bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Well, I'm in. Wife not gonna be happy. I'm confident WD will let me sleep in the warehouse though. I'm trustworthy and can pack boxes in my spare time.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki

Bah, I told myself if it'd bounce I'd buy. It bounces. With a little nudge from worstvegetarianever.

CT

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Bouncing !

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 47 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
smagee wrote:...I'd suggest just tasting lots and lots of wine ;) Actually, I generally don't note individual flavors (and don't really feel like I do it well) when tasting/drinking; I more often just go with the "like/don't like" test myself. But in this case I figured my fellow wooters deserved something a bit less subjective.

To add to that, you can use any descriptors you'd like! I've found myself describing wines as having a lot of treble or bass. One particular Sauvignon Blanc I had (Quivira, iirc) tasted just like a tasting room smells. Once in a while a wine will just scream a fruit flavor to me, typically I am good at picking out cranberry, blueberry or cherry in red wines, but that doesn't happen all the time.

denise4080

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denise4080

Just a quick thanks to the people who brought this offering together. I have decided to save most of it for Easter to do a family wine testing.

Any hints yet?

hawk0168

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hawk0168

First wine.woot! Just out of college poorness be damned!

INTLGerard

quality posts: 58 Private Messages INTLGerard

Guest Blogger

mewalk707 wrote:I am so jealous of people that can pick out flavors like this. Is this something you can learn? Are there classes I could take? So many times a flavor is familiar. I can almost place it. It’s frustrating. Like not being able to get the right word out when speaking. It’s right there... on the tip of your tongue...

As it is, I either know if I like it or if I don’t. Ask me why I like it and my answer is because I like it.

Certainly you can do this! Flavor and aroma descriptors are very personal and unique to each individual and therefore there is no right or wrong just what you are experiencing at that moment. By tasting, tasting, tasting and recording your experiences you will become more aware, comfortable and fine tuned over time. Aroma wheels or tasting charts help pickup flavors by sight identification. Tasting kits are expensive but they do expedite the palate memory your building as you go. It is very helpful to learn how to taste and break down a wine’s structural components (acid, body, tannin...etc.) which play a very important role in muting or accentuating aroma and taste. This will help you demystify the experience and allow you to pick out all the nuances. If possible, take a reputable wine tasting class that covers wines from all over the world and how to identify the characteristics and components that make up a given wine. A less expensive alternative may be to read “How to Taste” by MW Jancis Robinson. There are many other books and reputable authors to choose from so it should be easy to find one suits you.

If all of that is just too much right now just keep on tasting, be creative, share your experiences and have fun which is what it is all about and certainly what Wine.Woot is all about...IMO! Stick with this forum, you'll learn a lot here! ...Hope this helps

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
INTLGerard wrote:Certainly you can do this! *snipped* If all of that is just too much right now just keep on tasting, be creative, share your experiences and have fun which is what it is all about and certainly what Wine.Woot is all about...IMO! Stick with this forum, you'll learn a lot here! ...Hope this helps

Thank you, and thank you to everyone who responded. Great ideas all of them. Now if I could just get out of this office so I could open a bottle and get started... i've got a lot of drinking to do!

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
hawk0168 wrote:First wine.woot! Just out of college poorness be damned!

This is a pretty darned good deal, so be happy with your decision!

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

foobarski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski

And the shiny, bouncy button, she is pushed. Yay!

The usual suspects (the rattitude and the winery participation) helped seal the deal, as well as my happiness with both the Toothy and the EHP.

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

rockdawg9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rockdawg9

Ok, I caved, as usual. In for 2. One for me, one for my neighbor in cubeville. Trying to get her to drink better wine, and we can save $5.

Mostly I got this case to have stuff that I don't feel as guilty opening as some of the other WW's I've bought. Easier to justify cracking that $12 bottle over the $25 Corison. Not that I won't be doing both, but it's good to have options.

ahaslett

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ahaslett
mewalk707 wrote:I am so jealous of people that can pick out flavors like this. Is this something you can learn? Are there classes I could take? So many times a flavor is familiar. I can almost place it. It’s frustrating. Like not being able to get the right word out when speaking. It’s right there... on the tip of your tongue...

As it is, I either know if I like it or if I don’t. Ask me why I like it and my answer is because I like it.

