boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72
kylemittskus wrote:Still resisting. I'm hoping that Ms. Corison will be back Thursday with a more approachable offering. If she isn't, I will probably have to order some from her site. I just can't do it this month. My ability is subject to change though with the rat and with these boards and RPM saying top of the cabs, etc.

Understand completely and hoping for the same.

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970

wow, I can't believe there was a rat on this offering. Wonder if that person was sent a 375ml?

Also: when I received my golden ticket several months ago, there was a reference to an upcoming woot offering, private label, of Shnozberry (in honor of Veruca Salt). Is this going ot happen or is it just a tall tale?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
boatman72 wrote: Maybe some day I'll take in a tour...sounded like a riot. Just not sure if I can tank all of that wine each day.

Wonder if there will be another tour, but practice your swish and spit. Only way to handle all that wine. I can't recall exact count, but we had a huge number of wines by lunch. Palate fatigue still comes in. But by dinner time, we were dying to just drink a glass.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
polarbear22 wrote:Wonder if there will be another tour, but practice your swish and spit. Only way to handle all that wine. I can't recall exact count, but we had a huge number of wines by lunch. Palate fatigue still comes in. But by dinner time, we were dying to just drink a glass.

for more on that, talk to woop

boatman72

cathycorison wrote:Cellared well, I know it will still be evolving in 20 years based on the track record of my earlier vintages. I suspect it will be interesting longer than that, moving into a "peak" that is bottle-bouquet driven with the fruit mostly gone. I love watching a great wine over time. It's alive.

Cathy...thanks for the information. The wine may be alive, but in twenty years I'll be 80. How will I navigate the steps to get down to the basement? Best put a clause in my will to have everyone suck it up before I get planted or take it with me. Where I'm going, the heat may make me thirsty real quick!! :-)

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf
hld1970 wrote:wow, I can't believe there was a rat on this offering. Wonder if that person was sent a 375ml?

Also: when I received my golden ticket several months ago, there was a reference to an upcoming woot offering, private label, of Shnozberry (in honor of Veruca Salt). Is this going ot happen or is it just a tall tale?

Now that would be totally kewl- another Woot private label. Shnozberry... I'm in already.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
boatman72 wrote:Hey, we are all wine lovers. You'll find a mix of opinions on this site, but that's because we are unique animals! Oh...and RPM is always right on the mark. Maybe some day I'll take in a tour...sounded like a riot. Just not sure if I can tank all of that wine each day.

How's your Summer looking?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

hld1970 wrote:wow, I can't believe there was a rat on this offering. Wonder if that person was sent a 375ml?

It's a joke Shnozberry? There's no such thing!

jdabrowski1027

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jdabrowski1027

I am the rat, a lucky rat at that.

Disclaimer - I am a huge fan of Cathy's wines. Her unique style has been the topic of conversation (and libation) at a number of family holiday dinners. If you never have been to the winery, it is worth the trip. Absolutly beautiful Kronos vineyard, and some of the nicest people you can meet. Corison was the fan favorite of a "wine-crawl" I organized for my friends in October.

This is actually my second time enjoying Kronos Vineyard. The first was the 2003 on the said wine-crawl, while enjoying some deli sandwiches... not exactly the gourmet meal that many would think. It got the job done on our way up Howell Mountain to Neal Family.

At this stage in the wines evolution, it is best consumed with food (I had an Italian in the fall, Ribeye tonight) as the combination of structure and acidity need balance. As many have already noted, this wine has serious aging potential. Paired with the right food (and decanting) today, it's ready to rock. Or you can stash it away and let it evolve. I plan on doing both.

Some nerdy wine speak:

-Cathy's wines always have such balance between fresh fruit and structure, silk and complexity

-lots of fruit on the nose, blackberry, chocolate covered rasberries, floral, and some spices
-alcohol and oak ($1200 barrels and it's not showing...job well done) are well integrated. Balance.
-dusty tannins... and concentrated
-finish that lingers for days

Regardless of what you think about a wine of this cost, the key point is that you enjoy it - hopefully with some close friends/family. I really do not care if you are rich or poor, tall or short, white or green - This is what wine is all about.

Thanks to Woot for hooking me up today, and for all the great deals they constantly pass along.

Enjoy.

cheron98

jdabrowski1027 wrote:I am the rat, a lucky rat at that.

It's as if a thousand voices cried out all at once, and were suddenly silenced.

Congrats on the rattery! An excellent first post!

hld1970

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hld1970
cheron98 wrote:It's a joke Shnozberry? There's no such thing!

