OoWillz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages OoWillz

It sounds so good. Sadly Woot doesn't ship to Canada .

jplamb

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jplamb
billmort wrote:Still would have been more convincing if he actually bought one.

Looks like he did end up buying one, he now has 1 woot. Either that or he bought some of those flea market bookmark lights.

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex

Hi Chris/Tim

I am excited to try your wines. Thanks you so much for the opportunity to try your wines. I'm not as sophisticated as others on this site, but I have enjoyed studying and trying wines from all over the world. I am not deep into the industry, so all the chemistry I leave to you experts. If I don't like what you make I just don't buy again. Something tells me I will enjoy yours.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
jplamb wrote:Looks like he did end up buying one, he now has 1 woot. Either that or he bought some of those flea market bookmark lights.

Or the flea market shirt.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
OoWillz wrote:It sounds so good. Sadly Woot doesn't ship to Canada .

Most depressing first post evah - you waited almost THREE YEARS TO SAY THAT?!?!?!!

WD - Wine in the w00t 0ff? When?

kylemittskus

MaskedMarvel wrote:Most depressing first post evah - you waited almost THREE YEARS TO SAY THAT?!?!?!!

Woot-off wine = there goes the SIWBM. Rollerball (2002).

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

I don't have a cellar nor even a wine fridge. IF I did this, I'd want to preserve it...maybe bff and her hubby would let me store it in their cellar.

So, when might this be at its peak?

EDITED, because "not" does not equal "nor." :P

Pedemontetim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Pedemontetim
MaxAlex wrote:Hi Chris/Tim

I am excited to try your wines. Thanks you so much for the opportunity to try your wines. I'm not as sophisticated as others on this site, but I have enjoyed studying and trying wines from all over the world. I am not deep into the industry, so all the chemistry I leave to you experts. If I don't like what you make I just don't buy again. Something tells me I will enjoy yours.

MaxAlex,

Thanks for giving our wine a try. It is all about what you enjoy and we think that you will be pleased.

Tim

cjpedemonte

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cjpedemonte
MaxAlex wrote:Hi Chris/Tim

Thanks MaxAlex, I think you'll enjoy it too. You might not believe it, but I'm honored to have all you wooters trust us and buy it before tasting. I'll be curious to hear what every one thinks.

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
MaskedMarvel wrote:
~snipped sum~

Please say it isn't so(just in case- gotta finish those taxes for a refund).
Snoozenberry/Snoozeberry??... or is that just a myth?
;)

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

cjpedemonte

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cjpedemonte
bardolator wrote:I don't have a cellar not even a wine fridge. IF I did this, I'd want to preserve it...maybe bff and her hubby would let me store it in their cellar.

So, when might this be at its peak?

Bard...As you know, when a wine "peaks" can be subjective. I like to think a wine will plateau for a while before dropping off slowly. If you consult The Winespectator website you'll see they think it will drink best from 2010 through 2016. I agree with their assesment but would err on the side of the earlier years to get the best of the young vibrant fruit notes. The wood is already well integrated and will round out a bit more, but it doesn't need much.
Chris

kblais

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kblais

Labrat Report on the Cab. (My groveling worked.)

Thank you wine.woot staff.

There are a few things to consider as I prepare to offer my opinion of this wine:

1. My exchange with rpm regarding alcohol content. (This is a 15.1% alcohol wine.) My personal preference is for traditional lower alcohol blends in the Bordeaux style, but that does not prevent me from appreciating New World varietal cabs.

2. Chris Pedemonte: ". . . with this particular vintage, the alcohol really does not present itself as hot or out of proportion. The drinkability is quite good right now. Personally I typically like cabs between 3 and 8 years."

3. Chris Pedemonte: "In my mind a trophy wine is a really great wine that is fantastic to drink by itself. It usually is so huge with mouth imploding flavors that it would serve as the the main course in any meal instead of a complement to it. You'll find the Pedemonte wines have a delicacy, elegance and finesse that really goes with food." I was prepared to treat this as a drinking wine, but figured I should take Chris up on the food pairing.

