Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
boaz38 wrote:Ok, I will settle with the status quo- but i still think its hinky! I've always been one to shoot first and answer questions later. I just ask that if you are 310 at least back statements with some notes. Just sayin

Don't forget that some of us post all the time and still aren't worth listening to with regards to our opinions on wine. ;D

MERCHANT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MERCHANT
koneco wrote:If any of those 3.6+ are Lupine Hill, watch out. Not many were happy with that offering.

This brings up a question that has been bothering me for awhile: We all place a lot of our purchasing decisions upon lab rat reports. Why are non-ratting people not adding their experiences about an offering after the close of a sale? Going back and looking at older messages, the only post-offering postings tend to be about delivery issues. More info other than from those chosen few could be helpful for those, like myself, who are still learning. Sometimes rats may leave stuff out, and sometimes people may disagree with what the rats had posted.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
MERCHANT wrote:This brings up a question that has been bothering me for awhile: We all place a lot of our purchasing decisions upon lab rat reports. Why are non-ratting people not adding their experiences about an offering after the close of a sale? Going back and looking at older messages, the only post-offering postings tend to be about delivery issues. More info other than from those chosen few could be helpful for those, like myself, who are still learning. Sometimes rats may leave stuff out, and sometimes people may disagree with what the rats had posted.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to create threads in the community forum for "woot wine tasting notes post purchase"

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
MarkDaSpark wrote:WineDavid,

Any thoughts on when Summer Shipping rates will take effect?

It's been hot in SoCal lately (90º+ inland today), but cooling off tomorrow. And it was 97º Sunday and 98º yesterday.

And I know other regions have also had concerns about high temps.

Possible snow (35- 48)in OH tonight, then getting back to normal(60-70) by weekend. How long that lasts depends on direction of wind (north out of Canada or south from the Gulf)

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL
rpm wrote:Perhaps it would be worthwhile to create threads in the community forum for "woot wine tasting notes post purchase"

Agreed. I have a number of wine woots I've purchased doing bottle time in the cellar that I still haven't popped cork one. I'm sure I'm not alone.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
BobboinAVL wrote:Agreed. I have a number of wine woots I've purchased doing bottle time in the cellar that I still haven't popped cork one. I'm sure I'm not alone.

cellartracker might be of some help in this as well if you look at notes

kurtswa

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kurtswa
MERCHANT wrote:This brings up a question that has been bothering me for awhile: We all place a lot of our purchasing decisions upon lab rat reports. Why are non-ratting people not adding their experiences about an offering after the close of a sale? Going back and looking at older messages, the only post-offering postings tend to be about delivery issues. More info other than from those chosen few could be helpful for those, like myself, who are still learning. Sometimes rats may leave stuff out, and sometimes people may disagree with what the rats had posted.

I, for one, was not happy with the Lupine offering. Almost undrinkable for me.

jonstrib

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jonstrib
BobboinAVL wrote:Agreed. I have a number of wine woots I've purchased doing bottle time in the cellar that I still haven't popped cork one. I'm sure I'm not alone.

totally agree and raised this point about a year ago. a post-purchase/taste thread would be much more valuable than a simple CT entry and would promote more detailed discussion than merely an often useless CT comment.

schuey

quality posts: 8 Private Messages schuey
clayfu wrote:I'm a lab rat , beware.

Break it down for us clayfu!
One thing I know I can count on from you is an honest assessment.

MERCHANT

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MERCHANT
kurtswa wrote:I, for one, was not happy with the Lupine offering. Almost undrinkable for me.

That's exactly the type of feedback that is needed! When I get around to trying mine, I have been forewarned: I may want to try a bottle alone before sharing with someone. Maybe it needs rest after transit. Maybe decanting/aerating would help. Maybe not. Maybe just personal taste. But thank you for this info. If we just add the comments to the existing thread, as long as it exists, we can look for it.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
clayfu wrote:cellartracker might be of some help in this as well if you look at notes

Not all of us do cellartracker, though.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

jcastagno

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcastagno
kurtswa wrote:I, for one, was not happy with the Lupine offering. Almost undrinkable for me.

I would agree, dont have any "notes" per se, actually gave the second bottle to my son... i know i know, but he is a college kid and still thinks wine is wine...

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
MERCHANT wrote:That's exactly the type of feedback that is needed! When I get around to trying mine, I have been forewarned: I may want to try a bottle alone before sharing with someone. Maybe it needs rest after transit. Maybe decanting/aerating would help. Maybe not. Maybe just personal taste. But thank you for this info. If we just add the comments to the existing thread, as long as it exists, we can look for it.

I went back and looked at the tasting notes - all of them were positive and thought it had good QPR. There was agreement on the need to decant. Haven't tried mine either.

clayfu

coynedj wrote:Not all of us do cellartracker, though.

I understand, but if looking for notes, there should be quite a few on cellartracker for most woot purchases. They can all be viewed by the public, even if every purchaser doesn't post their thoughts on CT.

clayfu

schuey wrote:Break it down for us clayfu!
One thing I know I can count on from you is an honest assessment.

I'll have an initial impression around 6pm, then a few wine collecting buddies of mine will be over at 9:30 and we can break it down then.

