bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
mida i wrote:For this reason I am not waiting for the labrats. What are you going to do if the report comes in that this is like unsweetened cranberry juice right now? not buy it?. This could be bad timing to rat. This will need time in the bottle then hopefully be very nice. My first KR but won't get to enjoy for a few years, in for 1.

Surely it can (and most likely will get better) but I highly doubt that it would be anything short of awesome, today. I know I've found the 05 locally before - if I can find the 06 on the way home tonight I'll grab one and post.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
andyduncan wrote:One contender in transit. The other is in our office warming up and talking Gigli (2003).

It's going to be a battle Royale.

The other? Two labrat bottles in the same location? I call Shenanigans!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bhodilee wrote:Though, free the weasels isn't exactly the wisest thing to say to drunk people ya know?

At least it's not as blatant as say....free the lizards or free the beavers.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

I like to drink NOW, but ... I've read that right now it is unfair to rate these wines. They simply are NOT READY for consumption. Patience!

I am sad that I will have to wait. Maybe I can start filling up the Michigan cellar now ...

dakillawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakillawoot
koneco wrote:I like to drink NOW, but ... I've read that right now it is unfair to rate these wines. They simply are NOT READY for consumption. Patience!

I am sad that I will have to wait. Maybe I can start filling up the Michigan cellar now ...

Are you talking about the CellarTracker notes? Notice that those were entered in September and November of 2007.

koneco

dakillawoot wrote:Are you talking about the CellarTracker notes? Notice that those were entered in September and November of 2007.

>____>
<____<

DAMNIT. I was in for one. ... now am I in for two?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 231 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Tuba1060 wrote:My first in-for-two

I have a great love of Pinots, and these sounds just too good to pass up, especially with the signed bottles. Plus, I'll need something to celebrate with after midterms this week. Now my credit card is mad at me again though....

I must have missed the answer, but is it worth cellering a couple of these for a while? I've been told that Pinots don't age well after 3 or 4 years, but I don't know if that's correct or not.

As with all wines, cellaring potential varies widely. A lot of people assume Pinots may not have great aging potential because of lighter color and structure, but many of the better Burgundies and California Pinots can improve for a decade or longer in bottle. I had a bottle of 1977 Hanzell Pinot a few weeks ago that was amazing; I never would have guessed it was even ten years old by the color or amount of fruit. I'm confident this Pinot from an excellent vineyard, an excellent winemaker and excellent year will not only last but also improve well beyond 3-4 years from vintage.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

Alright, got some cash flow going, so I am in for one. Glad I grabbed it before a sell out.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

koneco

Not black yet.

Is there a way to update an order, or do I just suck it up and pay shipping twice?

billmort

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmort
rockdawg9 wrote:I'm having a hard time looking at the pile of styrofoam packing that results from these shipments. I know we're all trying to do our best to reduce our footprints on the planet while still enjoying life as best we can, and this waste has been bothering me.

I take the undamaged wine woot styrofoam in to my local mom & pop wine shop. They love to get them and they are put to good use for at least one additional cycle.

gijose

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gijose
koneco wrote:Not black yet.

Is there a way to update an order, or do I just suck it up and pay shipping twice?

you can contact customer service, but I believe you risk missing out if there's a sellout

NYC!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
KRWINE wrote:Our property in Carneros was originally planted in 1973. We bought it in 1979, which was the first year that it actually produced a commercial crop of grapes. I have made wine out of those grapes every year since (30 years in 2008!—life does speed by!). As to the question about vine life: vines, if taken care of will live a hundred-plus years. That said, over time the fruitfulness does decline. Commercially vineyard life is rated at 30 years, but there are many productive and viable vineyards in their 50s. I take meticulous care of our Estate vineyard and the result has been that the grapes just keep getting better and the fruitfulness has not gone down. I did replant about one third of it three years ago, figuring that I would do 1/3 each ten years and that way I can maintain the quality and production

I am quite interested in these vines and their management.

I'm going to speak in generalities here, as I'm sure that there are plenty of examples where this isn't the case. OK?

