smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

I'm a member of the current ratpack ! Will report in after dinner.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

Vitadiamore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Vitadiamore

I've been stalking this site for some time now and decided to make this my first wine woot... go big or go home right?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Labrat Report:

So bowtie, what'd ya get?

I got the wine rack!

Which in all honesty is better than the wine since I need storage WAY more than I need wine and I'll soon have another to join it.

Here's what you need to know:

Nose: Strong hints of Cedar. This is wonderful for those of you missing the Pacific Northwest or are deathly afraid of moths.

Color: Um, wood colored

Taste: Oh hell no, I'm not eating wood. I don't take my duties that seriously.

Ease of use: It was really easy to put together. No tools necassary, BOWTIES APPENDAGES LIVE TIL THE MORROW. Just kinda fits together really easy. I didn't measure it because I have 9 tapes and can't find a single one. But it's not huge, in fact it fits on top of Urbina wine fridge a bunch of us got from Overstock a while back. That's not where I'm putting mine though. It's going on the counter around the corner from it. Bottles seem to fit but I didn't try a Pinot or Syrah because I have no Pinot and didn't feel like digging out a Syrah.

In all, a quite nice rack, thanks WD!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ewqcsl wrote:I'll just say it: I was supposed to rat the Corison Helios Cabernet. Before you pile on: I didn't get the bottle till yesterday (Monday, after a Thursday offering). I practically wore out FedEx tracking site, offered to drive to the FedEx warehouse on Saturday, but it got held up in Memphis by the snowstorm that walloped the South over the weekend. I e-mailed WD with updates. I was bummed, as I'm a fan of Cathy's work. I even had a student sommelier lined up to taste with me. Here's my question: what now? Not inclined to ship it back (Woot's $20 to ship it to me + my $20 to ship it back = $40 shipping on a $28 bottle). I am inclined to taste and post notes in this thread and on Cellartracker, since there seems to be a high degree of crossover.

I knew it. I was gonna leave a blank spot for you but then thought "Any time I do that, the rat doesn't EVER report in." And I just knew that by NOT leaving a spot, here you'd be. Razzin' fraggin' Go and post your report on the Helios thread and I'll shuffle things around and get you packed. At least you showed up before I started really packing THIS offering. Then it's really screwy to stuff you in

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
ewqcsl wrote:I'll just say it: I was supposed to rat the Corison Helios Cabernet.

Dear Fellow Stinkin' Rat -

Enjoy it now - enjoy it later - let it age 5 years - make Sangria (ok, just kidding on that one) - whatever you want to do.

Time is past when it can help one decide to order, so I absolve you of any and all responsibility, shame or guilt, and commend your efforts at reportage - as only another stinkin' rat can do.

Cheers!

skizzy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skizzy

Labrat report..

OK, I just drank 1/2 of 3 bottles, so gimme a break..

The Bianco de Bianco:
Nice fruity nose..
Had it with some good brie on baguette slices, was wonderful!
Had the second 1/2 with dessert, fruit tart, not as good..
I liked it with food, but it was kinda sweet alone..
I'm not a big sparkling wine person so..

Moving on to the Sangiovese..
Opened and breathing for 1.5 hours..
In a word, meh...
It was OK, but nothing special..
Had it with a porterhouse grilled with fluer de sel and fresh ground pepper, much better!The food really brought out the spices and the woody flavors..
For the price its OK, but nothing to write home about..
Sorry Megan..

skizzy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skizzy

Now for the taste test with the Noceto..
I had a bottle of the Noceto Reserve, opened it at the same time as the Mandolina..

First taste, about the same..
But, the Noceto opened up alot more than the Mandolina..

I forgot what I paid for the Noceto, but it was superior to the Mandolina..

Funny thing, when I had them with the chocolate tart for dessert, you couldn't tell a difference..

ssoard

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssoard
nmachen wrote:
* Have a big party in your cubicle - drink up

Don't think this didn't cross my mind!

Unfortunately, shipping it home doesn't work (stupid KS laws). But I am seriously considering the 2-3 bottles at a time method. And I could probably find somebody who would drink the white/rose stuff. I've never had much success finding a non-red that I liked.

But I like the way you guys think!

bhodilee

skizzy wrote:Labrat report..