If need be, I'll report back the next afternoon as well if it hasn't opened up properly by midnight.

Toffeeking

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
purpleteeth wrote:just ordered one..but in the process it said they highly recommend shipping to a business address. Does anybody know why?

We just sent a wooter a box with 9lbs of toffee that was delivered to a front porch and sat most the day. There was no problems with the temp. but now the squirrels look like the rat on page 5 or 6 of this blog.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
Toffeeking wrote:We just sent a wooter a box with 9lbs of toffee that was delivered to a front porch and sat most the day. There was no problems with the temp. but now the squirrels look like the rat on page 5 or 6 of this blog.

as do I...after eating all of that crazy addicting stuff that you claim is toffee Really though, amazing product! Glad to see you're still around, thank you!

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bkarney wrote:as do I...after eating all of that crazy addicting stuff that you claim is toffee Really though, amazing product! Glad to see you're still around, thank you!

After much pondering I've decided the recipe for their toffee must be equal parts butter, sugar, crack, and MSG.

Nothing else would explain it...

Oh yeah, waiting for 'rat reports.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
coynedj wrote:Not all of us do cellartracker, though.

I have never been very impressed with Cellar Tracker. The notes are usually less than helpful.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

shastn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shastn

I have posted notes on some purchases, in the past, but admit I have not done so for some time, now. I get the sense that few people check those threads later to see any notes posted, anyway, so RPM's suggestion of a separate thread may be a better plan.

clayfu

rpm wrote:I have never been very impressed with Cellar Tracker. The notes are usually less than helpful.

some notes are better than no notes yes?

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose
shastn wrote:I have posted notes on some purchases, in the past, but admit I have not done so for some time, now. I get the sense that few people check those threads later to see any notes posted, anyway, so RPM's suggestion of a separate thread may be a better plan.

i dont know about the separate thread... how are you going to search it for specific notes? i just check cellar tracker for wooter notes, usually people post comments there, or i check the threads, or i just form my own opinions :P

NYC!

coynedj

clayfu wrote:some notes are better than no notes yes?

Not if those notes are less than helpful. Sounds like negative helpfulness to me.

And I agree - the notes often lack value. Besides, the idea was to allow we wooters to comment on wines well after they were sent - why limit it to cellartracker participants only?

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

kblais

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kblais
rpm wrote:I have never been very impressed with Cellar Tracker. The notes are usually less than helpful.

I think CT is hit and miss. When there are a fair number (more than a half dozen) of actual reviews (not just posting a number with no remarks), it's useful, and I personally trust multiple reviews by ordinary people more than wine advocate, spectator, etc.

kblais

MERCHANT wrote:...Why are non-ratting people not adding their experiences about an offering after the close of a sale? Going back and looking at older messages, the only post-offering postings tend to be about delivery issues. More info other than from those chosen few could be helpful for those, like myself, who are still learning. Sometimes rats may leave stuff out, and sometimes people may disagree with what the rats had posted.

I went back and posted on the Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio thread after the fact, but stopped doing so as it was clear people had moved on to the newer offerings, and the thread was dead.

hanchyang

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hanchyang
shastn wrote:I have posted notes on some purchases, in the past, but admit I have not done so for some time, now. I get the sense that few people check those threads later to see any notes posted, anyway, so RPM's suggestion of a separate thread may be a better plan.

As a novice wine drinker, I often check back on the original offer threads for tasting notes prior to opening a bottle I purchased from Woot. I'm in favor of people posting back in the original thread. (Kudos to fairnymph for posting a bunch of notes on the original threads a few weeks ago!) Having a separate thread means that I'll have to go find TWO threads for tasting notes.

clayfu

kblais wrote:I think CT is hit and miss. When there are a fair number (more than a half dozen) of actual reviews (not just posting a number with no remarks), it's useful, and I personally trust multiple reviews by ordinary people more than wine advocate, spectator, etc.

agreed, as long as they have some words after their note of actual descriptions, i think that's a helpful note.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
hanchyang wrote:As a novice wine drinker, I often check back on the original offer threads for tasting notes prior to opening a bottle I purchased from Woot. I'm in favor of people posting back in the original thread. (Kudos to fairnymph for posting a bunch of notes on the original threads a few weeks ago!) Having a separate thread means that I'll have to go find TWO threads for tasting notes.

I agree that the original thread would be the easiest place to find things - I have gone back to the original threads on the *other* woot site to check user experiences, which have been helpful. Also, in the Map of Woot Wineries (in signature below) I keep a list of the wineries in alpha order with links to all of the offerings, so you could use that as a quick starting point.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

MERCHANT wrote:That's exactly the type of feedback that is needed! When I get around to trying mine, I have been forewarned: I may want to try a bottle alone before sharing with someone. Maybe it needs rest after transit. Maybe decanting/aerating would help. Maybe not. Maybe just personal taste. But thank you for this info. If we just add the comments to the existing thread, as long as it exists, we can look for it.