Of course there's no such thing. But the golden ticket makes reference to a future wine woot offering by this name.

boatman72

cheron98 wrote:How's your Summer looking?

Live in Ohio south of Cleveland, work in Cleveland. Jana Harvey told me she grew up in an eastern burg of Cleveland. Wonder if she'll make the trip with Scott, then see family.
I've migrated from white to red, but bought the Swedish for my daughter's friend. Drank a lot of white in Germany for two years. I've gotta see where Traverse City is...think it's up in northern MI. Might be able to drive it, that way if I buy, I can bring it home easily with the top down on the G6. I can already visualize boxes stacked in the back seat!!!! I'll have to check out the wineries....I hate Catawba and Concord grape based wines...yuk and a headache. Does anyone have a list of all of the wineries that would be visited?? VERY INTERESTING

boatman72

Some nerdy wine speak:

-Cathy's wines always have such balance between fresh fruit and structure, silk and complexity

-lots of fruit on the nose, blackberry, chocolate covered rasberries, floral, and some spices
-alcohol and oak ($1200 barrels and it's not showing...job well done) are well integrated. Balance.

Regardless of what you think about a wine of this cost, the key point is that you enjoy it - hopefully with some close friends/family. I really do not care if you are rich or poor, tall or short, white or green - This is what wine is all about.

Thanks to Woot for hooking me up today, and for all the great deals they constantly pass along.

Enjoy.

Ok Kolbasi Kid...did ya pop the cork and report in the wine speak, or are you being a Stash and stashing it away for a rainy day?

nematic

quality posts: 6 Private Messages nematic
boatman72 wrote: I'll have to check out the wineries....I hate Catawba and Concord grape based wines...yuk and a headache.

Most of the people who make them hate them as well, but they are fantastic sellers with the general public. Largest selling wine in the finger lakes is catawba based (I'd say largest selling NY-made wine, but that prize belongs to arbor mist)

cheron98

boatman72 wrote:Live in Ohio south of Cleveland, work in Cleveland. Jana Harvey told me she grew up in an eastern burg of Cleveland. Wonder if she'll make the trip with Scott, then see family.
I've migrated from white to red, but bought the Swedish for my daughter's friend. Drank a lot of white in Germany for two years. I've gotta see where Traverse City is...think it's up in northern MI. Might be able to drive it, that way if I buy, I can bring it home easily with the top down on the G6. I can already visualize boxes stacked in the back seat!!!! I'll have to check out the wineries....I hate Catawba and Concord grape based wines...yuk and a headache. Does anyone have a list of all of the wineries that would be visited?? VERY INTERESTING

Go check in the thread, I'm responding there.

boatman72

nematic wrote:Most of the people who make them hate them as well, but they are fantastic sellers with the general public. Largest selling wine in the finger lakes is catawba based (I'd say largest selling NY-made wine, but that prize belongs to arbor mist)

Probably right, those little ole grannies love that syrupy headbanger stuff, but they sip it slowly. God bless them!!!

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

Disclaimer - I am a huge fan of Cathy's wines. Her unique style has been the topic of conversation (and libation) at a number of family holiday dinners. If you never have been to the winery, it is worth the trip. Absolutly beautiful Kronos vineyard, and some of the nicest people you can meet. Corison was the fan favorite of a "wine-crawl" I organized for my friends in October.

This is actually my second time enjoying Kronos Vineyard. The first was the 2003 on the said wine-crawl, while enjoying some deli sandwiches... not exactly the gourmet meal that many would think. It got the job done on our way up Howell Mountain to Neal Family.

At this stage in the wines evolution, it is best consumed with food (I had an Italian in the fall, Ribeye tonight) as the combination of structure and acidity need balance. As many have already noted, this wine has serious aging potential. Paired with the right food (and decanting) today, it's ready to rock. Or you can stash it away and let it evolve. I plan on doing both.

Some nerdy wine speak:

Enjoy.

with the chocolate covered strawberry nose do you taste chocolate/cocoa/mocha/creme on the palate?

