kurtswa

quality posts: 14 Private Messages kurtswa

I apologize if this has already been asked before but is it possible when placing a woot order to put in signature not required?
I have a new UPS driver in our area and he will not leave the shipments. The facility where I have to go pick up is not exactly close to my house. Very bothersome especially knowing my wine is being jostled around for days on end in a UPS truck.

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219
kurtswa wrote:I apologize if this has already been asked before but is it possible when placing a woot order to put in signature not required?
I have a new UPS driver in our area and he will not leave the shipments. The facility where I have to go pick up is not exactly close to my house. Very bothersome especially knowing my wine is being jostled around for days on end in a UPS truck.

Nope. That's why I ship to work.

dakillawoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dakillawoot
kurtswa wrote:I apologize if this has already been asked before but is it possible when placing a woot order to put in signature not required?

It's alcohol, they have to have someone OVER 21 YEARS OLD sign for it. You know, the whole no booze for kids thing.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
gcdyersb wrote:At least with Alma Rosa vs. Volk and Cambria, the vineyard sites are pretty different. Alma Rosa's wines are probably a little heavier, tighter and earthier because they're grown in the cool, windy Santa Rita Hills AVA in diatomaceous earth. Volk and Cambria utilize Santa Maria vineyards, which aren't in quite an extreme climate and have different soil, I think. Alma Rosa's winemaker is French; I suspect he may influence the style.

Alma Rosa is a big ol peppery ripe fruity wine isn't it? It's been awhile since I last had the 05.

kurtswa

aces219 wrote:Nope. That's why I ship to work.

My company does not allow us to send personal shipments here to work. Corporate America for you. So unfortunately not an option for me.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
kurtswa wrote:My company does not allow us to send personal shipments here to work. Corporate America for you. So unfortunately not an option for me.

A UPS box should take care of ya ($25 bucks a month or something like that), they'll sign for your shipments and keep them nice and safe till you get around. I know a few people on here us them (OctoCat?).

CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
tenoreprimo wrote:How would the KR PN compare with the Roesler PNs offered recently? I bought a number of them and wonder if I need another 3 PN.

I haven't opened any of my single vineyard Roesllers yet so I can't compare to those, but compared to the "color labelled" Roesllers the KR was less fruity and bright, less candied (though the roesllers weren't super candied), more earthy, more pencil shavings/cedar/graphite type flavors, and a bit more substantial without being "bigger". as the wine opened up more of the fruit came forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if this wine opened up at got more floral as the years go by.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

kurtswa

dakillawoot wrote:It's alcohol, they have to have someone OVER 21 YEARS OLD sign for it. You know, the whole no booze for kids thing.

Anyone know if UPS can keep your signature on file as being an adult so that they don't need it every time a package is delivered?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
kurtswa wrote:Anyone know if UPS can keep your signature on file as being an adult so that they don't need it every time a package is delivered?

No can do. Try bribing the driver. Throw him a bottle of wine every once in a while.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bkarney wrote:A UPS box should take care of ya ($25 bucks a month or something like that), they'll sign for your shipments and keep them nice and safe till you get around. I know a few people on here us them (OctoCat?).

Yeah, that's what I use. They do allow shipments to work here, but they frown on the alcoholic ones, and they also frown on the frequency with which I get shipments It's totally worth the $25/month for me. So much better than wasting my time driving down to the warehouse. Not to mention knowing that it's not going to be sitting around on a truck all day and then having to call them and tell them to hold it so I can go get it, since you have to wait for the first delivery attempt before calling them to hold it. Plus the UPS store is fairly climate controlled, so if stuff comes in while I'm out of town or I can't get to it for a day or two, no biggies. It's not gonna cook or freeze on me. And you don't need to get "the big box". Just get the smallest size they have. I think the cost varies by location, as well as notification services - mine doesn't notify me if I have a package that arrived, but I think Sparky(?) has one and his place does notify him. Worth looking into, for sure.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
andyduncan wrote:I haven't opened any of my single vineyard Roesllers yet so I can't compare to those, but compared to the "color labelled" Roesllers the KR was less fruity and bright, less candied (though the roesllers weren't super candied), more earthy, more pencil shavings/cedar/graphite type flavors, and a bit more substantial without being "bigger". as the wine opened up more of the fruit came forward, so I wouldn't be surprised if this wine opened up at got more floral as the years go by.

