refuse2bdefined

quality posts: 0 Private Messages refuse2bdefined

Scott Harvey Amador Sampler - Three Pack

First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 9.703s
Last wooter to woot: refuse2bdefined

Wanted to add this one to my account (brockb) so I could get 2 steps closer to the black square... but the Mrs (refuse2bdefined) had the Woot birthday this month so the free shipping won out. =(

In for 2. Would be in for 3 but I keep holding out for some Wellington or Ty Caton in which case it would be a guaranteed in for 3 and possibly a gift of 3 for the Mrs. too! =)

rooboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rooboy
eric9tx wrote:Roo - I have 2 of the 2004 Jana Winery Cathedral, but have yet to drink one. Your impressions, please?

Excellent high quality wine. It didn't get a 94 for nothing. It compares in quality to Corison. Very smooth from start through finish. It has a mild fruit flavor throughout. Not a California bomb! It is not hot, acidic, nor gives off any taste of alcohol. It certainly pairs well with red meats. I wouldn't want to pair it with anything to spicy as it would drowned-out the wine flavor. Moreover, it would pair well with other light meats and even fish.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
rooboy wrote:Excellent high quality wine. It didn't get a 94 for nothing. It compares in quality to Corison. Very smooth from start through finish. It has a mild fruit flavor throughout. Not a California bomb! It is not hot, acidic, nor gives off any taste of alcohol. It certainly pairs well with red meats. I wouldn't want to pair it with anything to spicy as it would drowned-out the wine flavor. Moreover, it would pair well with other light meats and even fish.

Awesome, thanks! Gotta save that for some sort of special occasion dinner or whatnot.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

rooboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rooboy
eric9tx wrote:Awesome, thanks! Gotta save that for some sort of special occasion dinner or whatnot.

Absolutely! I picked-up 4 late last fall. The wife and I had one before Christmas. She wanted to bring one of the other three out to her parents (whom I love) for Christmas dinner.

We still have the other 3. I know some how I will be paying for that move!

Enjoy.

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

ScottHarveyWines wrote:When I went to wine making school in Germany, the marketing professor on the first day of class wrote a sentence across the chalk board and said "All you need to do is remember this sentence and you will pass the class" It read "Wein ist nicht verkauft bis der auf die Mauer gepisst wert." Whisch means "Wine is not sold until it is pissed against the wall" I raised my hand and said "In Amaerica we call that sell through." So, what we would like people to do is enjoy the wine and buy some.
To answer your question, the InZinerator about 6 to 8 years past vintage date and the wines being offered today 8 to 12 years past vintage date.
Hope I haven't offended anyone, but I love telling this story.

WD needs to add this to his signature.

Hard to imagine you could offend anyone Scott...au contraire, you are quite the story teller! We are fortunate to have you.

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

ScottHarveyWines wrote:My life as a winemaker started in Amador County in 1972 working as assistant winemaker for Cary Gott at Montivena. That's right the father of Joel Gott of Joel Gott wines. I use to have to baby sit the little guy. Try his wines, they are great. Anyway, I ended up moveing on to run Story winery and then built Santino winery in 1979. Later I bought Santino winery with a partner and renamed it Renwood. It became obvious that I and this partner had different ideas on how to run a winery and I ended up being the odd man out in 1995. Dr. Richard Peterson of Napa Valley is my mentor and had just bought a winery in Napa Valley called Folie a Deux. He asked me to come and turn it into a take over candidate by one of the larger wineries. So in running Folie a Deux, I did two things, one - I brought my Amador Vineyards with me and two - I created Menage a Trois for them. It worked and we sold the winery to Sutter Home in 2004. I took my equity from the sell along with the Amador Vineyards (Sutter Home already had an Amador program with Montivina, so they did not need the vineyard contracts) and started our own company, Jana and I, producing the Scott Harvey, Jana and Super Hero wines (InZinerator and One Last Kiss). Super Hero wines are really, the original blends created for Menage a Trois.

