bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Toffeeking wrote:Yeah, LOVE the G, but i'm on the fence because of the lemongrass sake...can't get myself over...yet.



It's good actually but more as a dessert drink. I know that you probably have a hard time finding a good dessert option though. Oh, and I have to file a complaint. You have KILLED cracker jack and caramel corn forever for me. Everytime I have it I'm like, Brandini should totally come up with some kind of toffee corn. Then I get sad and can't eat the popcorn.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

jennykao76


quality posts: 3 Private Messages jennykao76

the coconut lemongrass is great - it's nigori I think, (unfiltered) so cloudy. Reminds me of coconut milk to some extent. It is very refreshing - love it with some spicy thai food.

myrlin


quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin

The lemongrass coconut seems like it would be a perfect fit inside of a thai iced tea. Saying that, does anyone have a recipe or at least know what kind of tea is most commonly used in thai iced tea?

009 Big ol' Cornucopia
untold billions of dollars on other carp

Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Moto-i is the first saké brewpub in America. It's the brainchild of Blake Richardson who also owns the Herkimer brewpub. He produces a few different saké to serve fresh, on tap. They are all currently Nama saké which is unpasteurized. Blake actually spent time with our sakemaster, Greg Lorenz and with friends in Japan to learn saké brewing. He sources his rice, koji and yeasts from us. Great guy, fun, fresh, dynamic saké. Check out Moto-i but don't look for it in a bottle.

myrlin wrote:SakeGuy - I was in Minnesota last winter with parents who had never drank much sake until I brought some of yours along from the last woot offering to go with our shabu shabu dinner (slightly Americanized). They loved it so much that they told me about a new sake "brewery" called Moto-I (http://www.moto-i.com/) that had just opened up that they thought i would like to try.

The sake they had there was fairly good (not like the Joy G good), the food was very good, but it was very new and they had not even started bottling it yet. I anticipate this place being able to produce some good stuff down the road.

Have you tried theirs before or know anything of the process? I would be curious to know your thoughts on the American competition.



airomy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages airomy

I'm trying to set my sake misconceptions aside and give it a shot. I actually read imbibe magazine's article on sake a couple months back (http://www.imbibemag.com/Zen-and-the-Art-of-Sake) and was ready to give it a try, and I was thinking it would be nice if wine.woot would have another sake one offering. And here you are, with one of their "top 8 to try," (the Organic Nigori). This was either lucky coincidence for me, or planned strategy for SakeOne.

Either way, I'm excited to try it!
Cheers!

koneco


quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

Sakeguy!

Are you bringing any sort of Sake One events to New Hampshire anytime soon? I'd definitely pay a visit, maybe learn a thing or two.


jonstrib


quality posts: 14 Private Messages jonstrib

sakeguy: thanks for the continued participation and willingness to discuss your product(s) and sake in general. i have purchased each of your offerings (and the only one i upped my order to two for one of them), including this one and have enjoyed them all (asian pear and G being the favs to date).

someone mentioned drinking sake apres (spring) sking-great idea, except the snow is rapidly disappearing in at least my part of WNY. got me to thinking about grilling out though in may/june and wondering whether this order or the prior one will be good pairings with grilled fish (any particulars-tuna, swordfish-sorry-, salmon, etc.) or even some meat/poultry (if it works for pizza...) and any particular matches? thanks!

alljoed


quality posts: 1 Private Messages alljoed

Sakeguy, you're lucky my tax return came today.

In for one. ;-)

Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Imbibe is a great magazine! We've supported it from the firs day out and really believe their team delives a superior beverage publication. They are all just great people with a mission.

That saké article was very nice and there are several nods to our team from other industry expets. It was an honor to be included.

Keeping reading Imbibe and if you don't get it now, get it soon.

airomy wrote:I'm trying to set my sake misconceptions aside and give it a shot. I actually read imbibe magazine's article on sake a couple months back (http://www.imbibemag.com/Zen-and-the-Art-of-Sake) and was ready to give it a try, and I was thinking it would be nice if wine.woot would have another sake one offering. And here you are, with one of their "top 8 to try," (the Organic Nigori). This was either lucky coincidence for me, or planned strategy for SakeOne.

Either way, I'm excited to try it!
Cheers!



Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

No plans in the near future but we are looking for ways to get the word to more people. Stay tuned.

koneco wrote:Sakeguy!

Are you bringing any sort of Sake One events to New Hampshire anytime soon? I'd definitely pay a visit, maybe learn a thing or two.



Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Grilling. That would be me last night while snow was falling. Needed some grilled carne asada for tacos and put that up against the Momokawa Organic Nigori. Mmmmmmmm.

Salmon is always a winner with saké. The Japanese name for salmon is saké. So you can have grilled saké with your chilled organic Ginjo saké. It would do well with Ahi, Mahi Mahi, and other rich meats. Use saké as a marinade as well, same fish, or chicken and pork.

