Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

andyduncan wrote:JR: WE'RE STILL WAITING FOR THE KR PINOT TO ARRIVE BUT IN THE MEANTIME I'VE JUST BEEN HANDED SOME INFORMATION ON OUR MYSTERY CONTENDER. IT LOOKS LIKE THESE TWO GREW UP JUST ACROSS THE TRACKS FROM EACH OTHER.

RC: So the mystery contender is from Carneros as well eh?

JR: RANDY, THESE TWO GREW UP SO CLOSE THEY COULD SPIT ON EACH OTHER, AND I'M SURE THEY WOULD IF THEY WERE BOTH HERE RIGHT NOW.

RC: So where is Rassmussen?

JR: PROBABLY TROLLING WEST HOLLYWOOD FOR TRANNY HOOKERS. SOME OF THE BEST PINOTS TEND TO HAVE A WEIRD FETISH FOR POWER AND ELEGANCE, AND NOTHING MIXES BOTH OF THOSE QUITE LIKE A PUERTO RICAN DRAG QUEEN.

RC: I'm not quite sure what to say Joe, you seem to know a little more about that than I'm comfortable with.

JR: MY SHIRT IS TOO TIGHT

i'm canceling my afternoon plans for this..

dayoff53

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dayoff53
dayoff53 wrote:New Meadows, Idaho (population 647 when I graduated high school in 1953).

SWMBO points out that I did NOT graduate HS in 1953. I was BORN in '53; GRADUATED in the revered class of '71.

DayOff53
my cellar

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
andyduncan wrote:
RC: So where is Rassmussen?

JR: PROBABLY TROLLING WEST HOLLYWOOD FOR TRANNY HOOKERS. SOME OF THE BEST PINOTS TEND TO HAVE A WEIRD FETISH FOR POWER AND ELEGANCE, AND NOTHING MIXES BOTH OF THOSE QUITE LIKE A PUERTO RICAN DRAG QUEEN.

Tomorrow morning, when you regain consciousness after opening the door only to be met by a fist squarely impacting your nose... that guy you see walking away down your sidewalk... that was Kent.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb
andyduncan wrote:JR: SOME OF THE BEST PINOTS TEND TO HAVE A WEIRD FETISH FOR POWER AND ELEGANCE, AND NOTHING MIXES BOTH OF THOSE QUITE LIKE A PUERTO RICAN DRAG QUEEN.

I think I've found my new status message for...everything

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
eric9tx wrote:Tomorrow morning, when you regain consciousness after opening the door only to be met by a fist squarely impacting your nose... that guy you see walking away down your sidewalk... that was Kent.

I love the confluence of your response to that post and your earlier "admission" in the pub.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
PetiteSirah wrote:The FFC 2005 PN Reserve (Sonoma Coast) that we had on here close to 2 years ago (and then in a subsequent wootoff) is drinking really well right now. Last year it was all fruit, now there's a ton of earth as well. Great color and complexity, and a steal at the woot price (and also at the 6 for under $100 with free shipping on orders over $100 special they had in fall '07).

So upset I missed that 2nd sale from the winery. Really enjoyed that bottle. It needs a decent amount of time to breath if I recall correctly. I just finished my last bottle in the beginning of Feb.

elisharenee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elisharenee

[quote postid="3072636" user="doerning"]not to sound like a total n00b, but could someone please talk a little about the whole lab rat business? I've seen it talked about but can't find any details. If it has to do with tasting notes I'd love to get involved. I'd like to think I've finally started to develop a nice palate :P

I was feeling like a n00b also...I would love to be a lab rat whatever it might be

~elisha

diannap

quality posts: 7 Private Messages diannap
diannap wrote:Waiting, Waiting...

Mar 24, 2009 8:15 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

And, it has arrived. Since I can't even be to compete with the amazing life biography and addictive storyline, I'll just save my writings for after its open!

