cnherrick

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cnherrick

What is "labrat"?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cnherrick wrote:What is "labrat"?

See link here. It should tell you everything you need to know.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
free2day33611 wrote:I normally like a crisp white, which has been mentioned. But I see the Cellar 360 descibe it as "creamy mouthful". Can someone comment on this? I don't like the creamy taste (like you get in a big, oaky, Chardonnay.

zorandra wrote:Someone help me with what my tastebuds (and brain) keep looking at as being contradictory:

"grapefruit and citrus zest" and "crisp acidity"

followed by

"creamy mouthfeel"

I experienced this contradictory sensation last night with an unoaked chardonnay. It had a citrus taste to it, but I could only describe the mouthfeel as "creamy". BUT, it didn't -taste- "creamy". There's a difference between the taste of creamy (butter) and the mouthfeel of creamy (heavy, smooth, maybe a little oily).

I would wager that this "creamy" mouthfeel comes from the Viognier, which is known for being a little slick and oily on the palate. Although "crisp" and "creamy" both being used here are kind of contradictory, they can kind of coexist. Crisp on the attack, creamy on the mid-palate and finish.

I have not had this SB, but that's my take on what this description means As TMR says, YMMV.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

spdrcr05 wrote:Typically on Cellar 360 offerings we get a marketing person from 360.

aka INTLGerard

benben4683

quality posts: 1 Private Messages benben4683
joekerjr wrote:No Wisconsin?! That's a first. Almost tried to ship some to a nonexistent town in CA.

I KNOW! I was gonna wine woot for the first time today and thats what I get! I'm already pretty belligerent with woot anyway! I'll show you an economic downturn woot!!!

chillywaters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chillywaters

I guess they don't ship wine to Michigan....I couldn't get my state on the pull down list on the order page...bummer

ThorsHammer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ThorsHammer
chillywaters wrote:I guess they don't ship wine to Michigan....I couldn't get my state on the pull down list on the order page...bummer

Ohio disappeared too, and they refunded my monet The breadsticks need marinara!!!!!!! Democrats!!!

alfisti13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alfisti13

Cellar No. 8 North Coast Sauvignon Blanc - Three Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: diannap
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.687s
Last wooter to woot: alfisti13

OK, nice to see my name in the lights once again after a month of SIWBM. Have really depleted my stock of whites, and a nice SB is always appealing over the oaky, buttery chards I have come to not drink.

While this may be no Cloudy Bay from NZ, for $11 and change a bottle, it's hard to pass up even without LaBrat reports.

In for 3. Thanks WD for getting a pricepoint not too harsh to explain to wifey!

BTW we are still trying to organize the first wine woot tasting in Houston, so if anyone is reading this and wants to get together, please message me for more info or check the Houston thread!

Thanks!

We have been in many wine libraries with no books, yet so very much to learn...

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

cheron98 wrote:aka INTLGerard

Actually that would be Susan360 and I do not believe she is participating on this offer.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Must. resist. urge. to. immediately. open. KR. pinot. which just arrived.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

cheron98

INTLGerard wrote:Actually that would be Susan360 and I do not believe she is participating on this offer.

Ahhh. See, cuz I always see you being something of a point man for the Cellar360 stuffs, so I figured you were the rep. So what is your connection to Cellar360, if any? Or did I totally misinfer things

stefohnee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stefohnee
spdrcr05 wrote:Must. resist. urge. to. immediately. open. KR. pinot. which just arrived.

I could not resist this urge. I cracked open a bottle 2 night ago when it arrived - the stuff is delicious! Not super fruity (good!) -but richer and with an earthy forest floor thing going on. I like 'em earthy! It's just the hippie in me (I admit I have some patchouli perfume...). I'm going to be near the winery next month and now I want to visit!

Also, I am the world's slowest wine drinker. Is it OK to put some plastic wrap over your unfinished glass and finish drinking it the night after? Because I did. And it was still great, even though I haven't noticed that most pinot noirs open up at all after being decanted/in a glass for a bit.

mwfielder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwfielder
clayfu wrote:I think a good chunk of california SB has a more lush mouthfeel than NZ SB which is very crisp and acidic.

I agree completely....except for St. Supery's SB.

zero, count 'em, zero quality posts...

cheron98

cnherrick wrote:What is "labrat"?

Speaking of which, anyone out there get a bottle yet?

tomatillo

quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
rpm wrote:... Wine grapes have been grown there since the 19th century, occasionally pretty good.

Always appreciate the wry humor.

INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

cheron98 wrote:Ahhh. See, cuz I always see you being something of a point man for the Cellar360 stuffs, so I figured you were the rep. So what is your connection to Cellar360, if any? Or did I totally misinfer things

No connection. I simply had the opportunity to taste the offerings and chime in on wines abroad.

cheron98

INTLGerard wrote:No connection. I simply had the opportunity to taste the offerings and chime in on wines abroad.

Aha, my mistake

We appreciate your input nonetheless!

INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

mwfielder wrote:I agree completely....except for St. Supery's SB.

Love Supery's Dollarhide SB. I'd put Dry Creek up there as well. IMO

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2

no LabRats yet? I really want a heads up before mine gets here.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

yathink2 wrote:no LabRats yet? I really want a heads up before mine gets here.

working on it.

yathink2

thanks...

raykumli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raykumli

Just put a bottle of Cellar No. 8 in the frig to chill. My wife and I are going to an early dinner, and, as a relatively new labrat, I'll post my report later tonight

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
stefohnee wrote:I could not resist this urge. I cracked open a bottle 2 night ago when it arrived - the stuff is delicious! Not super fruity (good!) -but richer and with an earthy forest floor thing going on. I like 'em earthy! It's just the hippie in me (I admit I have some patchouli perfume...). I'm going to be near the winery next month and now I want to visit!

Also, I am the world's slowest wine drinker. Is it OK to put some plastic wrap over your unfinished glass and finish drinking it the night after? Because I did. And it was still great, even though I haven't noticed that most pinot noirs open up at all after being decanted/in a glass for a bit.

I've been finding lots of PN lately benefits from a bit of aeration. I usually pour mine back in the bottle, though, and stick it in the fridge after corking it.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
fairnymph wrote:I've been finding lots of PN lately benefits from a bit of aeration. I usually pour mine back in the bottle, though, and stick it in the fridge after corking it.

Snicker... I can honestly say "what she said"

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

*** Labrat alert ***

Ok, coming clean. The wine came in late to the warehouse and as a result we did not get the labrats out as intended. *Sorry*

HOWEVER, i've enlisted a couple of local yocals to fill in. Call them pinch hitters, Rat temps, (what should we call them?), but they will attempt to fill in as unbiased as possible and admirably. I know one thing, living where they live, they've all tasted alot of good wine.

Will increase rats in subsequent deals...

raykumli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raykumli

I confess. I'm one of the local yocals that was recruited to taste this Sauvignon Blanc. I live in Sonoma and do some consulting with the Wine.Woot folks. My palate is pretty mature....I'm an old goat. I first made wine in 1978 and ran a winery for a while.
We just returned from a wonderful dinner at Martini House in St. Helena and tasted the wine. It is definitely not a fruit-forward, floral wine which, by my taste, is good. There is an earthy quality to the nose, and it is a clean, refreshing wine that will pair well with many fish dishes, It will stand up to a variety of sauces and flavors.

mommybob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mommybob
raykumli wrote:I confess. I'm one of the local yocals that was recruited to taste this Sauvignon Blanc. I live in Sonoma and do some consulting with the Wine.Woot folks. My palate is pretty mature....I'm an old goat. I first made wine in 1978 and ran a winery for a while.
We just returned from a wonderful dinner at Martini House in St. Helena and tasted the wine. It is definitely not a fruit-forward, floral wine which, by my taste, is good. There is an earthy quality to the nose, and it is a clean, refreshing wine that will pair well with many fish dishes, It will stand up to a variety of sauces and flavors.

you convinced me! in for three - er, nine.

yathink2

raykumli wrote:I confess. I'm one of the local yocals that was recruited to taste this Sauvignon Blanc. I live in Sonoma and do some consulting with the Wine.Woot folks. My palate is pretty mature....I'm an old goat. I first made wine in 1978 and ran a winery for a while.

Thanks! I cant wait to get mine in...

mwfielder

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mwfielder
fairnymph wrote:I've been finding lots of PN lately benefits from a bit of aeration. I usually pour mine back in the bottle, though, and stick it in the fridge after corking it.

I very much like this thing

zero, count 'em, zero quality posts...

oblivious87

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oblivious87

I was on the edge and you convinced me to get 2! I'm well on my way to being a wine.woot addict!

cheron98

raykumli wrote:I confess. I'm one of the local yocals that was recruited to taste this Sauvignon Blanc.

Gotcha packed

TheFiddler

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheFiddler
Winedavid39 wrote:*** Labrat alert ***

Ok, coming clean. The wine came in late to the warehouse and as a result we did not get the labrats out as intended. *Sorry*

HOWEVER, i've enlisted a couple of local yocals to fill in. Call them pinch hitters, Rat temps, (what should we call them?), but they will attempt to fill in as unbiased as possible and admirably. I know one thing, living where they live, they've all tasted alot of good wine.

