JesuitRC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JesuitRC

Everybody this is a steal. I'm in there mailing list and wine club and this wine has never been so cheap. I'm gonna buy two just because its at this price.

KruppBrothers

quality posts: 20 Private Messages KruppBrothers
rpm wrote:Thanks. I didn't mean to imply you were looking for higher sugars, I guess I was not being precise, rather that the flavors you're looking for don't develop until you reach higher Brix levels. Interesting. I guess I have to taste it to understand what you're actually doing that gets you balance and 'not a fruit bomb' with the high levels of pH and alcohol. As someone said, it's not all in the numbers, but the neither are the numbers meaningless. What sort of yields per acre are you getting from the blocks that went into this wine?

Thanks again for your questions! It's fun to get into the details from time to time. When all is done, what matters most is if we've made a superb bottle of wine. I hope you check back in with us and let us know what you think.

We pulled an average of 3.3 tons/acre in 2004 from these blocks. Unfortunately, I don't have specifics for each varietal handy. But hopefully that should give you an idea.

Thanks!

huktunfonikz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages huktunfonikz

oh man this is hard to resist. the profile sounds delicious.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
clayfu wrote:agreed. I have a bottle of white zin in my storage right now.
Seriously I do.

wouldn't that be Crljenak kastelanski blanc?

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
andyduncan wrote:I don't believe it when people say they "don't have a style" they're either lying, or don't truly understand their own tastes.

Were things too slow on the boards? ...

jcastagno

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcastagno

Hey maybe you guys could take a break from the board and get some copying done on the XEROX in the break room... yeah that would be great! Oh yeah if you get a paper cut I think there are some bandaids in the first aid kit... on the right under the sink.

... and im in for 2

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon

Ooo, so hard to say no... If only I didn't want to try everything I see on wine.woot...

And this makes it even harder for me not to splurge:

KruppBrothers wrote:I think for a new wine drinker, this is a great way to treat yourself to a fabulous wine from a famous vineyard at a very reasonable price. This is a great wine for a "newbie."

0U812

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 0U812
jcastagno wrote:Hey maybe you guys could take a break from the board and get some copying done on the XEROX in the break room... yeah that would be great! Oh yeah if you get a paper cut I think there are some bandaids in the first aid kit... on the right under the sink.

... and im in for 2

Makin' copies... In for three.

Moondragon

0U812 wrote:Makin' copies... In for three.

The OU-meister, makin' copies. In for three-ster. Tres-aroonie.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Out of curiosity, how does one come up for a per bottle price? I have a general idea--rating, method of harvest, harvest yields, etc. but it would be nice to hear from a winemaker, if you don't mind. I'm then also curious as to how/why you'd offer such a great deal here.

Just curious, and hope this doesn't sound ill-intentioned, as that snot what I'm aiming for.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

How does your winery decide on the percentages of grapes that go into Synchrony? Assuming it changes from year to year, what do you aim for in the wine? Consistent taste from year to year? The best blend? Is it sitting in the lab and letting the good Dr. Krupp go crazy blending in a bunch of flasks? A field blend?

Thanks!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
KruppBrothers wrote:Thanks for your question. I think for a new wine drinker, this is a great way to treat yourself to a fabulous wine from a famous vineyard at a very reasonable price. This is a great wine for a "newbie."

Thanks for answering the question. Your participation on the board made it so hard to pass up such an offer. WW is gonna put me in the poor house.

Edit: Last wooter to woot: CAGrl

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
otolith wrote:Out of curiosity, how does one come up for a per bottle price? I have a general idea--rating, method of harvest, harvest yields, etc. but it would be nice to hear from a winemaker, if you don't mind. I'm then also curious as to how/why you'd offer such a great deal here.

Just curious, and hope this doesn't sound ill-intentioned, as that snot what I'm aiming for.