Looking at the pretty dusty bottle...with the golden ticket. Yum.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
kc8501 wrote:Ok, so judging by the responses to the VA wine question, they have a bad rep. I'm not a big "wine aficionado" I just drink what I like and I've had as many yucky wines from CA as here. But I will say this, some of my absolute favs are from local vineyards in central Va.

Also, did you mean Horton instead of Norton? If so, I will say this, I LOVE many of their wines, so I guess it's simply a matter of opinion.

And for the ignorant what exactly is QPR?

I meant Norton, Virginia's native grape variety. A grape that IMHO has a HORRIBLE QPR everywhere I've tasted it.

QPR = Quality/Price Ratio

EDIT: I see this was answered in both respects much earlier today. My bad.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
PetiteSirah wrote:I love the confluence of your response to that post and your earlier "admission" in the pub.

Those two concepts are mutually exclusive. I can assure you I'm not Puerto Rican.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

JR: SO WHILE THE KR PINOT IS ENJOYING THE SERVICES OF ONE LA'S MANY PHILLIPINO LADYBOY MASSAGE PARLORS, SEVERAL OF WHICH I, JOSEPH ROGAN, AM A PASSIONATE AND FREQUENT CUSTOMER OF, I SEE YOU'VE GOTTEN THE STAT SHEET FOR OUR MYSTERY CONTENDER.

RC: I'm going to ignore the first part of that, let's just move on to the stats... So it looks like we've got a 100% Pinot Noir from Carneros, weighing in at just under the welterweight limit of 14.5% alcohol.

JR: I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF HE WEIGHS IN A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN THAT TODAY RANDY, I'VE MET THIS GUY, HE'S GOT SOME STAGE PRESENCE. WHAT'S HIS AGE AND REACH?

RC: He's a 2005, so a year older than our Rasmussen, but he is carrying a reach advantage at just under 2400 cases produced, versus a little over 1500 cases for the Rasmussen.

JR: HARDLY AN OLD FART LIKE YOU THOUGH EH?

RC: I could crush you.

JR: SO WHAT ABOUT TRAINING AND STYLES? WHAT DOJO IS THIS GUY FIGHTING OUT OF?

RC: Well, we still don't know which school he's coming out of but we know he spent about 8 months in 50% new, all French oak from a variety of coopers, and he's tested at around 0.54TA and 3.59pH, versus 40% new of mostly French with a bit of Hungarian and 0.52TA and 3.71pH for the KR Pinot.

JR: THOSE HUNGARIANS REALLY LIKE THEIR GRAPPLING. I EXPECT A QUICK TAKEDOWN FOLLOWED BY SOME GROUND AND POUND. I REMEMBER ONE TIME I MET THIS REALLY TALL, STRONG, EXOTIC HUNGARIAN WOMAN...

RC: Yeah that's probably enough about that...

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
dayoff53 wrote: So, how am I going to describe what I see/smell/taste in this 2006 Rasmussen Pinot Noir? You just don’t know, do you. And neither do I. All I can say is, why would they make it and peddle it on Wine.Woot if it wasn’t going to be really, really good? I hope it is.

Yikes, after all that I hope he pops the cork to let it breathe.

diannap

This rat is at a loss...

I'm deeply divided on what to have for dinner tonight with the Pinot Noir. Thought I'd do some tasting notes both with and without food. Someone want to decide my food fate for me?

MOROCCAN LAMB CHOPS with mushroom risotto and curried apple-mint sauce

ROSEMARY CHICKEN pan-fried with linguini, sauteed vegetables and fresh herb sauce

NEW YORK STRIP herb rubbed - parmesan whipped potatoes and marsala sauce

WOOD ROASTED SALMON set on roasted potatoes and vegetables with pesto aioli

andyduncan

diannap wrote:This rat is at a loss...

I'm deeply divided on what to have for dinner tonight with the Pinot Noir. Thought I'd do some tasting notes both with and without food. Someone want to decide my food fate for me?

