hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
bkbliesner wrote:Wine David,

Why is it that on Sunday night we were only able to order one unit? Now the normal ordering is in place. I would have bought more than one unit at that time.

Thanks in advance, Brian

Yeah, what he said.

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
bkbliesner wrote:
Wine David,

Why is it that on Sunday night we were only able to order one unit? Now the normal ordering is in place. I would have bought more than one unit at that time.

Thanks in advance, Brian

Write service@woot.com and ask if they can increase your order.

norvegicus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages norvegicus

In for two! Too bad I was too slow to be a labrat. At least I got two orders!

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

~~~ We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Not So Early Edition for the week of April 26
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

April
4/29: Chicago #?: PolarBears Out On The Town!

May
5/9: NYC #11: Mondavi Madness
5/15: Houston #1: Favorites for our First!
****5/15: NoVA/DC Special Event: Israeli Wine Tasting
5/16: Minnesota #6: Single Varietals
5/16: Detroit #6: Dark & Delicious
5/23: SoCal #9: An Evening with John Alan
5/30: Colorado #3: Sparkyclaus is Coming to Town!
****5/30: NoVA/DC #13: Start of the Summer

June
6/6: Dallas #3: Cravin’ Crepes Woot Wine Dinner
TBD: Connecticut #4
TBD: NYC #12
****TBD: Bay Area/NorCal Interest Thread

July
7/18: NYC/CT/NoVA/DC - Sip & Sail-Summer Wine Tasting Cruise Around Manhattan
It will be held aboard the Shearwater, a 1920's, 82 foot yacht. It sails from lower Manhattan (Battery Park City), rain or shine. Deadline to sign up is May 1st.
7/31-8/2: A Weekend With Scott Harvey in Michigan
****TBD: SoCal #10

August
8/15: Detroit #?: Superspryte is Back In Town!

Looking for some helping hands:

~~~We now return you to your regularly scheduled Wine Thread~~~

kurtswa

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kurtswa

In for two. Have really enjoyed Seven Hills wines and have a love for Walla Walla reds in general.
Great offering WD!

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123
coynedj wrote:Even though Cincinnati is named after a Roman, and Cleveland has a suburb that's even named Seven Hills, I think Rome is actually the original.

Not to be a stickler but Cincinnati is actually named after George Washington who was nicknamed Cincinnatus. So yes it is the name of a roman but not why it is called Cincinnati.
AD would be proud.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

Casey7Hills

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Casey7Hills
jplamb wrote:I'm excited to try the Seven Hills cabs, the only wine of theirs I've had was the 2005 Tempranillo and I enjoyed that so much I bought a case. I'm in, I just wish I could order more than 1.

Thanks so much for your vote of confidence in the Tempranillo. We produced the what is perhaps the first release of this varietal in the state in modern times, and now have 6 vintages released (02-06). Its one of the fastest growing niche varietals, and I see huge potential for its future.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 207 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

bkbliesner wrote:Wine David,

Thanks in advance, Brian

yea, sorry about that. it was mistakenly set at a max one setting. (Not all was lost, looks like we got Nallie to jump in..;) )

Feel free to contact service to make the change if needed. (you too Nallie)

Casey7Hills

I was at dinner in a local restaurant last night-very local, its in our winery building, and decided to open something old and rare in honor of our woot! presence this week. So..looking thru our unmatchable library of old vineyard designated Cabernets, I chose a 1994 Klipsun Vnyd. Same vines as the current offering, but only 5 years old back then. The wine had been held in our library since release. It was a warm vintage, and I sometimes think these don't hold in there quite as long as the cooler ones. But, the wine was amazing- we decanted it, and of course it was a bit closed and reductive for about 30 minutes. It then opened up into beautiful Cab bottle bouquet, aged blackberry, and cedary perfume. Color was still full purple, with just a hint of lighter red at the edges. Still some tannins left, and as this lot was only lightly filtered, significant inky-black sediment from 14 years on its side resting and waiting for last night. I hadn't had it in a couple of years. Bottom line: Klipsun Cab ages well. Don't hesitate to buy a bottle or two for the long haul. Happy drinking...

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
rpm wrote:That's where probably 60% of Napa and Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon was harvested before 1980.

