dayoff53

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dayoff53
auggie24 wrote:So, what is the difference? ;)

Chardonnay has more letters and that stupid double "n". Cabernet spells "A" frenchified - with an "et".

DayOff53
my cellar

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

andyduncan wrote:

JR: RANDY WE'VE GOT QUITE A TREAT TONIGHT, IT'S A BATTLE OF CHARDONNAYS WITH THE SIERRA CLUB VERSUS THE PARKER STATION TO SEE WHO CAN TAKE THE UN-COVETED TITLE OF "WORST WOOT WINE". I'VE SEEN THE THROBBING DISTENDED UNDERBELLY OF THIS WORLD AND I'M STILL SURPRISED AT WHAT WINE DAVID IS WILLING TO DO FOR A QUICK BUCK.

oh.... my goodness... that is too funny, and richly deserved.. classic!

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

The contenders:

The judges are tasting these blind, which should make them about as accurate as the judges at a normal UFC fight.

(the Dr. Pepper is the current favorite, ask SB about the Pepsi culture and how it has ruined our palates)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
Winedavid39 wrote:i'm canceling my afternoon plans for this..

Afternoon plans? Heck, it is almost midnight east coast time. Perhaps the Pencilthieves are causing the delay in game ...

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
dayoff53 wrote:Ain't it the truth! I dreamed about lab-ratting; I sketched it out in my head months ago. Yet, when it happens, I'm up against the fight of the century and my ratings are in the toilet!

I just can't read that goddammed fast, and I have the attention span of a 4yo on a good day. Now to go start Chapter 2 where you're eating pizza....

I love your vernacular!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

dayoff53 wrote:There it is, my friends, and ahead of schedule! Buy and enjoy!

OUT f***ing STANDING!

edited for appropriateness

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123
andyduncan wrote:The contenders:

The judges are tasting these blind, which should make them about as accurate as the judges at a normal UFC fight.

(the Dr. Pepper is the current favorite, ask SB about the Pepsi culture and how it has ruined our palates)

I am so lucky to be one of the judges in this epic battle. Half way through this fight there appears to be a distinct victor. As we get into the final round bottle 2 needs to come up big and force bottle one into submission. A leg bar, a choke out something to get this fight stopped.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

otolith

Winedavid39 wrote:oh.... my goodness... that is too funny, and richly deserved.. classic!

You hit it out of the park with your choices!

--John Muir

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
dayoff53 wrote: clip...The Days Delight was in an inappropriate slate Bordeaux bottle, but had a much more attractive label....clip

Best. Label. Ever.

And a very good lab report too. Thanks!

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

andyduncan

So, it did end up going to a decision, and we'll have to tally up the results afterwords.

Wine 2: Fruity, lots of strawberries and classic pinot wet hay. A little bit of barnyard. Generally a very easy drinking, bright pinot. Good concentration but still elegant. My memory says this is the BVista (but then again, I can't tell cab from merlot)

Wine 1: Earthy, cedar/pencil shavings, is taking a while to open up, this is probably the KR. Hints of strawberry poking through. Spicy finish, lots of complexity.

Both are very nice, I think #1 needs time in the bottle, and right now it needs time to open up. We'll post updates.

If you've been reading between the lines on our saga, the fedex truck failed to deliver our wine, so I had to go pick it up from the fedex location. Unfortunately that meant we can't taste it at the office with Pencilthief and the rest of the crew. So I apologize for the delay. I'm tasting with apw2123 and his wife (my birthday buddy! same day, same year!). ap's going to post his own review.

more to follow.

dayoff53

otolith wrote:OUTSTANDING!

My drill sergeant would have called that "out-f***ing-standing," and if it were truly worthy of distinction, "out-f***ing-standing in the rain." He was the genesis of the f***ing scale for me and was truly adept at the use of that most versatile of all adjectives.

Thank you!