ROSEMARY CHICKEN pan-fried with linguini, sauteed vegetables and fresh herb sauce

JR: I VOTE THE CHICKEN

SoSiouxme

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SoSiouxme

Seriously, you are hurting me. Physically hurting me.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
andyduncan wrote:

Agreed. Or the salmon. Concerned that the meat will overpower the wine.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
andyduncan wrote:

Dang AD, bring it on already!

jonstrib

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jonstrib

wow, making me hungry. i'd second the salmon. it will probably pair well with any of these dishes, including the steak (just to see how it stands up to a heavier meat) but the salmon or chicken would seemingly let the wine shine best.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

*** Momentary thread hijack ***

It's Scott Harvey's birthday today! Stop by and wish him a good one, and if you got 'em, pop 'em!

*** We now return you to AD's PN Death Match Rumble ***

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
andyduncan wrote:

I vote she lets me come over for dinner. Those all sound good and WAY beyond my abilities for cooking.

Also, I agree with the Salmon vote. Then again, I'm a seafood lover...so I'd probably always vote salmon when it's pitted against other dishes.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

diannap

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I vote she lets me come over for dinner. Those all sound good and WAY beyond my abilities for cooking.

Also, I agree with the Salmon vote. Then again, I'm a seafood lover...so I'd probably always vote salmon when it's pitted against other dishes.

Oh, there is no cooking happening here...that's a cut and paste from the menu of a little couple owned restaurant down the street. Ordering one salmon, one chicken and a piece of tiramisu for dessert. Might have to break open a nice dessert wine later!

andyduncan

RC: So, Joe, we're getting word that the KR Pinot's driver was arrested for incompetence, methamphetamine possession, and soliciting an undercover officer. We're going to have to send someone to pick up KR Pinot down at the station. What do you think this means for our fight?

JR: WOW RANDY. I DIDN'T THINK THE CONTRIVED SUSPENSE COULD GET ANY MORE ANNOYING. HOPEFULLY OUR CONTENDER ISN'T IN THE LOCKER ROOM FILLING UP ON DIP AND SODA. QUITE FRANKLY I'M SUSPICIOUS OF KR'S STORY. I CAN'T SEE THIS AS ANYTHING OTHER THAN A POWER PLAY TO FREAK OUT THE CONTENDER.

RC: When do you think we'll be ready to get this fight started?

JR: WELL, IN MY EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE SOLICITATION IS A PRETTY PAINLESS BOOKING, SO I EXPECT WE SHOULD HAVE KR PINOT OUT OF THE HOOSEGOW AND BACK HERE READY TO ROCK AND ROLL BY 7:30 AT THE LATEST.

RC: All right, well we'll keep you posted, in the meantime lets get to the undercard, who do we have fighting here tonight?

JR: RANDY WE'VE GOT QUITE A TREAT TONIGHT, IT'S A BATTLE OF CHARDONNAYS WITH THE SIERRA CLUB VERSUS THE PARKER STATION TO SEE WHO CAN TAKE THE UN-COVETED TITLE OF "WORST WOOT WINE". I'VE SEEN THE THROBBING DISTENDED UNDERBELLY OF THIS WORLD AND I'M STILL SURPRISED AT WHAT WINE DAVID IS WILLING TO DO FOR A QUICK BUCK.

HitAnyKey42

diannap wrote:Oh, there is no cooking happening here...that's a cut and paste from the menu of a little couple owned restaurant down the street. Ordering one salmon, one chicken and a piece of tiramisu for dessert. Might have to break open a nice dessert wine later!

Ah, ok. I thought the way you typed that up looked a little abnormal for the way a normal person might do so. LOL
Still sounds much better than the leftover mac-n-cheese and cream of brocoli soup from lunch today and maybe whatever else I might be able to scrounge up. At least this 2004 Super Hero Wines InZINerator that I'm sipping to celebrate Scott Harvey's birthday is tasting OH-SO WONDERFUL!

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
diannap wrote:Oh, there is no cooking happening here...that's a cut and paste from the menu of a little couple owned restaurant down the street. Ordering one salmon, one chicken and a piece of tiramisu for dessert. Might have to break open a nice dessert wine later!