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
boatman72 wrote:...and RPM is always right on the mark.

not to be argumentative for its own sake, but i concur - if your palate happens to match his. whether that is the case is something that you must determine for yourself before embracing his recommendations. if it does, then you are in luck, for he seems to be incredibly consistent in his assessments across wines (which is more than many professional wine judges can say, as documented elsewhere in these forums). if it does not, then no worries: that subjective variability is the lot of the wineau. just my $0.02.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

clayfu

themostrighteous wrote:not to be argumentative for its own sake, but i concur - if your palate happens to match his. whether that is the case is something that you must determine for yourself before embracing his recommendations. if it does, then you are in luck, for he seems to be incredibly consistent in his assessments across wines (which is more than many professional wine judges can say, as documented elsewhere in these forums). if it does not, then no worries: that subjective variability is the lot of the wineau. just my $0.02.

truth

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
hanchyang wrote:The balsamic vinegar might be the priciest by volume at $35 for 250 ml. It was also well-received.

Good point. I was only looking at per-bottle price (and wine, to boot).

CT | | | | | |

sherrileg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sherrileg

When I first saw the price on this I was relieved at first, because I knew I wasn't going to pay that much for a wine I have never tried.

THEN I started reading the comments. I SHOULD NOT HAVE READ THE COMMENTS!

Currently, I am only trying to decide whether I should get 1, 2 or 3.

I'll sleep on it another night. Let's see if it lasts long enough for me to make my decision.

You won't wake up. You're not dreaming. This is all real.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

Well, after reading 12 pages of comments, I finally caved and got two. So much for my S(WMBO)IWBM this month!

Edit: What a great wine to put me over the top and turn black!

tomaste

quality posts: 13 Private Messages tomaste
cheron98 wrote:It's a joke Shnozberry? There's no such thing!

Willy Wonka: The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.
Veruca Salt: Snozzberries? Who ever heard of a snozzberry?
Willy Wonka: *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
tomaste wrote:Willy Wonka: The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries.
Veruca Salt: Snozzberries? Who ever heard of a snozzberry?
Willy Wonka: *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

I am dreaming right now of a wine.woot PS called "Snozzberries."

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmanlp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmanlp
gcdyersb wrote:I'd be worried about travel shock. All the jostling during shipping could stir up sediment, especially the more bitter phenolic compounds and tartrate crystals that have precipitated out. Or maybe travel shock is a myth. But for this price, I would not chance it.

Bottle shock is real, through extensive testing (drinking) and talking to some of my professors I have found that a bottle of shipped wine seems to have similar characteristics to a bottle that was recently bottled. While this is not always the case and depends on how it was handled/shipped, I have found that 2 weeks are a minimum time for me to wait, and 3 weeks is what I normally wait for the wine to return to equilibrium.

clayfu

jmanlp wrote:Bottle shock is real, through extensive testing (drinking) and talking to some of my professors I have found that a bottle of shipped wine seems to have similar characteristics to a bottle that was recently bottled. While this is not always the case and depends on how it was handled/shipped, I have found that 2 weeks are a minimum time for me to wait, and 3 weeks is what I normally wait for the wine to return to equilibrium.

I've had a wine in my car then to a plane...from the plane to a subway ...from the subway walked 2 miles with it in my suitcase (bump bump)... then the next morning took it in the car drove for 2 hours ...let it sit at my friend's house for a few hours and ... I drank it. In the span of 24 hours this bottle has traversed nearly 600 miles on foot, car, subway, and plane.

Delicious 1996 Kistler Durrel Vineyard Chard. So delicious in fact it was appointed WOTN among far fancier wines. The GM @ Ad Hoc even came by specifically to detail how much he enjoyed this wine out of all the white burgs/napa chards he drank that day.

Above story is not the only time i have enjoyed great wine after it's been on the long road but it's the only one i can remember others loving the wine as well.

Safe to say I don't believe in travel shock (maybe it occurs, I just haven't experienced it?). But I do believe in bottle shock itself of course but i'm not sure how much wine I own i receive within the first 2-3 months of bottling.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

rpm wrote:I thought Toothy was thoroughly enjoyable for current drinking. I agree that it was probably better than EHP. I still have a couple of bottles of it to go with Italian food.

Had a bottle of the TS over the last 2 nights and really enjoyed it. I'll likely hit a bottle of EHP tomorrow & Thursday. My take on it last time was that it was way too tart and may be more of a summer/winter '09 wine.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
jammav wrote:Cathy won't be in San Diego, but I will be there pouring, and in Pasadena as well. Please come by the Corison table.

Joyce

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Pasadena says trade only ......

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
clayfu wrote:I've had a wine in my car then to a plane...from the plane to a subway ...from the subway walked 2 miles with it in my suitcase (bump bump)... then the next morning took it in the car drove for 2 hours ...let it sit at my friend's house for a few hours and ... I drank it. In the span of 24 hours this bottle has traversed nearly 600 miles on foot, car, subway, and plane.

