zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice
KRWINE wrote:Well okay---you know I am both a bit long-in-the-tooth and from San Francisco if I say the Jefferson Airplane.

You're not the only one on this site with a little snow on the roof. The only other band from that era worth discussing was the Dead. You just put me over the edge. In for two!

Z

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

rockdawg9 wrote:This is rather off topic, and forgive me if it's been addressed before, but with the discussion on wind power I was thinking about shipping. I'm having a hard time looking at the pile of styrofoam packing that results from these shipments. I know we're all trying to do our best to reduce our footprints on the planet while still enjoying life as best we can, and this waste has been bothering me.

It seems to me that the cardboard packing is less wasteful than the styrofoam. The obvious downside is that the styrofoam is probably more secure as a packaging. But the two I've gotten in cardboard (Shadow Canyon and Mandolina) seemed to work out quite well, maybe because they were unusual packs.

Again, if this has been hashed out before, maybe somebody could direct me to the previous thread. If not, are there thoughts from the winemakers or WD on how they go about shipping wine and the waste that results from that?

One of the advantages of styro is that it serves multiple purposes. It has excellent shock-absorption and it's very light. Two things card-board does okay, but not as well. Where Styro packaging excels, especially in the extreme months, is temperature control.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco
rockdawg9 wrote:This is rather off topic, and forgive me if it's been addressed before, but with the discussion on wind power I was thinking about shipping. I'm having a hard time looking at the pile of styrofoam packing that results from these shipments. I know we're all trying to do our best to reduce our footprints on the planet while still enjoying life as best we can, and this waste has been bothering me.

It seems to me that the cardboard packing is less wasteful than the styrofoam. The obvious downside is that the styrofoam is probably more secure as a packaging. But the two I've gotten in cardboard (Shadow Canyon and Mandolina) seemed to work out quite well, maybe because they were unusual packs.

Again, if this has been hashed out before, maybe somebody could direct me to the previous thread. If not, are there thoughts from the winemakers or WD on how they go about shipping wine and the waste that results from that?

Oddly enough, I have an equally off-topic remark. I wanted to say how fascinated I am by the wine packaging. The Lupine offering was shipped in two two-bottle styrofoam packs, and the top halves look like ... pod racer engines!

We should race home-made pod racers across a pond or something. This would, of course, be at the annual wine.woot picnic. It can then be claimed that we reused the packaging! >:D

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
Corrado wrote:One of the advantages of styro is that it serves multiple purposes. It has excellent shock-absorption and it's very light. Two things card-board does okay, but not as well. Where Styro packaging excels, especially in the extreme months, is temperature control.

And it's reusable for checked baggage, moving housing situations, or sending wine to a friend, all of which cardboard embrangles at.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

So, I ordered two. If I want to order another, is there a way to add it?

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Loweeel wrote:And it's reusable for checked baggage, moving housing situations, or sending wine to a friend, all of which cardboard embrangles at.

...however, I get paid to recycle the carboard, but I pay to throw-away the uber-bulky styrofoam (which proceeds to loiter for quite some time in a landfill).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

smithelpaso

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smithelpaso

Just joined the black square club with this PN purchase. Must be getting serious or just hooked.

Missed your port offering, would like another try sometime.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
zmanonice wrote:If you were in Texas, I would trade you.

Z

Ya, I agree, if you were in OH I'd trade you but I'm not pouring anymore money into that Toothy. I really hope it gets better w/ more time in the bottle.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
zmanonice wrote:The only other band from that era worth discussing was the Dead. Z

I actually get to see The Dead over 4th of July weekend in MI. Of course Jerry wont be there but it will be interesting to see them none the less.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
zmanonice wrote:You're not the only one on this site with a little snow on the roof. The only other band from that era worth discussing was the Dead. You just put me over the edge. In for two!

Z

Well, snow on the roof cuts the glare. Better than, well, just roof ...

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
gcdyersb wrote:What are the pros and cons of stem inclusion?

I read KR's detailed reply to this post, but I can't help chuckling again over a related comment in one of Peter Wellington's ramblings, wherein he told of asking one of his Spanish-speaking employees the Spanish word for stems and the response was "basura" (which loosely translates as rubbish).