I would have said pre 1990, with the other 40% at below 24. Even in the late 80's a lot of wineries had penalties if the grapes came in over 24.5.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
Casey7Hills wrote:I was at dinner in a local restaurant last night-very local, its in our winery building, and decided to open something old and rare in honor of our woot! presence this week. So..looking thru our unmatchable library of old vineyard designated Cabernets, I chose a 1994 Klipsun Vnyd. Same vines as the current offering, but only 5 years old back then. The wine had been held in our library since release. It was a warm vintage, and I sometimes think these don't hold in there quite as long as the cooler ones. But, the wine was amazing- we decanted it, and of course it was a bit closed and reductive for about 30 minutes. It then opened up into beautiful Cab bottle bouquet, aged blackberry, and cedary perfume. Color was still full purple, with just a hint of lighter red at the edges. Still some tannins left, and as this lot was only lightly filtered, significant inky-black sediment from 14 years on its side resting and waiting for last night. I hadn't had it in a couple of years. Bottom line: Klipsun Cab ages well. Don't hesitate to buy a bottle or two for the long haul. Happy drinking...

Still mulling this over. The '05 Klipsun sounds like a great wine to sit on for a few years, at least. The '06 Columbia Valley description gives the impression of more obvious oak influence like vanilla, and oak-derived spices. This isn't typically the flavor profile I prefer in a wine I'd drink in its youth. Is this one pretty much a fastball right down the middle, dark fruit and oak, or are there earthy and herbal nuances as well? What are the tannin levels (subjective impression, of course) in the '06 Columbia Valley?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
Casey7Hills wrote:too true. We are working on that for the next time...after all, Cincinnati is THE city of Seven Hills!

Casey...better make it happen or else we'll get rid of of Seven Hills, OH!!! ;-) A city in Cuyahoga County on the northern end of Ohio.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
Casey7Hills wrote:Maybe we'll woot the rare varietals on the next session. Stay tuned.....

too true. We are working on that for the next time...after all, Cincinnati is THE city of Seven Hills!

So this Thursday we'll have more 7 Hills with OH included??

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

auggie24 wrote:See PM about wootlegging.

But Wisconsin? Since when do they have draconian laws?

Vermont's in the "NO WINE FOR YOU!" category this week as well. Happens a few times a year. Certainly helps with the TIWBM.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

bkbliesner

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bkbliesner

Labrat report on the 05 Klipsun will be out in about 6 hours.

I am sure that this will likely be tastey and a good report. As their Syrah is fantastic. I have always liked their wines and am looking forward to the 05 Klipsun.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
boatman72 wrote:

So far he has not taken the bait ..

molmat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages molmat

Rat #2 checking in. I have the 06. I'm on the west coast, so it will be a little bit before I open it, but I'll try to keep it on the early side.

Casey7Hills

gcdyersb wrote:Still mulling this over. The '05 Klipsun sounds like a great wine to sit on for a few years, at least. The '06 Columbia Valley description gives the impression of more obvious oak influence like vanilla, and oak-derived spices. This isn't typically the flavor profile I prefer in a wine I'd drink in its youth. Is this one pretty much a fastball right down the middle, dark fruit and oak, or are there earthy and herbal nuances as well? What are the tannin levels (subjective impression, of course) in the '06 Columbia Valley?

Moderate tannin levels, whereas the Klipsun is much higher. I would say a fastball with a slight wiggle. Herbal nuances on the edges, some pretty blueberry flavor as well as some dark fruits. Oak presence, without it being the dominant note. I just tasted this with a wine writer this afternoon, so these are up to the hour impressions.

Casey7Hills

boatman72 wrote:too true. We are working on that for the next time...after all, Cincinnati is THE city of Seven Hills!

The woot powers that be decide that one....might take a little more time than Thursday to get OH in the program.

skchamberlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skchamberlin

Is this a wine I can chug?

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

skchamberlin wrote:Is this a wine I can chug?

Other than sparkling wines, pretty much any wine is chuggable. Typically, that is not among the top 5 characteristics one considers when purchasing wine.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

bkbliesner

Labrat report: Seven Hills 2005 Cabernet Klipsun Vineyard

First about me. I live in the Yakima Valley and thus maybe biased to the Yakima Valley Wines. Specifically the bigger reds - Cabernet, Syrah and Petite Sirah. Even though the Walla Walla wineries are close, my bias would be to the Yakima Valley region.

