boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
JoeLange wrote:Yep! Ohio's not on our list - I won't point fingers, but - wait, yes I will. It's the sneaky politicians!

Remind me again why wineries shouldn't be allowed to ship to all states?

Thanks Joe. Maybe the next time around, once we get rid of some of those vermin!!!

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
vinokeeno wrote:Sideways didn't make up my mind on this topic, it simply empowered wine geeks like myself who secretly don't like Merlot to now boldly declare our disdain for the grape.

Merlot does have certain external problems. Either it is grown someplace it doesn't belong then over-cropped, like you mentioned, or producers try to turn it into an Aussie Shiraz/turbo-Zin style fruit/oak bomb. But those problems are common for all the major varietals that sell by the name of the grape.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
vinokeeno wrote:I already owned up to trolling the Merlot fanboys. I just love how one or two will really get their bra on backwards when you toss out a little nugget like that.

But I still am not a fan of the Merlot. There's too much hole in the donut for my palate.

Merlot was quite the fad in the mid 90's when I first got into wine. There was just so much lousy merlot lying about. It was planted where it never should have been planted, all in a rush to cash in.

Sideways didn't make up my mind on this topic, it simply empowered wine geeks like myself who secretly don't like Merlot to now boldly declare our disdain for the grape.

Ah, so what you're saying is you're finally coming out of the closet!!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
boatman72 wrote:Ah, so what you're saying is you're finally coming out of the closet!!!

Zing!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

swpruitt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swpruitt

I'm quite the noob and don't really like Merlot, but I can't resist a winemaker who's having so much fun on the boards. I'm in for one.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

From my limited, albeit long experience, I've found that there is a wide variety in the different wine varietals.

You have to look at more than just the varietal. I've found a wide variety within each one, and a lot depends on the AVA, the winemaker, the vineyard, etc.

You can't poo-poo one entire varietal, based on one or two wines. I've had some wonderful wines (PS, CS, Merlot, SB, etc.) and I've had some horrible ones (PS, CS, Merlot, SB, etc.).

There is a lot that depends on the winery, the winemaker, and the vineyard. You can have great grapes, but you could end up with vinegar if the winemaker (or assistant) goofs up. There's science, but also some artistry by the winemaker in producing fine wine.

The other thing to note is that while you may not like certain varietals, someone else may love them. That's what is so great about this community on Wine.Woot ... if you don't like something, there's always someone willing to buy or trade it with you because they like it.

And that's my

But as TheMostRighteous always puts it ... YMMCV!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
kylemittskus wrote:Zing!

Hey, the poster posted his/her comments- which I noted, and are somewhat valuable... as with most reviews??
~of course taken with a grain of salt~
But this seems to be another good WW deal, and now I'm just trying to decide how many to order.
For the qpr/every day drinker wine this seems to be a no-brainer.
Labrats- show yourselves in a timely manner... please.

ps- kyle is kewl... just kinda protective of our winewoot here, and that's to be admired.
;)

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

shmorf

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shmorf
swpruitt wrote:I'm quite the noob and don't really like Merlot, but I can't resist a winemaker who's having so much fun on the boards. I'm in for one.

same, im about to lose my w.w virginity

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf

Speed to First Woot:
0m 10.390s
First Sucker:
MarkDaSpark
Last Wooter To Woot:
psmurf

Heck with the labrats... I'm in for 2 sets.
WD has never steered me wrong, and I've never been sorry for a purchase.
~really hoping to get them soon as my meager 16 cooler is really low~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
JoeLange wrote:Thanks for your interest - with such a warm wooters' welcome, I think we'll be back for more...

The PV/PS is a definite possibility!

@WineDavid: they're making demands!

Please consider the single varietal PV too. It's my favourite! But, I'd be happy with just the blend. Or both. I'm really excited either is a possibility at all.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
cheron98 wrote:Did someone say morels? There's an obsession with that too...

Oh, no, morals. With an a.

We'd be more than happy to have the PV/PS!! In fact, someone at some point mentioned that there was the possibility of an up-and-coming offering from you guys and the lovely fairnymph linked us up to your site. Particularly the PV/PS. Much drooling ensued.

You and me both, my dear! I need to go morel hunting...

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I know this is very random but I'm sitting here, thinking summer is on the way, and some Mumm would be amazing in the next few weeks. I am also promoting run-on sentences. The end of my entirely desultory request.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

denise4080

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denise4080

In for 1.
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 0m 10.390s
Last wooter to woot: denise4080

I forgot yesterday was a new wine day, it has been a long week.

