kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
cheron98 wrote:Oh, some local stuff here. Hiller's, Market Village...

Hm. I want to hunt down some G Joy.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:Hm. I want to hunt down some G Joy.

Hiller's has that. Hiller's has pretty much the whole line. It's freaky like that.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

alljoed

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alljoed

Sakeguy,

I have two questions for you.

First one: I have a friend who wanted to try sake, so I got a bottle of pearl at the local store and had her try some but after only one sip she said it was not sweet enough. I think she has been spoiled by uber sweet mixed drinks and as such I need to think of a good road map to wean her into something like sake. Any ideas on what route I should take on this?

Second question: This goes slightly with the first question. I've done a bit of reading on infusing sake and wanted to try it for parties or other fun occasions for sake virgins who might be put off fron the first taste like my friend was. What combinations would you suggest for me to try and what is the best way to do it?

Thanks!

sakeknome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sakeknome

Labrat report to follow....Coconut Lemongrass....had to haul a** to Fedex to pick it up and then onward to our local Thai restaurant....chilling....back soon.

fredv

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredv

Said previously that I was in for 3, but order only went to 2. Anyone know why? I scanned the previous pages but missed it if this was already answered.

Now I have to decide if I tell my friend to join and get her own or share and only have 1 for myself.

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:Hiller's has that. Hiller's has pretty much the whole line. It's freaky like that.

No Hiller's in my hood.

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury
kylemittskus wrote:Hm. I want to hunt down some G Joy.

I think we found ours at BevMo, if you have one nearby.

kylemittskus

annsalisbury wrote:I think we found ours at BevMo, if you have one nearby.

I do, like one minute away. Nice!!!

sakeknome

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sakeknome

Moonstone Coconut Lemongrass:

Poured (chilled and well shaken) into both wine glasses and saké "shot" glasses. Dunno why but maybe some folks prefer one to the other.

Appearance was light chalky/cloudy with some residue upon swirling. Nose was full of creamy coconut, hint of vanilla and juicy fruit gum (this coming from the owner/chef of the Thai restaurant we're at)

Did the shots first (isn't that always the case!) Alcohol noticeable but not burning 18%. Good finish...tasting more like the fruit popsicles I had back in the days..

Moved on to the wine glass tasting, this with our appetizer of spicy thai fried tofu with peanut dipping sauce...must say all of us at the table (3 + owner) agreed that this saké definitely drinks better from a wine glass. The coconut was more gentle and subdued and you could also make out the hint of lemon on the finish. We skipped the soup to avoid burning my tounge again! In it's place, we refilled our glasses.

We had panang beef (a rich red creamy curry) and fried catfish filet with black peppercorns as our pairing with the saké. I was hesitant about the overly richness of the curry on the saké but no worries, it (saké) held its own for sure. The flavors felt fuller and finish was definitely longer, maybe due to the curry(?) [Did not have the same finish with the catfish.]

After draini...er, tasting the second glass, the overall consensus was that this saké would pair better with spicier foods and may even work with a jalapeño beef burger!

Apologies for this late post for you east coast wooters....work got in the way.

Footnote : All through dinner, we had the bottle chilling in an ice bucket and found it worked best shaken prior to filling each glass as the contents settle pretty fast.

Thank you WD for the awesome opportunity!

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
fredv wrote:Said previously that I was in for 3, but order only went to 2. Anyone know why? I scanned the previous pages but missed it if this was already answered.

Now I have to decide if I tell my friend to join and get her own or share and only have 1 for myself.

When there's this many bottles being offered together, the limit is usually (always?) two.

An option that allows you to still share is to create a second account for your dog/cat/hamster/bedroom slipper and order more through it. Just make sure the address is slightly different, say by adding a non-existent apartment number.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
yumitori wrote:When there's this many bottles being offered together, the limit is usually (always?) two.

An option that allows you to still share is to create a second account for your dog/cat/hamster/bedroom slipper and order more through it. Just make sure the address is slightly different, say by adding a non-existent apartment number.

Cupboard under the Stairs, 4 Privet Drive

CT

jhiller

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhiller

Labrat confessions have sold me on it.
Thanks for the informative reviews.

kylemittskus

tenuki wrote:Cupboard under the Stairs, 4 Privet Drive

schmickle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages schmickle

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm bummed that I can't take part in this offer, but hopefully your application will allow me to partake in the next one!