I think it's interesting how you plan on replanting some of the vines every 10 years or so. I believe some of the 2nd labels from some of the French wineries are from their younger vines, in some cases, vines less than 30 years old.

I'm curious, given how happy you are with the fruit, if you think the vines have more to give as they age, or if you think they've reached their peak, and that now's a good time to start replanting so you can keep getting good, consistent fruit?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
canonizer wrote:I'm not sure that means the foam is recycled, just that they'll take it away. Outtasighteouttamind.

No, there is a requirement (federal, state?) that landfill percentage of the waste stream fall below a certain percentage by a certain date. As a result, San Jose has one of the most aggressive recycling programs I have seen. Styrofoam, anything with any recycle symbol on it, milk cartons, cloth, newspaper, glass, used motor oil, metal (not sharp), yard waste, cardboard, corrigated cardboard, metal cans, plastic grocery bags....

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MTSUBlueRaider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MTSUBlueRaider

Tennessee Soon??????

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A proposal to allow Tennessee consumers to have wine shipped directly to their homes has been advanced to a full Senate vote.

The Senate State and Local Government Committee voted 6-1 on Tuesday in favor of the measure sponsored by Sen. Paul Stanley, a Germantown Republican.

Under Stanley's proposal, wineries that acquire a $300 license could ship up to 12 cases to Tennessee consumers per year.

Sen. Tim Burchett, a Knoxville Republican, cast the lone vote against the measure. He says he's worried that Tennessee regulators will have no way to enforce state laws on out-of-state wineries.

The House has yet to vote on the companion measure in the Local Government Subcommittee

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 76 Private Messages PetiteSirah
JOATMON wrote:No, there is a requirement (federal, state?) that landfill percentage of the waste stream fall below a certain percentage by a certain date. As a result, San Jose has one of the most aggressive recycling programs I have seen. Styrofoam, anything with any recycle symbol on it, milk cartons, cloth, newspaper, glass, used motor oil, metal (not sharp), yard waste, cardboard, corrigated cardboard, metal cans, plastic grocery bags....

There's a great episode of Penn & Teller's yak excrement on recycling. Absolutely hysterical what some people will save to recycle if you tell them that there's recycling for it.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
MTSUBlueRaider wrote:Tennessee Soon??????

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A proposal to allow Tennessee consumers to have wine shipped directly to their homes has been advanced to a full Senate vote.

The Senate State and Local Government Committee voted 6-1 on Tuesday in favor of the measure sponsored by Sen. Paul Stanley, a Germantown Republican.

Under Stanley's proposal, wineries that acquire a $300 license could ship up to 12 cases to Tennessee consumers per year.

Sen. Tim Burchett, a Knoxville Republican, cast the lone vote against the measure. He says he's worried that Tennessee regulators will have no way to enforce state laws on out-of-state wineries.

The House has yet to vote on the companion measure in the Local Government Subcommittee

That's awesome, but keep in mind, just because they pass it doesn't mean you'll be on woot next week. It will be up to the individual wineries on woot to obtain a license in that state before woot can ship it there. It'll be a slow process and some weeks you'll be on, some off, kinda like Georgia is now. That said, With Memphis and Nashville TN is a no brainer to spend 300 bucks to ship to.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MTSUBlueRaider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MTSUBlueRaider
bhodilee wrote:That's awesome, but keep in mind, just because they pass it doesn't mean you'll be on woot next week. It will be up to the individual wineries on woot to obtain a license in that state before woot can ship it there. It'll be a slow process and some weeks you'll be on, some off, kinda like Georgia is now. That said, With Memphis and Nashville TN is a no brainer to spend 300 bucks to ship to.

Here's hoping! I've been WAITING for my state to join up. But, even though it's passed the House doesn't mean it'll pass the Senate... :::sigh:::

diannap

quality posts: 7 Private Messages diannap

Waiting, Waiting...

Mar 24, 2009 8:15 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

My mother uses some of my discarded foam inserts as planters for our garden. Just my two cents on how to recycle the foam.

bhodilee

MTSUBlueRaider wrote:Here's hoping! I've been WAITING for my state to join up. But, even though it's passed the House doesn't mean it'll pass the Senate... :::sigh:::

Thats why you gotta get a unicameral. Takes all that guppy out of the equation. And leaves absolutely no check and no balance, but that is neither here nor there

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
MTSUBlueRaider wrote:Tennessee Soon??????