Delicious 1996 Kistler Durrel Vineyard Chard. So delicious in fact it was appointed WOTN among far fancier wines. The GM @ Ad Hoc even came by specifically to detail how much he enjoyed this wine out of all the white burgs/napa chards he drank that day.

Above story is not the only time i have enjoyed great wine after it's been on the long road but it's the only one i can remember others loving the wine as well.

Safe to say I don't believe in travel shock (maybe it occurs, I just haven't experienced it?). But I do believe in bottle shock itself of course but i'm not sure how much wine I own i receive within the first 2-3 months of bottling.

I think a lot depends on the varietal. IMO, Pinot Noirs are a lot more sensitive to travel shock. I think that is what happened to the PN I opened as a volunteer labrat (i.e., one of my ordered bottles and not sent by WD as an official Labrat) last year. It also depends on the age of the bottle.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05
MarkDaSpark wrote:NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Pasadena says trade only ......

Create a blog... submit yourself as "media" Better yet get someone you know with an established blog or website to list you as "contributing writer" ... not that I've ever done that or anything. ;-)

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

spdrcr05

sherrileg wrote:When I first saw the price on this I was relieved at first, because I knew I wasn't going to pay that much for a wine I have never tried.

I'll sleep on it another night. Let's see if it lasts long enough for me to make my decision.

3. I bet you'll never be able to get it at anything close to this price again.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

spdrcr05

MarkDaSpark wrote:I think a lot depends on the varietal. IMO, Pinot Noirs are a lot more sensitive to travel shock. I think that is what happened to the PN I opened as a volunteer labrat (i.e., one of my ordered bottles and not sent by WD as an official Labrat) last year. It also depends on the age of the bottle.

When I ratted the Chateau Souverain PN last year, my sense (and as I stated in my report) at the time was that the wine needed more bottle time. The one of my purchases I recently sampled bears that out as it was noticeably better. Bottle Shock? Possibly.

BigWetDog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigWetDog

Yay! My coworkers finally dragged me back to this site after not visiting for almost 3 months. Just in time to use my bday discount and score a thank you present for my crazy wino uncle (who has more taste in his pinky than I'm likely to develop in the rest of my days.)

[size=18][color=red]PURPLE![/color][/size] is the full extent of my coding skill

sherrileg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sherrileg
spdrcr05 wrote:3. I bet you'll never be able to get it at anything close to this price again.

You're killing me. I know you're right... hm,,,,, Unless it's on Woot again!

You won't wake up. You're not dreaming. This is all real.

cathycorison

quality posts: 30 Private Messages cathycorison

I want to let any SF bay area wooters know about a Corison wine dinner at Campon Place next Tuesday. There will be a vertical Corison Napa Valley Cabernet tasting and seminar followed by dinner with wines paired by the chef. We'll be drinking the 2004 Kronos Cabernet with the main course-braised rib of prime beef. The phone number for reservations is 415.955.5574. Early Valentine's dinner?

dherbie

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dherbie

It was all too much. The stars were aligned. My woot birthday month. A wine from a winery that I had gone to with a friend who will be getting married this summer. The love month. Although I believe in free will, I had to purchase...and when I am in for a penny I am in for a pound, picked up 3...

An economist is someone who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today - Lawrence J. Peter
For those of you who laughed at the above quote: www.wine-economics.org

billmort

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billmort
kylemittskus wrote: This is in bold because it's very important.

Among all the discussion, I don't want it to get lost in the fray that the number of times you have posted to Wine Woot's forum does not determine whether you get into heaven... or how much do or don't know about wine. Believe it or not there *are* many people who pulled many corks before Wine Woot came along.

koneco

quality posts: 16 Private Messages koneco

I am going on a business trip in two weeks, and I will be getting at LEAST 20 hours of overtime ...

CAN I JUSTIFY THREE? One for my dad ... for father's day, birthday, and two to LEAVE at the house in Michigan until we forget about them.

DAMN IT! DAMN DAMN DAMN. I still cannot do it.

cheron98

spdrcr05 wrote:Create a blog... submit yourself as "media" Better yet get someone you know with an established blog or website to list you as "contributing writer" ... not that I've ever done that or anything. ;-)

Whaddya know, I have an established blog. *cough cough*

rlrct

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rlrct
sherrileg wrote:When I first saw the price on this I was relieved at first, because I knew I wasn't going to pay that much for a wine I have never tried.

Understand that feeling!

M-U-S-T keep mouse away from big yellow button ...