I don't mind jumping in, only because I don't expect the winery to be as honest. It's mostly supply and demand - if last year's vintage sold out six months before this year's vintage is ready, the price is going to go up. If they've still got a cellar full of last year's wine when this year's is ready to bottle, there will be some dealing going on, whether by woot or some other interwebz retailer or special allowances for their regular distributors. Lowering the list price will be the last option. But since most of the costs will be sunk long before the wine ever hits the market, cost only influences how much they want to get - at that point it's pretty much what the market will bear. And that's assuming cash flow isn't an issue - when you've got suppliers needing (or demanding) cash and your only assets are in the cellar, cost is even less of a factor.

Cost comes into play when a winery is deciding how much to spend today based on how much they estimate they'll be able to sell their product for a year or 3 in the future. No wonder there's some serious margin in it for the successful ones - it's more than offset by the losses sustained by the rest. No matter how much money we wooters think we're losing by buying this stuff, it's nothing compared to the people making it.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

Whif98

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Whif98

Top notch wine. Wine maker provides grapes to other high end wine makers who reap Dr. Krupps hard work for their own reward. Try anything made by Krupp Brother's

kblais

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kblais
spdrcr05 wrote:Found a tasting note on this page.

"Acid-balanced in mouthfeel, this will probably be a delicious food wine, if not exciting on its own."

Hrmm. Have been holding off because I have enough 14.5%+ and 3.6+pH wines in my cellar. But then I read that in the tasting notes above. (And then there's the deal.) I just don't get how you can have a pH of 3.97 and find someone saying this wine is "acid-balanced" and a good food wine. I think I need to hear from rats on this one.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
clayfu wrote:I think the main reason are..

#1 business addresses get their wine earlier in the day so heat isn't much of an issue
#2 someone is almost always around for a business opposed to at home
#3 shipping to businesses is cheaper via UPS/Fedex than home.

Also, people who work there, the receptionist in particular, are often above the age of 21! Anyone can sign in the case another is not there. At my office, the delivery guy casually announces that 'Brian's weekly shipment of booze is in!'

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
kblais wrote:"Acid-balanced in mouthfeel, this will probably be a delicious food wine, if not exciting on its own."

Hrmm. Have been holding off because I have enough 14.5%+ and 3.6+pH wines in my cellar. But then I read that in the tasting notes above. (And then there's the deal.) I just don't get how you can have a pH of 3.97 and find someone saying this wine is "acid-balanced" and a good food wine. I think I need to hear from rats on this one.

If any of those 3.6+ are Lupine Hill, watch out. Not many were happy with that offering.

hokiesfanoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hokiesfanoe

Kansas did it!

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/18123

wine.woot, here comes kansas 12 bottles at a time!

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
koneco wrote:Also, people who work there, the receptionist in particular, are often above the age of 21! Anyone can sign in the case another is not there. At my office, the delivery guy casually announces that 'Brian's weekly shipment of booze is in!'

And then there's the sobriety factor - at most businesses there's at least one person sober enough to sign.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
kblais wrote:"Acid-balanced in mouthfeel, this will probably be a delicious food wine, if not exciting on its own."

Probably the perception of balance has more to do with high levels of extraction and lots of very ripe tannins. Certainly the MacCallum CF I ratted last week was not a low pH wine, but the level of 'stuffing' helped balance the sweeter disposition (plus the alcohol level was around 14%). OK, so it's a red meat and stinky cheese wine, that's good. But what happens when the tannins and extract start to precipitate out over time?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

KruppBrothers

otolith wrote:How does your winery decide on the percentages of grapes that go into Synchrony? Assuming it changes from year to year, what do you aim for in the wine? Consistent taste from year to year? The best blend? Is it sitting in the lab and letting the good Dr. Krupp go crazy blending in a bunch of flasks? A field blend?

Thanks!

Great question. We first made this wine in 2001. Our goal was to make a blend using only Bordeaux varietals. At the time, we only had to choose from: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Malbec. We had Petit Verdot planted at Stagecoach Vineyard at the time, but the vines had not matured to the point where we could use the grapes at that time. Back in 2001, the blend was dominated by Cab Sauv with lesser amounts of the other varietals.

In 2002 and in subsequent years, we decided that we liked keeping the blend to those 4 varietals. 2002 again was a Cab Sauv dominated blend.