OK, I just drank 1/2 of 3 bottles, so gimme a break..

The Bianco de Bianco:
Nice fruity nose..
Had it with some good brie on baguette slices, was wonderful!
Had the second 1/2 with dessert, fruit tart, not as good..
I liked it with food, but it was kinda sweet alone..
I'm not a big sparkling wine person so..

Moving on to the Sangiovese..
Opened and breathing for 1.5 hours..
In a word, meh...
It was OK, but nothing special..
Had it with a porterhouse grilled with fluer de sel and fresh ground pepper, much better!The food really brought out the spices and the woody flavors..
For the price its OK, but nothing to write home about..
Sorry Megan..

Did you taste as you decanted? 1.5 hours seems lengthy for how I remember their Sangio. Tasty but a little thin.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

StarrsMom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages StarrsMom

Got home today from a "non-interview" on the other side of the area, an hour drive, to see that Fed-Ex had been there. Grabbed the dogs and drove the 30 minutes to the center to find that I was chosen as a labrat!

Tried the rose tonight after hubby came home, both room temp and chilled.

Room temp: bouquet smelled somewhat like strawberries, nicely acidic taste with, again, strawberry flavor (light).

Icy cold: not much smell, but tasted more like strawberry when drank it.

Will report on the Toccato Reserve tomorrow, will be sampling with friends.

smagee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages smagee

Ok, as with our previous 'ratter, I should add a disclaimer that I've got a good bottle (1/2 of two of them) in me, and unlike my predecessor, I didn't eat ;) That said, I think the results will be helpful enough. Incidental apologies to all for missing my expected deadline; these things take longer to compile than I expected!

... Interesting... I didn't realize that WW only allowed a certain number of characters in a post (or something). Consequently, the reviews will be divided up. Apologies for the inconvenience :p

smagee

Never mind, I guess I had some invalid text formatting in there. Onward!

Pinot Grigio
Tasted lightly chilled, of course.

Color
Very pale yellow; virtually translucent when held up to the light. Even for grigio, this was light. Its legs were wide-spaced (~2cm on a rather large glass) and thin.

Nose
First scent I got was, oddly enough, oak. A lot of oak; if I didn't know better, I would've guessed this was a Chardonnay (a crisp one; this thing wasn't buttery). Subtle pear, apple, and a light floral scent at the end.
After 15 minutes, the pear emerged much stronger, and the oak quieted down to a slight hint.

Taste
Ah, the crux. Tart, for a grigio, with a mild alcohol burn on the tip of the tongue. The apple came out along with a hint of the pear, but overall it was rather dry. Not a fruity white at all; surprising (in my experience) for this varietal. Mild-heavy acid. Lingers well on the palate; the apple surges forward and recedes into citrus (mostly lemon, hint of orange perhaps). The acid really kicks in at the end, and almost transitions to buttery, but not unpleasantly so.
After 15 minutes, the lemon emerges much stronger, perhaps due as much to time as it is to warming up.

Suggested Pairing
Light fish (trout, bass, tilapia), maybe an herb-butter chicken breast. Definitely not built for high-acid foods.

Barbera
It should be noted that at this point I had a glass and a half or so of the grigio in me, but I think my notes are still solid.

Color
New/dark brick; translucent at the center, but nice gradient inwards. Reminiscent of light cherry; very pretty, but not like the deep ruby of a gorgeous petit. Medium-width closely-spaced legs (~.5-1cm).

Nose
Heavy on the jam! Strawberry comes to mind first, carrying with it mild-heavy currant and just a touch of tobacco (or perhaps leather).
15 minutes brought the currant out to "strong", along with mild plum and a light earthiness, for lack of a better description.

Taste
Immediate response: tobacco in the nose is definitely present, almost prominent. The raspberry also comes out, but not overwhelming; it brings a pleasant tartness. Very light alcohol burn to it; after the grigio, it's almost unnoticeable, but it becomes stronger when it hits the back of the throat. Low acid and tannin content--I would definitely say this wine is not built for long-term aging.
After 5 minutes, the plum emerges stronger than before; raspberry quiets down a bit, which is nice. The tartness was almost overwhelming at the start.
After 10, it's reminiscent of a pinot noir, actually: a light fruit splash with a lingering salty-ish finish. Mild strawberry (quieted down a bit too). The complexity doesn't really linger on the palate; probably about 5 seconds or so. As it lingers, it fades to a mild acidity with a light currant aftertaste.
Finally, after 15 minutes, the currant re-emerges as the dominant force. Raspberry also comes back with a punch, but much less tart than before. Almost like the berries ripened ;) The Pinot-like saltiness is almost completely gone again, and the tannins have emerged, transitioning from low to mild.