A little late, but I love salmon paired with Oregon Pinot, so I expect with KR's that you will find it pairs well salmon.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

kylemittskus

andyduncan wrote: ...AND I'M STILL SURPRISED AT WHAT WINE DAVID IS WILLING TO DO FOR A QUICK BUCK.

Zing!

Is the entire fight going to be packed Cheron?

cheron98

andyduncan wrote:

RC: So, Joe, we're getting word that the KR Pinot's driver was arrested for incompetence

Yer killin' me. It's too funny NOT to pack the whole thing. But geez man

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:Zing!

Is the entire fight going to be packed Cheron?

Go see the ratpack thread and find out

Killin' me.

HitAnyKey42

cheron98 wrote:Yer killin' me. It's too funny NOT to pack the whole thing. But geez man

Not only that, but he's setting a standard that at least the more regulars of the forum are going to have to follow whenever they get ratted.

At this point, I can't wait to be ratted again. Just so I can try to have some fun. Though I know it'll be nowhere near as entertaining as AD.

My Cellar
NYC Tastings

kylemittskus

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Not only that, but he's setting a standard that at least the more regulars of the forum are going to have to follow whenever they get ratted.

At this point, I can't wait to be ratted again. Just so I can try to have some fun. Though I know it'll be nowhere near as entertaining as AD.

We have had a video report. Now add a play-by-play with characters. I can see this getting out of control.

cheron98

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Not only that, but he's setting a standard that at least the more regulars of the forum are going to have to follow whenever they get ratted.

He's -always- entertaining. It's impossible to match his level of wit on these forums.

cheron98

kylemittskus wrote:We have had a video report. Now add a play-by-play with characters. I can see this getting out of control.

Too late.

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:He's -always- entertaining. It's impossible to match his level of wit on these forums.

That sounds like a challenge!!!

I'm sure someone here will take it.

:looks around:

dayoff53

Well, I couldn’t wait to get to FedEx to pick up the swill. They said after 6:00 – I was there at 5:10. The wine was there at 5:45. On the way to FedEx, I stopped off at a local wine pusher named, I carp you negative, “Bueno Cheapo Vino”. There, I picked up a bottle of Stephen Vincent 2006 Sonoma County Pinot Noir (hereinafter sometimes referred to as “the cheap s**t”) for $13.99, which is one of two wines I wanted to taste along side the Kent Rasmussen Carneros 2006 Pinot Noir (hereinafter sometimes referred to as “the Rasmussen”). When I got home, I went into my cellar (okay, I went upstairs and opened the door on my Vinotemp 500EC, purchased 18 months ago from Costco) and pulled a bottle of the 2006 British Columbia Pinot Noir I made from an RJ Spagnols kit last fall (for lack of a better term, hereinafter referred to as my Days Delight – my fantasy winery label). While Kay, the love of my life, my wife of 29 years, and SWMBO, started making home-made pizza, I sat down with the three bottles, three identical and scrupulously clean glasses, and my cobbled-together home-built computer to write the undying prose that you are now reading.

Before opening the bottles, I let them all come to approximately the same temperature, which I think is around 68 degrees F. While I was waiting, I studied the bottles. The Rasmussen and the cheap s**t where both in classic Burgundy bottles as befits the wine, though the Rasmussen bottle was heavier and much darker. The Days Delight was in an inappropriate slate Bordeaux bottle, but had a much more attractive label (NOT SAFE FOR WORK). The Days Delight had a stated alcohol content of 12.9%, but I calculated that myself from hydrometer readings I made, and I only guarantee accuracy to about + or – 1%. The cheap s**t claimed 13.6% alchol and the Rasmussen weighed in at 13%. After admiring the labels for a while, I began to open the bottles. Here again, I noticed a distinct difference among the wines. All had foil toppers on the bottles, but the Days Delight had a cheap heat-shrink plastic “foil”, the cheap s**t had real foil, and the Rasmussen had a heavier gauge real foil. The Days Delight was stopped with an agglomerated cork; the cheap s**t also had an agglomerated cork, but with real cork slices on the ends to make it look more “real”; the Rasmussen had a natural cork imprinted with the winery name but – quality control issue here! – punched into the neck of the bottle a good 1/8th of an inch too far. That last almost spoiled the whole experience for me, but I soldiered on.

