+ Add a Comment

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
jcastagno wrote:slightly off topic but a quick question, in for this woot already, but this will be my first summer of WW and at what point is it just too hot to have wines shipped to Florida? Im on the Gulf Coast (Tampa) and we are already seeing consistent temperatures above 80 during the day... would hate to have anything "cook" while sitting in the UPS truck...

As the temps rise, WW will at some point institute "summer shipping" which depending on your location can mean one of several things. But in general they do a fabulous job of preventing your wine from cooking.

And speaking from experience, if some of your wine does get damaged in shipment... they do a FANTASTIC job of making it right. Just e-mail customer service.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

pluthe

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pluthe

Lab rat report on the Barbera: Nice color, light bodied - no legs to speak of and for the first hour the nose was very alcohol. After decanting for over an hour there was tobacco and cedar in the nose. No fruit flavors ever came through - spice and wood were predominant. We had the wine with steak and grilled rosemary potatoes and thought that it paired much better with the potatoes than the steak - the rosemary part of the potatoes matched especially well. I wish we had tried it with a tomato dish but now it's too late for that because it is all gone. The tannins were smooth and you would never describe this wine as a fruit bomb! It will be interesting to see how it tastes when it hasn't been "all shook up" for 24 hours before opening.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
McMalbec wrote:Did you enjoy the Oconomowoc area yesterday?

Loved it, two things, the weather was wonderful and the wines were well received.

ScottHarveyWines

rooboy wrote:Scott:

When are we going to see some Jana wines on wine.woot? Love the Cathedral!

We are just getting ready to release the 2005 Jana Cathedral. Love to do a pre release to the woot folks before the rest of the market gets a chance at it. Jana and WD will have to get together.

ScottHarveyWines

pinotdrnkr wrote:I like Amador Zins, Folie a Deux comes to mind, but I have a question about a different region: Paso Robles.
I am drinking such a Zin from Trader Joes, obviously an overrun bottling and am curious as to who the producer might be. Any one know of good Zin producers from that region who might have the capacity to supply TJ with such quantity?
Sorry to be a bit off-topic but you guys seem very knowledgeable.

Try Eberle wines. I think his reds are great.

ScottHarveyWines

ddeuddeg wrote:If she had been in Cleveland next week, a mere 3 hours down the road from here, we'd have done our best to lure her to Buffalo for our woot wine tasting on the 25th.
Among other things, we'll be opening a '98 Folie à Deux Old Vines Fiddletown Vineyards Zinfandel, made by none other than Scott Harvey.
Scott, any ideas on how best to handle that one, before and after opening? We had a '95 Kunde Zin 2 nights ago, and it was really good at first pour, but by the time we finished the bottle, it had noticeably faded.

It will need to be decanted. It will hold in the decanter for about 4 hours before startng to fade. There is a lot of tar weed that grows in the Eschen vineyard in Fiddletown wich gives this wine a nice tar character.

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
ScottHarveyWines wrote:It will need to be decanted. It will hold in the decanter for about 4 hours before startng to fade. There is a lot of tar weed that grows in the Eschen vineyard in Fiddletown wich gives this wine a nice tar character.

Thanks, Scott, for the info on this wine. I've always wanted to meet that tar character. Now I'll know what to look for.

It sure would be nice if you and Jana could join us at our first ever Buffalo w.w. tasting. The whole gang who was over at your place post rpm tour will be here: Cesare, kttest, Sparky, ddeuddeg and me. Plus, cheron98, who you met recently (sorry tommy, I can't remember if you were there)

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen
tomatillo wrote:Hope you're enjoying our 72 degree weather, here in St. Paul, today. Wish you could have arranged a tasting in Minneapolis/St. Paul, since you were already out here at the airport.

Feel free to return any time of year. Don't believe the naysayers: it NEVER drops below 70 degrees in our temperate Minnesota climate!

Tomatillo, you must be in one of the far southern suburbs, like Dallas...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tomatillo wrote:Hope you're enjoying our 72 degree weather, here in St. Paul, today. Wish you could have arranged a tasting in Minneapolis/St. Paul, since you were already out here at the airport.

Feel free to return any time of year. Don't believe the naysayers: it NEVER drops below 70 degrees in our temperate Minnesota climate!

We actually went there for spring break a few years ago. People in Buffalo thought we were kidding and/or insane, but it was great!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

After reading the other Barbera report I think I was right to let the wine rest overnight-wanted my report to be as accurate as possible and no time last night as well. Will be ratting on an early dinner to get the report up ASAP, and thanks for your patience!

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We are just getting ready to release the 2005 Jana Cathedral. Love to do a pre release to the woot folks before the rest of the market gets a chance at it. Jana and WD will have to get together.

Oh no, that means I'll be buying even more wine here...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote: And yes, that is an InZin t-shirt Scott is wearing under the sport coat.

