Volunteer Moderator

Chaucer's Mead - Four Pack
$44.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Honeyed
Products:
2 Chaucer's Mead - 750 mL
2 Chaucer's Raspberry Mead - 500 mL

Note the different sizes.

Not planning on putting up CT links for these.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney

glad I actually wanted it
First sucker: bkarney

CT

nytimez

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nytimez

Their regular mead is fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of the raspberry or I'd be in for some, but if you like mead this is quality stuff.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Impressive

And gee I'll be around during the day Friday, hmm...

houtx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages houtx

The mead is great. I love it (though bottle to bottle variability is high). This doesn't appear to be a good deal vs. local prices, though: http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf?body=%2Fcgi-bin%2Fsearch&keyword=chaucer&x=0&y=0&Category=Entire+Store|...|All+Items

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
bkarney wrote:glad I actually wanted it
First sucker: bkarney

Nice first sucker! It figures I just bought a bottle of the Mead in Michigan over the weekend. I will probably be in though cuz I know my dad wants to try some.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

LMNOP

quality posts: 1 Private Messages LMNOP

i've never had the raspberry mead, but i can assure you the normal mead is awesome! the first time i brought a bottle home, my friends drank it all before i could get any, so i had to go get another one! it was great though, yummmm...

mgdsh

quality posts: 10 Private Messages mgdsh

A trio was offered almost 1 year ago:

Blog Entry

& the comments.

Favorites: Corison/Helios Cabs/Cab Franc, TyCaton Cab/TyTaniun & Field Blend, Roessler Pinots, Krupp Verasion Synchrony, Kent Rasmussen PS & Titus Lot 1

DefilerZ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DefilerZ

My 1st woot wine sale! (I have lots of others on the other 2) I have to send it to my apt, but I am not there all of the time... I hope they catch me while I am there so I can send for it. My business does not like if I send stuff there,

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

What is mead? I'm not sure what it is. What does it taste like? I get that it's honey wine, but I thought the w.w community might be able to give me more insight into it. Thanks.

houtx

quality posts: 5 Private Messages houtx
CAGrl wrote:What is mead? I'm not sure what it is. What does it taste like? I get that it's honey wine, but I thought the w.w community might be able to give me more insight into it. Thanks.

Fermented honey. Replace grape juice with honey, and process as wine (maybe not 100% correct, but close enough? maybe?)

To me, it tastes like sweet grape wine with massive honey notes. Taste good honey sometime, and try to isolate the flavor from the sweetness, and then add that to a sweet muscat, and you have a good approximation of mead (to me).

glassmusic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glassmusic

the 750 of the regular flavor is on sale at BevMo for 9.99 right now.

detente

quality posts: 2 Private Messages detente

I bought 3 bottles of Chaucer's Mead three years ago and I was wonderfully impressed.

I am a fan of mead. My grandfather used to make it. I thoroughly enjoyed the Chaucer's brand. I only had the regular at the time, but my girlfriend and I loved it.

If my state allowed shipments of wine, I'd be in for 3 to supply the restaurant that I manage. This is a great wine for late winter. I recommend it served warm with mulling spices. The Chaucer's that I drank before stands out from other meads that I have consumed. I think I paid $35 for the quarter-case, so this isn't a bad deal at all...especially when you consider shipping.

wootlurking

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootlurking

Arrgh ye scurvy devils! The title sayeth 4 bottles yet the product description sayeth 2 750 mL regular and 1 500 mL raspberry. Henceforth I place the order and proceed to the confirmation page the title pronounceth 4 bottles but farther hence it proclaims just 1 bottle of each. Arrgh Woot, takest thou me for a fool or hast thou been sampling too much o' the wares, maties?

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
houtx wrote:Fermented honey. Replace grape juice with honey, and process as wine (maybe not 100% correct, but close enough? maybe?)

To me, it tastes like sweet grape wine with massive honey notes. Taste good honey sometime, and try to isolate the flavor from the sweetness, and then add that to a sweet muscat, and you have a good approximation of mead (to me).