Try poaching halibut, cod or sole in the Organic Nigori or the Coconut Lemongrass.

Try adding a few tablespoons of Coconut Lemongrass to rice when you start to cook it. The aromas alone will create a wonderful twist on rice.

Reduce the Organic Nigori and bake salmon, cod or other soft meat fish in it. Pour a little miso over it and enjoy.

jonstrib wrote: got me to thinking about grilling out though in may/june and wondering whether this order or the prior one will be good pairings with grilled fish (any particulars-tuna, swordfish-sorry-, salmon, etc.) or even some meat/poultry (if it works for pizza...) and any particular matches? thanks!



Toffeeking


quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
bhodilee wrote:It's good actually but more as a dessert drink. I know that you probably have a hard time finding a good dessert option though. Oh, and I have to file a complaint. You have KILLED cracker jack and caramel corn forever for me. Everytime I have it I'm like, Brandini should totally come up with some kind of toffee corn. Then I get sad and can't eat the popcorn.



We have one, but have not developed the packaging yet, no capital. If I didn't spend so much $.$$ on wine.woot it would probably help.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Toffeeking wrote:We have one, but have not developed the packaging yet, no capital. If I didn't spend so much $.$$ on wine.woot it would probably help.



that makes me so happy, and I think that needs to qualify for stimulus money

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Woody1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages Woody1

Sakééééééééééééééé!

me sé no Saké fu u!

I still have Q-Spot sitting around making little rice muffins.

Saké bad -> Bourbon good

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Try this simple cocktail with the Coconut Lemongrass

Laughing Cricket

3 oz. Moonstone Coconut Lemongrass
1 oz. premium Vodka
1/2 oz. Monin Vanilla Syrup

Place all ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake like a Sumo.

Enjoy

Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Bourbon? Sure if you don't care about the easy groove you get from one of the most pure beverages on the planet.

Consider this. Saké has no sulfites, no glucose, its low on acids and Dr. Andrew Wile says it doesn't give you a hang over. Not so sure about the hangover part but if the country's leading homeopathic doc says so, I gotta think there is something to it.

Oh, and since six of this offering is organic, you can leave out any residual pesticides or fertilizers.


Woody1 wrote:Sakééééééééééééééé!

me sé no Saké fu u!

I still have Q-Spot sitting around making little rice muffins.

Saké bad -> Bourbon good



myrlin


quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin
Sakeguy2 wrote:Moto-i is the first saké brewpub in America. It's the brainchild of Blake Richardson who also owns the Herkimer brewpub. He produces a few different saké to serve fresh, on tap. They are all currently Nama saké which is unpasteurized. Blake actually spent time with our sakemaster, Greg Lorenz and with friends in Japan to learn saké brewing. He sources his rice, koji and yeasts from us. Great guy, fun, fresh, dynamic saké. Check out Moto-i but don't look for it in a bottle.



OH, thats really cool. Thanks for the info.

009 Big ol' Cornucopia
untold billions of dollars on other carp

Woody1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages Woody1

Sadly woot put in the Q instead of the "G", but arguing about rice water is frivoluos to say the least. No flavor, no substance and Dr. Wyle Cyote say ACME logic is flawed.

Let’s be real for a minute. If you drink this stuff because you are a health nut, or are constantly checking labels, then you missed the whole concept of alcohol rots the brain speech and you drink for superfulous reasons.

Whatever your rational, and flavor not being one of them Miyagi, at least let Daniel-son be happy?

Sakeguy2 wrote:Bourbon? Sure if you don't care about the easy groove you get from one of the most pure beverages on the planet.

Consider this. Saké has no sulfites, no glucose, its low on acids and Dr. Andrew Wile says it doesn't give you a hang over. Not so sure about the hangover part but if the country's leading homeopathic doc says so, I gotta think there is something to it.

Oh, and since six of this offering is organic, you can leave out any residual pesticides or fertilizers.



Sadly woot put in the Q instead of the "G", but arguing about rice water is frivoluos to say the least. No flavor, no substance and Dr. Wyle Cyote says ACME is flawed.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

fredv


quality posts: 1 Private Messages fredv

Have seen many questions about the coconut lemongrass and I have to say it is one of my faves. I love a small glass after dinner or after work. I don't think it is too sweet, but the flavors do take away some of the alcohol burn of many sakes. I also love the Nigori for the same reason. Guess I prefer the "cloudy" sakes. I'm in for 3, a friend is always telling me to order for her when there is a sake woot, so 2 for her and 1 for me.

Oh, also sorry to see no G, that is the best of all!

koneco


quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

Not a fan of the Lemongrass, but now it is reminding me of coconut shrimp....