Where do I gets me one of them fancy tee-shirts?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Java with Scott.

Looks a lot like good ol' Nils Venge (Saddleback Cellars) behind Scott.

michaelstencel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaelstencel

Zinfandel Rattage. Ohio has beautiful weather six months a year. Yesterday was mid 70’s, low humidity, and a brilliant blue sky. How could the day get any better you ask? How about leaving the office at noon carrying a FedEx box with a golden ticket and a bottle of Scott Harvey Zinfandel tucked under your arm, two marinated ribeyes, grilled garlic potatoes enjoyed on the neighbor’s deck.
Refer to Scott’s Feb 13 and March 30 blog entries, as well as the other two rat reports as their comments apply to this wine. The pack of cul de sac rats agreed on two things: Open about one hour prior to serving, and this wine must be served with food.
The mouthfeel was tannic/astringent without food. With our “high in saturated fat and cholesterol” meal the wine was simply heavenly. Some noted tobacco, anise, currant and eucalyptus on the nose. The fruit taste was not strong, tart cherry and raspberry. We all agreed that the wine was velvety smooth and the entry, palate and finish were perfectly balanced.
It is 180 degrees from the Inzinerator, and categorically different from last July’s Chase Hayne Zin which was great a cappella.
Even though our wives had a bottle of ménage a trios and only sampled the Zin we were sad to find the bottle empty, a sign of a great wine. Although a two bottle rat pack would remedy this sad, sad situation it would likely delay the timely posting of a coherent report.
I am humbled to have served as your rat. If anyone considers passing on this woot they are only cheatin’ themselves.

bardolator

Scott Harvey 2006 Barbera Reserve Rat Report
(Hope it's okay to do this in several installments--I want you guys to have SOMETHING while I'm making dinner!)

FYI:

WW wines I've loved:
Gundlach Bundschu Pinot
Trinitas Old Vine Zin
Trinitas Bigalow (after letting it breathe for an hour)
Wellington Roussanne
Wellington Marsanne

WW I haven't cared for:
Woot EHP
Willamette Valley Vineyards Pinot
Willamette Valley Vineyards Whole Cluster Pinot
Noceto Sangiovese (it was okay)

Got an email Thursday saying I would be ratting a Scott Harvey! Woohoo! Missed the FedEx driver but picked up yesterday evening at the depot, brought it to the parents' place, and after we'd admired it, put it on the counter and let it sit without moving it 'til this afternoon. Don't know whether this will do much to prevent shipping shock, but I did my best.

Got a kick out of the griffin (?) on the top of the cork when I took off the foil. Too bad the ends don’t show once I put the cork in the trivet I’m making. :\ Took a picture but that apparently took the last of my battery, so I'll recharge and upload it in a later installment.

Appearance: Poured a tiny taste. Really rich, deep color, and clearer than I expected from the cork, which was stained the same rich, deep red (not purple). When I tilted my glass (a Riedel "O" Cabernet/Merlot) I could see the wine coating the bottom of the glass, kind of like the "legs" it creates on the sides. First time I've noticed that, though I don't know if it means anything.

Aroma: Some heat on the nose, but like some people on these boards I can usually “tell” whether I’m going to like a wine’s taste at the first sniff. The smell of this=yum.

Taste: Another rat for the Barbera (last night) said there was no fruit, but I disagree. Maybe I just don’t know what “fruit” tastes like? To me this has a juiciness like that of the Trinitas Old Vine Zin that I enjoyed very much. Now I’m really looking forward to this even more! I only took a sip, because I know it needs to breathe. I learned the other night from the Trinitas Bigalow that the Vinturi doesn’t really do enough for some wines; it started out really harsh but after about 45 min. mellowed and was delicious. I already like this one, so--can’t wait (though I will).

bardMom: It’s not real strong or heavy at all--it’s like it’s light. It’s good by itself; I bet it’s great with pizza. Whoo! More! It’s some of the best red I’ve tasted. I’d get some!

bardDad: It’s good.

The olive oil dough for my pizza crust is rising; the pizza itself will have homemade sauce (with some of the last of the Bigalow, garlic, and fresh oregano and basil from bardMom’s herb pot), fresh mozzarella, “baby Bella” mushrooms, Roma tomatoes, and pancetta, baked on a baking stone. :drool:

I know this is a lot; sorry if it's too much. Let me know and I'll make sure the next installment is more to the point--

ddeuddeg

eric9tx wrote: You're lucky I don't have pix of my Scott Harvey autographed magnums handy, or I'd be incorrigible.