I'm fairly new to the taste dissection myself, and I've been doing a lot of cheating. I'm taking a class right now that allows me to sample a bunch of different wines, and I like to look them up ahead of time. If I know people think a given wine tastes "jammy," then I can generally find it in the given wine. It's good for those odd terms, like "earthy." In the short period of time that I've been doing that, I feel like I can pick out most fruits and a lot of the spices. I still need more exposure to the non-food descriptors before I can really get a grasp on those.

bhodilee

I just found a bottle of the 05 Sangio in my basement in a box, i'm hyper-organized, I'll post up a volunteer ratty after 8:30 even if it's sold out. I wish volunteer rattery to henceforth be known as either ratty-light or ratty-ice. discuss

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
bhodilee wrote:I just found a bottle of the 05 Sangio in my basement in a box, i'm hyper-organized, I'll post up a volunteer ratty after 8:30 even if it's sold out. I wish volunteer rattery to henceforth be known as either ratty-light or ratty-ice. discuss

As long as you don't mix them up and get ratty-lice. That would just be gross.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

denise4080 wrote:Just a quick thanks to the people who brought this offering together. I have decided to save most of it for Easter to do a family wine testing.

Any hints yet?

opine for a clue ?

denise4080

http://www.opinecellars.com/contact/index.html

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
denise4080 wrote:http://www.opinecellars.com/contact/index.html

Not that easy ....

Main Entry: opinion

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: belief

Synonyms: assessment, assumption, attitude, conception, conclusion, conjecture, estimate, estimation, eye*, fancy, feeling, guess, hypothesis, idea, imagining, impression, inclination, inference, judgment, mind, notion, persuasion, point of view, postulate, presumption, presupposition, reaction, say-so, sentiment, slant, speculation, supposition, surmise, suspicion, take*, theorem, theory, thesis, think*, thought, view, viewpoint

Antonyms: reality, truth

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

lahargis

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lahargis
denise4080 wrote:http://www.opinecellars.com/contact/index.html

hmmmmm - that seemed way too easy.

denise4080

lahargis wrote:hmmmmm - that seemed way too easy.

I knew that, but still had to try.

foobarski

rockdawg9 wrote:
Mostly I got this case to have stuff that I don't feel as guilty opening as some of the other WW's I've bought. Easier to justify cracking that $12 bottle over the $25 Corison. Not that I won't be doing both, but it's good to have options.

Those were exactly my thoughts as well ... these should just be good daily drinkers (as has been the JanKris, so far.) Probably 75% of my non-Woot purchases these days are in the $8-15 range.
(And if I find I'm really digging these wines ... well, the Mandolina wine club does ship to Ohio ...)

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?

Chefdupont

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Chefdupont

Mandolina Italian Varietal Case with Wooden Wine Rack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: mgdsh
Speed to first woot: 0m 27.923s
Last wooter to woot: Chefdupont

You guys had to suck me in with your comments, and the cheap wine and the chance to try interesting varietals. I tried to hold out for as long as I could but the draw was just too much (plus my GF agreed to split the cost with me since I buy most of the wine, but now I am on a 4 offering buying ban, i doubt that will hold)

foobarski

Winedavid39 wrote:opine for a clue ?

"Opines are low molecular weight compounds found in plant crown gall tumors produced by the parasitic bacterium Agrobacterium."

Completely irrelevant, yes, I know. [shrug]

bhodilee

mewalk707 wrote:As long as you don't mix them up and get ratty-lice. That would just be gross.

No hair, no worries

Okay, quick impression of the 2005 Sangio:

Nose: little hot right out of the bottle so hard to discern, little whiffs of cherry cordial, that's new from the last time.

Color: Not as deep as I'd have thought, but nice

Taste: Definite sour cherry, classic Sangio flavors if a little muted. Not hugely complex but nice. No real faults. Not tannic, but you wouldn't expect that. Nice lingering finish. Alcohol on the nose isn't translating to the mouth.

Verdict: I really like this wine. I don't always want to be "challenged" when I'm drinking wine. I also don't always have a lot of time to decant so having a simple (not in a bad way) pop and pour wine on hand is a wonderful thing. I'd happily pair this with a good pizza or sausage and peppers. Man I want sausage and peppers now. I also want Pad Thai cause they're making it on Food Network.

Heat went away on the nose, smoothed out on the tongue. Very easy drinking. Very Very nice for 10 bucks. Wish I could find it local

bhodilee

foobarski wrote:"Opines are low molecular weight compounds found in plant crown gall tumors produced by the parasitic bacterium Agrobacterium."