Anyone have a good recipe which can be made to incorporate the Moonstuff?

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Sakeguy2 wrote:Grilling. That would be me last night while snow was falling. Needed some grilled carne asada for tacos and put that up against the Momokawa Organic Nigori. Mmmmmmmm.

Salmon is always a winner with saké. The Japanese name for salmon is saké. So you can have grilled saké with your chilled organic Ginjo saké. It would do well with Ahi, Mahi Mahi, and other rich meats. Use saké as a marinade as well, same fish, or chicken and pork.

Try poaching halibut, cod or sole in the Organic Nigori or the Coconut Lemongrass.

Try adding a few tablespoons of Coconut Lemongrass to rice when you start to cook it. The aromas alone will create a wonderful twist on rice.

Reduce the Organic Nigori and bake salmon, cod or other soft meat fish in it. Pour a little miso over it and enjoy.



...things like this make me regret reading this thread...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:that makes me so happy, and I think that needs to qualify for stimulus money



Here's an idea... another Brandini offer on w.w to help boost their capital! Yeah!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
Toffeeking wrote:We have one, but have not developed the packaging yet, no capital. If I didn't spend so much $.$$ on wine.woot it would probably help.



Paper bags, a sharpie, and sell it here then take that money and develop the frivolous collateral!

jonstrib


quality posts: 14 Private Messages jonstrib
Sakeguy2 wrote:Salmon is always a winner with saké. It would do well with Ahi, Mahi Mahi, and other rich meats. Use saké as a marinade as well, same fish, or chicken and pork.

Try poaching halibut, cod or sole in the Organic Nigori or the Coconut Lemongrass.

Try adding a few tablespoons of Coconut Lemongrass to rice when you start to cook it. The aromas alone will create a wonderful twist on rice.

Reduce the Organic Nigori and bake salmon, cod or other soft meat fish in it. Pour a little miso over it and enjoy.



excellent ideas, sakeguy-much appreciated. the sakeone offerings have been so good to savor on their own we haven't thought about using it as a marinade! suggestions like this may move some holdouts like cheron98...

Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

So that post must have put you in for two? Three?

cheron98 wrote:...things like this make me regret reading this thread...



Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

And I forgot one more very good use. The bath.

Yep, pour a bottle in your bathtub and soak away the day's stress of waiting for your shipment. Our founder, who now kicks it on a sunny Hawaiian beach, preached the gospel of saké baths. Some thought this to be nuts but research has shown that saké actually is good for your skin and bathing in it can help circulation. There are many bath products with saké and an increasing number of spas use it for baths and massages.

A study out of Japan showed that saké reverses the effects of UV rays. Pretty amazing. Someone noticed that saké brewer's hands looked thirty years younger than their age shuld allow. So, tests were run and guess what, the young hands were found to be the result of years of their hands in......(drum roll please) saké.

But of course I have to note that this is not supported by the USDA or other entities than the Japanese brewers, scientists, government, people. What do they know?

jonstrib wrote:excellent ideas, sakeguy-much appreciated. the sakeone offerings have been so good to savor on their own we haven't thought about using it as a marinade! suggestions like this may move some holdouts like cheron98...



mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
Sakeguy2 wrote:And I forgot one more very good use. The bath.



I'm so going to visit the Kura for a bath now. What a great offer to extend!

Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Uh, I guess we better get a tub and fast. Ok, you might want to do this at home.

mother wrote:I'm so going to visit the Kura for a bath now. What a great offer to extend!



thrawn1020


quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020
Sakeguy2 wrote:And I forgot one more very good use. The bath.

Yep, pour a bottle in your bathtub and soak away the day's stress of waiting for your shipment. Our founder, who now kicks it on a sunny Hawaiian beach, preached the gospel of saké baths. Some thought this to be nuts but research has shown that saké actually is good for your skin and bathing in it can help circulation. There are many bath products with saké and an increasing number of spas use it for baths and massages.

A study out of Japan showed that saké reverses the effects of UV rays. Pretty amazing. Someone noticed that saké brewer's hands looked thirty years younger than their age shuld allow. So, tests were run and guess what, the young hands were found to be the result of years of their hands in......(drum roll please) saké.

But of course I have to note that this is not supported by the USDA or other entities than the Japanese brewers, scientists, government, people. What do they know?



Alcohol is a natural preservative! jeje. On the Sake cocktail plus unofficial rat note, the Organic Nigori is chilling, the Simple Syrup is also chilling, and I have almost all of the other ingredients necessary. Now to make a run to the store for Vanilla Rum, and then hopefully I can get cracking! Will taste the Organic Nigori first, then mix the cocktail after. Notes to follow.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

Wow, I finally was able to go back and read all the kind words that got this woot started. Thank you very much. Wayyy too kind.

Looks like we have but one more day to get it done. Onward!

kylemittskus wrote:I was right, although it was not hard.