DayOff53
my cellar

kyle83uw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kyle83uw
dayoff53 wrote:Ain't it the truth! I dreamed about lab-ratting; I sketched it out in my head months ago. Yet, when it happens, I'm up against the fight of the century and my ratings are in the toilet!

Gotta say though- you produced one of the best labrat reports that I've read- so you're at least putting up a hell of a fight- now it's up to AD...

otolith

dayoff53 wrote:My drill sergeant would have called that "out-f***ing-standing," and if it were truly worthy of distinction, "out-f***ing-standing in the rain." He was the genesis of the f***ing scale for me and was truly adept at the use of that most versatile of all adjectives.

Thank you!

You are correct! I f***ed up and changed it to the more appropriate vernacular. L O L

--John Muir

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
merbill wrote:Best. Label. Ever.

And a very good lab report too. Thanks!

I have to concur...on all accounts. But especially the label. Can I buy a bottle of your wine? PLEASE?!?!?!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

dayoff53

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I have to concur...on all accounts. But especially the label. Can I buy a bottle of your wine? PLEASE?!?!?!

As I tell the lovely Kay, there are two things I like and wine is one of them. All my wine labels feature attractive, scantily clad women. Maybe I'll post some more of them on Picasa. Watch this space. (NOT SAFE FOR WORK!)

edit: added content warning

DayOff53
my cellar

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
dayoff53 wrote:As I tell the lovely Kay, there are two things I like and wine is one of them. All my wine labels feature attractive, scantily clad women. Maybe I'll post some more of them on Picasa. Watch this space.

Thanks for the NOT SAFE FOR WORK warning. NOT

otolith

dayoff53 wrote:As I tell the lovely Kay, there are two things I like and wine is one of them. All my wine labels feature attractive, scantily clad women. Maybe I'll post some more of them on Picasa. Watch this space.

clayfu wrote:Thanks for the NOT SAFE FOR WORK warning. NOT

How much more of a warning did you need?

--John Muir

nbj86

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nbj86

That's sooo tight

dayoff53

Okay, that's most of them. Enjoy in the privacy of your own cellar - NOT SAFE FOR WORK!
(is that better?)

DayOff53
my cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I have to concur...on all accounts. But especially the label. Can I buy a bottle of your wine? PLEASE?!?!?!

Who cares about his wines??? I want to buy his labels ......

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

HitAnyKey42

dayoff53 wrote:Okay, that's most of them. Enjoy in the privacy of your own cellar - NOT SAFE FOR WORK!
(is that better?)

Most definitely great pics. And the back labels are great too. Only read through a handful of them as it's midnight here now and I'm pooped and crawling into bed.
The label for the Pinot was still the best. Nothing better than a hot woman pouring wine over her breast as she holds it firmly in her hand.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

dayoff53

I am willing to bend some laws - like the copyrights on some of the pictures used on my labels - but draw the line at selling boot-leg liquor openly on the internet. Too many clues to my identity - too much at risk! Now, a gift or trade, that's something to talk about...
Thanks for the encouragement!

DayOff53
my cellar

diannap

quality posts: 7 Private Messages diannap

Ok, am I the ONLY woman in the room? Feeling outnumbered here.

Labrat report coming very shortly... ;)

clayfu

otolith wrote:How much more of a warning did you need?

a big NSFW. I didn't know that space he was linking to were his half naked women. He said he "may post" his labels. I clicked his link out of morbid curiosity of what else he had.

HitAnyKey42

clayfu wrote:a big NSFW. I didn't know that space he was linking to were his half naked women. He said he "may post" his labels. I clicked his link out of morbid curiosity of what else he had.

Better yet...what the hell are you still doing at work that you need a NSFW warning? Even West-coast time it's already 9pm. Go home already and drink some wine!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

clayfu

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Better yet...what the hell are you still doing at work that you need a NSFW warning? Even West-coast time it's already 9pm. Go home already and drink some wine!

unfortunately i will where i am late, surrounded by wandering and discerning eyes. AKA law library!

dayoff53

diannap wrote:Ok, am I the ONLY woman in the room? Feeling outnumbered here.