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:Well, snow on the roof cuts the glare. Better than, well, just roof ...

Hey! Be nice!

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

kc8501

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kc8501
spdrcr05 wrote:Like Norton? snicker... I crack myself up typing that!

Actually... VA has acceptable wine... but they've gotten a little full of themselves with their pricing of late. I find the QPR of VA wines to be lacking in the extreme.

Ok, so judging by the responses to the VA wine question, they have a bad rep. I'm not a big "wine aficionado" I just drink what I like and I've had as many yucky wines from CA as here. But I will say this, some of my absolute favs are from local vineyards in central Va.

Also, did you mean Horton instead of Norton? If so, I will say this, I LOVE many of their wines, so I guess it's simply a matter of opinion.

And for the ignorant what exactly is QPR?

ddeuddeg

Loweeel wrote:And it's reusable for checked baggage, moving housing situations, or sending wine to a friend, all of which cardboard embrangles at.

Actually, we brought a case of wine home from the rpm tour last summer, packed in cardboard, and it made it home just fine. One of the fellow tour-ists had commented prior to the trip that the airline baggage handlers treat it no worse than the UPS guys.

meshachw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages meshachw

This is a great and simple read. Thanks Kent!!!

KRWINE wrote:Hi

A question about SO2 is always interesting to answer.

Sulfur dioxide has been almost as integral to winemaking as are grapes for several thousand years now. In the last couple of decades its use has become (very) slightly controversial largely due to issues with SO2 use outside of the wine industry.

SO2 plays two vital rolls in winemaking. 1. It inhibits bacterial growth that can give wines off flavors (like acetic acid bacteria which produce vinegar) during the fermentation and storage period. 2. It scavenges oxygen from the wine both during aging and in the bottle.

The first of the two above reasons can be mitigated by paying close attention to sanitation in the cellar, by filtering and just generally by being compulsive. The ability of Sulfur Dioxide to scavenge up extra oxygen (wine’s great enemy) is vital to making fine wines, and no effective replacement has ever been found. To expand on this a bit-- After fermentation wine gets stored in barrels, tanks etc. During this period of storage the winemaker must make absolutely certain that all containers are absolutely full (to the tablespoon), but that said, it is almost impossible to do that---wine in tanks expands and contracts, wine in barrels evaporates thru the wood etc. Also, each time the wine is moved (racked) from one container to another it is almost impossible to avoid oxygen pickup. And, of course once the wine is in the bottle there is a slight amount of oxygen going thru the cork. What SO2 does is to pick up these miscellaneous molecules of oxygen and bind them so that they cannot hurt the flavor of the wine.

Sulfur Dioxide is a major mucous membrane irritant and some people are very allergic to it, however it would be only the rarest of people who are affected by the miniscule quantities that we use in the wine industry. (That said, if you are super-sensitive to SO2 you should be aware of wine and lots of other foods that contain some SO2.) The whole controversy to do with SO2 came about back in the 1970s when salad bars became popular. The problem was that restaurants washed their lettuce in water that had some SO2 in it to make the lettuce look fresh in the salad bar (same deal---oxygen is part of what makes lettuce look wilted). This in itself was not an issue---but the next step of putting acidic (vinegar etc.) salad dressing on the lettuce changed the pH of the environment and caused the relatively inoffensive SO2 in liquid form on the lettuce to suddenly flash off as a gas right into the face of the salad-eater. Thus, a little issue became a big problem—because if you are sensitive to SO2, a blast of it in your face is certain to get you. End of story is that SO2 use became a big issue----but it still has not been replaced in most of the food industry because is it still the best thing for its job (and after all it has been used in food processing since at least the Greek times, if not before). Nowdays we do understand the science of it better and make a huge effort to use the absolute minimum amount possible.

Sorry, long story. Let me finish by saying that yes, there are a few wineries around the world that make a business of making wines with no added SO2 (yeast actually do produce some SO2 naturally during fermentation). It is a huge amount of extra work to make wine this way—keeping all the air out of the wine, and the success is varied. I have had an occasional good red, but I have yet to have a white that was up to snuff. Problem is; all of the wines would have been much better with the tiniest amount of SO2.