Color: Deep red like a nice ripe bing cherry.

Aroma: Touch of fruit, Raspberry mixed with Cherry with a subtle woody-oaky hint.

Taste: AWESOME, very nice. Smooth tannins not heavy or to fruity. Well balanced with a nice warm finish with no weird lingering flavors. Well made. Makes you want to drink more of it.

Conclusion: I will be increasing my order! If you have not purchased, you should, and don’t be shy about it at this price point. What a value! You will not be disappointed, unless you do not order any or not enough. The Seven Hills 05 Klipsun is a fantastic wine that could command a higher price point.

Thank you Wine Woot, for allowing me to complete my first wine review.

Brian

nwagner56

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nwagner56

Labrat Report - 2006 Columbia Valley

I have to admit I am a noob, really just starting to find out the wines I have a taste for. A long time woot customer, I have been pleased with my limited woot.wine purchases. I purchased this woot quickly as I saw there was only the option to purchase one and thought I was getting my hands on something of limited quantity. I was a little disappointed to find it was only an due to error there was only the option for one. Being selected a rat did rid me of any disappointment rather quickly.

I had hoped to decanter and spend a little more time to provide a proper report, but time unfortunately was not "on my side" this evening and I wanted to get something out there for those that may be waiting for a report.

I am no expert so I won't attempt to give you aromas and flavors I am not quite experienced enough to provide in fear of giving a false impression.

I poured a glass and let it sit for about 30 min. The smell didn't wow me with anything exciting, mostly warm, but it wasn't negative by any means. I will say this is a complex wine with a lot of flavors but also smooth. One swallow seems to have some fruity hints dancing around the tongue and the next is much more subtle.

I think the quality is easily there for the price, which is a little more than I typically spend, and I would have no problem recommending this wine. I initially was only going to have one glass, but I ended up pouring another small one.

I am definitely happy to have been chosen a rat for this one!

molmat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages molmat

Rat report on the 2006 Columbia Valley Cab

I'm fairly new to wine woot but not wine drinking. My 1st purchase was Kronos and even though I haven't opened them yet many purchases have quickly followed. Cab is my favorite varietal and I also have a soft spot for Syrah, but I enjoy many of the others as well. I'm in WA so got my start drinking local wines though I currently have a cellar very heavy in CA wines.

Now for the review...
I decanted about an hour before drinking.

Color: Dark purplish red and clear.
Aroma: moderate with red fruit and vanilla, no heat...smells very good

1st taste: a bit tart with low to medium tannins. I got some darker fruit and pepper. 1st impression was that it was OK, very drinkable, but not my favorite.

Paired with food (steak, roasted asparagus and sauteed portabellos): I liked it much better. I'd even say I liked it a lot. The food really smoothed the flavors out. I'm tasting more of the fruit, wouldn't call it a fruity wine though and a slight hint of the vanilla I was smelling earlier. It goes really well with the portabellos.

Bottom line I'm really enjoying this wine. I've poured another glass after dinner and it has continued to be very well balanced with a nice finish. I'd recommend giving it a little time to open up before drinking. I'm glad I went in for 2 and am really thinking of adding to it.

Thanks WD for the opportunity!

kikcolon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kikcolon

ahhh i see seven samurai, seven hills....meh.

akaufma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akaufma

Labrat: 2005 Seven Hills

Its allergy season here in the Midwest and the oaks are in full bloom so take this with a grain of pollen, I mean sand.

Color: Dark Purple and very thick looking. What I think of in a classic Cab.

Nose: As noted above, not a good time for a sniff. I did not detect anything and my wife said the same thing.

Taste:
My first thought is this wine is very dusty with via little oak. As the wine sat for a while it opened up and had more flavors. Not very good at identifying flavors so I won’t try. As we ate dinner, the wine went rather quickly and overall I would say the wine is good but not great. I think over time, the wine will hold up to cellaring and become better. I don’t plan on opening my order for several years. Overall score: 91-92

WineDavid, thanks for the chance to add my 2 cents.