I pulled the cork around 6 p.m. as I started to prepare dinner for the family (pasta with tomato sauce, a challenge I know, but decided upon before I knew the wine was coming).

Deep garnet, with oak and the alcohol forward on the nose, hints of tobacco and herbs on the palate, but everything still tightly wound. I put my glass down while I took time to peel fresh garlic and slice up a few Kalamata olives and tomatoes for my sauce.

After about 30 minutes, with the water on a boil, the oak had receded to reveal aromas of cherry, blueberry and pomegranate, but with the alcohol note still present. Similar flavors on the palate, with grippy tannins and the alcohol obvious, but not hot by any means.

After about 45 minutes, we were digging in to the pasta. I did not find the wine (pH 3.75) a good pairing with the pasta. I have no doubt it would have paired well with a steak.

9 p.m. Sipping as I write this. I had a bottle of the Block 13 open, and used it to provide a comparison, but I won't compare here. This wine is not a fruit bomb. It can't help but be a big wine, with the expected round mouth feel and prominent red berry, but there's also a layer of the mineral notes and earthiness that encourage me to go and slice some dry salami, Stilton and a few desiccated olives. I am not sure I'd use "delicate" to describe this wine, but it certainly has an elegance and complexity that distinguish it from a typical New World wine aiming for a high Parker rating.

In all honesty, I don't think I'd pay the $50 retail price (I never pay retail!), but the QPR at the wine.woot price is excellent. I have no regrets for my purchase of two, and am really looking forward to the Adagio!

Thanks again staff.wine.woot for the chance to labrat this wine!

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
rpm wrote:The interested should check out the Rutherford Dust Society

Wow! Great informative site.

WD, If the maps were made available on WW, many of us dusty wooters could help support the Society! It would go well with the DeLong chart.

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm
kblais wrote:*snip* I had a bottle of the Block 13 open, and used it to provide a comparison, but I won't compare here. *snip*

Why not? I really loved the Block 13 (especially QPR-wise) and would love to hear your comparison to this wine.

more than enough wine.woots!

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
mlhelm wrote:Why not? I really loved the Block 13 (especially QPR-wise) and would love to hear your comparison to this wine.

they aren't in the same price range. They may both be QPR's but in QPR's of different range. Unless the more expensive one was really bad =P

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm
clayfu wrote:they aren't in the same price range. They may both be QPR's but in QPR's of different range. Unless the more expensive one was really bad =P

Well, I definitely want to hear the comparison if this one blew the Block 13 out of the water. It would be just the push I need to be in for a couple sets.

more than enough wine.woots!

kylemittskus

psmurf wrote:Please say it isn't so(just in case- gotta finish those taxes for a refund).
;)

I totally forgot about that!!! My poor CC.

My happy pallet.

kblais

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kblais

The Block 13 had been open for more than 24 hrs (vacuum sealed), while the Pedemonte was only open for a few hours. I did not think it fair to either wine. Given that, the Block 13 has more bright fruit on the nose, and more prune/plum on the palate; the Pedemonte has a more complex structure with the mineral and earthy notes I don't find in the Block 13.

billmort

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmort
kblais wrote:
Labrat Report on the Cab. (My groveling worked.)

Is it just me, or is that one bigassglass?

kylemittskus

Just checking: I assume that the Emergency Woot Network is up and ready to alert us thankful receivers when a new wine appears?

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Nice report, kblais! Glad you got ratted and thanks for sharing your impressions.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
kylemittskus wrote:Just checking: I assume that the Emergency Woot Network is up and ready to alert us thankful receivers when a new wine appears?

The Emergency Woot Network is indeed up and ready. Anyone interested in text or e-mail notification of wine during the wootoff, click here.