My initial tasting was only moments after drawing the corks. I poured a little of each into the identical glasses, letting it splash to aerate a little. When comparing color, all three had the distinctive light red Pinot Noir color and all were sparkling clear. The cheap s**t was slightly lighter in color than either of the others, which both appeared identical. Then, I swirled each glass and stuck my beak into each to sample the gaseous emissions. Here, my Days Delight really let me down. It had a pleasant enough smell, but was pretty non-descript and “weak” on the nose compared to the other two. The cheap s**t was distinctly red fruit to me – strawberries and raspberries come to mind – while the Rasmussen seemed a little darker – cherries and currants, perhaps. I got a little floral smell from the Rasmussen and the cheap s**t and mostly floral from the Days Delight.

In tasting, I decided to go with the Rasmussen first and last to see how it changed after trying the others. When it first went in my mouth, I had a distinct impression of sour red berries – not fully ripe red raspberries and pie cherries. It had distinctive and pleasant tannins and a moderately long finish, going toward vegetal and herbal as it faded. My over-all impression at this point was that it was a VERY good pinot – perhaps the best I’ve had, though I am pretty new to pinots and generally buy only inexpensive wines. It certainly held up to the best I tried in the Willamette Valley recently. The cheap s**t was also surprisingly good. It was perhaps a little harsher on the tongue and had more bitter herbiness to me, but was still a very good pinot. The Days Delight also ran. It was a bit flabby in comparison to the others and had little discernable distinctively pinot qualities, though it was thoroughly inoffensive and went down smoothly.

Okay, pizza’s done, so it’s off to the kitchen for further tasting…

Right! Well, I’m trying to give a fair taste test and comparison of three different wines. That requires frequent slurping, swishing and swallowing. Well, I suppose I could spit, but my momma taught me that spitting is really impolite and my daddy taught me to be way too cheap to throw away even bad … well, anything – certainly not wine; he was a tea-totaller. Okay, I was tempted to spit the Days Delight after awhile, but I cowboyed up and did my duty. Trouble is, I’m well in to three bottles of wine now and trying to write coherently. I take no responsibility for my typos and errors in etiquette or judgment from this point forward.

The pizza was a mild-flavored Canadian bacon, mushrooms, black olives and fresh onions. I spiced it up with a liberal sprinkling of red pepper flakes. This is the point where I was ready to spit the Days Delight. What was an inoffensive, easy drinking, non-descript wine had become really flabby and damned near tasteless. It’s only redeeming virtue was that it was alcoholic and thus could be expected to contribute to a convivial dinner, right up to the point when you’ve gone from happy to stupid. The cheap s**t, on the other hand, was a real treat. Whether from opening up as it aerated further or from the match with the food or both, the flavors became more distinctive. The acidity really worked well with the slight sweetness of the pizza sauce and the fruitiness was a nice counterpoint to the capsaicin in the pepper flakes. Definitely a wine for food! The Rasmussen was even better than the cheap s**t – though only by a hair. It had a similar flavor and mouth feel, but with a longer and slightly fruitier finish. Again, this is a wine that wants to hang out with a nice meal, and it would go with a wide variety of dishes. I am imagining it with chicken and dumplings and with barbecued salmon, both of which combinations are making my mouth water.