Love Gott’s wines and Renwood put Amador Zin on the map for me. I couldn’t get enough back in the 90’s as they produced some amazing wines. I wasn't aware you created Manage a Trois...some years ago, the QPR was so good I used to love to turn people on to that wine and it flew off the shelves. You’ve certainly left your mark wherever you’ve been! Unfortunately, I never see you’re wines here in the tri-state area. Thanks for the interesting and fun read!

pinotdrnkr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pinotdrnkr

I like Amador Zins, Folie a Deux comes to mind, but I have a question about a different region: Paso Robles.
I am drinking such a Zin from Trader Joes, obviously an overrun bottling and am curious as to who the producer might be. Any one know of good Zin producers from that region who might have the capacity to supply TJ with such quantity?
Sorry to be a bit off-topic but you guys seem very knowledgeable.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
cheron98 wrote:Not to try to be a moderator or anything, but are we seriously going to get into this again, especially in this thread? I think this comes up at least once every other week in the pub where you guys start posting these CT stats at each other

Folks referencing either the quantity or rarity of wines in their collection on a wine form? [sarcasm]I've never heard of that happening before.[/sarcasm] All the black boxes look the same otherwise.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

gcdyersb

At some point I need to get in on some Scott Harvey. I'd really love to try the Rieslings given Scott's background. When I'm in Davis next I'll lobby for a day trip to Amador to visit the tasting room. Having just bought last offer, though, it's a no go.

oppositemind

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oppositemind

I wish they could ship to AZ more often! I'm in

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Right now I'm bloging from The Minneapolis airport waiting for a rental car to drive to Eau Calire. Kind of skipped over Madison this trip.

Hope you're enjoying our 72 degree weather, here in St. Paul, today. Wish you could have arranged a tasting in Minneapolis/St. Paul, since you were already out here at the airport.

Feel free to return any time of year. Don't believe the naysayers: it NEVER drops below 70 degrees in our temperate Minnesota climate!

gcdyersb

pinotdrnkr wrote:I like Amador Zins, Folie a Deux comes to mind, but I have a question about a different region: Paso Robles.
I am drinking such a Zin from Trader Joes, obviously an overrun bottling and am curious as to who the producer might be. Any one know of good Zin producers from that region who might have the capacity to supply TJ with such quantity?
Sorry to be a bit off-topic but you guys seem very knowledgeable.

Most of the TJs labeled wines have a "produced and bottled by _______" note on the back label in small print. If that's not there, though, it's a bit of a guppy-shoot guessing who made the wine.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
themostrighteous wrote:boyz like to show off their toyz! :P

I love seeing the CT stats. :D

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Pencilthief and I were able to attend the Family Winemakers Tasting in Pasadena a couple weeks ago as part of industry, as we were there to ply our services to the unsuspecting wineries and sample their wine.

As we were leaving our office on the way to the event, Pencilthief asked "Should we bring the camera?". I scolded him, saying that we were supposed to be professionals and that it wouldn't be good for business if we were trying to get pictures taken with our favorite winemakers. We are supposed to be respectable members of industry, not two jackasses who managed to sneak a couple entry passes.

Once at the tasting, we walked up to Scott Harvey and introduced ourselves (we had had the pleasure of eating dinner with Scott on the RPM tour) and he immediately came around to our side of the table and made Jana take a picture of the three of us with the camera he had brought to the event.

So there's a picture around somewhere of Scott, Pencilthief and I, with the two of us "professionals" grinning like little school children.

(and Scott, you'll have to send me the picture because I think Pencilthief is still mad at me for not letting him bring his camera)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

eric9tx

andyduncan wrote:
So there's a picture around somewhere of Scott, Pencilthief and I, with the two of us "professionals" grinning like little school children.

(and Scott, you'll have to send me the picture because I think Pencilthief is still mad at me for not letting him bring his camera)

I, on the other hand, have no shame.

Me, Phil Staehle (winemaker at Enkidu), and Jopo528.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

jquinnan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jquinnan

Okay, okay... With all the great zin comments, I am in for one. I'll have to taste it against my favorite Paso Robles zins.....

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
eric9tx wrote:I, on the other hand, have no shame.