Lastly, in general wines should have a “Free SO2” (at bottling) of about 32 parts per million or less and a “Total SO2” of less than about 150 ppm. There are legal limits, but they are much higher than this. “Free” is the active form of SO2 that is working to protect the wine from oxidation. “Bound SO2” is the formerly “Free” that has been bound up after doing its work of protection. “Total” is the sum of the two.

Enough on this topic.

Kent

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." - Ancient Chinese Proverb

"We are all born naked and screaming and if you're lucky that sort of thing won't stop there." -unknown

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
kc8501 wrote:
Also, did you mean Horton instead of Norton? If so, I will say this, I LOVE many of their wines, so I guess it's simply a matter of opinion.

And for the ignorant what exactly is QPR?

Norton as in the grape, which is to VA wine what Labrusca (aka Concord) is to NY Wine

QPR is Quality Price Ratio- cheap wines aren't a good deal if they're no good, and expensive wines can be a good value if they are particularly good.

beefytee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beefytee

I have a question about wine.woot in general. Are bottles always 750ml unless otherwise noted? Most of the bottles look like 1.5's to me.

kc8501

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kc8501
mother wrote:Norton as in the grape, which is to VA wine what Labrusca (aka Concord) is to NY Wine

QPR is Quality Price Ratio- cheap wines aren't a good deal if they're no good, and expensive wines can be a good value if they are particularly good.

Ahhh. Thank you Mother. :-P

ddeuddeg

richardhod wrote:So, I ordered two. If I want to order another, is there a way to add it?

Order a gift for someone you trust, say a friend who lives in Apartment 2 at your address.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Corrado wrote:...however, I get paid to recycle the carboard, but I pay to throw-away the uber-bulky styrofoam (which proceeds to loiter for quite some time in a landfill).

So then I'm the only one with a styrofoam fort in their basement? I use the cardboard inserts for windows. I'm gonna start a pirate ship next I think.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

order successfully increased, Woot! Thanks Kent & WD for this killer offering

In regard to the toothy, throw my name on the list of people looking for more - in FL... I haz $$$ and wine, just saying.

CT

bhodilee

beefytee wrote:I have a question about wine.woot in general. Are bottles always 750ml unless otherwise noted? Most of the bottles look like 1.5's to me.

Yes, 750's unless otherwise noted. It's a pretty rare occurrence to see magnums around here, though it does happen.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

jcastagno

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcastagno
bhodilee wrote:So then I'm the only one with a styrofoam fort in their basement? I use the cardboard inserts for windows. I'm gonna start a pirate ship next I think.

Well no basements here in Florida, but we have been duct taping them together in case we need flotation devices in the upcoming hurricane season... keep those styro cartons coming... its the only way i can convince the wife to let me keep wooting!!

bkarney

jcastagno wrote:Well no basements here in Florida, but we have been duct taping them together in case we need flotation devices in the upcoming hurricane season... keep those styro cartons coming... its the only way i can convince the wife to let me keep wooting!!

I like your take on it!
Being a fellow Floridian, the styro & ice packs are the only things (other than the reefer truck of course) that give the wine a fighting chance during summer heat. No styro & ice packs = no wine, not worth the chance... and I really want the wine. 2 cents

CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Corrado wrote:...however, I get paid to recycle the carboard, but I pay to throw-away the uber-bulky styrofoam (which proceeds to loiter for quite some time in a landfill).

Here in San Jose, we can recycle styrofoam; styrofoam is allowed in our recycle bins.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
JOATMON wrote:Here in San Jose, we can recycle styrofoam; styrofoam is allowed in our recycle bins.

I'm not sure that means the foam is recycled, just that they'll take it away. Outtasighteouttamind.

signed.

yermej

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yermej
richardhod wrote:So, I ordered two. If I want to order another, is there a way to add it?

I think you can email service@woot.com with your order number and a request to increase your order. They may or may not reply and they may or may not increase your order, but it's worked in the past.

beefytee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beefytee
bhodilee wrote:Yes, 750's unless otherwise noted. It's a pretty rare occurrence to see magnums around here, though it does happen.

coolio, thank you

iceman4123ca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iceman4123ca
zmanonice wrote:If you were in Texas, I would trade you.