Suggested Pairing
Basically, things that you would pair with sangiovese: tomato pasta, pork chops; non-smoky foods would be my suggestions. Definitely not a big meal like barbecue or grilled foods.

Final Thoughts
Both wines were decent, and rather surprising. The grigio was much more chardonnay-like than I anticipated, with hints of butter and little of the strong fruit I usually associate with it. Still, it's a refreshing wine, and would do well as a summer glass.
The Barbera surprised me simply with its variety; it transformed so many times, I was hard-pressed to keep track. I'm continuing to taste, but I think my palate is becoming suspect. I'll post additional comments tomorrow after a good day of exposure to see how they hold up.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
bhodilee wrote:Labrat Report:

So bowtie, what'd ya get?

I got the wine rack!

Which in all honesty is better than the wine since I need storage WAY more than I need wine and I'll soon have another to join it.

Here's what you need to know:

Nose: Strong hints of Cedar. This is wonderful for those of you missing the Pacific Northwest or are deathly afraid of moths.

Color: Um, wood colored

Taste: Oh hell no, I'm not eating wood. I don't take my duties that seriously.

Ease of use: It was really easy to put together. No tools necassary, BOWTIES APPENDAGES LIVE TIL THE MORROW. Just kinda fits together really easy. I didn't measure it because I have 9 tapes and can't find a single one. But it's not huge, in fact it fits on top of Urbina wine fridge a bunch of us got from Overstock a while back. That's not where I'm putting mine though. It's going on the counter around the corner from it. Bottles seem to fit but I didn't try a Pinot or Syrah because I have no Pinot and didn't feel like digging out a Syrah.

In all, a quite nice rack, thanks WD!

*laughs hysterically* I'm not sure if I liked 'deathly afraid of moths' or 'wood colored' more. :D

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph
smagee wrote:Never mind, I guess I had some invalid text formatting in there. Onward!

Pinot Grigio
Tasted lightly chilled, of course.

Color
Very pale yellow; virtually translucent when held up to the light. Even for grigio, this was light. Its legs were wide-spaced (~2cm on a rather large glass) and thin.

Nose
First scent I got was, oddly enough, oak. A lot of oak; if I didn't know better, I would've guessed this was a Chardonnay (a crisp one; this thing wasn't buttery). Subtle pear, apple, and a light floral scent at the end.
After 15 minutes, the pear emerged much stronger, and the oak quieted down to a slight hint.

Taste
Ah, the crux. Tart, for a grigio, with a mild alcohol burn on the tip of the tongue. The apple came out along with a hint of the pear, but overall it was rather dry. Not a fruity white at all; surprising (in my experience) for this varietal. Mild-heavy acid. Lingers well on the palate; the apple surges forward and recedes into citrus (mostly lemon, hint of orange perhaps). The acid really kicks in at the end, and almost transitions to buttery, but not unpleasantly so.
After 15 minutes, the lemon emerges much stronger, perhaps due as much to time as it is to warming up.

Suggested Pairing
Light fish (trout, bass, tilapia), maybe an herb-butter chicken breast. Definitely not built for high-acid foods.

Barbera
It should be noted that at this point I had a glass and a half or so of the grigio in me, but I think my notes are still solid.

Color
New/dark brick; translucent at the center, but nice gradient inwards. Reminiscent of light cherry; very pretty, but not like the deep ruby of a gorgeous petit. Medium-width closely-spaced legs (~.5-1cm).

Nose
Heavy on the jam! Strawberry comes to mind first, carrying with it mild-heavy currant and just a touch of tobacco (or perhaps leather).
15 minutes brought the currant out to "strong", along with mild plum and a light earthiness, for lack of a better description.