Me, Phil Staehle (winemaker at Enkidu), and Jopo528.

Hey Everyone...Look two NERDS getting caught stealing wine. The guy in the middle has both by the collar!!!

If it was a pic to be remembered, they wouldn't grabbing the bottles like baseball bats and would have the labels showing outward so viewers would be envious of the expensive wine!!! ;-)(wink - hey it's Friday night!!)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
eric9tx wrote:I, on the other hand, have no shame.

In response to your signature:

I used to drink wine. This girl asked me, "Doesn't wine give you a headache?" Yeah, eventually, but the first and the middle part are amazing! I'm not going to not eat an apple because eventually it will be a core.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis
ScottHarveyWines wrote:While I'm doing tastings in WI my wife, Jana, is in OH. She gets OH because she is from Cleveland and is visiting family as well. So, yes she will be at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tasting with our Syrah, Old Vine Zinfandel, InZinerator and One Last Kiss among other wines.

Carp... Scott thanks for the info. That would have been a "great" Friday night activity at the H of F, except we've had these tickets to Fleetwood Mac at Quicken since December. If I would have know earlier, I'd give Jana my ticket to go with the wifey and I'd work the booth for her. But then somebody would have found me passed out under the table with a bunch of empty SHW wine bottles!! Since we're in for nine bottles here, I guess I'll just go home after the concert and pop some of the SHW that are resting. Working on the boat tomorrow - spring cleaning I guess you could call it! Hopefully some day our paths will cross. Thanks for responding

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MaskedMarvel
Speed to first woot: 0m 9.703s
Last wooter to woot: yathink2

wish i could have gotten 3... and probably shouldnt have gotten 2. Just couldnt resist...

eric9tx

boatman72 wrote:Hey Everyone...Look two NERDS getting caught stealing wine. The guy in the middle has both by the collar!!!

If it was a pic to be remembered, they wouldn't grabbing the bottles like baseball bats and would have the labels showing outward so viewers would be envious of the expensive wine!!! ;-)(wink - hey it's Friday night!!)

If they had just been regular bottles we would have been showing the labels. In this case, however, we were showing off the winemaker's signature on each bottle, including one for our Manniversary (although he just wrote "Happy Anniversary")! So there! You're lucky I don't have pix of my Scott Harvey autographed magnums handy, or I'd be incorrigible.

I realize it doesn't add value to anyone but me, but I still think it's cool as Gigli (2003) when the guy who made the juice signs the bottle. Those (eventual) empties will be with me forever.

213 wooted bottles

CT

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
cheron98 wrote:Not as robust as Cab, but not thin like many Zins tend to be. A lot of wineries put in some amount of Petite Sirah to give their Zin more body and depth. As you can see, this one is a 100% Zin, and has just enough body and depth all on its own.

In addition, this is an Amador zin (correct?). If so, Zins from his area are coming on strong. I am excoited to try and enjoy!

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

I got the Barbera! :O

Okay, so, going to have to do this tomorrow--probably a good idea to let it rest a bit in any case.

We're thinking steaks. Good idea, or is there something else that would complement it better? I've got at least two other rats lined up and am trying to get in touch with a friend with an oenophile husband who really knows his stuff (much, much more more than I do) so I can give you a range of experience in comments....

wyonel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wyonel
bardolator wrote:I got the Barbera! :O

Okay, so, going to have to do this tomorrow--probably a good idea to let it rest a bit in any case.

We're thinking steaks. Good idea, or is there something else that would complement it better? I've got at least two other rats lined up and am trying to get in touch with a friend with an oenophile husband who really knows his stuff (much, much more more than I do) so I can give you a range of experience in comments....

Try it with a pizza or lasagna. Pasta with a tomato sauce is a good match.

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator
wyonel wrote:Try it with a pizza or lasagna. Pasta with a tomato sauce is a good match.

Thanks--Yeah, just read that on SH's site. We had spaghetti two nights too early!