Completely irrelevant, yes, I know. [shrug]

Maybe it's o pine, something to do with conifers? I'm not gonna look any further, I'm just gonna drink wine and hope like hell this offering sells out.

StarrsMom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages StarrsMom

Lab Rat Report: 2003 Toccata Riserva

really dark red color, pleasant aroma
had with hot wings and ceasar salad, tasted slightly sweet with full-bodied taste, slightly acidic finish (nice)

when sampled wine with dessert (NY style cheesecake from Publix), was not as sweet, tasted tannins more

really enjoyed the wine, especially after driving 4 hours to share the experience with our friends in S FL

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
bhodilee wrote:Maybe it's o pine, something to do with conifers? I'm not gonna look any further, I'm just gonna drink wine and hope like hell this offering sells out.

now it's starting to get loopy jack (or jill?)

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

I've been going back and forth w/ buying this and now that the button is bouncing I want it even more.

Must resist. Tomorrow could be Robert Craig or Wellington or.....

sam9539

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sam9539

http://www.thepinesvineyard.com/

bhodilee

winefarm wrote:now it's starting to get loopy jack (or jill?)

transvestite winery?

justplainjulie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages justplainjulie

Roots Run Deep Winery makes a label called Educated Guess

OR

Jack and Jill = hill
Loopy = round

Round Hill Winery became part of Rutherford Ranch. Not sure about the "opine" though...

rockdawg9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rockdawg9

Aaaand, we're sold out. Good to know there are plenty of us suckers out there. Bring on the next temptation!

bhodilee

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF HANNIBAL. I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
bhodilee wrote:HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF HANNIBAL. I LOVE IT WHEN A PLAN COMES TOGETHER.

pretty crazy.

biscoradio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biscoradio
rockdawg9 wrote:Aaaand, we're sold out. Good to know there are plenty of us suckers out there. Bring on the next temptation!

d'oh! I was just about to place my order, was sitting on my couch, about to start lost, realized I had forgotten to get in on this deal, and damn... about 10 minutes too late.

Princessjolie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Princessjolie
tenuki wrote:Bah, I told myself if it'd bounce I'd buy. It bounces. With a little nudge from worstvegetarianever.

Its been bouncing for 8 hours & now its sold out.

bhodilee

winefarm wrote:pretty crazy.

No kidding, but lets not make this the norm Twice a year, quarterly maybe. Though I can't imagine this was an easy sell to the winery so no worries there.

ltraffis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ltraffis

Was Opsie wishing for a special juice??

ltraffis

bhodilee wrote:Labrat Report:

So bowtie, what'd ya get?

I got the wine rack!

Which in all honesty is better than the wine since I need storage WAY more than I need wine and I'll soon have another to join it.

Here's what you need to know:

Nose: Strong hints of Cedar. This is wonderful for those of you missing the Pacific Northwest or are deathly afraid of moths.

Color: Um, wood colored

Taste: Oh hell no, I'm not eating wood. I don't take my duties that seriously.

Ease of use: It was really easy to put together. No tools necassary, BOWTIES APPENDAGES LIVE TIL THE MORROW. Just kinda fits together really easy. I didn't measure it because I have 9 tapes and can't find a single one. But it's not huge, in fact it fits on top of Urbina wine fridge a bunch of us got from Overstock a while back. That's not where I'm putting mine though. It's going on the counter around the corner from it. Bottles seem to fit but I didn't try a Pinot or Syrah because I have no Pinot and didn't feel like digging out a Syrah.

In all, a quite nice rack, thanks WD!

Now people, this is a rat report...great job!

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
winefarm wrote:now it's starting to get loopy jack (or jill?)

Twisted Oak? I'd be all over that.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

ltraffis

StarrsMom wrote:Got home today from a "non-interview" on the other side of the area, an hour drive, to see that Fed-Ex had been there. Grabbed the dogs and drove the 30 minutes to the center to find that I was chosen as a labrat!

Tried the rose tonight after hubby came home, both room temp and chilled.

Room temp: bouquet smelled somewhat like strawberries, nicely acidic taste with, again, strawberry flavor (light).

Icy cold: not much smell, but tasted more like strawberry when drank it.

Will report on the Toccato Reserve tomorrow, will be sampling with friends.

I know what it feels like when you see that tag on the door. Great effort to make it happen.