Taste
Immediate response: tobacco in the nose is definitely present, almost prominent. The raspberry also comes out, but not overwhelming; it brings a pleasant tartness. Very light alcohol burn to it; after the grigio, it's almost unnoticeable, but it becomes stronger when it hits the back of the throat. Low acid and tannin content--I would definitely say this wine is not built for long-term aging.
After 5 minutes, the plum emerges stronger than before; raspberry quiets down a bit, which is nice. The tartness was almost overwhelming at the start.
After 10, it's reminiscent of a pinot noir, actually: a light fruit splash with a lingering salty-ish finish. Mild strawberry (quieted down a bit too). The complexity doesn't really linger on the palate; probably about 5 seconds or so. As it lingers, it fades to a mild acidity with a light currant aftertaste.
Finally, after 15 minutes, the currant re-emerges as the dominant force. Raspberry also comes back with a punch, but much less tart than before. Almost like the berries ripened ;) The Pinot-like saltiness is almost completely gone again, and the tannins have emerged, transitioning from low to mild.

Suggested Pairing
Basically, things that you would pair with sangiovese: tomato pasta, pork chops; non-smoky foods would be my suggestions. Definitely not a big meal like barbecue or grilled foods.

Final Thoughts
Both wines were decent, and rather surprising. The grigio was much more chardonnay-like than I anticipated, with hints of butter and little of the strong fruit I usually associate with it. Still, it's a refreshing wine, and would do well as a summer glass.
The Barbera surprised me simply with its variety; it transformed so many times, I was hard-pressed to keep track. I'm continuing to taste, but I think my palate is becoming suspect. I'll post additional comments tomorrow after a good day of exposure to see how they hold up.

Wonderful reports! I'm pretty interested in that Barbera now.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Labratting Mandolina's 2004 Toccata (Classico) and 2004 Nebbiolo.

1. 2004 Toccatto (Classico)
Described by the WINERY thusly:

Toccata is our interpretation of the classic blends of Tuscany. This is an artful blend of California grown Italian (45% Sangiovese and 15% Freisa) and Bordeaux varieties (15% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc and 10% Merlot), made in the Super-Tuscan style. Each component was carefully aged on its own in French oak barrels for 18 months prior to blending to best assure a classical harmony of these diverse varietals. The final blend is determined shortly prior to bottling. This Classico embodies notes of strawberry, blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, black cherry, earth and spice. Enjoy with all Italian style cuisine.

MY TAKE:
Marvelous berry aromas escaped from the bottle as the cork was pulled free. Raspberry predominates on first taste though strawberry was prominent as well, and some elements of blackberry and cherry. No blueberry discernable to me. Holiday spice detectable as was a forest earthiness. Tasted just a bit of toffee as well. And a bit of tanginess, a pleasant tanginess. Flavor overall was most enjoyable. This wine was neither sweet nor too dry.

Complimented the melange of Italian food I had put together very well but the wine was almost but not quite equally as good on its own.

A winner.

I have gotten used to decanting wine (or recently fiddling with my new aerator) but this wine was best in the first pourings. Best out of the bottle.

2. 2004 Nebbiolo
Described by the WINERY thusly:
This wine, enhanced by 25 months of aging in French oak barrels, is ripe with dried cranberry and red raspberry character.

MY TAKE:
Predominant cranberrry aromas and taste. Some lesser cherry and raspberry flavors...cherryish, I'd say. I also tasted nuts and spice. Tart (not unpleasantly so.) Bit of leather. Slightly woody taste, again not unpleasant.

Like the Toccato Classico, the Nebbiolo was best prior to decanting so pop and pour and partake without procrastination. Overall, of the two, I found the Toccato to be more inspiring and the better candidate for stocking up in the future if Wine.Woot offers it again at a good price. Meanwhile there'll be the mixed case currently being offered to enjoy when I need a fix of Italian-inspired wine!

EDIT: will try to revisit the remaining half bottle of each tomorrow to note any changes

FURTHER EDIT (next day): Finished the Toccata tonight...some loss of aroma and flavor....but still tasted good if not as good as the night before. So, in summary, I'd drink the Toccata (and the Nebbiolo) without decanting and finish the bottle that same night if possible.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

pine22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pine22

is it bad that i just want that wine rack? if i werent a poor college student id be all over this ahuhu

theazman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theazman

very deceiving picture

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
theazman wrote:very deceiving picture

Uh huh.