Z

Spoke to one of my local wine reps last week. It seems that the Block 13 is now an exclusive wine for Mortons Steak House. They'll probably be selling it upwards of $50.00.

Luckily I was able to obtain 3 cases from him before this happened. Unfortunately it came with a steep price, almost $17.00 a bottle. I should've wooted more but missed the second lot that was up for sale.

Hope the PN is as good as it sounds. Waiting to hear the labrat report. Love the pinot!!!

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
kc8501 wrote:Ok, so judging by the responses to the VA wine question, they have a bad rep. I'm not a big "wine aficionado" I just drink what I like and I've had as many yucky wines from CA as here. But I will say this, some of my absolute favs are from local vineyards in central Va.

I think you are misinterpreting what's been said. Virginia wineries can make some pretty good wines, but they charge more than folks here think they are worth.

Since Wine.Woot! exists to make good to excellent wines available at great prices, Virginia wineries may not be willing to offer their wines up at a price point that fits the Woot! model.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah
bhodilee wrote:So then I'm the only one with a styrofoam fort in their basement? I use the cardboard inserts for windows. I'm gonna start a pirate ship next I think.

Nah. What do you think HAK's "condo" and its "furniture" are made from?

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

bhodilee

PetiteSirah wrote:Nah. What do you think HAK's "condo" and its "furniture" is made from?

well, it'd be well insulated. In fact concrete homes use styrofoam molds to set the concrete and act as insulation. Course it's an entirely different formulation, but still, it can be done.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

About the styrofoam packages, I have a pretty unique solution with these, I take all my boxes and inserts and ketchup packs to my buddy who has a local winery (Tularosa Vineyards, hi Chris!) and he then gives me wine. Best. Solution. Ever.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

mida i

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mida i
clayfu wrote:I think a good chunk of Pinots in California have the structure and fruit to age 3-4 years at the least. Some might be over manipulated to the point that there might not be much of a benefit and might actually drop off at year 4. You also have to look at vintage. TO me 2006 has been a slow to come around vintage and requires more time in bottle.

For this reason I am not waiting for the labrats. What are you going to do if the report comes in that this is like unsweetened cranberry juice right now? not buy it?. This could be bad timing to rat. This will need time in the bottle then hopefully be very nice. My first KR but won't get to enjoy for a few years, in for 1.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

I don't think anyone has asked yet:

Kent, which Pinot Noir clones do you grow in your vineyard? Are there specific qualities that prompted you to choose these clones?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Scott Harvey, as well as Kent & Peter Wellington (SonomaBouliste), hold a special place in our Wine.Wooter hearts. They all give more than terrific wine to us ... they give us knowledge and love of wine and of themselves. Thank you to each of them!!!!

Happy Birthday to Scott Harvey & to Lucidgrrl (Java's sis, who's busy with wedding plans)!!!

And Happy Pre-Birthday to MichelleShari (March 26th)!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
Mar 24, 2009 7:44 AM - On FedEx vehicle for delivery - MARINA DEL REY, CA

One contender in transit. The other is in our office warming up and talking Gigli (2003).

It's going to be a battle Royale.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
PetiteSirah wrote:Nah. What do you think HAK's "condo" and its "furniture" are made from?

Hey, you beat me to it. I was going to comment that I got an abundant supply of "racks" of styrofoam in my condo. Though I can probably made a guest bed in the second bedroom out of it. Hmmm, now there's an idea!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bkarney

paryb wrote:About the styrofoam packages, I have a pretty unique solution with these, I take all my boxes and inserts and ketchup packs to my buddy who has a local winery (Tularosa Vineyards, hi Chris!) and he then gives me wine. Best. Solution. Ever.

free the weasels! unfortunately, most of us can only be jealous of your arrangement!

Edit: hmm, another new filter - I can dig it

CT

bhodilee

bkarney wrote:free the weasels! unfortunately, most of us can only be jealous of your arrangement!

Edit: hmm, another new filter - I can dig it

Though, free the weasels isn't exactly the wisest thing to say to drunk people ya know?