In that case, with a picture of my Scott Harvey autographed double magnum, I'd probably be twice as incorrigible.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

bardolator

#2 Still waiting for the dough to finish rising and flatten out so I can make the pizza crust. Tasted the Barbera again and it's definitely opened up over the past hour +. Still has some heat on the nose, but there's a slight--sweetness?--to the flavor (which has less heat than before). Hard to say just what I mean, just that it's definitely not sour or vegetal (like the Noceto sangio, in which I got all tomatoes, all the time), though it's also not precisely fruity. I'm not really tasting the spice the other rat mentioned, but then I haven't noticed the eucalyptus SH was talking about, either.

Sorry; I'm a novice and tend to use a lot of words to describe something because my palate isn't developed enough to put my finger on specific descriptors more experienced tasters might use. For example, it doesn't really "taste like" cherries to me, but there are qualities of this wine that remind me of the qualities of fresh (and not sour) cherries. There's also a deeper "something" that reminds me of--black raspberries? Again, doesn't really taste LIKE them, just has those deep, rich, slightly wild notes, I guess.

I know I mentioned it before, but it bears repeating: the color is really striking--a lovely clear deep almost-garnet color. In the deep bowl of my "O" glass, it catches the light gorgeously.

More later, with the pizza (if the dough ever stops rising!).

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
SonomaBouliste wrote:Looks a lot like good ol' Nils Venge (Saddleback Cellars) behind Scott.

Probably was, Saddleback was there, and the booths were set up alphabetically. Scott was trying to wave me to come over, as I was in the next set of booths over, talking to Vino Noceto's wife and daughter.

Along with a lot of wineries that have been on Wine.Woot (Corison,Clif Family, Coppola (Rosso & Bianco), Saddleback, Saxon-Brown, Schug, SH, St. Supery, Titus (Talked with one of the brothers), Vina Robles, Vino Noceto (offer of that week), Yorkville, and Laura Zahtila (she left before we got to her spot).)

And in going back over the list, LangeTwins were there too!

We (Java, Nostrom0, and I) tried to talk to all the wineries that had had woot offers, and others as well.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bardolator

#3: The Barbera was PERFECT with my pizza.

bardMom: Delicious; I wouldn't mind having it again. Went perfectly with the pizza but didn't overpower it; the wine balanced the taste of the pizza and vice versa.

bardDad: Fruity and balanced (with a smirk--he makes fun of all the tasting terms). It wasn't real harsh, it wasn't sweet.

Here are my tasting notes, using the DeLong's tasting guide (I have the little black booklet with the fold-out chart):

Color Hue: garnet
Depth: deep
Clear: clear
Aroma Intensity: moderate
Development: ?
Aromas: alcohol! (even after a couple hours, I couldn't smell much else, though it didn't taste hot)

Dry/Sweet: dry
Body: medium
Acidity: crisp
Tannins: medium, round (I think)
Flavour Intensity: moderate/flavourful
Flavours: cherry? black raspberry (depth)
Finish: medium (4-5 sec.)
Conclusion: Balance: EXCELLENT ***1/2 or ****, based on how much I enjoyed it

Food Pairing: perfect! (homemade pizza w/ pancetta and mini portobello; I also splashed some Barbera in the sauce)

This is the first wine I've given more than three stars since I started keeping my notes (after the GunBun, which is my favorite so far). On its own, this rates about the same as the Trinitas Old Vine. The pizza made it even better.

I wonder how the acid-with-acid (tomato sauce on the pizza with this wine) pairing works, if the acid is supposed to cut fatty or creamy foods?

I'd buy this again, and can't wait to get my three pack.

Hope the lengthy posts were worth whatever info you got from this! WineDavid and Mr. Harvey, I was honored to labrat, and for this wine to be my first report. Thanks so much.

jkastorff

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jkastorff

WOW, can't BELIEVE this hasn't sold out yet!! Best Zin ever (except maybe compared to the InZinerator batch, and one helluva Barbera. You don't know what you're missing here if you don't go in for at least 2!

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We are just getting ready to release the 2005 Jana Cathedral. Love to do a pre release to the woot folks before the rest of the market gets a chance at it. Jana and WD will have to get together.

In for 3. Seriously... WD... just pre-load my order.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

drameden

quality posts: 3 Private Messages drameden
cheron98 wrote:"some"? The store only had 3 bottles - one of each label, $14.50 each. I picked up one bottle. I'll bring it to share with you, but you can't just HAVE it

Last time I checked, the other two bottles were still there.

Apparently there is at least one other source for the 03 InZin. Check http://www.goodspiritsfinewine.com/invdetail.php?invid=13808.

Price is $17.99, though.

Neuse101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Neuse101

Oh all RIGHT! Jeeze. In for two.

ScottHarveyWines

SonomaBouliste wrote:Looks a lot like good ol' Nils Venge (Saddleback Cellars) behind Scott.

Yes that is Nils. He was interested in the Jana Grenache Rose. I was turning him on to the grower in case he wanted to get some of the same grapes for next year. I've sure enjoyed Nils's wines over the years.