Which one? The picture with the twelve bottles being offered along with the wine rack, or the other one that shows the wine rack being offered with the twelve bottles?

kyle83uw

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kyle83uw
yumitori wrote:Uh huh.

Which one? The picture with the twelve bottles being offered along with the wine rack, or the other one that shows the wine rack being offered with the twelve bottles?

My thoughts exactly...I don't see how either picture could be considered deceiving in any way...

rugrats2001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
yellowroe wrote:I thought the gal from JanKris said it could hold up to 10 years on the ones offered a few weeks ago.

I think you are referring to the Corison - not quite the same :-)

rugrats2001

SmilingBoognish wrote:Not unreasonable. I think the house wine was 9 euro and the bottle was 23. It was our last night in Italy, and we thought we'd order a little nicer wine. Definitely was not expecting the age, and at first we were kind of wondering if the wine would be drinkable at all!

Still waiting on winemakers opinion as to when the best time would be to open the Nebbiolo. ;)

For the difference, I would think the experience would be worth the extra $$. Good form!

rugrats2001

cheron98 wrote:I knew it. I was gonna leave a blank spot for you but then thought "Any time I do that, the rat doesn't EVER report in." And I just knew that by NOT leaving a spot, here you'd be. Razzin' fraggin' Go and post your report on the Helios thread and I'll shuffle things around and get you packed. At least you showed up before I started really packing THIS offering. Then it's really screwy to stuff you in

OK, what exactly is "getting packed"? Do
I even want to know?

rugrats2001

kyle83uw wrote:My thoughts exactly...I don't see how either picture could be considered deceiving in any way...

Well duh...

If you look at both pictures, it shows 2 wine racks and 24 bottles!

How deceiving!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
rugrats2001 wrote:OK, what exactly is "getting packed"? Do
I even want to know?

We (I) keep up a thread in the world of woot wine area in the forums that consolidates all the labrat reports. We call it "The RatPack". I've taken to telling people that once I copy their labrat report over to that thread, that they've been "packed".

That's all Nothing to fear. There's a link in my signature down there to get to the thread. Something about "Labrat Reports".

Edit: By the way, all the rats currently reported in are packed.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

subinsignia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages subinsignia
skizzy wrote:Now for the taste test with the Noceto..
I had a bottle of the Noceto Reserve, opened it at the same time as the Mandolina..

First taste, about the same..
But, the Noceto opened up alot more than the Mandolina..

I forgot what I paid for the Noceto, but it was superior to the Mandolina..

Funny thing, when I had them with the chocolate tart for dessert, you couldn't tell a difference..

That's because Noceto is far superior and that sangiovese is not made for chocolate dessert.

Steve Jones

subinsignia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages subinsignia
fairnymph wrote:The Noceto was one of my all time favourite offerings, especially from a QPR perspective. I loved both their Sangioveses, but the Reserve is the better of the two, IMO. I found it more complex.

The Normale (regular sangio) is blended each year to try to achieve consistency. The reserva is limited to where they pick from and it is a part of their estate where the grapes ripen well and produce a more intense wine. It also costs a little more.

I've been sipping their juice since the 2003 vintage. I've found a little variation. Off the cuff, they ranked:

1. 2004
2. 2006
3. 2003
4. 2005

All are very, very good. The 2006 may be better than the 2004, it's just young and I only had the Normale so far.

Steve Jones

blusky558

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blusky558

My Golden Ticket just arrived.

I will partake of the 2007 Moscato and the 2007 Dolcetto. My package decided to take a rest stop in Memphis, so was delayed a day.

Might just put the Moscato in the fridge here at work for a bit and sample a small taste at lunch, just for lab rats sake.

Need pairing ideas for the Dolcetto, pretty please?

dayoff53

quality posts: 6 Private Messages dayoff53

My wife e-mailed me with permission to buy this deal. I bought before I responded to her - didn't want to give her a chance to change her mind. On my wine budget, most of my cellar consists of juice I fermented myself from kits. It'll be nice to add some more variety!

DayOff53
my cellar

Winedavid39

quality posts: 202 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

blusky558 wrote:My Golden Ticket just arrived.

I will partake of the 2007 Moscato and the 2007 Dolcetto. My package decided to take a rest stop in Memphis, so was delayed a day.