I do make a mean from-scratch pizza...maybe I'll go get some good mozzarella and give it a shot....I'm thinking mushrooms, tomatoes, and bacon. Hm.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
bardolator wrote:I got the Barbera! :O

Steaks would be good, something fatty but mild like a ribeye, easy on the seasonings (which is probably good advice anyway). Pizza or red sauce italian, or even something like brazed short ribs or a roast, or something swine.

EDIT: basically it should go good with lots of things, but IIRC correctly it's not a huge wine, it's pretty elegant, and I wouldn't want it with something super seasoned or intense. It has quite good acidity too, so that's why I recommended the ribeye or other fattier cuts.

EDIT 2: dang, I'm talking myself into this one despite an otherwise expensive wine week. Scott's wines are so good with food...

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
oppositemind wrote:I wish they could ship to AZ more often! I'm in

I'm in AZ too ... just moved here from Chicago. Where are you located?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
eric9tx wrote:Awesome, thanks! Gotta save that for some sort of special occasion dinner or whatnot.

Better yet, open the Cathedral, and make an ordinary occasion special.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

duck833

quality posts: 0 Private Messages duck833
Imagine4vr wrote:I'm in AZ too ... just moved here from Chicago. Where are you located?

Duck in Scottsdale for a few weeks. Before I came down I shipped a case of Oregon Pinot Noirs to myself. Got in just in the nick of time today, supposed to be hot next week, way to hot for my PN's in the rolling brown oven.

I have many SH Zin's in stock, will not order this time due to lack of space. Need to increase consumption.

Doing a Oregon Pinot Noir tasting at an event in Tubac next week, should be lots of fun.

good food, good wine, bad girl = great evening

ddeuddeg

So, no labrat for me. I know how to handle that: I'll open a SH Barbera already in stock for dinner tomorrow.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

ScottHarveyWines wrote:While I'm doing tastings in WI my wife, Jana, is in OH. She gets OH because she is from Cleveland and is visiting family as well. So, yes she will be at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame tasting with our Syrah, Old Vine Zinfandel, InZinerator and One Last Kiss among other wines.

If she had been in Cleveland next week, a mere 3 hours down the road from here, we'd have done our best to lure her to Buffalo for our woot wine tasting on the 25th.
Among other things, we'll be opening a '98 Folie à Deux Old Vines Fiddletown Vineyards Zinfandel, made by none other than Scott Harvey.
Scott, any ideas on how best to handle that one, before and after opening? We had a '95 Kunde Zin 2 nights ago, and it was really good at first pour, but by the time we finished the bottle, it had noticeably faded.

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
andyduncan wrote:Pencilthief and I were able to attend the Family Winemakers Tasting in Pasadena a couple weeks ago as part of industry, as we were there to ply our services to the unsuspecting wineries and sample their wine.

As we were leaving our office on the way to the event, Pencilthief asked "Should we bring the camera?". I scolded him, saying that we were supposed to be professionals and that it wouldn't be good for business if we were trying to get pictures taken with our favorite winemakers. We are supposed to be respectable members of industry, not two jackasses who managed to sneak a couple entry passes.

Once at the tasting, we walked up to Scott Harvey and introduced ourselves (we had had the pleasure of eating dinner with Scott on the RPM tour) and he immediately came around to our side of the table and made Jana take a picture of the three of us with the camera he had brought to the event.

reminds me of:

Raine Wilson wrote:Guy tried to surreptitiously take my pic in line at 4bucks. Had to say, 'dude, seriously?' and then bite a chunk out of his face.
CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

this ain't bouncin' yet? must be a lot of inventory available for this offer.

CT | | | | | |

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo

No labrat reports yet?

mopsie2002

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mopsie2002

Rat report!

Invited over Fairnymph after dinner out with some friends and enjoyed the bottle of Syrah with her and my boyfriend. She'll provide her own comments shortly, I think.

Here are a few pictures (with an obligatory cat enjoying the wine, too, I might add...plus it's cute--the other did earlier, but I got no pictures of him, alas):

My mad lootz (well, the corkscrew is mine)!

Examining....

Loving it!

The wine itself.