Sakeguy2 wrote:The word on Georgia.

Our direct ship application is in process but not complete. No answer back from the state office as to when. Our apologies that we can't ship this woot but watch our website for the update soon.

cheron98

So jennykao - got the notes on that Junmai Ginjo?

dherbie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dherbie

for those interested, good article on pinot noir in NYtimes today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/11/dining/11pour.html?8dpc

...now back to sake...

An economist is someone who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today - Lawrence J. Peter
For those of you who laughed at the above quote: www.wine-economics.org

cheron98

the rest of the rats have been packed.

Still missing the "official" rat for the Nigori. Not that I think we need it, given SakeGuy's compelling speeches and thrawn's awesome report on it.

kylemittskus

cheron98 wrote:the rest of the rats have been packed.

Still missing the "official" rat for the Nigori. Not that I think we need it, given SakeGuy's compelling speeches and thrawn's awesome report on it.

It's the principle I tell you. The principle.

Sakeguy2

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Nigoris often a good entry point for non saké drinkers but it is such a leap from wine and cocktails that some people don't react well as their palate goes into shock. Funny how when our palate doesn't recognize a flavor for what the brain thinks it should be, it goes a bit nuts.

To bring the non saké person into the fold, you may try the Momokawa Organic Ginjo, its a bit sweeter, fruitier and overall and easy brew to enjoy. For the person who can't get past the notion of hot saké and therefore has a palate block, try jumping in with our Moonstone Plum and then easing them to Asian Pear before slipping the the Organic Ginjo or Momokawa Diamond. Plum is like the white zin of saké, the old school sweet kind.

Infusions are a lot of fun to do and you can experiment with your favorite flavors. The trick is finding the balance of fruit, herb and/or vegetable and then carefully watching the timing. Simply cut up your ingredients, put them in a jar or pitcher and add saké. Then taste in an hour, two hours and if flavor is close be careful to taste frequently until its right. This may be a one hour or a 24 hour infusion. Time and balance.

My favorites are pineapple (simply cut up the pineapple and put in jar with saké), fresh black berry, watermelon, cucumber. A friend of ours in NY infuses with rosemary, strawberries, pears, and just about anything. He says the trick is in finding the balance of ingredients and then time.

[quote postid="3053308" user="alljoed"]Sakeguy,

I have two questions for you.

Sakeguy2

Great notes and thank you for exploring the little cups vs. wine glass. Good to read an unbiased opinion. Wish I'd been at dinner.

[quote postid="3053397" user="sakeknome"]Moonstone Coconut Lemongrass:

Sakeguy2

OK, come on. Any fence sitters here, any saké neophytes afraid to jump in, this is working towards last call. Today is it. From what I say a new offer begins tomorrow and then you're back to full retail pricing. And, it may be quite a while til we woot again.

Come on, all in. If anyone still fears the saké bottle speak up now and let us know why. We will help you cross over to the other side.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
Sakeguy2 wrote:OK, come on. Any fence sitters here, any saké neophytes afraid to jump in, this is working towards last call. Today is it. From what I say a new offer begins tomorrow and then you're back to full retail pricing. And, it may be quite a while til we woot again.

Come on, all in. If anyone still fears the saké bottle speak up now and let us know why. We will help you cross over to the other side.

Want to know why I'm not in?

I was in on the previous two offerings. To date, I have opened up exactly zero bottles from those offerings.

At that rate, I have enough Sake to last me roughly forever.

I'll try to get to my bottles soon, but quite frankly I don't need any more bottles taking up space.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Too early for a clue?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

Toffeeking

quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
JOATMON wrote:Want to know why I'm not in?

I was in on the previous two offerings. To date, I have opened up exactly zero bottles from those offerings.

I'll try to get to my bottles soon, but quite frankly I don't need any more bottles taking up space.