Thanks. That helps to put it into perspective for me.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
wootlurking wrote:Arrgh ye scurvy devils! The title sayeth 4 bottles yet the product description sayeth 2 750 mL regular and 1 500 mL raspberry. Henceforth I place the order and proceed to the confirmation page the title pronounceth 4 bottles but farther hence it proclaims just 1 bottle of each. Arrgh Woot, takest thou me for a fool or hast thou been sampling too much o' the wares, maties?

guilty.. 4 bottles 'tis.

nvaine

quality posts: 63 Private Messages nvaine

I owe a serious thank you to a friend who loves this stuff. Thanks wine.woot!

Quelin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Quelin

Almost a year to the week since I last bought a box.

Chaucer's Mead Trio 2/23/08 1 blog discuss

--sot--

delikad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages delikad
CAGrl wrote:What is mead? I'm not sure what it is. What does it taste like? I get that it's honey wine, but I thought the w.w community might be able to give me more insight into it. Thanks.

Google for "mead taste" or something similar and you'll find some interesting forum posts and articles.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

BevMo has the regular mead for $9.99. The Raspberry is not available.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

DefilerZ

kylemittskus wrote:BevMo has the regular mead for $9.99. The Raspberry is not available.

ugh... definately should have waited before springing then.. I have a bevmo near me I think. Oh... still good mead I hope.

myrlin

quality posts: 9 Private Messages myrlin
DefilerZ wrote:ugh... definately should have waited before springing then.. I have a bevmo near me I think. Oh... still good mead I hope.

Binnys in Chicago has for 11.99 for the Mead, no listing for the Raspberry.

Can someone convince me the 2 small bottles are worth 12 each? (high chicago taxes) I have never had raspberry mead before, is it similar to a lambic (without the bubbles)?

008 Barrels of Crud
183 Bottles of Juice

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Do you drink this warm, cool, or cold?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
kylemittskus wrote:
Do you drink this warm, cool, or cold?

Cool, given your spectrum. There's very little one would drink 'cold', as that tends to suppress the aromas and flavors.

MADMAX22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MADMAX22

So is it 4 bottles or two of the regular and one of the raspberry?

DefilerZ

MADMAX22 wrote:So is it 4 bottles or two of the regular and one of the raspberry?

2 original mead 750 ml
2 raspberry mead 500 ml

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
yumitori wrote:Cool, given your spectrum. There's very little one would drink 'cold', as that tends to suppress the aromas and flavors.

Actually you can drink the Mead warm as well. There's a receipe (and mulling spices) that usually comes with it that explains how to heat it.

The Maiden's Hot Spiced Mead Receipe

• Pour 1/2 or full bottle of Chaucer's Mead into a medium-sized saucepan
  • Drop in spice bag(2) (one spice bag for half bottle, two spice bags for full bottle)
  • Let the bag(s) steep over mdium heat for 5-10 minutes or until Mead has reached the desired spiciness. Do not bring to a boil.
  • Remove spice bag(s) and pour hot-spiced Mead into a favorit goblet, mug, or glass

Cheers!

Spice bag ingredients: cinnamon, orange peel, clove, and other natural ingredients.

It came with the Mead in last year's offer.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

blahmcblah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages blahmcblah

Just because no one else has, and I can't remember if I did the last time I did it and I'm too lazy to look it up, I'm popping the kosher question. Thanks in advance, mystery answer person!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

This offer last year was my first labrat (Raspberry Mead), so here is a copy of my report (remember, it came with a Golden Ticket):

With apologies to Charlie & the Chocolate Factory:

There’s no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going
There’s no knowing where the bottle’s flowing
Is it Raining (Yes)
Is it Snowing (No)
Is a Hurricane a-blowing (Not Yet)
Not a speck of light is showing
We must have had too much Mead a-flowing!

Initial impressions: Smell and taste light honey, not overwhelming. Not sure about the raspberry.

Part 3 (no son in sight):

And again, apologies to Charlie & the Chocolate Factory:

OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DOO
I've got a perfect puzzle for you
OOMPA LOOMPA, DOOMPADAH DEE
If you are wise you will listen to me
What do you get when you guzzle down Meads
Drinking as much as Bhodilee needs
Raspberry Mead is terribly good
And it goes down like an ice wine should

OOMPA LOOMPA DOOMPADEE DAH
If you’re not greedy you will go far,
you will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa Doompadee Do, Doompadee Do!

Dessert Impressions: I felt it's not as good as an Ice Wine, Muscat, or Sauternes for a dessert wine; however, it nicely complemented the chocolate marzipan I tasted it with (Chocolate, Espresso, & Orange) along with some other chocolates.