I love Merlot

vinokeeno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vinokeeno
psmurf wrote:
For the qpr/every day drinker wine this seems to be a no-brainer.

Okay... truth be told I would probably go for it at this price, even with the Merlot, but I just don't have the room. My wine storage is already over-flowing. I even took some of the wire shelving out to fit a few more bottles in... *and* I have 9 bottles of Kunde in the pipe.

I've had my fun with the merlot drinkers. I still don't get it tho. I love Cabernet as much as anyone, really. And I could care less if someone trashes the grape. But disrespect Merlot in any way and apologists/defenders come screaming out of the woodwork.

It's quite entertaining.

My Cellar - "This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear. You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that. You lose the taste." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

MarkDaSpark

vinokeeno wrote:Okay... truth be told I would probably go for it at this price, even with the Merlot, but I just don't have the room. My wine storage is already over-flowing. I even took some of the wire shelving out to fit a few more bottles in... *and* I have 9 bottles of Kunde in the pipe.

I've had my fun with the merlot drinkers. I still don't get it tho. I love Cabernet as much as anyone, really. And I could care less if someone trashes the grape. But disrespect Merlot in any way and apologists/defenders come screaming out of the woodwork.

It's quite entertaining.

When did someone trash Cabernet? I know that some (Loweeel) refer to Chardonnay as Chard-O-No, and others don't like the Oak Monster in it. Don't see you then ....

But if you had spent more time here (instead of under that bridge of yours), I'd think you see that whatever gets "trashed", people come out to defend it. Whether it is a wine varietal or Wine.Woot in general.

And has another grape varietal been trashed in a movie? So I think that people are more sensitive to Merlot as a result, and are trying to educate others about it.

Which is what we all love about these forums, is the new things we learn about wine.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

diannap

quality posts: 7 Private Messages diannap
kylemittskus wrote:I know this is very random but I'm sitting here, thinking summer is on the way, and some Mumm would be amazing in the next few weeks. I am also promoting run-on sentences. The end of my entirely desultory request.

I second that!!

JoeLange

quality posts: 21 Private Messages JoeLange
swpruitt wrote:I'm quite the noob and don't really like Merlot, but I can't resist a winemaker who's having so much fun on the boards. I'm in for one.

Definitely having fun - woke up in the middle of the night and actually contemplated checking the ww forums...

That's bad!

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
vinokeeno wrote:I love Cabernet as much as anyone, really. And I could care less if someone trashes the grape.

No one seems interested in bashing Cabernet. Only Merlot. And yet the same criticisms--grown in the wrong places, over-cropped, turned into a fruit bomb/oak monster, hollow mid-palate--apply in equal measure to Cabernet Sauvignon. Moreover, Cabernet Sauvignon seems adept only at expressing itself, not its terroir, unless it is grown in a warm region where terroir is expressed as jam. Perhaps its the hardiness of Cab S that softens the potential criticisms; it's hard to screw it up since it's so resilient.

And back to this hollow mid-palate issue: I still haven't heard how it is Bordeaux has perpetrated the farce of blending two hollow mid-palates to make a one black hole of a donut wine for centuries.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

So have any of the rats out there gotten the "Hey you've got a package" call from FedEx yet? WD, how many did you send out this time 'round?

CT

Moondragon

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Moondragon
bkarney wrote:So have any of the rats out there gotten the "Hey you've got a package" call from FedEx yet? WD, how many did you send out this time 'round?

He did say he'd send out extra after the problem with the Cellar 8, but it didn't seem like there were that many more rats for the Salvestrin...

But maybe three was "extra" for that offering. I never know. Or perhaps we had no show rats.

Edited for stupidity.

Moondragon

JoeLange wrote:Definitely having fun - woke up in the middle of the night and actually contemplated checking the ww forums...

That's bad!

Have you actually been able to work during all this forum checking?

JoeLange

Moondragon wrote:Have you actually been able to work during all this forum checking?

Not really, but I am justifying it to myself that 'this is work' - I'm convinced, but hopefully the bosses aren't looking over my shoulder....

Moondragon

JoeLange wrote:Not really, but I am justifying it to myself that 'this is work' - I'm convinced, but hopefully the bosses aren't looking over my shoulder....

Somehow I knew that would be your excuse. Well, you can always point out the posts that list winery participation as primary "push" to purchase.

dmbennett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmbennett
bjorkand wrote:So Joe...sounds like the next Woot might need to be some PS/PV and MR...

Yes, I second that!

dmbennett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmbennett
Nostrom0 wrote:Damn't! My wife said no more unless it's Woot Cellars. Whose house can I ship these to?

