gone

Finally a white. I bought it a day ago and I already have the shipping order number, love it. To bad I'm in a dry country might have to sit in the wine case for 6 months. If anyone tried it or does let me know how it tastes.

csquared22


quality posts: 1 Private Messages csquared22
bardolator wrote:I'm sure the answer to this is "no," but just in case, I have to ask--not Bonefish?

(I've tried several surprisingly nice wines there recently that they've had for a "this week only" kind of thing, and it would be kinda cool to get to check this out.)



No - not Bonefish, but if it was on special at one restaurant it might be at others.

vinokeeno


quality posts: 2 Private Messages vinokeeno

Full Lab Rat Phail on this one? This is unfortunate as it seems there are a lot of orders holding out for those reports.

My Cellar - "This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

wootwinesnob


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwinesnob

I was out of town at a conference and hadn't checked my e-mail since Thursday morning. I get home late last night, decide to read some e-mail before going to bed, and there is the e-mail telling me I am a Rat!

I'll go pick my bottle up from the UPS store this morning and post a report later this afternoon/early evening.

speedoo


quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
wootwinesnob wrote:I was out of town at a conference and hadn't checked my e-mail since Thursday morning. I get home late last night, decide to read some e-mail before going to bed, and there is the e-mail telling me I am a Rat!

I'll go pick my bottle up from the UPS store this morning and post a report later this afternoon/early evening.



Thanks, looking forward to your report, as I am very much on the fence. Also hoping for additional labrat reports.

vinokeeno


quality posts: 2 Private Messages vinokeeno
SF2009 wrote:Answer: The other 35% is mainly 2-3yr old oak but I tend to keep some coopers older than that because they've been so good to our chards over the years.



Heh... I originally read that as "manly" 2-3yr old oak. Took on a whole new meaning.

My Cellar - "This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
vinokeeno wrote:Heh... I originally read that as "manly" 2-3yr old oak. Took on a whole new meaning.



Paging Dr. Freud... Dr. Sigmund Freud please.

Only one rat has checking in huh? Once again, LabFail.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rpm


quality posts: 177 Private Messages rpm
Winedavid39 wrote:Quality proven vineyard, meticulous wine making, very good price. Those who poo poo chardonnay outright probably have not had a top notch chardonnay. I like these guys.



I am late to the party. Can you compare to the chardonnay you and I had on 3/26?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

wootwinesnob


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwinesnob

LAB RAT REPORT

First, I have to say that I wasn't going to buy this woot. I have plenty of Cali Chards in my cellar, along with a few White Burgundy's, and I generally don't like butter bombs or over-oaked whites. Due to a mix-up at wine county connect, I was labratted a bottle without purchasing. Error on WineDavid's part or sly move? Only WineDavid knows for sure.

I really like this wine. Can a Chardonnay be both buttery and crisp? This one is.

On to the review. I opened the bottle and poured my first glass. It has a nice clear/straw color; slight vanilla and pear on the nose; a little bit of oak, but not overwhelming. The wine is buttery in that it is kind of "thick" at first, filling my tongue, but has a very nice, crisp finish, with a hint of pear, tropical fruit, and maybe some honey.

I have a little of the Beehive cheese left (the Seahive, rubbed with salt and beehive honey); this wine goes really well with it.

I'm on my second glass and like it more with each sip. An earlier poster said something about pairing it with lobster; I may have to run to the market and buy a lobster tail to have with the rest of this wine.

IMHO, this is easily worth the $26 winery price and a bargain at the wine.woot price. I will be placing my order shortly.

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you WineDavid!

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:Paging Dr. Freud... Dr. Sigmund Freud please.

Only one rat has checking in huh? Once again, LabFail.



Well, there may only be one. There is only one wine, really. But I thought there would have been more... ah well.

Thanks to the rat, and the volrat - you are both now packed!

Question for wws: You say it was "buttery and crisp" - I experienced something very similar to this in another chard at a tasting I went to recently, except I described it more as "creamy and crisp". Given your description, would that be a more accurate term? I think most of us who think "buttery" tend to refer to the flavor, whereas "creamy" is that full mouthfeel you described. Were you getting a buttery flavor, or was it more the feel of it that led to that descriptor?

Thanks in advance for clarification

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

wootwinesnob


quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwinesnob
cheron98 wrote:Well, there may only be one. There is only one wine, really. But I thought there would have been more... ah well.

Thanks to the rat, and the volrat - you are both now packed!

Question for wws: You say it was "buttery and crisp" - I experienced something very similar to this in another chard at a tasting I went to recently, except I described it more as "creamy and crisp". Given your description, would that be a more accurate term? I think most of us who think "buttery" tend to refer to the flavor, whereas "creamy" is that full mouthfeel you described. Were you getting a buttery flavor, or was it more the feel of it that led to that descriptor?