Gigli (2003). I should have gotten just one of the other, and 2 of Kent's. Oh, well... live and learn.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury
bkarney wrote:A UPS box should take care of ya ($25 bucks a month or something like that), they'll sign for your shipments and keep them nice and safe till you get around. I know a few people on here us them (OctoCat?).

We use one. It's a real blessing.

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
kylemittskus wrote:No can do. Try bribing the driver. Throw him a bottle of wine every once in a while.

Mine doesn't drink wine. I have to use Crown Royal. Still worth the effort. On those HOT Texas summer days, my wine shows up nice n early in the morning when it's still (relatively) cool.

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
eric9tx wrote:Gigli (2003). I should have gotten just one of the other, and 2 of Kent's. Oh, well... live and learn.

Live, learn, and e-mail service@woot.com to try to bump up your order. Or cough up the extra five bucks and gift yourself some.

Or, do what I did, and make pencilthief add a third order to his set.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

The UPS Store. Formerly Mail Boxes Etc. I have everything ship there, and they notify me through email when a package is received.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL
kylemittskus wrote:No can do. Try bribing the driver. Throw him a bottle of wine every once in a while.

Yeah, that's what I do and I rarely have a problem. Even when there is a substitute driver the regular driver queues him/her in beforehand so they know the drill.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Kent's wines are always good. I need some Pinot, especially well made lower alcohol wines like Kent's. I'm in. Want to also thank everyone for all the wonderful birthday greetings.

Scott has gone black! NICE!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kurtswa

thanks peeps
Fyi- I just called my local UPS Store. They charge $30/month for a personal box. That is a little steep for the amount of wine I get per month. Well, actually maybe not as of late. Lol.

They did also tell me if it is just for a handful of things per month that they charge $5 per box. So I think I am going to go that route.
They do not notify me when something arrives so I just have to keep an eye on the tracking.

Just fyi

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
aces219 wrote:Yeah, about that. We had that Wellington merlot over the weekend, and it was nothing like a cab, and nothing like the red dot wine that I remember tasting. And I have a good tasting memory. So maybe you and I are right and the dots are wrong! At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I think I have a bottle of the red dot (or maybe it's orange or pink) I can bring to next Vegas if y'all want a chance to redeem y'allselves

CT

dayoff53

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dayoff53

I tried bribing the driver first time - left a 10-spot with a nice note asking him to leave it around the side. He left a nice note saying he couldn't do it. Took the 10-spot, though...

DayOff53
my cellar

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Yeah, that's what I use. They do allow shipments to work here, but they frown on the alcoholic ones, and they also frown on the frequency with which I get shipments It's totally worth the $25/month for me. So much better than wasting my time driving down to the warehouse. Not to mention knowing that it's not going to be sitting around on a truck all day and then having to call them and tell them to hold it so I can go get it, since you have to wait for the first delivery attempt before calling them to hold it. Plus the UPS store is fairly climate controlled, so if stuff comes in while I'm out of town or I can't get to it for a day or two, no biggies. It's not gonna cook or freeze on me. And you don't need to get "the big box". Just get the smallest size they have. I think the cost varies by location, as well as notification services - mine doesn't notify me if I have a package that arrived, but I think Sparky(?) has one and his place does notify him. Worth looking into, for sure.

They used to have to call me, but now they have the email & text message notification. Works very nicely.

And they usually have some coupon discount thing for a new box. As well as discounts if you pay for 6 months or 12 in advance.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tenoreprimo wrote:How would the KR PN compare with the Roesler PNs offered recently? I bought a number of them and wonder if I need another 3 PN.

These are the PN's you are looking for .... "

Sorry, couldn't resist. Haven't opened my Roessler's, but have yet to be disappointed by one of Kent's wines.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bryanjmatthews

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bryanjmatthews

Does anyone have any experience with aerators? I would like a faster option than decanting, if it works. If an aerator is a good option, can anyone suggest a good deal. I have looked at the Venturi at Wineenthusiast.com.

dayoff53

So, I'm home from work; just spent a half-hour on the eliptical and I've worked up a thirst. I haven't consumed anything minty in hours and I rinsed out my piehole with some fresh, cool, bottled water. Since you skinflints haven't yet bought up all this wonderful juice, I figure I have time for one more comment.

The bottle of Rasmussen was opened 22 hours ago now, but it has had a cork in it for 18 of those hours. When I pour a slug, the fruit immediately wafts out of the glass - redolent of cherries, currents and dark berries. There's also turned earth in the background - kind of a clay-like thing, but not in a bad way. My nose doesn't usually pick up on the herbal kinds of things, nor so much on the floral. Anyway, unlike this morning (when it was clearly me that was off), this really smells good.