CT | | | | | |

jwhite6114

fairnymph wrote:Nice report, kblais! Glad you got ratted and thanks for sharing your impressions.

Agreed. Very good report!

CT | | | | | |

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh

WD,

Can we expect any wine offerings during the current W/O?

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mgdsh wrote:WD,

Can we expect any wine offerings during the current W/O?

Don't know about wine, but WD indicated that some yummy flavored pistachios (Garlic-Onion, Hickory, Chili-Lemon, and Jalapeno) from Setton Farms. We had them for SoCal #7 and they were very good.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

dnasquesttoblack3000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dnasquesttoblack3000

hey guys, iknow its totally off topic (and, to be honest, i've been kind of busy recently and haven't logged into wine.woot in a bit so am sort of out of the loop), but i'm at a conference in napa right now, and went to visit corison today, and it was probably one of my best winery visits ever. they were SO nice, and treated my entire group wonderfully, and everyone i was with was raving about how enjoyable the entire experience was.

heading up to sonoma in a day or so to check out our favorite woot places very sad to find out KR doesn't do tastings here, though hope to hit up goosecross soon.

-dna

the quest:

1. humbug 2. GV's book 3. Wellington 3+mystery (X2) 4. woot norse thingy with funny bottle (X2) 5. va made me buy gundlach, 6. your mumm 7. willy nilly pinots 8. emergency woot wine 9. fake gunbun, 10. ty field 11. tryasipo'dis

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

Leakfrogs up.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

psssst Adagio rat.... pssst... where are you?

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator

I'm learning so much about wine from w.w--one thing I wish for when I read about new offerings, though, is some kind of comparison to past offerings so far as style goes (not necessarily QPR). So, for example, I'd ask a question like this: "I loved the Gundlach Bundschu Pinot but was disappointed by the Willamette Valley Vineyards; is this new offering more in the style of the Gunbun or the Willamette?" To that end--is the "style" of this Pedemonte similar to any previous offering with which people might be familiar?

(And speaking of--could someone jump in and tell me whether either the GunBun or the Willamette could be classified as "Old World" style or "New World" style? Those are terms that are coming up in conversation about this wine, as well, so it seems like it would be something worth my learning!)

Sorry for the length, but hope this is useful to someone else--

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
psmurf wrote:Please say it isn't so(just in case- gotta finish those taxes for a refund).
;)

Oh no. When this happens my work day is shot. Let alone my checkbook.

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh
dnasquesttoblack3000 wrote:hey guys, iknow its totally off topic (and, to be honest, i've been kind of busy recently and haven't logged into wine.woot in a bit so am sort of out of the loop), but i'm at a conference in napa right now, and went to visit corison today, and it was probably one of my best winery visits ever. they were SO nice, and treated my entire group wonderfully, and everyone i was with was raving about how enjoyable the entire experience was.

heading up to sonoma in a day or so to check out our favorite woot places very sad to find out KR doesn't do tastings here, though hope to hit up goosecross soon.

-dna

We planned on making a trip through Corison, Roessler, Ty Caton, Wellington & maybe another place or 2 on Monday but 2 people in our small group were sick. We've rescheduled for Saturday.

I can't wait.

Unfortunately Titus isn't open on the weekends or on holidays, but I would have loved to visit Titus as well

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

mopsie2002

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mopsie2002
fairnymph wrote:The fantastic Noceto Sangioveses were 100% or pretty darn close, if I recall. Oh, I wish I'd bought three of those!

I'm excited to hear you love Sangiovese, too, btw.

Did I miss these?! Or maybe they were before my time. Hmmmm...when was this? At any rate...alas!

Oregonian through and through <3...even if I call North Carolina my home now.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo

Hi Chris -

What is your address (didn't see it on the website)? I keep a map updated of the woot wineries.

Thanks.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
mgdsh wrote:We planned on making a trip through Corison, Roessler, Ty Caton, Wellington & maybe another place or 2 on Monday but 2 people in our small group were sick. We've rescheduled for Saturday.