My notes on the Syrah (I'm new at trying to describe for others, so I'll try my best, hope it's useful!):

Notes from first opening the bottle, after pouring into the decanter and then into glasses:
-Deep in color, dark in center, lighter vibrant color around the edges (where thinner).
-Dusky scent, full of deep berries and earthen aromas (very earthy, in my opinion).
-Leaves a coating on the glass--not "legs", just thick.
-Mild on the tongue, light taste of berries (maybe blueberries), and yet still rich though mild/thin.
-Very pungent in the back of the throat--rich tasting, sharp flavor, very earthy, some strong je ne said quoi, maybe a bit of dirty or woody?
-Leaves a thick coating in my mouth (Fairnymph mentions this as the tannins--I know no such technical things)--we were all smacking our lips and my tongue was sticking to the roof of my mouth.
-Very thick and woody.

Notes from glass #2, probably an hour or so later?:
-Tangier at first.
-Less of the smack in the back of the throat, but still there.

Aaaand...my boyfriend's comments, quoted, because he's oh so useful (and I thought he was amusing):
-"Tastes good to me."
-"Daringly confrontational" (I told him this sounded like it should be on a book cover).
-"Twinge of sweet radish" (whatever those are).

So, hope you enjoy! All in all, an enjoyable wine. Perhaps not number 1 or 2 on my list, but I'm glad I bought the set and am excited to try the other varietals! Enjoying the last glass as I write this...it's really past my bed time, but I needed to finish my glass before I slept, so decided to write this up while I did that.

Oregonian through and through <3...even if I call North Carolina my home now.

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
mopsie2002 wrote:Rat report!
The wine itself.

Is it just me, or do those seem like extra full glasses of wine?

Thanks for the report there, Mopsie. Sounds like I'll definitely be happy I got 3. ^.^
New flavors I haven't had in a wine yet.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Secondhand labrat report (the lovely mopsie2002 invited me over to taste her bottle of the Syrah - note, I am not well at the moment, so take my notes with a grain of salt, please!):

Appearance - Virtually opaque, dark purple-red. I was excited by looks alone! What can I say, I judge a little based on opacity.

Nose - Smoky, meaty (bacon), cassis - but not really very fruity. A bit of spice.

Taste - Very savory. Meaty as the nose suggested, even a little mushroomy. It's even a bit gamey, and reminds me a bit of Carmenere. Full-bodied with mouth-drying tannins.

I don't find this to be fruity - and I'd like more fruit, personally - but what fruit I do get is dark and muted; still that cassis, and a little blackberry. Brambly. Pipe tobacco and rosewood on the mid-palate; I wouldn't say this is over-oaked, but it's very WOODY.

Looong finish of bitter clove.

Overall impression - Syrah is not amongst my favourite varietals; I find it tannic without sufficient fruit or acidity. That said, I found this to be a good representation of its varietal, and a solid QPR. If you like Syrah, go for it. If you're not really into Syrah...this probably won't infatuate you.

My Scott Harvery wine experience: I didn't like the InZin (*gasp*) - I found it overly sweet, even flabby, and wasn't able to drink it. This I found FAR more palatable.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
andyduncan wrote:Pencilthief and I were able to attend the Family Winemakers Tasting in Pasadena a couple weeks ago as part of industry, as we were there to ply our services to the unsuspecting wineries and sample their wine.

You were saying???

Scott & Jana Harvey, me, & Mike (Scott's nephew & designer of InZin wine labels) at the Family Winemakers in Del Mar (the Sunday before the Pasadena event).

And yes, that is an InZin t-shirt Scott is wearing under the sport coat. I also have Nostrom0 in one of the pics somewhere ...

Java with Scott.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
MarkDaSpark wrote:You were saying???

...with great goatee come great responsibility....

jcastagno

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcastagno

slightly off topic but a quick question, in for this woot already, but this will be my first summer of WW and at what point is it just too hot to have wines shipped to Florida? Im on the Gulf Coast (Tampa) and we are already seeing consistent temperatures above 80 during the day... would hate to have anything "cook" while sitting in the UPS truck...