And here, I must digress. The lovely Kay is not a red wine drinker. She likes wine. Any kind of wine, so long as it is a special harvest Riesling or anything else that I might use in place of pancake syrup. I prevailed on her to sample the three wines just as she was finishing her pizza. She tried the Rasmussen first. Her assessment: “I don’t know what you want me to tell you. It’s awful!” After trying the cheap s**t, her opinion of the Rasmussen changed slightly – she noted that it had a longer, fruitier finish. When she tried the Days Delight, her glowing praise was that it is “the least offensive” of the three. Different strokes for different folks…

As a final challenge, I tasted all three wines with chocolate. At Christmas time, I bought a set of wine-pairing chocolates from Cost Plus. One of the chocolates, a 61% cocoa solids semisweet chocolate, was suggested for pairing with Pinot Noir or Merlot. Here is where I found the most difference between the cheap s**t and the Rasmussen. Both actually went with this chocolate very nicely – the sweetness was a nice counterpoint to the acidity of the wine and the bitterness of the chocolate really complemented the astringency of the wine. The Rasmussen outshone the cheap s**t, though, in that it had a much fuller, rounder, more robust overall taste. The Days Delight, on the other hand, had diminished beyond non-descript to the point of approaching gustatory non-existence.

Well, so much for the sensory qualities. Now, on to the scoring. My mind is well-enough lubricated at this point that I feel I can really express myself. It’s just a matter of choosing the most appropriate rating scale to appropriately convey my experience to the rest of you. Rather than choosing just one scale, I have decided to rate these wines on several different scales. Please choose the one that speaks to you.

On the two-point “Y” scale, my first impression was that all three wines scored identically as “yum” (as opposed to “yuck”). In the end, though, after the pizza and chocolate tests, I find this scale inadequate to the situation. The cheap s**t and the Rasmussen clearly are entitled to identical “yum” scores. The Days Delight, while not a “yuck”, does not deserve a yum, so I’d have to break the rules and modify the scoring to give it a “yum minus”.

On the Internet 5 Star rating scale, the Days Delight scores a clear three stars – “It’s Ok.” The cheap s**t and the Rasmussen again earn identical scores of 5 stars – “I Love It.”

On the 20-point Real World Model (French Higher Education), the Days Delight scores an 11 – “passable,” while the cheap s**t and the Rasmussen again earn identical scores of 17 – “tres bien.”

On the 20-point UC Davis scale, the Days Delight scores a 9 – the lowest score that meets commercial acceptability. The cheap s**t is a 17 – the lowest score for wines of outstanding characteristics with no defects. The Rasmussen edges it out by scoring an 18.

On the 100-point Robert Parker scale, the Days Delight scores a 63 – a below average wine containing noticeable deficiencies. (And I was so hoping to give myself a better score. Sigh.) The cheap s**t scores 89 points – a very good wine, just missing true distinction. The Rasmussen scores 91 points – a truly outstanding wine.

Finally, if not most importantly the open-ended f***ing scale. This is a sliding scale with a potentially infinite number of gradations, as each score is unique but must include the adjective, “f***ing”. The Days Delight scores, “f***ing nondescript, with no particular f***ing character, but f***ing easy to chug down and get s**t-faced on.” The cheap s**t scores “a real f***ing surprise – extremely high QPR; I’m going to f***ing buy a f***ing case of this s**t while they still have it.” The Rasmussen scores, “this is the best f***ing Pinot Noir I have had – even a cheap bast**d like me would be willing to shell out to put a few bottles of this in the cellar. Of course, I’m not going to f***ing serve it to my clueless friends who don’t know Chardonnay from f***ing Cabernet!”

There it is, my friends, and ahead of schedule! Buy and enjoy!

edit: added content warning to link

DayOff53
my cellar

dayoff53

For the smart**s at Wine.Woot who commented that I would post before midnight "in what time zone", that would be in AMERICAN time!

DayOff53
my cellar

andyduncan

JR: KR PINOT IS IN THE BUILDING. WE ARE GO. IT'S TIME TO ANNOUNCE THE IDENTITY OF OUR MYSTERIOUS CONTENDER.

RC: That's right Joe, we're finally able to announce that our mysterious contender is fighting out of the Ramal Vineyard and has been training under Jeff Stewart at Buena Vista winery.