In 2003, we decided we wanted to make our Synchrony blend in a style that set it apart from our Veraison Cabernet Sauvignon. About this time, our Cab Franc from Stagecoach was really coming into its own. So, in 2003 and 2004, we've made Cab Franc one of the dominant varietals. We still use quite a bit of Cab Sauv to provide backbone and structure.

As far as the percentages go, that varies from year to year. But from 2003 onwards, you can expect Cab Franc to play a leading role in this wine. Cab Sauv plays an important role too. Merlot and Malbec have always played supporting roles.

Hope this helps!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 212 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

hokiesfanoe wrote:Kansas did it!

http://primebuzz.kcstar.com/?q=node/18123

wine.woot, here comes kansas 12 bottles at a time!

looking very closely at KS. TN was a false alarm (always is).

samamiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samamiller

I pay over $40 wholesale, so it's a good deal. It's yummy juice too.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

wolfen18

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfen18

Baby rat here...back to bed as the Freakishly large puppy has been taken outside. OK...he's not a freak...they're supposed to be that big.

edit: and in case I wasn't clear enough with my before coffee post.....
I'm a Lab Rat.

kblais

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kblais
koneco wrote:If any of those 3.6+ are Lupine Hill, watch out. Not many were happy with that offering.

I skipped that one.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38
JesuitRC wrote:Everybody this is a steal. I'm in there mailing list and wine club and this wine has never been so cheap. I'm gonna buy two just because its at this price.

Three to ten woots and you joined dec 08 equals no street cred in my book

boaz38

Whif98 wrote:Top notch wine. Wine maker provides grapes to other high end wine makers who reap Dr. Krupps hard work for their own reward. Try anything made by Krupp Brother's

Ditto for this guy, you just cannot come on this board with such credentials and expect me to believe you....where ya been the other 364 days? three to ten woots since 4/08? Please leave tasting notes on your way out....thank you!!

cameo932

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cameo932

Re: lab rats

Just for my own clarification...I know the time limit to get in the be considered a rat, however, it looks like some people are aware of their rat status REALLY early this morning, are email notifications of such high-level wonderfulness now being sent (I assume so those chosen ones know to watch for it and/or go pick it up)? Also, how many rats are chosen per offering? One per bottle offered? (this looks like the case, but I'm just asking for specificity - I love that word....)

Thanks!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
boaz38 wrote:Three to ten woots and you joined dec 08 equals no street cred in my book

The real issues are wih people who joined within a week and have no woots. There are a lot of wooters who rarely post, but will speak up if they see something they're very familiar with and relly like. Let's not criticize them for that fact alone. I'd rather encourage them to post more often, than shout at them when they do.

PS: I have only three to ten woots since Dec 08 myself.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cameo932 wrote:Re: lab rats

Just for my own clarification...I know the time limit to get in the be considered a rat, however, it looks like some people are aware of their rat status REALLY early this morning, are email notifications of such high-level wonderfulness now being sent (I assume so those chosen ones know to watch for it and/or go pick it up)? Also, how many rats are chosen per offering? One per bottle offered? (this looks like the case, but I'm just asking for specificity - I love that word....)

Thanks!

I believe WD is sending notifications out via PM and/or email, since a suggestion last year. We had several miss out on picking up the labrat packages since they didn't know it was coming to them.

Normally, IIRC, WD will send out 2 labrats per bottle. So if one is a Merlot, and one is a Zin, you will have 4 rats. Since this is only one bottle, there should be only 2 rats, unless it's new, and WD may decide to send out more.

The Mandolina case offer was the exception, as WD sent 2 different bottles to each labrat.

Check out the Labrat thread (I posted a link on page one to it, along with some other info on labratting) that Cheron created and has been kindly updating each offer with the labrat reports.

Also, sometimes WD will include something from the next offer (Thursday's), but they aren't allowed to say anything until the new offer is up. Usually it's on the non-wine products (cheese, spreads, etc.).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:The real issues are wih people who joined within a week and have no woots. There are a lot of wooters who rarely post, but will speak up if they see something they're very familiar with and relly like. Let's not criticize them for that fact alone. I'd rather encourage them to post more often, than shout at them when they do.