The color is still crystal-sharp ruby red, with a light ring around the glass. In my mouth, I don't get near as much sour as I did last night. The first impression is definitely fruit, echoing what went up the snoot. Then, it hits pretty hard with the tannins on the back sides of the tongue. It slowly fades over more than 20 seconds, with the last bit reminding me of ... the skin of a red delicious apple? Make of it what you will, that's what I got.

Better now than ever. The moral of this story is, don't drink good wine in the morning and, whatever you do, don't brush with mint toothpaste first.

Wow! Just took a big gulp to empty the glass. It seemed wasteful, but it was really good, covering all the surfaces of the palate and tongue at the same time. Very complex - lots of stuff going on all at once. I still don't get funky, mushroomy stuff, though. (And don't want to, I might add.)

Now, just to finish what I started, I'm going to try a little of the cheap s**t, too. You'll forgive me, I'm sure, if I admire my Days Delight label (NSFW!) while I drink, and don't actually bother tasting it again...

This Stephen Vincent 2006 Sonoma County Pinot Noir also still looks very nice. Still lighter than the Rasmussen, and with a broader light edge. I still get strawberries in the smell, with almost a musty hay/straw smell in the background. Definitely something going on here besides fruit. The flavor of this one also held up very well - it, too is less sharp and acidic on the tongue. It fills the mouth with interesting and complex flavor sensations as well, but definitely not as "ripe" as the Rasmussen. Like fruit picked a day too early. Pie cherries... The finish is a little shorter, but still lingers for quite a while.

Okay, my impressions haven't really changed. Both of these wines are excellent. The Rasmussen is 2 or 3 points better on my version of a 100-point scale. This is in the quality range where 2 or 3 points can translate into a bunch of bucks. I'm glad I got the Rasmussen - I wish I had gone in for 2 instead of 1. After all, I didn't ask permission and the lovely Kay would have likely forgiven me the $145 almost as easily as the $75. I'm still going to go back to Bueno Cheapo Vino and get some more of that cheap s**t!

Oh! Cheron, I apologize. They let me labrat. They aren't likely to make that mistake again. I had to make the experience last. You're great!

DayOff53
my cellar

davirom

quality posts: 10 Private Messages davirom
bryanjmatthews wrote:Does anyone have any experience with aerators? I would like a faster option than decanting, if it works. If an aerator is a good option, can anyone suggest a good deal. I have looked at the Venturi at Wineenthusiast.com.

I was given an Aerating Wine Globe as a gift. It does the job, but to my taste, there is something not quite right about the aerated wine, i.e, it tastes different than allowing the wine to breathe. I still use it if I'm in a hurry and have a wine with pronounced alcohol or brutal tannins. I have not tried to find one at a reseller.

Edit: I did a google search on "Aerating Wine Globe" and found a single unit for about $17. Seems they are intended as business promotions. . .

dayoff53

Hey, just out of curiosity, where did Kent go? All these amateurs making comments about your baby and you have no rejoinders? I'm curious what you think of the pretty general feeling that this will be better in two or three years. Is that your expectation? Are we reading it wrong? Should I keep this in the cellar for a while like I plan, or would I enjoy it more before year's end? What prior vintage was most like this one and how did it age?
I could come up with questions all day...

DayOff53
my cellar

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

In for 1..Loved the KR 3 pack last time...!

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
tenuki wrote:I think I have a bottle of the red dot (or maybe it's orange or pink) I can bring to next Vegas if y'all want a chance to redeem y'allselves

The Cab is under 14% alc. and the other wines are all over 14%, and all carried legal labels.

chad1323ross

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chad1323ross

Oh man. I really can't afford two wine.woots this week. I'm interested in this wine, but currently have quite a bit of PN in stock. I know it's KR and all, and that it's bound to be fantastic. But... Any clues on what tomorrow may bring? If it's not wine, I'm certainly in on this right now. If it's going to be KRPS, I'm holding off!

222 bottles and counting.

dayoff53

chad1323ross wrote:Oh man. I really can't afford two wine.woots this week. I'm interested in this wine, but currently have quite a bit of PN in stock. I know it's KR and all, and that it's bound to be fantastic. But... Any clues on what tomorrow may bring? If it's not wine, I'm certainly in on this right now. If it's going to be KRPS, I'm holding off!