Overall, it will do nicely on a hot summer day, but I wouldn’t have it in place of a regular dessert wine. I do like my whites and blush wines to be sweeter, and while sweet, I felt the honey was overwhelming the raspberry too much. And as Pagreen mentioned, I would have preferred a little more raspberry aroma and flavor. I couldn't really get that much raspberry (either aroma or flavor) out of the Raspberry Mead.

Hope this helps ....

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

blahmcblah

quality posts: 5 Private Messages blahmcblah
blahmcblah wrote:Just because no one else has, and I can't remember if I did the last time I did it and I'm too lazy to look it up, I'm popping the kosher question. Thanks in advance, mystery answer person!

Whoops, so I guess I did ask it the last time, but the Bargetto dude said there's nothing in there that isn't kosher. Sadly, that's not the same thing as kosher. I might end up buying it anyway just for myself, but hopefully they've got a more definitive answer this time.

meredithsg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages meredithsg
kylemittskus wrote:Do you drink this warm, cool, or cold?

In the summer serve cold, in the winter mead is a great to mull with spices and serve warm

yessrinc

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yessrinc
MarkDaSpark wrote:It came with the Mead in last year's offer.

Got it the first time around and the crowd liked it better warm with the mulling spices. Anyone out there to confirm whether the mulling spices are included in this WW offering?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

How good is this deal?

As usual, click the link above for CT prices, winery links (What? No one posted a link to the winery, yet? Well here is a link to the winery: http://www.chaucerswine.com/), and deal comparison info.

CT links included as well. What? No one posted CT links, yet, either?

Chaucer's Mead - 750 mL
Chaucer's Raspberry Mead - 500 mL

CT | | | | | |

frog6619

quality posts: 0 Private Messages frog6619

I have never ordered wine online. I just ordered the JanKris sampler x 2. I am usually not home until around 4 or 6pm. I put my next door neighbor's address down because it states that it must be delivered to someone 21 or older, and not drunk.

My neighbor is an older gentleman who is home during the day. After putting in my order I considered the fact that he could be drunk. He is drunk often drunk in the evenings when I am chatting with him outside. I would hope he was sober during the day, but I don't know for sure.

My question is- What happens if they were to deliver to my address and I am not home? Usually when I am not home, packages are left outside my door.

Is it too late to change to shipping address, back to my address?

The JanKris wine was my first woot purchase and I am very excited!

kwood

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kwood

Anyone know how this compares to the Bunratty mead?

threemoons

quality posts: 18 Private Messages threemoons

I've had this before, and I've had other brands of mead before, and this rates a solid meh.

It's novel the first time but unless you are doing hardcore Medieval cooking or something it's really very cloying. It's the kind of thing where I would think about picking up one bottle once in a blue moon but not 4 at a go, especially given my recent woot-related purchase binge.

yellowjepy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yellowjepy
frog6619 wrote:I have never ordered wine online. I just ordered the JanKris sampler x 2. I am usually not home until around 4 or 6pm. I put my next door neighbor's address down because it states that it must be delivered to someone 21 or older, and not drunk.

My neighbor is an older gentleman who is home during the day. After putting in my order I considered the fact that he could be drunk. He is drunk often drunk in the evenings when I am chatting with him outside. I would hope he was sober during the day, but I don't know for sure.

My question is- What happens if they were to deliver to my address and I am not home? Usually when I am not home, packages are left outside my door.

After UPS attempts shipping, and no one is home they'll leave a little yellow post-it on the door. then you can call UPS to change the deliver address. I had to do that last time b/c I wasn't home for 3 delivery asttempts and I was afraid they were going to send my wine back! UPS, i think, will only do 3 delivery attempts.

rugrats2001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001

I'm always a little worried about buying non-vintage wines online. Is there any way to tell the difference between bottles at their 'peak of freshness' versus over-the-hill 5 year old cases that have been stored out in the shed for 4 summers?

cadet526

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cadet526
frog6619 wrote:I have never ordered wine online. I just ordered the JanKris sampler x 2. I am usually not home until around 4 or 6pm. I put my next door neighbor's address down because it states that it must be delivered to someone 21 or older, and not drunk.

If you the UPS is center is near your house you can just go pick it up. The one near me lets me pickup until 7pm. I think after 3 attempts though they return it to sender.