Will increase rats in subsequent deals...

Fiddle me this!
I've tasted 80% of the wines offered on wine.woot but never spent a penny.

I'm a sinple guy who usually rates wines as unpleasant, pleasant or very pleasant(KISS) so for Lab Rat purposes I employed the tastebuds of my wife for a well rounded review. Her tasting prowess grows with every huge wine company tasting seminar she attends. We opened the bottle at a medium chill and poured a taste each.

WIFE - The appearance is clear with a pale straw color. It had a very full nose and citrus, along with other fruits, is dominent. The first taste burst with pink grapefruit. With each sip the citrus taste mellowes and honeydew melon and white peach emerge. The palate is true to the nose. It is off-dry to dry with medium acidity, medium body, with a medium to long finish. (See, those seminars are coming in handy). The wine has more body than many SB I have tasted and has a touch of oiliness/creaminess to the mouth-feel.

ME - Pleasant. It went just fine with my fish fillets a la Gortons, rice de Lowry's and Jolly Green Giant green beans. Hey! I worked 11 hours yesterday and cooked dinner.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Labrat reports are good. My cellar needs some Sauvignon Blanc. I'm in.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
TheFiddler wrote:
ME - Pleasant. It went just fine with my fish fillets a la Gortons, rice de Lowry's and Jolly Green Giant green beans. Hey! I worked 11 hours yesterday and cooked dinner.

Thanks for the report. I think you and Scott Harvey have pushed me off the fence.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

wombativ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wombativ
cheron98 wrote:I experienced this contradictory sensation last night with an unoaked chardonnay. It had a citrus taste to it, but I could only describe the mouthfeel as "creamy". BUT, it didn't -taste- "creamy". There's a difference between the taste of creamy (butter) and the mouthfeel of creamy (heavy, smooth, maybe a little oily).

I would wager that this "creamy" mouthfeel comes from the Viognier, which is known for being a little slick and oily on the palate. Although "crisp" and "creamy" both being used here are kind of contradictory, they can kind of coexist. Crisp on the attack, creamy on the mid-palate and finish.

I have not had this SB, but that's my take on what this description means As TMR says, YMMV.

In the case of Sauv blanc, I find descriptors like "creamy" usually come from fermentation style. New Zealand wineries tend to have fruit that doesn't ripen quite as completely as CA fruit (giving the traditional high TA and methoxypyrizine/bell pepper flavors). In addition they'll normally cold ferment in stainless steel (some places will also use enzymes), all of which enhances the tropical fruit/citrusy aromatic content. The trend in California lately has been to treat Sauv blanc a little more like Chardonnay and fermenting part (or all in some cases) of the lot in barrels which add a lot to the body/mouthfeel of the wine.

My interpretation of the description using "crisp" and "creamy" is just that the wine should have high acidity and also a little more body than I'd normally expect from a Sauv blanc. Of course, I usually don't bother reading wine descriptions that wineries print up until after I've tasted . . .

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ddeuddeg wrote:

Thanks for the report. I think you and Scott Harvey have pushed me off the fence.

Dd, you know I can do nothing but love your sig quote. Good, old Papa.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
mwfielder wrote:I very much like this thing

Have not tried the Vinturi, but I am familiar with the Vinoglobe and the Soiree and they both work well--not as good as a wine funnel and decanter, but pretty well and much less hassle and storage space. Plus, the Vinoglobe and Soiree are one-handed operations, the Vinturi is a two-handed juggle. And they are cheaper!!

Here are Amazon links for most of the swirly things

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

It is a beautiful day....for a clue !!

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
wombativ wrote:My interpretation of the description using "crisp" and "creamy" is just that the wine should have high acidity and also a little more body than I'd normally expect from a Sauv blanc. Of course, I usually don't bother reading wine descriptions that wineries print up until after I've tasted . . .

I often find descriptions are outright lies, or at the very least have contradictory statements. Plonky cheap wine usually makes no mention of its plonkiness on the bottle, instead claiming some kind of fruit and a long, delicious finish. Nowhere do they mention fakey/candied fruit, acerbic or bitter flavors, alco-burn, or nasty aromas.

The more intriguing deceptive descriptions are for top-end wines. Usually these combine something like heavily oaked, powerful, jammy or ginormous fruit with elegant, food-friendly and balanced. While some wines manage to achieve this combination, most omgwin!.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

smartheart wrote:It is a beautiful day....for a clue !!

Beautiful indeed.

Clue? Rhymes with a Glen Campbell tune (kind of).