You're lucky. Now my cat is even giving me grief about the boxes and cases tucked into every nook and cranny. By the way, I'm in on this one, too - but I won't say for how many.

MarkDaSpark

bkarney wrote:So have any of the rats out there gotten the "Hey you've got a package" call from FedEx yet? WD, how many did you send out this time 'round?

I got a PM from our Capo di tutti capi (WD) of our Cosa Nostra to expect a "package" to "do a piece of work" on and to "get a place ready".

One goomba (Java) has checked in to assist in "icing" the package. Still waiting on my other goomba (zTimBz) and associate (Nostrom0) if they will be available to "pop a cap". Now if we only had some "goumada".

Edit: 2nd Goomba is in on the "hit".

Ok, The Associate checked in, and he's bringing his "comare" as well.

JoeLange

Moondragon wrote:Somehow I knew that would be your excuse. Well, you can always point out the posts that list winery participation as primary "push" to purchase.

Great point - you can be on my side of the table when I am pleading my case!

JoeLange

dmbennett wrote:Yes, I second that!

That'd be a nice package for sure!

pwb2103

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pwb2103

Man, I really shouldn't because I have too much wine for my tiny apartment already... But I agree, its hard not to buy when the wine maker is this active on the forums...

in for 1

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
MarkDaSpark wrote:I got a PM from our Capo di tutti capi (WD) of our Cosa Nostra to expect a "package" to "do a piece of work" on and to "get a place ready".

One goomba (Java) has checked in to assist in "icing" the package. Still waiting on my other goomba (zTimBz) and associate (Nostrom0) if they will be available to "pop a cap". Now if we only had some "goumada".

excellent, looking forward to hearing that the cork is sleeping with the fishes. Remember, the QuickCrete sets very quickly, best to do it on the spot

CT

Moondragon

MarkDaSpark wrote:I got a PM from our Capo di tutti capi (WD) of our Cosa Nostra to expect a "package" to "do a piece of work" on and to "get a place ready".

Ok, The Associate checked in, and he's bringing his "comare" as well.

You fellas better come out with some quality ratting. Not that I'm worried, at least not with a halo that big. :D

JoeLange

Here's a map showing the locations of our family vineyards - including the Cab and Merlot:

Click for larger version

Moondragon

JoeLange wrote:Here's a map showing the locations of our family vineyards - including the Cab and Merlot:

Click for larger version

It'd be neat if you marked the vineyards this way on your directions map on the website (at least for the ones close to the winery.

JoeLange

Moondragon wrote:It'd be neat if you marked the vineyards this way on your directions map on the website (at least for the ones close to the winery.

Great idea - I'll add it to my list of website improvements. Maybe I should get to those instead of being a ww forum addict? Hmm...

Cheers!

ssufish

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ssufish

I was on the fence about this but the price is there for me to likely have gone in for one to begin with as I love Cab's and will give them all a shot regardless of the price range (sans Opus One - too rich for my blood). But, it's the winery participation that makes me go in for two. Heck if I don't like it I can gift them right?

Thanks!

Lange Twins - Four Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 0m 10.390s
Last wooter to woot: ssufish

kurtswa

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kurtswa
Moondragon wrote:It'd be neat if you marked the vineyards this way on your directions map on the website (at least for the ones close to the winery.

So is Lodi about as far east as wine growing goes in California?

JoeLange

kurtswa wrote:So is Lodi about as far east as wine growing goes in California?

Actually, no! The hills east of Lodi (including Amador, Murhphys, etc.) produce some very fine wine.

Lodi is situated in a prime location for both winegrowing and living - only few hours to the bay area (San Francisco) and a few hours to the mountains (Lake Tahoe) !

Livable, lovable, Lodi We like it!

Moondragon

I've heard there are some nice zins that come from Amador. Any suggestions?

Could be fun to grab a few and compare to Lodi zins (like LangeTwins, hint hint...)

bedonwineboxes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bedonwineboxes
Moondragon wrote:I've heard there are some nice zins that come from Amador. Any suggestions?

Could be fun to grab a few and compare to Lodi zins (like LangeTwins, hint hint...)

Sobon is pretty good for the money

kurtswa

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kurtswa
JoeLange wrote:Actually, no! The hills east of Lodi (including Amador, Murhphys, etc.) produce some very fine wine.

Lodi is situated in a prime location for both winegrowing and living - only few hours to the bay area (San Francisco) and a few hours to the mountains (Lake Tahoe) !

Livable, lovable, Lodi We like it!

Joe-
What would you say is LangeTwins "flagship" wine?
Also- is Lodi know for any one particular varietal that thrives in this area?