Sake/Toffee trade out? No chocolate or no alomonds?

jennykao76

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jennykao76

And finally my notes... computer got a bug so sneaking a few comments in from work today. Tried the Organic Ginjo Junmai last night - i was very pleased with it and am definitely looking forward to my order arriving. It comes across to my relatively inexperienced palate as: crisp, clean - there is a spicy kick but still rather smooth. It didn't taste sweet or have any kind of floral aroma to me - clean is still the best i can come up with to describe it. You can usually find me with a bottle of the asian pear flavor in the fridge and if you expect the slightly sweet flavor of that or the coconut lemongrass you will be caught off-guard. My husband travels to Japan several times a year and always brings back a nice $30-$40 bottle of sake for me and I can say with confidence that the Junmai does rival those bottles. Like someone was saying earlier sake is a 3-sip taste - never judge on the first taste - it becomes much smoother with the second and third tastes. I felt it left very little after-taste and would pair well with almost anything. I had it last night with a cajun sausage and rice dish. Hope this helps some. I have to say for the ones not sure about sake - it is worth a try - i kicked myself for missing the last offering!

maddprofessor

quality posts: 5 Private Messages maddprofessor

So last night I made up a sakètini. (or at least I don't know of it's existance) My brother brought home a gallon of peppermint syrup from Chick-fil-a that is left over from their holiday milkshakes. It's not the usual burn your eyes peppermint but more candy like or something. I had a peppermint martini before with some actual mix and decided to try to make one but it was missing something. I added some of my Murai Family Nigori Genshu and it was great.

Approx recipe:

2oz vodka
2oz nigori
1oz peppermint syrup

Shake with ice

Sakeguy2

Um, going back to an ealier post....don't age your saké. Drink it. Pop a bottle tonight and enjoy. Pop one in a week and enjoy. Drain that supply before it gets old (12 months or so from bottling. You may already need some fresh saké.

JOATMON wrote:Want to know why I'm not in?

malveaux

quality posts: 3 Private Messages malveaux

Labrat report for Organic Nigori - Junmai Ginjo

Okay, I warn everyone upfront that I am not a wine connoisseur. I'm primarily a beer drink but have had the good fortune to taste the cheap sake in hotel minibars and convenience stores in Tokyo, decent stuff at various Japanese restaurants, and the truly amazing stuff from jumping on every one of the previous woot sake offerings.

Okay, I saw in an earlier forum that it is best to let the sake settle for a while and then let it sit once removing it from the refrigerator to bring the temperature up to slightly chilled. Since I wanted to create the recommended conditions, I waited a day before trying to let it settle. Of course, I felt ridiculous when I saw that the bottle said 'Shake Well' making the settling issue kind of mute. In 24 hours, there was a inch of clear sake at the top of the bottle so it did settle somewhat, just in case anyone happens to be curious.

The color is quite milky. The first whiff is a very pleasant fruity rice smell. Specifically, it is a orange scent that seems a bit out of place given the white color of the sake. Mmmm! the first sip is striking in how silky smooth it is. Goes around and down without a fight. Only the slight taste of alcohol at all while going down with a stronger alcohol feel in the aftertaste. The texture of the sake is so nice that the flavor is nearly an afterthought. So what is the flavor? It's a tad complex and tough to quantify. You can identify the rice base, there is kind of a coconut taste but you wonder if it is a trick of your brain based on the color, and I guess alcohol is in the mix but it doesn't immediately stand out as it is woven into the other flavors. The sake leaves behind a thin coating on both the glass and the tongue. Definitely, tasty in a subtle, even sneaky way.

I am a simple person and know what I like. I definitely like this sake. It comes across as a complex drink that is a pleasant change from the normal rotation of beer, red wine and whiskey (based on the hazards of the particular day). As far as pairing goes, I recommend it with a home viewing of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. In place of, instead of with, popcorn.

annsalisbury

Sakeguy2 wrote:Infusions are a lot of fun to do and you can experiment with your favorite flavors. The trick is finding the balance of fruit, herb and/or vegetable and then carefully watching the timing. Simply cut up your ingredients, put them in a jar or pitcher and add saké. Then taste in an hour, two hours and if flavor is close be careful to taste frequently until its right. This may be a one hour or a 24 hour infusion. Time and balance.

My favorites are pineapple (simply cut up the pineapple and put in jar with saké), fresh black berry, watermelon, cucumber. A friend of ours in NY infuses with rosemary, strawberries, pears, and just about anything. He says the trick is in finding the balance of ingredients and then time.