JR: QUITE FRANKLY I'M A LITTLE NONPLUSED. I WAS EXPECTING MAYBE A BIGGER NAME OR A CULT PINOT TO COMPARE IT AGAINST. I MEAN, THE BUENA VISTA IS GOOD AND ALL AND HAS GOOD QPR, BUT I HAVE TO ADMIT IT'S A BIT OF A LET DOWN. ISN'T THIS THE WINERY THAT RESORTED TO COSTUMED ACTORS TO SELL WINE? IT'S NOT EVEN THE SAME VINTAGE.

RC: I agree Joe, but I think what we have here is a case of the promoter having this bottle handy. And, since they both retail for exactly the same price, come from vineyards only a few miles from each other, and the two-dozen wooters from the RPM tour got to taste the ramal over the summer, it's probably not that bad of a comparison.

JR: WHATEVER, I'M SICK OF WAITING, LETS DO THIS!

RC: All right Bruce Buffer, give us your best impersonation of your father!

BB: IN THIS CORNER WE'VE GOT THE CARNIVORE FROM CARNEROS, THE 2006 KENT RASMUSSEN CARNEROS PINOT NOIR, AND IN THIS CORNER OUR MYSTERIOUS CONTENDER, FROM THE IT'S-NOT-JUST-A-SOCIAL-CLUB WINERY YOUR PARENTS THOUGHT MADE HOOCH, THE 2005 BUENA VISTA RAMAL VINEYARD PINOT NOIR. THE KENT RASMUSSEN PINOT COMES FROM IMPECCABLE UPBRINGING, WEST HOLLYWOOD DALLIANCES ASIDE, WHILE THE BUENA VISTA COMES FROM A NEW WINERY WITH AN OLD NAME. BOTH WINES RETAIL FOR $35 AND NEITHER HAVE AGREED TO TAKE PART IN THIS EXHIBITION, BUT SCREW IT, MY DAD'S RICH. GENTLEMEN, I WANT NO BITING, NO STRIKES TO THE GROIN, NO FISHOOKING, NO CORKING, NO GLASS BREAKING, AND MOST OF ALL NO SYRAH-IMPERSONATIONS. LLLLLLLLLETS GET READY TO SWISH-LE!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
dayoff53 wrote:(novel)

This is probably the best set of rat reports we've had to date. Nice job all around this week, WD.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

richc7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages richc7
dayoff53 wrote:Finally, if not most importantly the open-ended f***ing scale. This is a sliding scale with a potentially infinite number of gradations, as each score is unique but must include the adjective, “f***ing”. The Days Delight scores, “f***ing nondescript, with no particular f***ing character, but f***ing easy to chug down and get s**t-faced on.” The cheap s**t scores “a real f***ing surprise – extremely high QPR; I’m going to f***ing buy a f***ing case of this s**t while they still have it.” The Rasmussen scores, “this is the best f***ing Pinot Noir I have had – even a cheap bast**d like me would be willing to shell out to put a few bottles of this in the cellar. Of course, I’m not going to f***ing serve it to my clueless friends who don’t know Chardonnay from f***ing Cabernet!”

There it is, my friends, and ahead of schedule! Buy and enjoy!

Thanks for the great report and introducing me to the open-ended f***ing scale

dayoff53

cheron98 wrote:He's -always- entertaining. It's impossible to match his level of wit on these forums.

Ain't it the truth! I dreamed about lab-ratting; I sketched it out in my head months ago. Yet, when it happens, I'm up against the fight of the century and my ratings are in the toilet!

DayOff53
my cellar

auggie24

quality posts: 23 Private Messages auggie24
dayoff53 wrote:Of course, I’m not going to f***ing serve it to my clueless friends who don’t know Chardonnay from f***ing Cabernet!

So, what is the difference? ;)

dayoff53

Loweeel wrote:This is probably the best set of rat reports we've had to date. Nice job all around this week, WD.

Aw, shucks! (shuffle of feet) 'Tweren't nothin'. I'd do it anytime for a free bottle of grape.

DayOff53
my cellar