I can't wait.

Unfortunately Titus isn't open on the weekends or on holidays, but I would have loved to visit Titus as well

And not going to make it to Dark & Delicious on Friday? You'll be missing out on the PSychos (and WD & WF!)

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
mopsie2002 wrote:Did I miss these?! Or maybe they were before my time. Hmmmm...when was this? At any rate...alas!

toothy is 100% sangiovese, unless my memory fails me.

edit: as long as I'm here, is there going to be a shortcut? hint on product/time?

signed.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
bardolator wrote:(And speaking of--could someone jump in and tell me whether either the GunBun or the Willamette could be classified as "Old World" style or "New World" style? Those are terms that are coming up in conversation about this wine, as well, so it seems like it would be something worth my learning!)

That's pretty subjective. On the extreme ends of the spectrum:

Old World = barnyard, earth, dirt, veggie, low alcohol, dry, austere, lighter body

New World = ginormous fruit, dominant oak/vanilla, high alcohol, sweet, hedonistic, viscous motor oil mouth feel

But really either stereotype is an example of an unbalanced wine that's really not all that good. Old vs. New is a question of sitting more towards one end of the spectrum than the other because the extremes are pretty unpleasant.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
bardolator wrote:(And speaking of--could someone jump in and tell me whether either the GunBun or the Willamette could be classified as "Old World" style or "New World" style? Those are terms that are coming up in conversation about this wine, as well, so it seems like it would be something worth my learning!)

Sorry for the length, but hope this is useful to someone else--

"new world" and "old world" tend to be rather large umbrella terms for a range of styles. I haven't had the GunBun, but I had other wines from them and they, as well as the Willamette VV would both be classified as "new world" (though I have higher end WVV still left to drink).

Typically when someone says "old world" they mean a classically-styled wine with low/moderate alcohol, picked at low brix, moderate oak with high acidity, and having lots of "complexity" (some might say "contaminated"), especially on the nose where often there will be lots of earth, "forest floor", pencil shavings, graphite, bacon, smoke, funk, mushrooms, leather, vegetative/green flavors, and other things that could be called flaws in larger quantities but that some people love in small amounts.

"new world" is a bit more difficult to pin down. While it generally includes fruit-forward, mid-high brix/alcohol (due to both growing conditions and stylistic choices), low acidity, lush, ripe (some might say "over ripe"), uncontaminated wines with lots of new oak that are often very drinkable young, the new world also produces a number of "classically-styled" wines that have good acidity and balance, medium/low alcohol, but which are distinctly Californian, or Oregonian, etc. and would never be accused of being "old world".

While many of the woot offerings have been nicely balanced, I haven't had a wine from Wine Woot that I would describe as "old world" (though the Zahtilla certainly had enough pencil shavings to qualify).

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

jwhite6114

mopsie2002 wrote:Did I miss these?! Or maybe they were before my time. Hmmmm...when was this? At any rate...alas!

You missed them:

- Vino Noceto Sangiovese and Zinfandel Trio + One - 8/28/2006
- Vino Noceto Quartet - 12/10/2007

CT | | | | | |

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
andyduncan wrote:the new world also produces a number of "classically-styled" wines that have good acidity and balance, medium/low alcohol, but which are distinctly Californian, or Oregonian, etc. and would never be accused of being "old world".

Great point. Even the most Old World of Cali wines are still pretty New World. Many higher acidity New World wines (Iron Horse Cab Franc, for example) are still balanced towards fruit instead of animals/plants. These are my favorites since they combine "classical" structure (and usually elegance) with a uniquely New World fruit profile.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 35 Private Messages woopdedoo
woopdedoo wrote:Hi Chris -

What is your address (didn't see it on the website)? I keep a map updated of the woot wineries.

Thanks.

My best guess is 710 W. Napa in Sonoma - is that correct?