Labrat report coming very shortly... ;)

Sorry, diannap, I struggle to be politically correct about 40 hours per week and absolutely give up the fight when I get home. I like women. I respect women. I don't want to offend women. I like looking at nearly nude women. Can I still be OK?

DayOff53
my cellar

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
dayoff53 wrote:Okay, that's most of them. Enjoy in the privacy of your own cellar - NOT SAFE FOR WORK!
(is that better?)

Must...refrain...from making naughty wine puns...

diannap

dayoff53 wrote:Sorry, diannap, I struggle to be politically correct about 40 hours per week and absolutely give up the fight when I get home. I like women. I respect women. I don't want to offend women. I like looking at nearly nude women. Can I still be OK?

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not offended...just feeling outnumbered. Its all in good fun. And I DEFINITELY don't allow political correctness. One of my largest pet peeves!

diannap

Ok, here comes the tasting report after I finish my last glass...Go easy on the only woman in the crowd! I always find Pinot Noirs the toughest wines to assess.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
dayoff53 wrote:I am willing to bend some laws - like the copyrights on some of the pictures used on my labels - but draw the line at selling boot-leg liquor openly on the internet. Too many clues to my identity - too much at risk! Now, a gift or trade, that's something to talk about...
Thanks for the encouragement!

Based on your labrat report, it wouldn't bother me if the bottles were empty....

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

dayoff53

merbill wrote:Based on your labrat report, it wouldn't bother me if the bottles were empty....

Ouch! Honesty can be so painful...

DayOff53
my cellar

diannap

Oh, the pressure!!! I bow to the humor and creativity of my counterparts. I disclaim by saying I’m just happy the 3 year old and baby are sound asleep…I’m hoping for a “wakefree” evening of wine tasting. If I get that, I’m going to be REALLY happy. So with laptop in hand I’ll tackle the Kent Rasmussen Pinot Noir.

The Fedex man dropped my box and golden ticket off in the afternoon, too early to open, so I brought it to the cellar and let it maintain its temp – it was perfect cool weather for wine delivery today. In the evening, I brought it back out, and opened it to find very little color on the cork and an initial aroma of light berry, perhaps cherry and strawberry.

Since I’m not the patient type, I poured a small taste right away. The color is beautiful – a perfect light, ruby red with exceptional clarity that sparkled in the light. I’m now getting a little floral perhaps, but definitely still the light berry. Initial taste is high alcohol, moderate tannins and cherry/strawberry. It definitely needs time to breathe. Its very hard to discern flavor over the acidity/alcohol at this point.

(Really wanting to start drinking this wine now. I have an open bottle of Pinotage from last night – vacuum sealed. Tempted to try some, but will resist to maintain fairness for the PN. Sigh.)

30 minutes after opening – Its easing up a bit, but needs more time.

1 hour after opening – Still no real lasting strong flavors. Tried it with both Salmon and Chicken, and we both agreed that food did not improve the wine and vice versa. Food made it have even more bite on immediate taste. Maybe if it had more time to breathe it would be a different story. If I had to pick, I much preferred the Rosemary chicken with it versus the Salmon. Perhaps the earthiness of the Rosemary plays off the wine a bit. Perhaps we should have eaten a little later, but I was hungry, so I digress…

2 hours after opening – More flavors are starting to come through. It does not leave the palette immediately anymore. It continues to have too much bite for my taste, so I must conserve the remainder and stay up later to see how this changes.

Time to start considering chocolate. I have a great triple layer chocolate mousse cake in the fridge. I think its going to have to be eaten. Soon.

3 hours after opening – Ok, here we go. Now I’m really starting to see a change. The flavors now sit on the palette, rather than disappearing quickly. I’m getting a bright, sharp, berry explosion upon tasting which drifts off into a fresh tartness. Now getting more dark cherry and raspberry. The acidity is no longer overpowering the flavors. I’m getting excited to see what its like at 4 hours!