Thanks in advance for clarification



Creamy would be a good way to describe it. It wasn't a buttery taste, just a feeling on the tongue; a creaminess that dissipated quickly, with a crisp finish. Hope that helps.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Sunday Morning at 10 am (PT). Must be time for .......




We can haz clue?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

billmort


quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmort

I just want to add that I hate each and every one of you... in for three bottles. My children will also hate you when they find out their college funds all went to wine woot.

winefarm


quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sunday Morning at 10 am (PT). Must be time for .......




We can haz clue?



clue?

Scrub.

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
winefarm wrote:clue?

Scrub.



Manzanita Creek?

There also seems to be a Manzanita Ridge winery, but they don't seem to have a web site.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
JOATMON wrote:Manzanita?



Manzinita Creek Winery has some nice looking wines (PS included), but small lots it seems (PS was only around 90 and the Syrah was 350 cases).


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Manzinita Creek Winery has some nice looking wines (PS included), but small lots it seems (PS was only around 90 and the Syrah was 350 cases).



WINE ENTHUSIAST
Editors Choice: 94 points

2005 Syrah
Handal Vineyard
Alexander Valley

Pretty big score.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
winefarm wrote:clue?

Scrub.



Stretching ..... Miley Cyrus used to "scrub toilets" ....

Alexander Valley Vineyards "once the original homestead of Cyrus Alexander, the namesake of this prominent viticultural appellation, Alexander Valley." have a Cyrus Bordeaux Blend - Cabernet Sauvignon (68%). Merlot (15%), Cabernet Franc (15%), Malbec (2%).

But doubt it ... usually clue is about winery not the wine.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Definition: "clean with force "

Synonyms: abrade, brush, buff, cleanse, mop, polish, rub, scour, wash


Definition: "cancel"

Synonyms: abandon, abolish, abort, call off, delete, discontinue, do away with, drop, forget about, give up


Abandon Wines --- Generations of Sonoma's alternate label to Highway 12.

Although looks like they only have a Chardonnay under Abandon label right now.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
MarkDaSpark wrote:Definition: "clean with force "

Synonyms: abrade, brush, buff, cleanse, mop, polish, rub, scour, wash


Definition: "cancel"

Synonyms: abandon, abolish, abort, call off, delete, discontinue, do away with, drop, forget about, give up


Abandon Wines --- Generations of Sonoma's alternate label to Highway 12.

Although looks like they only have a Chardonnay under Abandon label right now.



WD is a sports fan. I'm thinking it has something to do with a benchwarmer/second string.

signed.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Pardon the thread hijack, and maybe someone already posted this, but .....


Sink the Drink Tax click on the "Act Now" link to send an email or a secret! mail to your state reps now!


It's an easy link, and has text you can insert (click on red arrows) into the email body. You can also type your own text or add to their text.

We don't need more taxes on California Wines!


Ok, now back to the frenzied guessing of tonight's wine ....


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
MarkDaSpark wrote:Pardon the thread hijack, and maybe someone already posted this, but .....


Sink the Drink Tax click on the "Act Now" link to send an email or a secret! mail to your state reps now!


It's an easy link, and has text you can insert (click on red arrows) into the email body. You can also type your own text or add to their text.

We don't need more taxes on California Wines!


Ok, now back to the frenzied guessing of tonight's wine ....



That particular piece of legislation has already been withdrawn by the sponsor. By withdrawing, he can attempt to submit a modified version later, but he realized that he wasn't going to get the support now to get it passed.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

SonomaBouliste


quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
JOATMON wrote:That particular piece of legislation has already been withdrawn by the sponsor. By withdrawing, he can attempt to submit a modified version later, but he realized that he wasn't going to get the support now to get it passed.



I understand they're resubmitting the proposal as a "fee" rather than a tax, meaning they can get it passed with a simple majority. The fee will be imposed at the producer level, meaning it will double (or more) due to markups at each stage of the distribution chain by the time it gets to the consumer.

Would a scrub be a reserve?

JOATMON


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
SonomaBouliste wrote:I understand they're resubmitting the proposal as a "fee" rather than a tax, meaning they can get it passed with a simple majority. The fee will be imposed at the producer level, meaning it will double (or more) due to markups at each stage of the distribution chain by the time it gets to the consumer.



No, AB 1019 was the fee on alcohol, which was withdrawn by Beall April 27 when it failed it's first vote in committee.

http://www.mercurynews.com/politics/ci_12240645

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)