I agree. In fact, there was a long-time wooter (2005) who posted their first (and still only) post in one of the Sangria threads last year.

So many times people like to lurk and only post on something that they really like. Unlike some of us ...... who post at the drop of a hat

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
MarkDaSpark wrote:I agree. In fact, there was a long-time wooter (2005) who posted their first (and still only) post in one of the Sangria threads last year.

So many times people like to lurk and only post on something that they really like. Unlike some of us ...... who post at the drop of a hat

I gotta agree. Join date of today and no woots is suspect. But a couple purchases in four months seems relatively legit.

*picks up Sparky's hat*

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

MarkDaSpark

WineDavid,

Any thoughts on when Summer Shipping rates will take effect?

It's been hot in SoCal lately (90º+ inland today), but cooling off tomorrow. And it was 97º Sunday and 98º yesterday.

And I know other regions have also had concerns about high temps.

KruppBrothers

Good morning, everyone!

Thanks again for all of the great questions and comments yesterday. We appreciate your interest in our Veraison Synchrony. We really look forward to hearing from those of you who purchased the wines to hear your thoughts and feedback.

And for those of you who haven't purchased yet, please let us know your concerns and we'll try to answer any questions you may have!

A big question on here yesterday was regarding pH, alcohol, acidity, and food-friendliness. I explained yesterday how our environment at Stagecoach Vineyard - the rocky terrain, elevation, climate, and stress on the vines - influences our farming techniques and picking decisions, and how although some might assume the pH levels mean low acidity and a poor wine with food, that isn't the case with this wine. Today, I'll take a bit of a different approach...

As the write-up on the wine.woot! main page says, we sell most of the grapes coming off of Stagecoach Vineyard (in fact, over 90%) to other wineries throughout Napa Valley. Last year over four dozen wineries purchased Stagecoach grapes for their wines. So if you haven't had Krupp Brothers wines and are looking for something to compare them to, I'd encourage you to Google "Stagecoach Vineyard" and find a sampling of other wineries using Stagecoach fruit. Likewise, you can Google "Pritchard Hill," which is where Stagecoach is located in Napa, to find some of the other wineries in our neighborhood. Chances are if you like some of those wines, you'll like ours. True, every wine is different. But at least this might provide you with a basis for comparison and some familiarity with Krupp Brothers wines.

We look forward to chatting throughout the day!

Moondragon

Score! Tax refund just deposited early. In for 1!

Edit: Actually, I just remembered that I'm the only wino in this house. In for 1... I'll risk being sad I don't have more.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

coynedj wrote:The real issues are wih people who joined within a week and have no woots. There are a lot of wooters who rarely post, but will speak up if they see something they're very familiar with and relly like. Let's not criticize them for that fact alone. I'd rather encourage them to post more often, than shout at them when they do.

i agree. we encourage the wineries to send an email to their core audience notifying them of what is often a one time only pricing opportunity (and that they were selected to be a part of this wine.woot madness). I'm not sure if this is the case here particularly, but it may prompt some lurkers to chime in. a quiet 3-10 woots speaking up is a welcome site my book.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:WineDavid,

Any thoughts on when Summer Shipping rates will take effect?

It's been hot in SoCal lately (90º+ inland today), but cooling off tomorrow. And it was 97º Sunday and 98º yesterday.

And I know other regions have also had concerns about high temps.

too early to implement full scale summer shipping regiment ( but i can tell you it's a big focus for me right now). we ALWAYS keep an eye on unusual temperature swings and will put a temporary hold if things flair up. i feel very confident in our ability to get wines to everyone in good working order- year round.

boaz38

ok, i will relent to your POV but it's still suspicious. lol

boaz38

Winedavid39 wrote:i agree. we encourage the wineries to send an email to their core audience notifying them of what is often a one time only pricing opportunity (and that they were selected to be a part of this wine.woot madness). I'm not sure if this is the case here particularly, but it may prompt some lurkers to chime in. a quiet 3-10 woots speaking up is a welcome site my book.

Ok, I will settle with the status quo- but i still think its hinky! I've always been one to shoot first and answer questions later. I just ask that if you are 310 at least back statements with some notes. Just sayin