Good luck!

It's pretty bad when even Tennessee has more liberal wine laws than Montana does. Is this the Wild West or not?

I've been trying and failing to imagine what sort of state laws Tennessee would have that he's concerned about. Certainly not anything to do with health and safety. I'm sure for example that California regulations on wine production are more strict than you'd find anywhere else in the country.

koneco

I am sad I am the only person who finds that the styrofoam inserts in some of these packages look like pod racer engines. : (

Sad that we won't be racing them at the woot picnic.

kurtswa

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kurtswa
IdTapThatWine wrote:I tapped some Cambria Julia's Vineyard PN last weekend. I was floored! Everyone loved it at my grill party. It was gone in 60 seconds. Best PN for that price - $14.95 at LA Wine Co.

La Crema makes some nice Pinots that can typically be found in most grocery stores. Thse are generally around $20

dayoff53

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dayoff53

Holy Carp! I've been lab-ratted! SWMBO was gone when FedEx attempted delivery. They will try again tomorrow p.m., but that is too late, so I will go pick it up tonight. It will not be available until after 6:00 p.m. MDT (Boise).
I will definitely open it tonight and get a report in as soon as possible - expect a post before midnight...
... and thanx, Wine.Woot, you took a risk - gave me my shot. I know you'll regret it. (No that is not a typo).

DayOff53
my cellar

tampascl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tampascl

I'm in for THREE! Would love for this to be my very first labrat!!

bhodilee

tampascl wrote:I'm in for THREE! Would love for this to be my very first labrat!!

Gotta order by 10 a.m. of the first day of hte offering. You missed this one, but try again next time. Just remember to order before 10 a.m. on the first day of the offering

PetiteSirah

kurtswa wrote:La Crema makes some nice Pinots that can typically be found in most grocery stores. Thse are generally around $20

The FFC 2005 PN Reserve (Sonoma Coast) that we had on here close to 2 years ago (and then in a subsequent wootoff) is drinking really well right now. Last year it was all fruit, now there's a ton of earth as well. Great color and complexity, and a steal at the woot price (and also at the 6 for under $100 with free shipping on orders over $100 special they had in fall '07).

chefjef

quality posts: 10 Private Messages chefjef

venturing out of the safety of the blends for a bit, i'm thinking this would be a good time to get a Pinot Noir. Can someone talk to me about the tannins in a PN, and more specifically the tannins in this particular PN?

Thanks!

Jeff

I still have 4 bottles of Humbug resting gently in my cellar =)

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
bkarney wrote:Surely it can (and most likely will get better) but I highly doubt that it would be anything short of awesome, today. I know I've found the 05 locally before - if I can find the 06 on the way home tonight I'll grab one and post.

quite a few 06's are not ready for consumption. Even really big name "high scoring" producers are only showing an inkling of their potential. Heck, even the big fruity syrah like pinots are taking some time to come out of their shell to show real complexity. It might be fine to drink now, but I can't imagine anything short of awesome tho.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
chefjef wrote:venturing out of the safety of the blends for a bit, i'm thinking this would be a good time to get a Pinot Noir. Can someone talk to me about the tannins in a PN, and more specifically the tannins in this particular PN?

Thanks!

Jeff

Pinots can run the gamut from tight mouth gripping tannins from certain producers to light tannins that are there for structure. Someone with experience with this wine might have to answer your later question.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

RC: So what can you tell us about today's fight Joe Rogan?

JR: WELL IT'S A DUSY, WE DON'T USUALLY SEE THIS KIND OF CONTENTION FOR A NON TITLE FIGHT IN THE WELTERWEIGHT DIVISION

RC: Why are you yelling at me?

JR: IT'S PART OF MY PERSONA

RC: Um. Ok. So, who is this mystery contender for today's fight?