4 hours after opening – Really enjoying this now. The cherry, raspberry are still prevalent and rich. Flavor fills the mouth and has a hint of light earthiness. Such a dramatic change from when it was first opened. I still wouldn’t put it with the Salmon, but it probably would have gone nicely with the chicken at this point. Going to get that chocolate cake…now.

The bottom line: It’s a gorgeous looking wine – the color and clarity are remarkable. After sufficient time, the flavors were bright, fresh and enjoyable. The change from initial opening to several hours later was absolutely remarkable. Ultimately, I think it will be a really good wine after a few more years. I’m glad I bought it, but plan to keep my 3 bottles for awhile before opening. Should you woot? Yes, go click that button if you’ve got patience to let it sit a bit. I think it will be a really nice wine, given some time.

Full circle - Children are still sleeping, and mommy had a nice night wine tasting. Thanks for sending the golden ticket Wine.woot! I'd love to do it again sometime!

andyduncan

We formed our opinions and revealed the bottles to the judges. First, a note.

When I labratted the Zahtilla cab, a lot of people ended up not liking that wine, which was at odds with my recommendation.

When I tasted my actual bottles from that offering, I still liked them, but I can understand why some people wouldn't. They were very funky, maybe a little unbalanced (clay would say "HOLY CRAPSTICKS THE ALCOHOL"), but I enjoyed the pencil-shavings and funkiness that I think other people objected to, and I thought the QPR for a non-fruit-bomb napa cab was worthwhile.

So along those lines I think the most useful thing would be to categorize this as best I can rather than just say "get it". (but get it).

This isn't a big, syrah-pinot, but neither is it a light ultra-sultry cali pinot. I don't have enough experience with burgundies to say whether it's truly burgundian, but it's certainly more "old-world-y" than most cali pinot I've had.

To be completely subjective, I really like it, it's complex and interesting and it has evolved in the glass, but if you're looking for either a big, knock-you-out syrah pinot (saxon brown), or a super fruity pinot (willammette and roesller), this isn't going to be your style, it's an interesting, complex wine that was good with dinner (chicken and potatoes) and kept getting more interesting as it spent time in the glass.

It's a little hard for me to classify, honestly, I haven't had pinots exactly like this. It's concentrated without being over extracted, and it's definitely pinot without being a caricature of a pinot. There's a lot to talk about in the wine.

I think what clay was saying about the 2006s being quite closed would seem to hold true with this one, it's opening up, but I think it still needs time in the bottle. There's even enough tannin to make me think this could be one for the cellar.

I really like the Buena Vista, I think it's a really nice pinot and I especially love the nose of it. But it just doesn't have the midpalate complexity that the KR does.

Given that pinot is absurdly overpriced these days (but getting better) it's difficult to talk about QPR, but for $25/bottle shipped I think the QPR is through the roof. This is a complex, age-worthy wine that is good with food and appears like something that is only going to get more interesting.

apw2123

quality posts: 7 Private Messages apw2123
apw2123 wrote:I am so lucky to be one of the judges in this epic battle. Half way through this fight there appears to be a distinct victor. As we get into the final round bottle 2 needs to come up big and force bottle one into submission. A leg bar, a choke out something to get this fight stopped.

Well that is it, what a great fight between to worthy contenders. The winner is wine 1 which happens to be the Ken Rasmussen. In the end KR with his old world taste and great finish were able to carry him to victory. Thanks AD for the opportunity to labrat this with you (I am the legs in the pic)

In all seriousness this is a great wine. Very old world, Burgundy and very Beaune. There is a metallic smell with hints of pencil shavings. The KR was very complex with a little spice on the finish, not expected. The fruit on the pallet was subtle yet distinguishable, berries. The Buena Vista had a little more Poo on the front. The KR is not a super fruity Syrah type pinot. It could use 3+ years to really become a great wine.

I have been to Beaune and tasted 10-15 wines, i thinks, and this is the closest to what I enjoyed there. I am in for 1 but only because my wife said that was all I was allowed to order. If you have the means I suggest 3. Thanks to Dunk and the wife for a great night of wine and food. I love spring break.