Oh, man! How can you even say that? I don't have a single bottle of PS in my cellar and desperately want some, yet there is no way I can get away with two woots this week. Please, I want the KR PS, but not just yet! Give me a week or two to build up the wine fund.

DayOff53
my cellar

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
bryanjmatthews wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with aerators? I would like a faster option than decanting, if it works. If an aerator is a good option, can anyone suggest a good deal. I have looked at the Venturi at Wineenthusiast.com.

I got a Venturi for Christmas and we've played with it a fair bit. For the cheap stuff it does seem to help. For better wines we prefer to open them, decant, and sample over time as we prepare the evening's meal.

If you have the money to spare I recommend getting one, but they aren't the final word on aerating wine.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
SonomaBouliste wrote:The Cab is under 14% alc. and the other wines are all over 14%, and all carried legal labels.

Cool, I'll check when I get a chance and hopefully remember to put a sticky on it.

chad1323ross wrote:Oh man. I really can't afford two wine.woots this week... Any clues on what tomorrow may bring? If it's not wine, I'm certainly in on this right now. If it's going to be KRPS, I'm holding off!

dayoff53 wrote:Oh, man! How can you even say that? I don't have a single bottle of PS in my cellar and desperately want some, yet there is no way I can get away with two woots this week. Please, I want the KR PS, but not just yet! Give me a week or two to build up the wine fund.

Rumors of wootoff and thus probably a couple detours. I might consider myself lucky if I only go in for two offers this week :P

CT

iccrew98

quality posts: 8 Private Messages iccrew98
IUnknown wrote:Well I'm in for 2 even though I've run out of storage space.

Remember, storage space is all what you make of it. Sure, those nice, round or rectangular spaces just large enough for a bottle could be deemed "space". But, if you're creative and pretend they're easter eggs and your hiding them to find at a later date, you'll have endless locations. Just think how much you'll feel like a kid again when you open up that winter clothing storage bin next winter and find a nice bottle of PN snuggled in with the hats and gloves. What's that in my old tool box?

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm like the squirrel I just saw tearing up my flowers outside. I "hide" wine all over the house now due to the lack of storage. And I, much like a squirrel, forget where it is until I stumble upon it at a later date. Maybe I should add the column into my wine list of "hiding location".

From I.T. to wine. My transition, my learning and my new life.
winejosh.com
twitter /winejosh
"The toughest part about going back to school for wine is knowing you wasted all that drinking the first time around."

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
iByron wrote:Wow, so the PA state stores have this for $35.99/750ml.

So this is effectively buy two get one free for me, plus one would be signed.

BUT, I'd still have to have it delivered somewhere distant as this won't even ship to my cellar in NJ.

Decisions decisions.

Will Kent Rasmussen be at the Philadelphia Wine Festival in May?

iByron

Because I'm sure NONE of the your NoVa/DC tasting friends would wootleg this for you! Heck I might even bring ALL your bottles to the next tasting. :p

EDIT: check PMs if you decide you want to do this

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

Cesare

quality posts: 1644 Private Messages Cesare
spdrcr05 wrote:Because I'm sure NONE of the your NoVa/DC tasting friends would wootleg this for you! Heck I might even bring ALL your bottles to the next tasting. :p

EDIT: check PMs if you decide you want to do this

Already taken care of. iB has nyc friends too.. he goes both ways :P

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
dayoff53 wrote:Oh! Cheron, I apologize.

No apologies needed I'll get this one put in the pack too!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

spdrcr05

Cesare wrote:Already taken care of. iB has nyc friends too.. he goes both ways :P

No worries! Just glad he got the hook up. And I keep meaning to make it up for one of the NYC events as well but life keeps intervening.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

iccrew98

quality posts: 8 Private Messages iccrew98

Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: diannap
Speed to first woot: 0m 7.813s
Last wooter to woot: iccrew98

Since I'm a little light on the PN, I might as well jump in again. Plus, the 437+ posts provided a little nudge.....

From I.T. to wine. My transition, my learning and my new life.
winejosh.com
twitter /winejosh
"The toughest part about going back to school for wine is knowing you wasted all that drinking the first time around."

spdrcr05

WD... how's about a clue for those of us who purchased early?

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
spdrcr05 wrote:WD... how's about a clue for those of us who purchased early?

it ain't wine. it's small, but at least we found one.

WD