Aaron

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote:That's where probably 60% of Napa and Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon was harvested before 1980.

rpm, see PM, please.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
bkbliesner wrote:Labrat report: Seven Hills 2005 Cabernet Klipsun Vineyard
nwagner56 wrote:Labrat Report - 2006 Columbia Valley
molmat wrote:Rat report on the 2006 Columbia Valley Cab
akaufma wrote:Labrat: 2005 Seven Hills

That has to be the most rapid-fire labrattery yet. Good job all. I'd say you deserve a prize, but you did already get wine :-)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

am I right in thinking that it was hinted inadvertently that we'll have another fine offering from this same winery tonight? (Hey, kids, collect 'em all !)

Some intriguing library wines there but I'd think in too short supply for Woot and also likely price/discount hurdles.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

bkbliesner

andyduncan wrote:That has to be the most rapid-fire labrattery yet. Good job all. I'd say you deserve a prize, but you did already get wine :-)

Correct and a nice prize it was!

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

smartheart wrote:am I right in thinking that it was hinted inadvertently that we'll have another fine offering from this same winery tonight? (Hey, kids, collect 'em all !)

Some intriguing library wines there but I'd think in too short supply for Woot and also likely price/discount hurdles.

In a word, no. in this case seven = 1

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
andyduncan wrote:That has to be the most rapid-fire labrattery yet. Good job all. I'd say you deserve a prize, but you did already get wine :-)

Sure made packing easy.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Winedavid39 wrote:In a word, no. in this case seven = 1

So then, good sir, can we have a clue?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kurter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kurter
speedoo wrote:You can now buy more than one set.

I'm interested in discussing the relative QPR of Washington/Oregon reds vs. California. Would you consider expanding on your opinion in a thread in the "World of Woot Wine" area?

I think the quality price ratio favors washington , france italy spain just about anywhere other than california. Washington cabs have more flavor per dollar than just about any other appelation

kurter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kurter
speedoo wrote:You can now buy more than one set.

I'm interested in discussing the relative QPR of Washington/Oregon reds vs. California. Would you consider expanding on your opinion in a thread in the "World of Woot Wine" area?

I think the quality price ratio favors washington , france italy spain just about anywhere other than california. Washington cabs have more flavor per dollar than just about any other appelation

Casey7Hills

I've enjoyed my first foray into the wine woot world. Thank you all for your lively discussions and of course your purchases!

We'll see what we can ferment up for next time....

Please put Walla Walla on your list of wine regions to visit. Our valley is a relaxed, fun place to wine tour. So take that voyage of discovery..

Cheers,

Casey

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
kurter wrote:I think the quality price ratio favors washington , france italy spain just about anywhere other than california. Washington cabs have more flavor per dollar than just about any other appelation

Go see the other thread where I (and others) disagree with you and give specific examples.

And I'm sorry... France?... seriously?... especially after what 2005 did to their pricing structure? I respectfully and whole heartedly disagree.

If I'm looking for real value plays right now, I'm tasting a lot of the outstanding offerings from Chile and South Africa. Not buying many yet but their quality is definitely on the rise.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL
spdrcr05 wrote:Go see the other thread where I (and others) disagree with you and give specific examples.

And I'm sorry... France?... seriously?... especially after what 2005 did to their pricing structure? I respectfully and whole heartedly disagree.

If I'm looking for real value plays right now, I'm tasting a lot of the outstanding offerings from Chile and South Africa. Not buying many yet but their quality is definitely on the rise.

For this offering I tend to agree. It would have been much more intriguing at $39 or even compelling for slightly less. I think there was room to do so. I threw down but then canceled. Buyer's remorse. Casey - Will look forward to another go, maybe soon?

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
spdrcr05 wrote:And I'm sorry... France?... seriously?... especially after what 2005 did to their pricing structure? I respectfully and whole heartedly disagree.

Depends on which part of France. The Loire and Languedoc put out some very nice juice at modest prices. If you like interesting, honest (often somewhat rustic) wines that aren't spoofulated, France beats just about everyone else hands down. Just as California is more than Napa, the solid values are found outside of Bordeaux, Burgundy and the upper echelon Rhone appellations. But you do have to wade through some junk to find them.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cheron98 wrote:So then, good sir, can we have a clue?

you want a clue?

Lighten' up ________