ScottHarveyWines

[quote postid="3147814" user="bardolator"]
#3: The Barbera was PERFECT with my pizza

Thanks for the all the labrate reports. When you make wines in the old world Europen style you will get many reactions. All the reports are right on and telling us my wines are produced in a more European food friendly stle where the wines support the meal and do not over power it.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
drameden wrote:Apparently there is at least one other source for the 03 InZin. Check http://www.goodspiritsfinewine.com/invdetail.php?invid=13808.

Price is $17.99, though.

except they cant ship out of state...

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Rats, You've been packed.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

rooboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rooboy
We are just getting ready to release the 2005 Jana Cathedral. Love to do a pre release to the woot folks before the rest of the market gets a chance at it. Jana and WD will have to get together.

In for 3. Seriously... WD... just pre-load my order.

Yes, me as well! WD sign me up for three and gift three to my wife!

ddeuddeg

TO ALL THOSE LISTED AS MAYBE ON THE Buffalo/WNY wine tasting: wolfen18, Lighter, jims19, smlusk, please check your PMs.

End hijack. Thanks for your patience.

kylemittskus

We can haz cluez WD for noo whyne?

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
drameden wrote:Apparently there is at least one other source for the 03 InZin. Check http://www.goodspiritsfinewine.com/invdetail.php?invid=13808.

Price is $17.99, though.

yathink2 wrote:except they cant ship out of state...

Not just out of state. Doesn't seem like they can ship at all:

South Dakota State Law prohibits the delivery of alcoholic beverages. All products ordered online must be picked up and paid for at GoodSpirits Fine Wine & Liquor in the Taylor’s Pantry building, on the corner of 41st Street & Minnesota Avenue in Sioux Falls.

drameden, please don't play with my emotions like that. I'm fragile.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

yathink2

eric9tx wrote:drameden, please don't play with my emotions like that. I'm fragile.

I know my hopes were up too

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
yathink2 wrote:I know my hopes were up too

I emailed Jana on Friday asking if she knew anywhere it was still available. I can let you (and everyone) know what sort of reply I get when I hear back.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

wyonel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyonel
eric9tx wrote:I emailed Jana on Friday asking if she knew anywhere it was still available. I can let you (and everyone) know what sort of reply I get when I hear back.

I bought 5 bottles of '03 for 12.39 each at the the Liquor Shed in Casper, WY last fall. I don't know if they still have any or if they will ship.

kevo152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevo152

Slightly off topic, but still wine related. I got around to opening a bottle of the Cellar No. 8 North Coast Sauvignon Blanc. I am blown away by the guava smell/flavor. This is perhaps the best SB I have had in this price range.

Speaking of, isn't about time we get a Woot Cellars white?

SeanOD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SeanOD

Great reports by the rats!

I'm a big fan of both Barbera's and Zins, likely because they often go so well with italian meals / pizza.

I'm truly looking forward to what Scott and the Amador region lend to these.

In looking at the wine advocate's generalized vintage comparisons, they list 2006 (and 05) as being fairly difficult years to produce a high quality Zin in "Calif.-N.Coast" (and really, where else would they be produced). Fortunately, 2007 is listed as a quite decent year.

I know that this chart is an over-generalization, but I'm curious if these conditions were localized to a specific CA region, or what precautions might have been taken to ensure consistent quality, or if as a result these zins will display some deviation (greater, lesser, or just different) from other SH vintages?

As I'm breaking my Scott Harvey cherry, I'm just looking for some perspective vs. other SH vintages and vs other zins of this vintage.

Just Sean

yathink2

eric9tx wrote:I emailed Jana on Friday asking if she knew anywhere it was still available. I can let you (and everyone) know what sort of reply I get when I hear back.

That would be great!!!! I missed it last time...

yathink2

kevo152 wrote:Slightly off topic, but still wine related. I got around to opening a bottle of the Cellar No. 8 North Coast Sauvignon Blanc. I am blown away by the guava smell/flavor. This is perhaps the best SB I have had in this price range.

Speaking of, isn't about time we get a Woot Cellars white?

Really!!! I hated it... way to woody for me. Not the balance I was looking for. I even tried it with food... still wasnt my type... sorry for the off topic

kevo152

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevo152
yathink2 wrote:Really!!! I hated it... way to woody for me. Not the balance I was looking for. I even tried it with food... still wasnt my type... sorry for the off topic

I agree that it is a bit woody, but for whatever reason that appeals to me in an SB. I can't handle it in Chard or Zin, but I love it in SB's. Go figure...

kylemittskus

Since this offer is ending, thank you Mr. Harvey for more of your wine, company, and erudition! I greatly appreciate it (and somehow, I think everyone else does too).

WD, please keep this guy around. And did I ask for a CLUE? Let me check. Ah yes, I did ask for a CLUE a few posts above. It's the one where I ask for a CLUE.