Might just put the Moscato in the fridge here at work for a bit and sample a small taste at lunch, just for lab rats sake.

Fedex Hub does not do snow well (it's rare in Memphis).

afranke

quality posts: 10 Private Messages afranke
bhodilee wrote:Labrat Report:
I didn't measure it because I have 9 tapes and can't find a single one.

This aptly describes every lab/machine shop/basement workbench I've ever known.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
afranke wrote:This aptly describes every lab/machine shop/basement workbench I've ever known.

electrical tape here, buy tons of it but it's never around when I need it

So Bowtie, any chance on rigging these racks so they can be stacked or is that just asking for trouble? I'm thinking maybe drilling some small holes for pegs then Gorilla wood glue on the seams.... just how sturdy is it???

CT

rugrats2001

cheron98 wrote:We (I) keep up a thread in the world of woot wine area in the forums that consolidates all the labrat reports. We call it "The RatPack". I've taken to telling people that once I copy their labrat report over to that thread, that they've been "packed".

That's all Nothing to fear. There's a link in my signature down there to get to the thread. Something about "Labrat Reports".

Edit: By the way, all the rats currently reported in are packed.

Thanks, Cheron. Every day, I try to be a little less n00b-ish, and this helps!

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
smagee wrote:
Excellent rat report

smartheart wrote:
Another excellent rat report

I am so jealous of people that can pick out flavors like this. Is this something you can learn? Are there classes I could take? So many times a flavor is familiar. I can almost place it. It’s frustrating. Like not being able to get the right word out when speaking. It’s right there... on the tip of your tongue...

As it is, I either know if I like it or if I don’t. Ask me why I like it and my answer is because I like it.

BobboinAVL

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobboinAVL

Try it with your favorite pizza or other tomato-based pastas.

rockdawg9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rockdawg9

Well I'm still contemplating this one. If I get it, I'm going in for two and my co-worker will take one. Just...not...sure...

But hey WD, how about a hint???

billmort

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmort
mewalk707 wrote:I am so jealous of people that can pick out flavors like this. Is this something you can learn? Are there classes I could take? So many times a flavor is familiar. I can almost place it. It’s frustrating. Like not being able to get the right word out when speaking. It’s right there... on the tip of your tongue...

You should try out one of these Wine Tasting sets. There is also a bouquet set that lets you sample the various scents found in wine.

bhodilee

bkarney wrote:electrical tape here, buy tons of it but it's never around when I need it

So Bowtie, any chance on rigging these racks so they can be stacked or is that just asking for trouble? I'm thinking maybe drilling some small holes for pegs then Gorilla wood glue on the seams.... just how sturdy is it???

If you did that it would work fine, I would highly suggest adding a base to it though I dont' have it in front of me but I wanna say the boards are inch thick so you should be able to stack them with a peg or bracket. Might get top heavy though hence the base.

bhodilee

mewalk707 wrote:I am so jealous of people that can pick out flavors like this. Is this something you can learn? Are there classes I could take? So many times a flavor is familiar. I can almost place it. It’s frustrating. Like not being able to get the right word out when speaking. It’s right there... on the tip of your tongue...

As it is, I either know if I like it or if I don’t. Ask me why I like it and my answer is because I like it.

do you need another reason?

smagee

I think there are classes (and I see someone already mentioned one of the tasting kits that are available), but more than that, I'd suggest just tasting lots and lots of wine ;) Actually, I generally don't note individual flavors (and don't really feel like I do it well) when tasting/drinking; I more often just go with the "like/don't like" test myself. But in this case I figured my fellow wooters deserved something a bit less subjective.

Moving *very* slowly through the initial tasting process, you can start to pick out different flavors. Even if you don't necessarily know what they are, teaching your palate to separate them out will lead to the next step. ... I'm hoping this doesn't come across as pretentious; as I said, I don't really feel that I do it well myself, but that's just what I find works to some extent

smagee

I'm not entirely sure what the dolcetto is like, but judging from the winery's description of it, I'd probably go with a sweet-ish chicken/pork dish (teriyaki chicken perhaps, or applesauce pork chops). I'd expect the sweet/salty of the meal would complement a wine that appears to be fairly fruity vintage.