SakeGuy, here are some nice things the kids were saying about you in preparation of your return:



Sakeguy2


quality posts: 29 Private Messages Sakeguy2

I had a funny thing happen on the way to the....

Actually it was kind of funny. I was the Chicago Gourmet show in the park last summer and I had no less than five people tell me they were either woot customers of ours or they were excited because they were tasting the last woot deal before their friend, who ordered it, opened their bottles.

I have met some of you in NY, New Orleans, SF, LA, Vegas, and here at our Kura. We are truly honored to be part of the woot community. It is a real treat to be able to meet some of you in person.

Time for a drive in the country to home. It is a night for saké in the tub.

More tomorrow. Line up the questions. And, line up your friends to get in before we close this offer later tomorrow night.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Sakeguy2 wrote:So that post must have put you in for two? Three?



Told you I was ready for you this time Nope, I'm still holding out here. Although as I was wandering through the wine aisle at the grocery store on my way home from work, I picked up at least three different bottles of SakeOne stuff. Looked at them, and put them back

I want to like sake. I do. I can't help my palate!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Toffeeking


quality posts: 36 Private Messages Toffeeking
mother wrote:Paper bags, a sharpie, and sell it here then take that money and develop the frivolous collateral!



If we put the Poppers into a paper bag, some of the wooters may mistake it for a Bustin' out chainsaws!

Going in for one, as I need something to clear my head after being inZINerated all weekend.

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
Toffeeking wrote:If we put the Poppers into a paper bag, some of the wooters may mistake it for a Bustin' out chainsaws!

Going in for one, as I need something to clear my head after being inZINerated all weekend.


Sigh... If you actually called it that, you'd sell even more- but only and I mean ONLY here.


psmurf


quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
Toffeeking wrote:If we put the Poppers into a paper bag, some of the wooters may mistake it for a Bustin' out chainsaws!

Going in for one, as I need something to clear my head after being inZINerated all weekend.



My InZinerators are scheduled to arrive Thursday... so I'll be in the same boat("inZINerated") this weekend.
If GA was on this offering's shipping list I'd have to try some good SakéOne. The last time it was offered(no GA shipping) I had to try Sake, but the local stuff was flavorless and dull.
~wonders how it pairs with your toffee? ... probably not very compatible~

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
psmurf wrote:My InZinerators are scheduled to arrive Thursday... so I'll be in the same boat("inZINerated") this weekend.
If GA was on this offering's shipping list I'd have to try some good SakéOne. The last time it was offered(no GA shipping) I had to try Sake, but the local stuff was flavorless and dull.
~wonders how it pairs with your toffee? ... probably not very compatible~



I would venture that the Nigori is quite compatible, actually...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

kylemittskus


quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
cheron98 wrote: Although as I was wandering through the wine aisle at the grocery store on my way home from work, I picked up at least three different bottles of SakeOne stuff. Looked at them, and put them back



What store carries this stuff?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

thrawn1020


quality posts: 23 Private Messages thrawn1020

Hmm. The Organic Nigori is definitely heavy on the palate, heavier than the G. Pretty creamy, with some sweetness beyond the initial creaminess. After that, the flavors yield to a little acidity and spice on the finish. I taste the roundness that the rice imparts. Something about rice and sake, they always seem to finish well. If you haven't had any premium sake, I would say you should give this a shot. SakeOne offerings really have defined what premium sake, heck, what sake is period for me. With that said, there is some spiciness on the nose, and when the sake is real cold, e.g. just out of the fridge, I can smell the alcohol. There is almost a peated barley component for me, it is reminding me a little bit of when I drink scotch. That is on the nose, not the palate. It is certainly not overbearing, but then again, I like the peat, so your mileage may vary. Even so, I remember it being rather similar to the Organic Junmai Ginjo that is the other part of the offering. Being fair, I had not had any sake at that point.

All I can say about the cocktail is that the balance is off. It ended up being about 5 ounces of liquid at the end, but I couldn't taste the sake in there at all. If this is one of those things where you need a real subtle vanilla flavor from the rum, then I think I can safely say it isn't going to be worth the time. I am pretty sure I could replicate the flavor in the cocktail without the sake, unfortunately. I need to try something different than that recipe, for sure. I am going to try to make a collins-style drink with the same ingredients, less the rum, later, and see how that goes. Sorry to be such a downer, but I had higher hopes for this.

Not too many to count, but dang. This place has a way of building a cellar for you.

evansmay


quality posts: 0 Private Messages evansmay

I tried to resist, I really did. But then I looked at the two, empty bottles of Organic Sake on the shelf, remembered how delicious they are, and read too many of SakeGuys' posts...

Who could resist that?

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:What store carries this stuff?



Oh, some local stuff here. Hiller's, Market Village...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"