JR: WE'LL FIND OUT SOON ENOUGH, BUT RIGHT NOW YOU'VE GOT TO BE WONDERING WHAT'S GOING THROUGH THE HEAD OF THAT RASMUSSEN PINOT NOIR. I KNOW THIS KID'S GOT A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER GROWING UP WITH HIS "LITTLE" BROTHER PETIT SIRAH PICKING ON HIM ALL THE TIME AND LOCKING HIM IN THE FERMENTER, SO THIS KID IS NO WALLFLOWER, BUT STILL, HE'S GOT TO BE NERVOUS FACING AN UNNAMED CONTENDER. QUITE FRANKLY I'M SURPRISED HE AGREED TO THIS BOUT.

RC: Well, technically he didn't agree to it. This was a surprise for everyone, Pinot was just supposed to be down here for a media op, a little "meet and greet".

JR: WELL THERE'S NO TURNING BACK NOW. I WAS TALKING TO THE MYSTERY CONTENDER EARLIER TODAY AND HE'S FIRED UP. I DON'T THINK THIS ONES GOING TO MAKE IT TO DECISION.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
andyduncan wrote:
JR: WELL THERE'S NO TURNING BACK NOW. I WAS TALKING TO THE MYSTERY CONTENDER EARLIER TODAY AND HE'S FIRED UP. I DON'T THINK THIS ONES GOING TO MAKE IT TO DECISION.

Can't wait to read more...

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

dayoff53

Oboyoboyoboy! I’ve been lab-ratted. I finally get my chance to play with the big guys and actually speak with apparent and assumed authority in the Wine.Woot community. And, what’s more important, I get a free bottle of wine! I’m so excited, I can hardly hold my water! No, really. Someday you’ll be my age and you’ll know what I’m talking about. My tasting notes will be posted later tonight – this is a warm-up exercise and introduction.
Let’s start with a little biography, so you know a little about me and why I am eminently qualified to tell you whether a wine is any good. I was born in 1953 and raised a few miles from the nearest town – the thriving metropolis of New Meadows, Idaho (population 647 when I graduated high school in 1971). This link will put you within 1/4 mile of my ancestral home. Back when I was getting acquainted with the pleasures of intoxication, that was definitely beer country – no wine to be had. I could wax poetical on the finer points of Olympia, Lucky Lager and Coors, but couldn’t tell you the difference between a Chardonnay and a Cabernet. My first recollection of wine comes from my senior sneak (my entire graduating class of 13 snuck off – loosely chaperoned – to Boise for a 3-day bender), when I was introduce to the likes of Annie Green Springs, Ripple and MD 20/20.
In college (University of Idaho in Moscow), I graduated to Mateus Rosé (we Idahoans pronounced that “mat-e-us rose”) and the Chianti in the distinctive bottle with the straw wrapped around it. Then, it was on to Uncle Sam’s army, and back to beer. Hamm’s for $.25 right out of the vending machine in the barracks. Fast forward to 1984 and I was married (to my lovely bride of nearly 29 years now, Kay) and had just graduated from law school. For our fourth wedding anniversary we went to a fancy restaurant where, for the first time in my life, I spent more than $200 on a dinner for two (that was some serious bucks 25 years ago). The sommelier (big key on a chain around his neck) talked me into ordering a bottle of Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon – I don’t remember the vintage for certain, but 1979 is what sticks in my head. It was dry – dryer than any wine I had drunk to that point in my life – and had an astringency that made my tongue stick to the roof of my mouth. And it was good! Really f***ing good. (BTW, “f***ing” is the most useful and versatile adjective in the English language. I learned from my drill instructors in basic training that it can be used to emphasize nearly any aspect or condition of any noun and can even be inserted between syllables of other words to enhance their meaning.) I would gladly have embarked on a wine tasting and buying odyssey after that single experience but for four things – I was broke, my wife wouldn’t let me and we shortly had two kids (thing 3 and thing 4).
Fast forward another two decades. Things 3 and 4 are now out of the home and only sucking away about 25% of my income in college and other costly pursuits. Back to wine. I started going to some local wine-tasting classes with a couple friends and shortly started making wine from kits. At first, I thought the wines I made were nearly on a par with wines I tried at the tastings, but gradually started developing a more discerning palate and learning more words (usually used in conjunction with f***ing) to describe what I experienced in wines. With this growth came the realization that the wines I make range from mediocre (okay, one was really f***ing bad – it went down the drain) to passable, but there are some wines out there that can still bring the experience I had with that first Robert Mondavi Cabernet 25 years ago – really f***ing good.
So, how to describe the wines and rate them so as to convey the experience to another… That’s the trick, isn’t it? I could use the original 2-point “Y” scale (yuck or yum, nothing in between) that worked just fine in the 70’s, but that just won’t cut it with the worldly sophisticates who visit this forum (to say nothing of the obnoxious snobs – you know who you are). There are many wine rating scales available to choose from. Some of them are compared in a great PDF file that you can download at this site. Of course, only more-or-less formal scoring systems are compared there. More informal scoring systems can often convey as much or more useful information, and without making one appear so geeky. For instance, there’s the “f***ing” scale in which the only rule is that the most important of adjectives be used in the score. For instance, “really f***ing crappy with no redeeming virtues” or “so f***ing average that there is no real point”. You get the idea. For a more complete discussion on how to talk about wines, you might check out Novice Wine Blog.
But here’s the rub – my level of sophistication is just marginally above that of the 2-point “Y” scale. It certainly doesn’t approach the Robert Parker 100-point level of understanding. (And what is it with a 100-point scale that doesn’t use the first 49? Isn’t it really a 51-point scale). Frankly, I can’t honestly say I’m capable of a 20-point UC Davis level of understanding of wine. So, how am I going to describe what I see/smell/taste in this 2006 Rasmussen Pinot Noir? You just don’t know, do you. And neither do I. All I can say is, why would they make it and peddle it on Wine.Woot if it wasn’t going to be really, really good? I hope it is.