Buy wine because you like it, not because someone said that is the wine you should drink.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Kent's wines are always good. I need some Pinot, especially well made lower alcohol wines like Kent's. I'm in. Want to also thank everyone for all the wonderful birthday greetings.

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
apw2123 wrote:...Very old world, Burgundy and very Beaune.

Wednesday. I made it to Wednesday. "This wine's above my SIWBPriceCap," I said. "What will I do with three bottles of age-able pinot noir, with no space in my winefridge?" I said. "And regardless of who makes it, it's still from Cali..." I said. And that got me to Wednesday morning without clicking the yellow button.

Then you had to go and drop the 6-letter B-word.

In for one.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
gijose wrote:man, am i the only one that actually enjoyed the WV pinots?

and i still haven't opened the estate...

I liked the Whole Cluster, though it was atypical. Haven't opened the Estate yet. The middle one - eh. I would not get it again. I prefer the Roessler PN.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

clayfu

andyduncan wrote:We formed our opinions and revealed the bottles to the judges. First, a note.

When I labratted the Zahtilla cab, a lot of people ended up not liking that wine, which was at odds with my recommendation.

When I tasted my actual bottles from that offering, I still liked them, but I can understand why some people wouldn't. They were very funky, maybe a little unbalanced (clay would say "HOLY CRAPSTICKS THE ALCOHOL"), but I enjoyed the pencil-shavings and funkiness that I think other people objected to, and I thought the QPR for a non-fruit-bomb napa cab was worthwhile.

So along those lines I think the most useful thing would be to categorize this as best I can rather than just say "get it". (but get it).

This isn't a big, syrah-pinot, but neither is it a light ultra-sultry cali pinot. I don't have enough experience with burgundies to say whether it's truly burgundian, but it's certainly more "old-world-y" than most cali pinot I've had.

To be completely subjective, I really like it, it's complex and interesting and it has evolved in the glass, but if you're looking for either a big, knock-you-out syrah pinot (saxon brown), or a super fruity pinot (willammette and roesller), this isn't going to be your style, it's an interesting, complex wine that was good with dinner (chicken and potatoes) and kept getting more interesting as it spent time in the glass.

It's a little hard for me to classify, honestly, I haven't had pinots exactly like this. It's concentrated without being over extracted, and it's definitely pinot without being a caricature of a pinot. There's a lot to talk about in the wine.

I think what clay was saying about the 2006s being quite closed would seem to hold true with this one, it's opening up, but I think it still needs time in the bottle. There's even enough tannin to make me think this could be one for the cellar.

I really like the Buena Vista, I think it's a really nice pinot and I especially love the nose of it. But it just doesn't have the midpalate complexity that the KR does.

Given that pinot is absurdly overpriced these days (but getting better) it's difficult to talk about QPR, but for $25/bottle shipped I think the QPR is through the roof. This is a complex, age-worthy wine that is good with food and appears like something that is only going to get more interesting.

There's a winery Arcadian in Lompoc that KNOWS that their low alcohol pinots are not meant for early consumption so they release their wines VERY late. RIght now they are just starting to release their 2005 pinots! Imagine in a vintage like 05 where the fruit was more powerful and ripe needs so much time for a low alcohol pinot, something like 06 might need even more!

clayfu

apw2123 wrote:Well that is it, what a great fight between to worthy contenders. The winner is wine 1 which happens to be the Ken Rasmussen. In the end KR with his old world taste and great finish were able to carry him to victory. Thanks AD for the opportunity to labrat this with you (I am the legs in the pic)

In all seriousness this is a great wine. Very old world, Burgundy and very Beaune. There is a metallic smell with hints of pencil shavings. The KR was very complex with a little spice on the finish, not expected. The fruit on the pallet was subtle yet distinguishable, berries.

stemmy? forest floor? mushroom? floral nose? any of that in your tastings?