Well, there ya go. I don't actually need SakeOne to make a yuzu sake for me.

FYI - Sake2Me make a yuzu beverage.

Sakeguy2

Have you tasted the Saké2Me?

annsalisbury wrote:Well, there ya go. I don't actually need SakeOne to make a yuzu sake for me.

FYI - Sake2Me make a yuzu beverage.

Sakeguy2

I just love that some of you get bottles to review and post notes on. We couldn't have written it better. Thank you for a thorough tasting and review. I may quote you later.

[quote postid="3054545" user="malveaux"]Labrat report for Organic Nigori - Junmai Ginjo

annsalisbury

Sakeguy2 wrote:Have you tasted the Saké2Me?

Yes, and that is why I referred to it as a "beverage" and not "sake."

necyclone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages necyclone

I know its a bit late to ask... I purchased the Sake One last time but Nebraska is NOT listed for this offering. Misprint or have we been dropped?

Sakeguy2

Nope, no Nebraska shipping license. Last time was an error on our part. Lucky you.

necyclone wrote:I know its a bit late to ask... I purchased the Sake One last time but Nebraska is NOT listed for this offering. Misprint or have we been dropped?

thrawn1020

quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
malveaux wrote:Labrat report for Organic Nigori - Junmai Ginjo

Okay, I warn everyone upfront that I am not a wine connoisseur. I'm primarily a beer drink but have had the good fortune to taste the cheap sake in hotel minibars and convenience stores in Tokyo, decent stuff at various Japanese restaurants, and the truly amazing stuff from jumping on every one of the previous woot sake offerings.

Okay, I saw in an earlier forum that it is best to let the sake settle for a while and then let it sit once removing it from the refrigerator to bring the temperature up to slightly chilled. Since I wanted to create the recommended conditions, I waited a day before trying to let it settle. Of course, I felt ridiculous when I saw that the bottle said 'Shake Well' making the settling issue kind of mute. In 24 hours, there was a inch of clear sake at the top of the bottle so it did settle somewhat, just in case anyone happens to be curious.

The color is quite milky. The first whiff is a very pleasant fruity rice smell. Specifically, it is a orange scent that seems a bit out of place given the white color of the sake. Mmmm! the first sip is striking in how silky smooth it is. Goes around and down without a fight. Only the slight taste of alcohol at all while going down with a stronger alcohol feel in the aftertaste. The texture of the sake is so nice that the flavor is nearly an afterthought. So what is the flavor? It's a tad complex and tough to quantify. You can identify the rice base, there is kind of a coconut taste but you wonder if it is a trick of your brain based on the color, and I guess alcohol is in the mix but it doesn't immediately stand out as it is woven into the other flavors. The sake leaves behind a thin coating on both the glass and the tongue. Definitely, tasty in a subtle, even sneaky way.

I am a simple person and know what I like. I definitely like this sake. It comes across as a complex drink that is a pleasant change from the normal rotation of beer, red wine and whiskey (based on the hazards of the particular day). As far as pairing goes, I recommend it with a home viewing of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. In place of, instead of with, popcorn.

I meant a few minutes out of a cold fridge! Sorry if that was unclear. Say 45 degrees or maybe a hair higher.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

Sakeguy2

Wearing down. Quiet on the woot front. In case I don't check in again.....THANK YOU! Thank you all for another stellar saké woot. For your time, your ideas, notes, kind words, etc. Its been a great pleasure, as always.

Sakeguy2

And, please, don't forget to come and visit us when you are in the Portland area. Watch for us at the Joy of Saké this Fall in NY and SF. Come out for one of our summer concerts, classes, sakétini saturday. Visit our website in a few months for changes and a refreshed look. Visit www.tsubakisake.com, www.muramurasake.com, www.tomboshochu.com and www.peacefulriversake.com

Most importantly, enjoy saké, the good stuff. And share your new finds with friends. Help in the long battle of changing perceptions, shaping thoughts and getting saké into everyone's hands and mouths. Go forth good people, and enjoy.

sam9539

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sam9539

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

I have been going to the same sushi bar for the last four years and the owner was always there. Going to present him with a bottle of the coconut/lemongrass as a gift. In for uno!

Bonzai!!!

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38
sam9539 wrote:

Now that's funny!