We are surprised there isn't more tasting feedback occurring and encourage everyone to do so. i do personally check the threads for feedback ( for instance, there's some fresh tasting notes on the Kent Rasmussen Pinot thread) and yes i did see a couple of negatives on the Lupine Hill threads ( i REALLY liked the 04.. go figure). Of course people returning is the best indicator, but we are interested in making the post woot feedback experience a positive one for both the person posting and those seeking their opinions. I’m not convinced the current set up is not adequately organized to handle increased opinions, but certainly receptive to ideas.

yonj46

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yonj46

There is a dinner in Dallas this week with Nigel
http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/283749/6de394b212/1346000485/361cc83f7b/

Only 1 Krupp brothers wine on the agenda but all Nigel creations

I jsut got an email regarding it for any of the wooters in DFW

clayfu

Winedavid39 wrote:We are surprised there isn't more tasting feedback occurring and encourage everyone to do so. i do personally check the threads for feedback ( for instance, there's some fresh tasting notes on the Kent Rasmussen Pinot thread) and yes i did see a couple of negatives on the Lupine Hill threads ( i REALLY liked the 04.. go figure). Of course people returning is the best indicator, but we are interested in making the post woot feedback experience a positive one for both the person posting and those seeking their opinions. I’m not convinced the current set up is not adequately organized to handle increased opinions, but certainly receptive to ideas.

A new forum perhaps that is devoted just to tasting notes?

Each thread is a different wine? (I guess that's the way it is right now.. haha... just in this case it's devoted purely to tasting notes and discussions)

coynedj

clayfu wrote:A new forum perhaps that is devoted just to tasting notes?

Each thread is a different wine? (I guess that's the way it is right now.. haha... just in this case it's devoted purely to tasting notes and discussions)

Another category, just for later postings, without the pictures of the bottles so more can fit on the front page?

That way, shipping issues can stay on the main threads but if you just opened that bottle of Swedish Hill Riesling you can tell everyone about it on the "So, what did you think?" thread.

mlarson25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlarson25
clayfu wrote:A new forum perhaps that is devoted just to tasting notes?

Second the motion.

popo212

quality posts: 0 Private Messages popo212

Good news for Kansans. WOOT will be able to ship to Kansas effective July 1, 2009
Let my pinot go!

Kansas wine drinkers can now order wine to be shipped directly to their homes under legislation signed Monday. Previously, oenophiles could order from out-of-state wineries, but the wine had to be shipped to a local liquor store.

Shipments are limited to no more than 12 cases a year. Many states, including Missouri, already allow home shipments from most wineries.

The new law, which goes into effect July 1, also permits the sale of wine at farmers markets, and expands alcohol sales at outdoor festivals. In both cases, the sales would need to be authorized by local officials.

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

The issue I see with adding tasting notes either in the original thread or a separate forum just for them is that many of us are saving at least some of our wines for the future. Searching for the correct thread becomes more of an issue the longer time passes, even with the search feature.

With Cellar Tracker I can go to the specific bottle much more easily. Of course that means going off-site, and as rpm says there's a lot of chaff to sift through. They do however allow you to create a list of favorite tasters (or alternately one to ignore) which increases its usefulness.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
boaz38 wrote:Ok, I will settle with the status quo- but i still think its hinky! I've always been one to shoot first and answer questions later. I just ask that if you are 310 at least back statements with some notes. Just sayin

So... you would exclude yourself, at only a little over 200 posts?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury
yumitori wrote:The issue I see with adding tasting notes either in the original thread or a separate forum just for them is that many of us are saving at least some of our wines for the future. Searching for the correct thread becomes more of an issue the longer time passes, even with the search feature.

FWIW, if you go into "My Account," you can see what you ordered and it has a link to both the blog and discussion forum for that particular wine. So, as long as you ordered the wine, it shouldn't be too hard to find the forum for it.

clayfu

Hi,

Bottle landed at my locker at 3. I arrived at 3:15 to pick it up. Ripped open the box.

Bottle is quite warm to the touch. Popped it open immediately at the locker, Took a sip, had my friend who owns the storage facility take a sip.

No heat damage that is apparent. Will toss it in the fridge, a bit closed right now and come back to it later at night.

Absolutely horrible time to ship in CA right now without any sort of cooling method. It's roughly 90 degrees all through California with record highs of 100+ in Los Angeles/Valley. This wasn't heat damaged, but there is a chance my 3 day ground shipment will be. It's about 75 degrees at night. I wouldn't be worried if it came in styrofoam since it usually travels at night and sits in a warehouse during the day.. but it was in the pulp. Gotta be around 80+ degrees in more warehouses right now in CA.

kblais

annsalisbury wrote:FWIW, if you go into "My Account," you can see what you ordered and it has a link to both the blog and discussion forum for that particular wine. So, as long as you ordered the wine, it shouldn't be too hard to find the forum for it.

I agree with that, and use it myself. I'll make a point to add tasting notes in the future.

jhouston

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhouston

mmmm...Veraison.

This is a great wine. The Veraison wines may be a little more expensive than what some people on the boards may be used to but they are an amazing "bang for your buck" deal at retail and to get them at this price point is a no-brainer.

In for 3 and gifting myself another 3.

Look forward to the rat opinions.

-jh