DayOff53
my cellar

bhodilee

dayoff53 wrote:good stuff

That was an awesome f****** prequel

dayoff53

bhodilee wrote:That was an awesome f****** prequel

Yeah, but was it a "quality post"? What the heck, I get paid by the word - quantity is what's important.

DayOff53
my cellar

PetiteSirah

clayfu wrote:Pinots can run the gamut from tight mouth gripping tannins from certain producers to light tannins that are there for structure. Someone with experience with this wine might have to answer your later question.

When we labratted the Roessler La Encantada (which I really liked), TMR said, "Of course you liked it. It's probably the most tannic pinot I've ever had!"

I kind of want to make a "Got Tannins?" shirt for next year's D&D.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
dayoff53 wrote:Yeah, but was it a "quality post"? What the heck, I get paid by the word - quantity is what's important.

Figure out how to get paid in wine, and you're all set. F****** awesome post.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

rooboy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rooboy
dayoff53 wrote:... quantity is what's important.

I try to tell my wife that, but she doesn't buy it!

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

JR: WE'RE STILL WAITING FOR THE KR PINOT TO ARRIVE BUT IN THE MEANTIME I'VE JUST BEEN HANDED SOME INFORMATION ON OUR MYSTERY CONTENDER. IT LOOKS LIKE THESE TWO GREW UP JUST ACROSS THE TRACKS FROM EACH OTHER.

RC: So the mystery contender is from Carneros as well eh?

JR: RANDY, THESE TWO GREW UP SO CLOSE THEY COULD SPIT ON EACH OTHER, AND I'M SURE THEY WOULD IF THEY WERE BOTH HERE RIGHT NOW.

RC: So where is Rassmussen?

JR: PROBABLY TROLLING WEST HOLLYWOOD FOR TRANNY HOOKERS. SOME OF THE BEST PINOTS TEND TO HAVE A WEIRD FETISH FOR POWER AND ELEGANCE, AND NOTHING MIXES BOTH OF THOSE QUITE LIKE A PUERTO RICAN DRAG QUEEN.

RC: I'm not quite sure what to say Joe, you seem to know a little more about that than I'm comfortable with.

JR: MY SHIRT IS TOO TIGHT

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

Holy guppy dude!

Ya know what I like about wine? People can talk about it for hours...long drawn out conversations about anything else would be ignored or tuned out, but if it's wine, blather on!

I am looking forward to your report.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007